• Announcements

• Lindsay

Depression Forums Are Back Online!   02/09/2016

Hello Members! Please understand that this upgrade was huge and is a process that will be ongoing for a tad longer. Somethings may not seem 'right' or look a bit 'strange' at the moment, such as your profile page or "Quotes" etc.. Some things may not work as expected... for the time being, but please appreciate that we have to prioritize function over appearance. Eventually DF will all come together and be wonderful! It will be as if nothing had ever changed... As an afterthought...DF will be ACCESSIBLE ANYTIME/ANYWHERE
      Whether you’re on your smartphone, tablet or computer, access to Depressionforums.org/forums is right at your fingertips with our new upgrade. The
      refreshing, dynamic look translates across all platforms and devices.
      Come join up, become a member if not already! It’s free to post to your peers about anything that is troubling you.  We are certain there is a Forum for that. Tomorrow we will have a Forum set up for members to answer any questions that you may have about the upgrade. We really appreciate all of your feedback! Your Forum Administrators
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spiritual_Wanderer

Do You See Things?

51 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post  

So sometimes I think I see things out of the corner of my eye. Sometimes I see what looks like tiny dark "things" darting behind me (reflection in my glasses). At night, in bed, sometimes I see what looks like black flecks in my room like faint lightning or something crossing in my room.

I've been in bed and felt like what could best be described as the feeling of a cat walking on my covers.

And sometimes it has seemed like I have heard singing. Can't make the words out.

Has anyone had similiar experiences? Or experiences like this of another kind?

Posted · Report post  

Hi Spiritual Wanderer,

I have not heard of this happening out of the blue. Are you taking any medications that could be causing this? I know serious issues like sleep deprivation and alcohol withdrawal can cause these types of things, but I'm sure this is not the case for you. Other than being explained by reflections in your glasses, or nicks in the glass, I wouldn't know how to describe these visual flashes. Very interesting though; have you done any research on the subject?

Posted · Report post  

I get the black flecks. Most people call them floaters. They are pretty common actually. If you look them up on google you should be able to find some other people who have them. Sometimes they can be the sign of eye problems, but most of the time they aren't anything serious. Maybe get your eyes checked out and make sure to put your mind at ease about it.

I also see things moving around at times. Most of the time if I'm some where other than home I see my cats out of the corner of my eye. Obviously it's not actually a cat, but usually it will be a book bag or something that is about the same size/color. I think it's just my mind trained to seeing my cats, so it's an instinctual type of thing.

Maybe we just get so used to certain sights, smells, sounds, feelings etc, that we end up having a subconscious response that happens at certain times.

Posted · Report post  

Sometimes when I'm particularly depressed I'll get paranoid and think I heard someone, or that I saw someone run by off in the distance when there's no one there. Mistaking quick glimpses of something ordinary for something else. Things of that nature.

I agree with what darcness said about floaters. I get those too. I don't think it's too uncommon.

It really just depends on the intensity of what you're experiencing.

Posted · Report post  

I have auras before migraines-- they take the form of a blurry cloud-like thing in part of my field of vision. It's limited to only one eye at a time... and only one particular part too. Those auras are like when your eyes are disoriented and blurry and how you have rub them to get things back in focus... except the blurry vision doesn't go away with the auras. Very frustrating, but at least I know when a migraine is coming.

Sometimes the sky takes on a bright pink colour for me. This only happens when the sky is its normal blue colour, not during sunrises/sunsets or stormy weather. I think it might be because of eye strain or maybe related to my synesthesia. I don't like it though-- I prefer the sky being its normal blue colour. ;)

Darcas is right about normal, everyday occurrences of your eyes playing tricks on you. It does happen to pretty much everyone at some time or another. It doesn't necessary mean it's a drug side effect or a hallucination. If you're concerned, ask your doctor. :)

Posted · Report post  

Sometimes during the middle of the night when I've gotten up to do something and had to turn on the light, after I've turned it back off I'll stop in my tracks on my way back to bed because it feels like there's a large object or person in front of me when there isn't. It's quite strange. The sensation doesn't last more than a few seconds.

Funchas I get optical migraines quite often. The aura is never a nice thing to experience as I usually end up naeuseous and with a whoppin headache a few minutes later.

I'm not sure what you're experiencing Spiritual Wanderer, but there's this thing called visual snow where you see flashes or pinpoints of light. I think it has something to do with the brain rather than the eyes.

Posted · Report post  

I have nightmares, and sometimes after waking from the nightmare, certain aspects linger. For instance, I know that I'm awake, and that the dream is over, but I'm still seeing a part of the dream out of the corner of my eye. If I try to look at it head on, its gone, sort of like when you try to recall a dream and it just fades away. It doesn't last long, I think it just takes my brain a moment to return to a normal, waking state.

Aside from that, I am unreasonably afraid of people being in my house. I don't do well home alone at night, or alone at night at all. So sometimes when I'm home alone, once the paranoia is set in motion, I think my mind invents a percentage of the noises. When I was very small I heard a voice in my closet- once, and never again- a man threatening me.

On rare occasions when I am not waking from a dream or inventing ******ers out to get me in the night, I hear vague sounds, but these are things that have happened so rarely that it doesn't concern me. Once it was a girl crying, which is the only one I remember very well. That was a little scary- it sounded to me like there was someone crying in the next room, but there wasn't. But I've never had an experience where I was unaware of what was real and what wasn't. About two weeks ago I was laying in bed staring at the shade over the window, and it was moving about an inch to one side, and then back slowly. No fans, no open windows, no breeze. But it seemed to be a trick of the eye. Little things.

Posted · Report post  

I see 'shadows'. Like someone is moving in my peripheral vision. Sometimes I see something flying straight at me (amusing for others when I actually duck). It looks like shadow birds. I have always had this. Apparently it is a part of the bipolar. I also hear things, mainly like a talkback radio is on in the next room. It gets worse when I go through a manic phase.

It's very frustrating.

Posted · Report post  

I've gone through the things you have Spiritual_Wanderer. For me it was because the house I live in is haunted.

Posted · Report post  

Sometimes actually, most of times at home I keep imagining if there's someone talking to me and I gotta reply to him and have a conversation with no one but I don't feel it when I'm doing it.

Posted · Report post  

I will see people out of the corner of my eye somewhat frequently (they are not there) but they don't stay there if I look directly. As a few people mentioned, my migraines have a warning sign which involves my left eye..emphasizing any light source making everything...sparkles lol.

Posted · Report post  

I definitely have seen floaters. They look like little worm things floating on your eyes. What I see is different, although it is not everyday. Sometimes I have seen orb-like things floating in my room. It is not on my eyes. I do believe in "other-worldly" things. I have seen shadows and heard voices and seen things out the corner of my eye. It's interesting, whatever it is.

SW

:rudolf:

Posted · Report post  

Yes, and I wish they would go away. This was happening a few years when I was coming off a SSRI cold turkey.

Since I began a new SSRI I'm once again seeing black shadows and dark round things move across the floor. Not constantly, but it happens a few times a day.

The voices are there as well, but that started during my spindown. One Dr told me it could possibly be a psychosis aggravated by severe depression.

Posted · Report post  

So sometimes I think I see things out of the corner of my eye.

This happens to me too, frequently. I'll think I see something out of the corner of my eye. Then I look, and usually there is nothing there.

Posted · Report post  

I see shadows a lot. Black shadows out of the corner of my eye, usually darting around or behind something in my room. Most are as small as, or smaller than, a cat. Once in a while I will see one as large as a medium-sized dog. Well, actually, nothing is there, I know that. But I do see shadows.

Posted · Report post  

So sometimes I think I see things out of the corner of my eye. Sometimes I see what looks like tiny dark "things" darting behind me (reflection in my glasses). At night, in bed, sometimes I see what looks like black flecks in my room like faint lightning or something crossing in my room.

I've been in bed and felt like what could best be described as the feeling of a cat walking on my covers.

And sometimes it has seemed like I have heard singing. Can't make the words out.

I know exactly what you are talking about! At night, in bed I will see black "things" too, and I will literally have to turn my lamp on to check. It scares me half to death! :shocked:

Posted · Report post  

At least I know I'm not alone!

:hugs:

I do find that meds tend to stop it, whatever it is. And then lately I have started to think, well, I miss seeing those things. But when I was seeing "them," it bothered me because it was always shadows and darkness, and I guess I viewed it negatively. I guess that's maybe part of my OCD-tendencies... perceiving the negative aspect of everything... kind of like if you've ever thought, "If I don't do this particular thing (like, I don't know, count to 10 twice) before I reach that stoplight, I'll die," only obviously different. lol. I have had those thoughts before, but stop myself and just say no, don't be ridiculous!" But I have to admit, the thought still came to me. I don't know why I tend to perceive seemingly "otherworldly" things as bad. At one time, I was even thinking my anxiety attacks were demonic psychic attacks or something. So at least I've started to recognize more of what it is and stemming from.

?

Posted · Report post  

I sometimes do now but I used to all the time. I would see faces on walls, in carpet patterns or wall patterns, on blank paper. Sometimes the images would come to me in flashes but they were always consistent; a face of some sort, sometimes menacing at other times abstract. I thought I was developing a psychosis but I knew what I saw wasn't real. The doctors called them illusions, not hallucinations because there was no break in reality. It scared me a great deal.

Recently, while reading a doctor's essay on chemical imbalance he described this symptom to a t. He mentioned that has to do with the neurotransmitter dopamine. I was shocked when I read his article because I had always thought this was a strange symptom.

Posted · Report post  

I'll be lying in bed in the middle of the night and hear someone say a word, very loudly, and then fall silent. I also hear computer keys tapping - but then I remember I'm home alone. It might happen other times but my mom's usually on the computer so I always attribute those sounds to her.

I often feel like something's following me. Maybe that's just paranoia. Sometimes when I really need to self-harm I see a red mist over everything. I see shadows, hear footsteps and people crying, I see tall, menacing people out of the corner of my eye and then when I really look, they aren't there.

Sometimes I hear music, it's wonderful but I can't really place what it sounds like. And then there are the regular voices.

Posted · Report post  

I'll be lying in bed in the middle of the night and hear someone say a word, very loudly, and then fall silent.

I have this too, sometimes. It's scary!

Also, I occasionally hear distant music that is completely out of place for the time and situation. For example, one time I was trying to sleep and I heard a calliope playing carnival type music at 1AM. Once I stopped to think about it, the music abruptly stopped. :\

Posted · Report post  

I have also heard the music/singing. it's like you can't quite make out the tune or what the singing is/saying. But it's there. I have also heard loud pops or roaring in my ears, then jerk awake. I guess this is before falling asleep, in the hypnagogic (sp?) state. I've also heard my name called in this state and it jerks me awake. Weird. It's never like a break from reality, though.

Posted · Report post  

See visual ghosts and hearing things. Yes although grey sky 'fuzzies' and light flashes and wormy blobs are all pretty normal I think. At least I've seen them all my life. I have a theory on the seeing things when I'm down issue though. When I am bad I get 'tunnel vision', where I can only focus on what is directly in front of me and everything else goes grey/out of focus. I suspect that occasionally my brain picks up an 'out of focus' item as if it has just appeared and it is very startling, so when I look around the room is as it should be as nothing new has actually appeared.

Posted · Report post  

I'm glad I'm not alone either! Sometimes when I'm in bed it feels like someone has placed their hand on me, on top of the covers, and the covers seem to move a bit. Scared the crap out of me the first time it happened, because I thought it was my husband but looked and he wasn't there. That happens sometimes, and I hear music quite often. It's usually very low and hard to make out. I think it's just background noise from our fan that my brain is interpreting as music. Except that sometimes it's louder and I can hear the tune really well. I wondered if you really could pick up radio from your fillings. Lately I keep hearing a noise like a door shutting, and I think maybe my dogs are up to something, but I look and they're asleep and no one is there. We just moved into a house (not that old) but I'm half wondering if maybe it's haunted. I keep telling myself if anyone is touching the covers, it's one of my dead grandmothers looking out for me.

Posted · Report post  

Aaah, the infamous black flecks. I get those quite a lot, I used to genuinely think I had something wrong with my eyes because I was absolutely convinced that I could see them etc etc, but then I got diagnosed.

Never heard of them happening out of the blue though? It could be linked to sleep deprivation, esp. as it's a visual thing?

Posted · Report post  

I see bugs. Always bugs. Really big ones. This usually only occurs at night, but it doesn't go away quickly (I can watch the same bug for a minute or two). I've actually had to wake my husband up to confirm if what I'm seeing is real or not. It's gotten to the point where I just assume it's a hallucination and go back to sleep. MD didn't seem concerned, though.