Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Cymbalta & Wellbutrin Or Effexor & Wellbutrin

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 danutza

danutza

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:34 PM

Hi,
I'm new here although not new to depression. First diagnosed with PPD over 3 years ago - went on Effexor 300mg and then titrated down to zero earlier this year: MArch 1st was first day without any Effexor. I did it extremely slkowly and counted granules and dispensed them in empty gelatin capsules to titrate below 37.5mg. Weaning off Effexor is not easy but I know hot to do it without messing up my life. So, everything was almost fine, with some bad days here and there but all in all I was OK. Then I decided I want to stop smoking. And I did it. Cold turkey! And I'm still quit without any second thoughts.

However, 2 weeks into my quitting I started experiancing major anxiety (which actually also co-existed with my PPD and for which Effexor was a miracle drug). So my dr put me back on Effexor and it helped again. However, I am experiencing again the major weight gain and sleepiness that I went through first time around. Plus constipation and bloating. So we tried Cymbalta (60mg) but I have the exact same side effects: I feel like I could eat myself to death. Bloated, constipated, bad gas (sorry for TMI). Just to mention, this hunger is unrelated to cigarette craving. I have quit more than 3 months ago and cravings came and went away. This is from the AD drugs. Last time on Effexor I packed on 25 punds in less than three months. This time I packed 10 pounds in September only and now I am basically starving myself and not losing anything.

My dr. prescribed 150mg of wellbutrin xl to take along with 30mg of cymbalta. But I wonder if I were not better off with effexor and WB? I think effexor is easier on the liver than cymbalta and combining with wb should be also easier on my body. I'm now wondering what I should do. When I switched from effexor to cymbalta it was quite easy without major brain zaps - titrated down from 150mg to 75mg for 2 days, then added 30 mg cymbalta for a couple of days and then cymbalta 60mgs only. everyhting took less than a week. I wonder if I was to switch cymbalta to effexor with the same dose scheme and maybe then add wb? or shoudl i try wb and once I know if it works then to try to switch to effexor?

I'm really confused as to what i should do. Any input is much appreciated.

#2 lindahurt

lindahurt

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,474 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:49 PM

Hi danutza,

Basically you are asking for medical advice which we can't give you. You will have to ask your doctor about all the possibilities given in your post. Meds effect us differently so not all experience the same side effects. Share your concerns and options with your psychiatrist and they will tell you what is the proper course of action you should take. Hope your combo works for you.

Lindahurt
Even in the most horrific of situations, one's attitude has an enormous role in shaping what happens ~ Viktor Frankl
In you lies the power to choose, to commit - Stephen Convey

The kind of person you want to become is greatly influence by your inner decisions, and not from outside influence alone. We can even under adverse circumstances, decide what shall become of us ~ Brian C. Stiller

Posted Image

#3 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:00 PM

Hi,
I'm new here although not new to depression. First diagnosed with PPD over 3 years ago - went on Effexor 300mg and then titrated down to zero earlier this year: MArch 1st was first day without any Effexor. I did it extremely slkowly and counted granules and dispensed them in empty gelatin capsules to titrate below 37.5mg. Weaning off Effexor is not easy but I know hot to do it without messing up my life. So, everything was almost fine, with some bad days here and there but all in all I was OK. Then I decided I want to stop smoking. And I did it. Cold turkey! And I'm still quit without any second thoughts.

However, 2 weeks into my quitting I started experiancing major anxiety (which actually also co-existed with my PPD and for which Effexor was a miracle drug). So my dr put me back on Effexor and it helped again. However, I am experiencing again the major weight gain and sleepiness that I went through first time around. Plus constipation and bloating. So we tried Cymbalta (60mg) but I have the exact same side effects: I feel like I could eat myself to death. Bloated, constipated, bad gas (sorry for TMI). Just to mention, this hunger is unrelated to cigarette craving. I have quit more than 3 months ago and cravings came and went away. This is from the AD drugs. Last time on Effexor I packed on 25 punds in less than three months. This time I packed 10 pounds in September only and now I am basically starving myself and not losing anything.

My dr. prescribed 150mg of wellbutrin xl to take along with 30mg of cymbalta. But I wonder if I were not better off with effexor and WB? I think effexor is easier on the liver than cymbalta and combining with wb should be also easier on my body. I'm now wondering what I should do. When I switched from effexor to cymbalta it was quite easy without major brain zaps - titrated down from 150mg to 75mg for 2 days, then added 30 mg cymbalta for a couple of days and then cymbalta 60mgs only. everyhting took less than a week. I wonder if I was to switch cymbalta to effexor with the same dose scheme and maybe then add wb? or shoudl i try wb and once I know if it works then to try to switch to effexor?

I'm really confused as to what i should do. Any input is much appreciated.

You may also want to check some of the posts in the Effexor and Wellbutrin forums where people relate their experiences on these medications, although your MD can give the best advice!

Hope you do well on whatever you are put on!

Sincerely,

MaddieLouise
Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 topgunsamus

topgunsamus

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:59 PM

Did you ever think about trying xanax for the anxiety? welbutrin also may make you feel jittery, which may increase anxiety.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users