Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Vivid Dreams, Sleep.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Fiddynick

Fiddynick

ID: 9018

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 12:27 PM

Hello I am almost two months in on cymbalta.
I take 30mg a day.
And every night for the past week I will get really vivid,
real feeling dreams.
From me in tornados, to me with random girls, work etc.
Also my sleep dose not seem restfull. I take my pill in the morning
and dont seem to get a regular sleep habit,mainly the net that keeps me up.
seems as if I stay awake untill I can not keep my eyes open. 1-2am. wake up at 9am
anyway just trying to vent and see if others have the same, or advice, suggestions.

Thanks In Advance.

Nick

#2 Jkm

Jkm

ID: 28

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 10:23 PM

I've been on this med at 60mg. for 2 years, and I still get weird dreams, at times. I also have nights where I don't feel the need to sleep and it catches up with me during the next day. I know if I take my pill at night, I'll be awake all night, but taking it early in the am makes me tired around 6pm. If I take a nap, I'm robbing from that night's sleep.

I also have the chronic dry mouth and always have a can of soda or water close at hand. It's not good for you teeth or gums to have dry mouth and it causes your gums to shrink.

I wish there were a way to get a better night's sleep, but from what I hear, people usually end up taking another kind of pill. I'm pilled out.

Jackie :hearts:
Posted Image

I have GAD. I worry about everything, lol!

#3 Fiddynick

Fiddynick

ID: 9018

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 12:29 PM

I've been on this med at 60mg. for 2 years, and I still get weird dreams, at times. I also have nights where I don't feel the need to sleep and it catches up with me during the next day. I know if I take my pill at night, I'll be awake all night, but taking it early in the am makes me tired around 6pm. If I take a nap, I'm robbing from that night's sleep.

I also have the chronic dry mouth and always have a can of soda or water close at hand. It's not good for you teeth or gums to have dry mouth and it causes your gums to shrink.

I wish there were a way to get a better night's sleep, but from what I hear, people usually end up taking another kind of pill. I'm pilled out.

I am in the same boat. :bump:
If it is not one thing its the other, stomach, dreams, sleep etc.
I will admit I get a good 3-4hours where I will feel great with nothing to complain.
I may ask the doc to give me 3-10mg pills and see if I can maybe try to ween lower/ off
and test the waters to see if it helps or gets worse.
now that anxiety is near gone maybe a ween off will do???
we will see.

#4 kevv729

kevv729

ID: 5600

• PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 02:15 PM

Since I have been on Cymbalta since March of 06 My dreams seem to be more vivid too.
That is My Pearls of Wisdom.

#5 Efjaristos2

Efjaristos2

ID: 9001

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 06:55 AM

Since I have been on Cymbalta since March of 06 My dreams seem to be more vivid too.

I'm in the Vivid dreamers club too....
It's easy for me to get asleep, but sleep more than 6-7 hours is impossible.
The dreams I've had lately ... were so real and so weird.. but the fact...is that all the dreams seemed to be related in one or another way between them (My trauma with relationships, friends and University)...

Well, but I've to say that I didn't notice side effects in my sexual drive, and .... I can drink alcohol in weekends with my friends with no problems at all.

Well, see ya ˇ

#6 Jkm

Jkm

ID: 28

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 08:40 AM

It's not a great idea to drink on ad's, and we really don't approve on the site of people drinking on meds, but it happens. I guess if you're trying to get out of a depression and using alcohol which is a depressant, it kind of makes sense to quit drinking, but it's a personal thing. All I know is that it doesn't help anything.

I still have the vivid dreams after two years of taking 60mg. Not all the time, and they seem to have some basis in what's gone down in the past. I guess it's just a freebie of ad's. None of mine are scarey or terrible and are loaded with issues that were unresloved from my past. Freebies! :bump:

Posted Image

I have GAD. I worry about everything, lol!

#7 Efjaristos2

Efjaristos2

ID: 9001

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 04:12 AM

The vivid dreams are freaking me out lately, they're so real...I've never had dreams like these.
This week specially...
Why are those freaking dreams always so scary ? :hearts:

#8 MrBrown

MrBrown

Just Registered

ID: 9842

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 07:15 PM

I have always been a vivid dreamer without meds of any kind. On cymbalta I have'nt noticed anything out of the ordinary except perhaps I feel more relaxed and think/dream happier things. Without meds I have in fact have had OBE's on a few occasions. Room spinning around, feeling yanked across the bed, then flying up the walls, then through the windows. Just want to say I know about dreams.

#9 stefano

stefano

ID: 9999

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 07:37 PM

I'm 28 yrs old and I've been on Cymbalta 60mg (in Italy the name is Xeristar for duloxetine ) from August the 1st and from the first day I take 60 mg tablet one per day on 9am.

Mee too have vivid dreams. I had the same effect when i used 3mg Melatonin to sleep.

I use only Cymbalta.

Yawn! It's 2.45 AM in Italy now... let's go to bed and to make vivid dreams !!!! Hope dreaming Paris Hilton or Angelina Jolie tonight !!! :hearts:

Edited by stefano, 14 September 2006 - 07:44 PM.

#10 ElusiveTranquility

ElusiveTranquility

ID: 10326

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 11:19 PM

I'm on Cymbalta 60, for most of this year, and I can't say my dreams are any more vivid than they used to be. I've been having vivid dreams since I can remember :hearts:

I can say however that my sleep cycle is sometimes just not satisfying, fleeting, and I tend to have to be super tired to enjoy my sleep. At times I go to sleep and open my eyes as if time flew by... quite tiring to say the least.

Maybe I am dreaming and don't remember. Maybe it's just the cat jumping on me in revenge for not feeding her extra food when she cries for it :bump:

#11 Made_in_Britain

Made_in_Britain

Advanced Member

ID: 10427

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 04:47 PM

I've been having some really bizarre dreams (once I can get to sleep from the noise in my head).

The one I had last night was in a chinese restaurant that had toilets instead of chairs, because they
knew you were going to get a tummy bug (I can't spell the D word) straight away.

Do these dreams have any meaning?

Does anybody have theirs analysed, and does it help?
Posted Image

#12 grapeape

grapeape

ID: 8819

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:53 AM

I think most people would say that dreams often point toward your anxieties, but sometimes they're just a mishmash that doesn't mean anything. I wouldnt try to read into them too much if the meaning or thought that originated them isn't obvious.

Vivid dreams are a common side effect of just about all SSRIs, at least in my experience. Lexapro did it for me, as did others.

#13 Faylen

Faylen

ID: 10016

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 10:22 AM

My doc believes that the Cymbalta dreams can be much more empowering and positive than regular dreams, and encouraged me to allow them to come and pay attention to them. I've always, always been a vivid dreamer - I wake up with tastes in my mouth and memories of textures on my skin from my dreams - so I didn't expect much of a difference. To be honest, for me, there isn't much as far as the vividness, but the situations I'm placed into in these dreams are definitely different. I am overcoming obstacles and accomplishing things in these dreams, whereas before I was more a victim of circumstance. Several of the situations and images are directly related to real life events or thoughts, while my dreams were much more open to interpretation before. Try looking at them as tools for your recovery and see if it helps.

#14 DuckDodger

DuckDodger

ID: 10129

• PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 02:19 PM

I have been taking Cymbalta for about a month now, starting at 30mg/day for first week, then to current dose of 60mg/day. I can't tell if my dreams are affected because I have been a vivid dream my entire life (I am 53). And I have this freakish thing about remembering every dream I've ever had. 3D, color, senses and sometimes a sort of sad, droning, nondescript background music. When I have the ones with the melancholic music, I wake up with the strangest sad feeling that pervades the entire next day.

There have been many recurring themes, some frightening, some with a variety of powerful emotions, some actually sort of pleasant. There are two specific recurring themes that seem to speak directly about my depression and the way I feel my life has gone.

One is me finding myself in a familiar building that, in the dream, is much larger and maze-like than the actual, "real-life" version. I spend the entire dream, which seems to last for hours, wandering through the maze, finding strange, hidden corridors, stairwells, never really knowing what I am looking for or where I am going.

The second repetitive theme is one that, on the surface, is sort of, no, very, disgusting, and yet, according to what I have found in researching it, is fairly common. Again, I am in a familiar building that within the dreamscape is outsize and labyrinthian. But now I find myself down in a seemingly cavernous basement area and then into a men's room. Yes, a men's room. This bathroom is huge (don't ask why everything in these dreams is huge; I don't have a clue.) As I try to find a spot (urinal, stall, whatever) I notice they are all filthy. The floor is always filthy, wet, nasty. There is absolutely no privacy -- no doors on stalls and often a lot of people are wandering around. I never leave the place during the dream and I never find a spot to "go". I am not even sure I need a spot to "go".

So what do these dreams mean? The first, to me, is obvious. I cannot get my life together. I never have felt like I could and this dream of me wandering through a maze of a building is just an expression of my frustration about it.

The second, nasty as it sounds, never felt like the filth was the point, but I always wondered why I dreamt that theme over and over and over. So I did a bit of research and in more than a couple of sources the interpretation is the same: it means one feels like their life is defined by unfinished business, often very private matters that need to be dealth with or, well, eliminated. There are other permutations of this, based on the source, but this is the common denominator by my rekoning. And it fits. I have always had the pervasive feeling that I have been unable to deal with some ancient emotional issues and put an end to how they define me. To answer a question you may want to ask, "yes", I was molested a few times by people outside my family when I was young, but, for some reason I cannot explain, I don't think that is what drives these dreams. I came to grips with the abuse several years ago, although I still have trust issues. I just am not sure that is why the "bathroom" dreams reoccur.

So, there ya go. Thoughts, anyone?

DD

Edited by DuckDodger, 05 October 2006 - 02:27 PM.

"You, my friend, are a victim of disorganized thinking. You are under the unfortunate impression that just because you run away you have no courage; you're confusing courage with wisdom."
The Wizard of Oz

"If you want to see God laugh, tell him your plans."
John Chancellor

Don't worry about global warming, Earthlings:
"I'm going to blow it up. It obstructs my view of Venus."
Marvin Martian

#15 Made_in_Britain

Made_in_Britain

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 04:22 PM

I have had the bathroom dream exactly as you describe it,
there weren't many people around though.

I suppose it could mean that our lives are full of sh*t and we can't get rid of it.

Any dream experts out there?
Posted Image

#16 Made_in_Britain

Made_in_Britain

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 05:48 PM

I had a really bad nightmare last night, there were all these midgets with teeth like that chucky character in the horror film. They were biting my feet. I woke up thinking it was real and I was trying to fight them off because I have pains in my feet from nerve damage. It really freaked me out.

I hope I don't get anything like that tonight.

I'm seeing my doctor on friday, I'll mention it to him then.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users