Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Illness? I Think Not.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 7pounds

7pounds

Just Registered

ID: 71463

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 02:24 AM

why is it that unhappy people are considered ill? i'm pretty much incapable of being content and am just very pessimistic about life and humanity. now i count that as clear vision and being a realist. everything I've been through up to this point has made me the way i am. I am not ill. I see things clearly. i'm 35 and have many friends and live an active life. I would never just up and **** myself because thats a selfish hurtful thing to do. but the movie 7 pounds intrigues me and i'm thinking thats a great route to take. i've thought of that since way before i saw the movie . i liken it to taking a good transmission out of a car with a bad engine and putting it in a car with a good engine and bad transmission. isn't it better to have one working car than two broken down cars? before someone begins the whole value of life crap, i say the only in life is what you do. so i'm thinking over the next 7-8 months I'll get my body healthy and save some lives of people who want to be here. i hate this place and i hate humanity more than i love it.

#2 solarflare

solarflare

ID: 66099

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 02:46 AM

why is it that unhappy people are considered ill? i'm pretty much incapable of being content and am just very pessimistic about life and humanity. now i count that as clear vision and being a realist. everything I've been through up to this point has made me the way i am. I am not ill. I see things clearly. i'm 35 and have many friends and live an active life. I would never just up and **** myself because thats a selfish hurtful thing to do. but the movie 7 pounds intrigues me and i'm thinking thats a great route to take. i've thought of that since way before i saw the movie . i liken it to taking a good transmission out of a car with a bad engine and putting it in a car with a good engine and bad transmission. isn't it better to have one working car than two broken down cars? before someone begins the whole value of life crap, i say the only in life is what you do. so i'm thinking over the next 7-8 months I'll get my body healthy and save some lives of people who want to be here. i hate this place and i hate humanity more than i love it.

Why don't you get healthy and help others with their emotional struggles, physical challenges......give your love? Why be a martyr? There are ways to feel good by being of service to others. Thanks for reminding me why I am here. I need a kick start. I don't see myself as being ILL with depression, but my brain does not work "normally" I do have a neurochemical imbalance...wha wha...Time to stop being the victim?
I know how it feels to be angry at the world and disappointed in life.

Imagine a giant asteroid on a direct collision course with Earth. That is the equivalent of what we face now [with climate change], yet we dither.

(James Hansen, Climate Scientist)

The sane people are unable to see the truth, even though they are convinced that they are the ones in touch with reality. It is only an insane man who is able to realize the degenerative nature of the ...... system.

#3 7pounds

7pounds

Just Registered

ID: 71463

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 03:11 AM

Why don't you get healthy and help others with their emotional struggles, physical challenges......give your love? Why be a martyr? There are ways to feel good by being of service to others. Thanks for reminding me why I am here. I need a kick start. I don't see myself as being ILL with depression, but my brain does not work "normally" I do have a neurochemical imbalance...wha wha...Time to stop being the victim?
I know how it feels to be angry at the world and disappointed in life.

i think you ask the wrong questions. why not be a "martyr"? whats normal? being happy with the latest lexus? being obsessed with celebrity gossip? i loath normal. don't consider life so valuable. animals just want to live for the sake of living, we should be better than that. life is abundant. i can't help others with emotional struggles because i don't want too and don't understand how to. now i can fully understand how a bad heart could sap happiness and how a good one could revive someones life on many levels. if you think logically, rationally, healthy organs are worth more than life itself. they actually would provide life and are much more rare. only real question is how. i live a lifestyle where i could kind of fade away with out causing too much pain. i live alone and travel a lot. so it's not a big deal to not see individuals for months. i think people should be allowed to check into an organ transplant center and donate themselves entirely.

#4 solarflare

solarflare

ID: 66099

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 02:19 PM

so much pain and sadness, i feel it

Imagine a giant asteroid on a direct collision course with Earth. That is the equivalent of what we face now [with climate change], yet we dither.

(James Hansen, Climate Scientist)

The sane people are unable to see the truth, even though they are convinced that they are the ones in touch with reality. It is only an insane man who is able to realize the degenerative nature of the ...... system.

#5 absurd01

absurd01

ID: 57393

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:58 AM

When a normally functioning person develops a symptom or set of symptoms that cause a dysfunction and/or disability in his life, it becomes an issue that medical doctors have to assess. In some cases, it could be an infection in the brain or a disease. In other cases, it can be cased by life events and its origin may line in the central nervous system, poor coping strategies, psychological vulnerabilities of physiological origin, learned behavioral patterns, etc. To say that depression is not an illness, is incorrect. It needs to be addressed on an individual case by cases basis. But make no mistake of it, the pain, the symptoms, and the affects are real. When otherwise healthy people that love and enjoy living become paralyzed by fear, obsession, depression, compulsion, etc. something has to have gone astray and needs to be addressed. This is not child’s play, it effects people on and individual basis, a family basis and on a societal level. If an otherwise healthy person, even one with a depressed personality, was suddenly thrust into the shoes of someone suffering from severe cases of anxiety, depression, obsessive disorder, ocd, pst, etc. one would see things quite differently.

Most of us want to escape the trouble we are in and become ourselves again. When I am well, I love life though I recognize its dark side. Nonetheless, I live day-to-day, look forward to this and that and generally am happy and fulfilled. When I am ill, I am the complete opposite. All I want it is to escape the misery of being trapped. My only goal is returning to myself and being happy again. I stay inside, avoid social interaction, and work at %50 of myself. I am not a good son, a good sibling, a good friend, a good boyfriend, or citizen. Had this comprised my general personality I would geneally not refer to it as an illness or disorder, but since it is the polar opposite of who I am, it is an illness and/or a disorder, especially when there is nothing situational about it and when it is clear that I want to live life and be free of pain.

Those people who normally have a depressed personality would be wise to do what they can to improve on their perspective outlook on life. It is only right that the medical community, psychologists, counselors and the like look at people who want to die or have no love for life and try and establish a ‘why’ and what can be done. How can a living being, with a survival instinct want to die if not for great pain and suffering being the catalyst. That is abnormal and abnormalities need to be addressed and studied and I believe in most cases treated.

In closing, I would say that even the depressed personality may be ill. The original of his depression and sadness, his desire to die, may itself be traced to a host of infections and abnormalities that could exist since birth and can be corrected by medicine and or treatment of some sort.

Of course this is not just a medical issue or a psychological issue but also a philosophical one. Philosophy is a senior field of study to psychology.

If things are not great in your life, a normal response is to strive to improve them. Many people with very moderate salaries are nonetheless quite happy. Some of them have worked to developed hobbies, read countless books, mental techniques all in the attempt at making life desirable and adding meaning to their life. In fact, some of the most happy people are those without many possessions. We have a choice, do we choose depression, pain and death or do we choose life, health and happiness. And how hard to we strive to improve our condition has everything to do with how we answer the aforementioned question.

#6 xchairity_casex

xchairity_casex

Advanced Member

ID: 43750

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 01:59 AM

i understand what you are saying and not to hurt anyones feelings or saddend anyone or tell people to just give up but i agree. if i personally were to die there would be no exsplosion im alone 24/7 i have no freinds,no job,no family who really cares about me why not give someone wanting and deserving my life?
I f i could get a firm grip on reality- id Choke it.
God is good,but never dance in a small boat
"No fair sky IM the one who feels like Crying..."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users