Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Do You See Things?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Spiritual_Wanderer

Spiritual_Wanderer

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:52 PM

So sometimes I think I see things out of the corner of my eye. Sometimes I see what looks like tiny dark "things" darting behind me (reflection in my glasses). At night, in bed, sometimes I see what looks like black flecks in my room like faint lightning or something crossing in my room.

I've been in bed and felt like what could best be described as the feeling of a cat walking on my covers.
And sometimes it has seemed like I have heard singing. Can't make the words out.

Has anyone had similiar experiences? Or experiences like this of another kind?
Many Blessings,
SW
goldenvelope1jr.gif

Not all those who wander are lost. - J.R.R. Tolkien
Don't let the muggles get you down. ― J.K. Rowling

#2 PoeticProse

PoeticProse

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:26 PM

Hi Spiritual Wanderer,

I have not heard of this happening out of the blue. Are you taking any medications that could be causing this? I know serious issues like sleep deprivation and alcohol withdrawal can cause these types of things, but I'm sure this is not the case for you. Other than being explained by reflections in your glasses, or nicks in the glass, I wouldn't know how to describe these visual flashes. Very interesting though; have you done any research on the subject?
PoeticProse
realize what you have, and all you could lose

#3 darcness

darcness

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:18 PM

I get the black flecks. Most people call them floaters. They are pretty common actually. If you look them up on google you should be able to find some other people who have them. Sometimes they can be the sign of eye problems, but most of the time they aren't anything serious. Maybe get your eyes checked out and make sure to put your mind at ease about it.

I also see things moving around at times. Most of the time if I'm some where other than home I see my cats out of the corner of my eye. Obviously it's not actually a cat, but usually it will be a book bag or something that is about the same size/color. I think it's just my mind trained to seeing my cats, so it's an instinctual type of thing.

Maybe we just get so used to certain sights, smells, sounds, feelings etc, that we end up having a subconscious response that happens at certain times.

Some of the greatest advice I've ever received on DF: "Always remember that recovery is not linear"
Such a simple phrase, but so easily forgotten...

#4 Ashen

Ashen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:57 PM

Sometimes when I'm particularly depressed I'll get paranoid and think I heard someone, or that I saw someone run by off in the distance when there's no one there. Mistaking quick glimpses of something ordinary for something else. Things of that nature.

I agree with what darcness said about floaters. I get those too. I don't think it's too uncommon.

It really just depends on the intensity of what you're experiencing.
If I had just a little bit of wisdom
I should walk the Great Path and fear only straying from it.

#5 funchas

funchas

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:16 PM

I have auras before migraines-- they take the form of a blurry cloud-like thing in part of my field of vision. It's limited to only one eye at a time... and only one particular part too. Those auras are like when your eyes are disoriented and blurry and how you have rub them to get things back in focus... except the blurry vision doesn't go away with the auras. Very frustrating, but at least I know when a migraine is coming.

Sometimes the sky takes on a bright pink colour for me. This only happens when the sky is its normal blue colour, not during sunrises/sunsets or stormy weather. I think it might be because of eye strain or maybe related to my synesthesia. I don't like it though-- I prefer the sky being its normal blue colour. ;)

Darcas is right about normal, everyday occurrences of your eyes playing tricks on you. It does happen to pretty much everyone at some time or another. It doesn't necessary mean it's a drug side effect or a hallucination. If you're concerned, ask your doctor. :)

#6 DarkRain

DarkRain

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:39 PM

Sometimes during the middle of the night when I've gotten up to do something and had to turn on the light, after I've turned it back off I'll stop in my tracks on my way back to bed because it feels like there's a large object or person in front of me when there isn't. It's quite strange. The sensation doesn't last more than a few seconds.

Funchas I get optical migraines quite often. The aura is never a nice thing to experience as I usually end up naeuseous and with a whoppin headache a few minutes later.

I'm not sure what you're experiencing Spiritual Wanderer, but there's this thing called visual snow where you see flashes or pinpoints of light. I think it has something to do with the brain rather than the eyes.
"There is some good in this world Mr. Frodo and it's worth fighting for."

"I will not say do not weep, for not all tears are an evil."

"My friends are my power! And I'm theirs!"

Posted Image

#7 Jellyfish

Jellyfish

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:52 AM

I have nightmares, and sometimes after waking from the nightmare, certain aspects linger. For instance, I know that I'm awake, and that the dream is over, but I'm still seeing a part of the dream out of the corner of my eye. If I try to look at it head on, its gone, sort of like when you try to recall a dream and it just fades away. It doesn't last long, I think it just takes my brain a moment to return to a normal, waking state.

Aside from that, I am unreasonably afraid of people being in my house. I don't do well home alone at night, or alone at night at all. So sometimes when I'm home alone, once the paranoia is set in motion, I think my mind invents a percentage of the noises. When I was very small I heard a voice in my closet- once, and never again- a man threatening me.

On rare occasions when I am not waking from a dream or inventing murderers out to get me in the night, I hear vague sounds, but these are things that have happened so rarely that it doesn't concern me. Once it was a girl crying, which is the only one I remember very well. That was a little scary- it sounded to me like there was someone crying in the next room, but there wasn't. But I've never had an experience where I was unaware of what was real and what wasn't. About two weeks ago I was laying in bed staring at the shade over the window, and it was moving about an inch to one side, and then back slowly. No fans, no open windows, no breeze. But it seemed to be a trick of the eye. Little things.

#8 Sharla

Sharla

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:31 AM

I see 'shadows'. Like someone is moving in my peripheral vision. Sometimes I see something flying straight at me (amusing for others when I actually duck). It looks like shadow birds. I have always had this. Apparently it is a part of the bipolar. I also hear things, mainly like a talkback radio is on in the next room. It gets worse when I go through a manic phase.
It's very frustrating.
Bipolar, Major depressive disorder, Dermatillomania.

#9 sober4life

sober4life

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:09 PM

I've gone through the things you have Spiritual_Wanderer. For me it was because the house I live in is haunted.

#10 blur18

blur18

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 04:20 PM

Sometimes actually, most of times at home I keep imagining if there's someone talking to me and I gotta reply to him and have a conversation with no one but I don't feel it when I'm doing it.

#11 Sparkhawke

Sparkhawke

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 04:26 PM

I will see people out of the corner of my eye somewhat frequently (they are not there) but they don't stay there if I look directly. As a few people mentioned, my migraines have a warning sign which involves my left eye..emphasizing any light source making everything...sparkles lol.

#12 Spiritual_Wanderer

Spiritual_Wanderer

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 11:32 PM

I definitely have seen floaters. They look like little worm things floating on your eyes. What I see is different, although it is not everyday. Sometimes I have seen orb-like things floating in my room. It is not on my eyes. I do believe in "other-worldly" things. I have seen shadows and heard voices and seen things out the corner of my eye. It's interesting, whatever it is.

SW
:rudolf:
Many Blessings,
SW
goldenvelope1jr.gif

#13 T on C

T on C

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 12:37 AM

Yes, and I wish they would go away. This was happening a few years when I was coming off a SSRI cold turkey.
Since I began a new SSRI I'm once again seeing black shadows and dark round things move across the floor. Not constantly, but it happens a few times a day.
The voices are there as well, but that started during my spindown. One Dr told me it could possibly be a psychosis aggravated by severe depression.

goldenvelope1jr.gifdiamondstar.gif There's people in my bowl...
Current Meds: Propranolol, Lithium, Haloperidol, Norvasc, Zoloft, Zaleplon
Up to date diagnosis: PTSD, BP1, MDD with psychotic features

#14 AquaViolet

AquaViolet

Senior Moderator

• Admin Team-Moderator
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 02:38 AM

So sometimes I think I see things out of the corner of my eye.

This happens to me too, frequently. I'll think I see something out of the corner of my eye. Then I look, and usually there is nothing there.

~~AquaViolet~~
Posted Image
Posted Image

My Diagnoses: Severe OCD, panic disorder, depression
My Current meds: Geodon, Cymbalta, Klonopin, Lyrica 

My Previous meds:
Prozac, Paxil, Celexa,
Lexapro, Luvox, Zoloft, Clomipramine (a horrible med for me),
Xanax, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Risperdal,
Gabapentin (this med did nothing), Buspar (also did nothing)

#15 GoldieGreen

GoldieGreen

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:20 PM

I see shadows a lot. Black shadows out of the corner of my eye, usually darting around or behind something in my room. Most are as small as, or smaller than, a cat. Once in a while I will see one as large as a medium-sized dog. Well, actually, nothing is there, I know that. But I do see shadows.
I wish someone would turn that radio off!

#16 nealy

nealy

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:38 PM

So sometimes I think I see things out of the corner of my eye. Sometimes I see what looks like tiny dark "things" darting behind me (reflection in my glasses). At night, in bed, sometimes I see what looks like black flecks in my room like faint lightning or something crossing in my room.

I've been in bed and felt like what could best be described as the feeling of a cat walking on my covers.
And sometimes it has seemed like I have heard singing. Can't make the words out.

I know exactly what you are talking about! At night, in bed I will see black "things" too, and I will literally have to turn my lamp on to check. It scares me half to death! :shocked:

-Nealy

Be strong now because things will get better. It might be stormy now, but it can't rain forever.

Posted Image

#17 Spiritual_Wanderer

Spiritual_Wanderer

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:53 PM

At least I know I'm not alone!

:hugs:

I do find that meds tend to stop it, whatever it is. And then lately I have started to think, well, I miss seeing those things. But when I was seeing "them," it bothered me because it was always shadows and darkness, and I guess I viewed it negatively. I guess that's maybe part of my OCD-tendencies... perceiving the negative aspect of everything... kind of like if you've ever thought, "If I don't do this particular thing (like, I don't know, count to 10 twice) before I reach that stoplight, I'll die," only obviously different. lol. I have had those thoughts before, but stop myself and just say no, don't be ridiculous!" But I have to admit, the thought still came to me. I don't know why I tend to perceive seemingly "otherworldly" things as bad. At one time, I was even thinking my anxiety attacks were demonic psychic attacks or something. So at least I've started to recognize more of what it is and stemming from.

?
Many Blessings,
SW
goldenvelope1jr.gif

#18 absurd01

absurd01

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:15 PM

I sometimes do now but I used to all the time. I would see faces on walls, in carpet patterns or wall patterns, on blank paper. Sometimes the images would come to me in flashes but they were always consistent; a face of some sort, sometimes menacing at other times abstract. I thought I was developing a psychosis but I knew what I saw wasn't real. The doctors called them illusions, not hallucinations because there was no break in reality. It scared me a great deal.

Recently, while reading a doctor's essay on chemical imbalance he described this symptom to a t. He mentioned that has to do with the neurotransmitter dopamine. I was shocked when I read his article because I had always thought this was a strange symptom.

#19 Rose Red Rocket

Rose Red Rocket

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:43 PM

I'll be lying in bed in the middle of the night and hear someone say a word, very loudly, and then fall silent. I also hear computer keys tapping - but then I remember I'm home alone. It might happen other times but my mom's usually on the computer so I always attribute those sounds to her.
I often feel like something's following me. Maybe that's just paranoia. Sometimes when I really need to self-harm I see a red mist over everything. I see shadows, hear footsteps and people crying, I see tall, menacing people out of the corner of my eye and then when I really look, they aren't there.
Sometimes I hear music, it's wonderful but I can't really place what it sounds like. And then there are the regular voices.
"When you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill

#20 henrithecat

henrithecat

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:58 PM

I'll be lying in bed in the middle of the night and hear someone say a word, very loudly, and then fall silent.

I have this too, sometimes. It's scary!
Also, I occasionally hear distant music that is completely out of place for the time and situation. For example, one time I was trying to sleep and I heard a calliope playing carnival type music at 1AM. Once I stopped to think about it, the music abruptly stopped. :\
I'm on a roll this time. I feel my luck could change.

#21 Spiritual_Wanderer

Spiritual_Wanderer

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:10 PM

I have also heard the music/singing. it's like you can't quite make out the tune or what the singing is/saying. But it's there. I have also heard loud pops or roaring in my ears, then jerk awake. I guess this is before falling asleep, in the hypnagogic (sp?) state. I've also heard my name called in this state and it jerks me awake. Weird. It's never like a break from reality, though.
Many Blessings,
SW
goldenvelope1jr.gif

#22 Guest_Talesin_*

Guest_Talesin_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:58 PM

See visual ghosts and hearing things. Yes although grey sky 'fuzzies' and light flashes and wormy blobs are all pretty normal I think. At least I've seen them all my life. I have a theory on the seeing things when I'm down issue though. When I am bad I get 'tunnel vision', where I can only focus on what is directly in front of me and everything else goes grey/out of focus. I suspect that occasionally my brain picks up an 'out of focus' item as if it has just appeared and it is very startling, so when I look around the room is as it should be as nothing new has actually appeared.

#23 tamsynx

tamsynx

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:36 PM

I'm glad I'm not alone either! Sometimes when I'm in bed it feels like someone has placed their hand on me, on top of the covers, and the covers seem to move a bit. Scared the crap out of me the first time it happened, because I thought it was my husband but looked and he wasn't there. That happens sometimes, and I hear music quite often. It's usually very low and hard to make out. I think it's just background noise from our fan that my brain is interpreting as music. Except that sometimes it's louder and I can hear the tune really well. I wondered if you really could pick up radio from your fillings. Lately I keep hearing a noise like a door shutting, and I think maybe my dogs are up to something, but I look and they're asleep and no one is there. We just moved into a house (not that old) but I'm half wondering if maybe it's haunted. I keep telling myself if anyone is touching the covers, it's one of my dead grandmothers looking out for me.
I am not a doctor. All I can do is offer my opinion.

#24 curiosing

curiosing

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:04 PM

Aaah, the infamous black flecks. I get those quite a lot, I used to genuinely think I had something wrong with my eyes because I was absolutely convinced that I could see them etc etc, but then I got diagnosed.

Never heard of them happening out of the blue though? It could be linked to sleep deprivation, esp. as it's a visual thing?

Lou / 20 / UK

Diag: Major Depressive Disorder, Anxiety & Panic disorder, OCD, Agoraphobia, and Paranoid Schizophrenia.

I'm one of those terrible university drop-outs that you read about, only I intend to go back next year ;)

#25 CosmoGrey

CosmoGrey

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:06 AM

I see bugs. Always bugs. Really big ones. This usually only occurs at night, but it doesn't go away quickly (I can watch the same bug for a minute or two). I've actually had to wake my husband up to confirm if what I'm seeing is real or not. It's gotten to the point where I just assume it's a hallucination and go back to sleep. MD didn't seem concerned, though.
Kaitlyn

#26 Gangling

Gangling

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:27 AM

I have a lot of floaters. Due to the poor integrity of my Fibrilin gene, my eyes aren't as "stable" as they should be... Another "visual disturbance" that I get is Palinopsia or "After shadows". Whereever I look, I see shadows of objects I have looked at. When I was a kid I was deathly afraid of the dark as I allways thought I saw "Ghosts" or objects out of the corner of my eye...I am quite convinced that it was the onset of the Palinopsia.

"If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you” - Nietzsche

Bipolar Disorder: Manic Dep, Exec Dysfunction, Gen Anxiety, Social Anxiety
Marfan's Syndrome: Cardio Vasc inv (MVP), Joint/Limb inv, Sight inv, Classic Marfanoid Appearance, no Scolliosis/Mjr Pectus
Current Medications: BP (Lithium, Lamictal, Welbutrine, Fluoxitine), MFS (Cardicor, Coxflam, Tenston-SA), Other (Tegretol)

#27 RedCoffee

RedCoffee

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:20 PM

I see shadows and animals kind of out the corner of my eye but not entirely in the corner...if that makes sense. I hear things like my phone going off or Daleks saying 'exterminate' and it sounds so real but I know it can't be....and when I was young I used to see lots of shadows. And giant slugs in my house. Now I mainly see the shadows and some animals. Usually dogs.

#28 jennaalive

jennaalive

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:02 AM

i see shadows in the corner of my eyes like someone is running past me, i also hear voices, a woman screaming and pushing me down with words. im so scared of her and i dont know what to do!?

#29 Girly

Girly

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 5,500 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:06 PM

Hi jenna, have you spoken to a medical professional about the voices you are hearing and the woman screaming? Many people here have had similar experiences and these can be controlled. Are you seeing a therapist at all?

Edited by Girly, 23 July 2012 - 04:07 PM.

Girly

"No matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow". ღ ~Maya Angelou

Diagnosis - Borderline Personality Disorder. Meds - citalopram and olanzapine.

#30 needsleep

needsleep

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:05 PM

i feel like im slightly making a big deal out of nothing with what happens with me, i dont have full on hallucinations but i have been getting more and more stressed recently i can look around and a rucksac or a tree trunk if i see them outsiede the corner of my eyes my whole heart stops and i feel absoloutley terrified, i hate opening my eyes in the morning because its everyday something new will just be there, but what these things do is they dontt look anything like a person but in my mind thats how i percept them as people with an intent to hurt me jus sitting staring at me, its starting to get worse as well im reluctant to do anything anymore just because of the absoloute terror it gives day in day out anybody know where im coming from?

#31 Girly

Girly

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 5,500 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:57 PM

Hi needsleep

I've not had that experience personally but that really does sound like something to speak to your doctor about. That way you can stop this from getting worse.

Girly
Girly

"No matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow". ღ ~Maya Angelou

Diagnosis - Borderline Personality Disorder. Meds - citalopram and olanzapine.

#32 TwilightZephyr

TwilightZephyr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:57 AM

Lot's of posts and I skimmed. But shadow people...I think are not uncommon. Sometimes are eyes play tricks on us. But I do have to say when I'm really stressed I tend to get a bit more paranoid and will experience seeing shadows more. I think partly because of my job I mistake hearing my name alot even when people don't say it...or occasionally think I hear someone say something. And omg the cat walking on the bed thing...I experience that almost every night...that is weird. I just call it my ghost kitty. I just think it's like a perception misfire of brain cells and usually just let it pass.

But on that note...In my last depression I would see demons sitting on corners of buildings and one time a plane crashing through my apartment. That was scary.

Oh also I see the illusions in walls and stuff and sometimes see the patterns in things move...I chalk that up to past drug use.
  • needsleep likes this

#33 needsleep

needsleep

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:24 PM

i cant see my doctor about it just because of the fact he will just relate it to past drug use and maybe run some tests, recently its been getting worse like the other night it wasnt in the shadows but the actual darkness i could see this man jus standing looking at me and i got the ghost cat thing just mine came as a hand? might be completley different but scared the living s*** out of me, i just wished my doctor would prescribe me some sleep medication but because my insomnia is linked to depression my doctor wont prescribe them to me because he thinks im just going to top myself because of my past but im over that now i just want to sleep and forget all of these things and i think it is partly sleep deprivation that i see these things however while im seeing them i cant sleep and its just a vicious circle does anybody know how to get out of it :/

#34 Just Adam

Just Adam

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:44 AM

My doctors seem to ignore me when I tell them about things like this. I sometimes think I see a rabbit scurrying across the room, or something like that. I don't think the docs believe me. It's weird.

#35 Spiritual_Wanderer

Spiritual_Wanderer

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:35 AM

Sometimes when I am in bed with my eyes closed and I open them, I'll see a black orb about the size of an apple that floats up the wall and slowly disappears.

This link has an example of what floaters look like, and I definitely do have them. But I've seen other things that do not look like that at all.

http://www.allaboutv...spotsfloats.htm

I also see these like crazy! If I pay attention, I see what looks like millions of them against my windshield or a bright blue sky. I've seen these for years and years.

http://en.wikipedia....ptic_phenomenon

But I also know that severe depression or bipolar can sometimes lead to depression with hallucinations. If you are on meds and/or in treatment, I'd try not to be too worried, as long as you don't feel you are losing touch with reality. People don't have to see purple bunnies running in a circle singing happy birthday to experience hallucinations. Sometimes it's noises, shadows, etc. And sometimes a shadow is just a shadow!

Edited by Spiritual_Wanderer, 10 September 2012 - 10:40 AM.

Many Blessings,
SW
goldenvelope1jr.gif

#36 beachgirl

beachgirl

• PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:31 AM

At least I know I'm not alone!

:hugs:

I do find that meds tend to stop it, whatever it is. And then lately I have started to think, well, I miss seeing those things. But when I was seeing "them," it bothered me because it was always shadows and darkness, and I guess I viewed it negatively. I guess that's maybe part of my OCD-tendencies... perceiving the negative aspect of everything... kind of like if you've ever thought, "If I don't do this particular thing (like, I don't know, count to 10 twice) before I reach that stoplight, I'll die," only obviously different. lol. I have had those thoughts before, but stop myself and just say no, don't be ridiculous!" But I have to admit, the thought still came to me. I don't know why I tend to perceive seemingly "otherworldly" things as bad. At one time, I was even thinking my anxiety attacks were demonic psychic attacks or something. So at least I've started to recognize more of what it is and stemming from.

?

OH MY GOD.

SO I HAVE OCD TOO?

I've been doing that forever. When I was little I had to tap my foot after every dashed line in the road or I'd die. Or after every streetlamp...etc. I passed a train and had to count every car or...who knows what horrible thing would happen.

I think I just need to find a really good pdoc and see just how long my list of "imperfections" is.

#37 CricketBoots

CricketBoots

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:34 PM

I sometimes do now but I used to all the time. I would see faces on walls, in carpet patterns or wall patterns, on blank paper. Sometimes the images would come to me in flashes but they were always consistent; a face of some sort, sometimes menacing at other times abstract. I thought I was developing a psychosis but I knew what I saw wasn't real. The doctors called them illusions, not hallucinations because there was no break in reality. It scared me a great deal.

Recently, while reading a doctor's essay on chemical imbalance he described this symptom to a t. He mentioned that has to do with the neurotransmitter dopamine. I was shocked when I read his article because I had always thought this was a strange symptom.

i see things the same as you do. i call them the "demons" because that is what they look like to me. i have actually taken pictures of what i have seen, uploaded them to my laptop and taken it with me to my tdoc appointment. i would show the tdoc the computer picture and asked what he saw. "Nothing". then i would outline the image i saw using microsoft paint. then, he could see exactly what i was seeing. we have not come to an understanding why i can see such things as i do, but it is be a very unnerving to me when everwhere i look i see things that, in general, most people dont see.

"I would rather be hated for what I am than loved for who I'm not."

~Curt Cobain

#38 CricketBoots

CricketBoots

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:54 PM

hi Spiritual Wanderer. i just commented on absurd01's post about seeing things, but i can also relate to you too. i have had quite a number of times where i have been awakened by "something" being in the room with me. i was 100% certain that someone was crawling onto my bed at times. it bothered me so much i could not move from fear. it was that real to me! i have also seen black images darting around my room even though there was very little light in the room at the time. i was told i was hallucinating at those times. i am not saying you were / are hallucinating though.

i also have experienced what is called "sleep paralysis". you can look it up on wikipedia.org. the worse case i ever had of this was one night i had an episode when awakening where i felt a something sitting on my chest not allowing me to move. at the time, i knew it was not human. i just had that feeling, you know? it had me pinned down and i was paralyzed all over.

have you ever experienced sleep paralysis? just curious.

i do hope you can get some answers from pdoc and tdoc and will not have to endure this much longer.

"I would rather be hated for what I am than loved for who I'm not."

~Curt Cobain

#39 Spiritual_Wanderer

Spiritual_Wanderer

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:25 AM

I have had sleep paralysis before. Once, there was a figure bent over me when I woke up and couldn't move. It was freaky. That only happened once. This weekend, I actually kind of had it again, but didn't see anything. I just had the feeling that someone/thing was walking or moving around on my covers. It's the weirdest feeling. It's like you literally feel something pressing down on your covers, around your body? I think it is was Friday night, and I slept horribly. It just seemed like there was a presence there too. I also had a lot of anxiety that day. When I used to have bad anxiety attacks, it would seem like there was this presence of doom and oppression around me (like I mentioned, it seemed demonic or something). Weird.
Many Blessings,
SW
goldenvelope1jr.gif

#40 Seabeach

Seabeach

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 712 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:13 PM

Sometimes I see things due to my illness. I become very sick and become psychotic. Then I begin to see people I know everywhere and I think they are following me but wearing masks that don't fit them so I see darkness in the eye holes. It's very frightening. I've had other visual hallucinations which are also terrifying. I don't have to much in the audity way - usually just someone yelling my name which causes me to look up and around. Or a few people talking to me which sound completely real and it's hard to tell if I heard it out loud or in my head.

You can always find me wherever there is Sun, Surf and Sand : )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users