Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Increasing To 20Mg Or Adding Wellbutrin?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gs1003

gs1003

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:23 PM

Hello everyone,

I hope everyone is doing fine. I haven't been on this site in a while but i'm glad i'm back.

I started taking 5mg Cipralex around May after losing my license in a DUI and going through very bad anxiety. It was weird because I told myself its okay if I lose my license and I was acting very positive but I guess my brain/body wanted to react differently, which was by acting out with anxiety.

So things were going pretty good on the 5mg. I had some very rough times at the beginning with increased anxiety but after a while I think it started working. I started feeling a little more confident and some self esteem came back. I started exercising and making goals that I wanted to reach in my life and felt like they were within arms reach. I even had some periods of very high self confidence and happiness. I wouldn't say MANIC, because I wasn't going hyper and all over the place, but I felt very good about myself and had so much interest and enthusiasm in parts of my life. These periods lasted a couple days.

I started taking the medication in May and I must say that August and September were good months. I know this because I make music (hip hop producer) and during those 2 months I made so much good music because I felt full of energy and creativity and had this genuine passion for life in me.

I upped the dose to 10mg a few weeks ago after talking to my doctor because I started to feel a little down and sluggish again, losing motivation for things I had interest in. I was feeling a little better again, but then after a huge fight with my dad I had a pretty bad depressive episode. It was like a complete relapse in my depression. I lost all will to live life and I was so depressed and miserable for a week or 2 that I couldn't even get myself to brush my teeth or shower. This was about 2 weeks ago. I think taking the 10mg helped me deal with the fight better overall, maybe if I weren't on the med I would have reacted differently and taken longer to recover.

Anyways, i'm not sure if its because i've been stuck at home all day everyday for the past few months due to losing my license, or if its because I need to increase my medication, but I am easily losing interest in old activities again. I used to take 20mg Cipralex in the past so maybe I should take 20mg again?

I have also considered adding Wellbutrin because it seems like it would help all the issues I have problems with like lack of motivation, creativity, energy. Has anyone used Wellbutrin for this or added it to their Cipralex? I just want to make it clear that I do have enough energy to get up and exercise and do things and am a pretty creative person but if i'm depressed or in a depressive state all my motivation/creativity/imagination goes out the window. I have never taken Wellbutrin and I am not even 100% sure what it is used for so i'm just taking a guess here.

I am still going to talk to my doctor about all this, because i've also read Wellbutrin is highly stimulating and I can't stand anymore anxiety...

Edited by gs1003, 31 October 2011 - 01:29 PM.

#2 Spiritual_Wanderer

Spiritual_Wanderer

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:46 PM

Hi. For me, going from 10mg to 20mg of Lexapro/Cipralex made all the difference. I didn't know it before, though, but ADs tend to make me manic (extreme irritability, restlessness, agitation) so I stopped, then went on a mood stabilizer and am now on 20mg of Celexa/citalopram and doing fine. No agitation, etc.

A lot of people augment with Wellbutrin too. I was on it briefly (about 9 weeks) and my anxiety got worse, so stopped.
Many Blessings,
SW
goldenvelope1jr.gif

Not all those who wander are lost. - J.R.R. Tolkien
Don't let the muggles get you down. ― J.K. Rowling

#3 gs1003

gs1003

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:27 PM

Hey thanks for the quick reply. I really love this forum and am going to do my best to contribute to it as much as possible.

I will talk to my doctor about going to 20mg. I used to take 20mg about 3 years ago and my life was amazing. I honestly don't remember why I stopped, I used to drink and drug a lot back then so maybe I thought partying and stuff was important than beating depression.

I also don't want to take Wellbutrin because I don't want to worsen my anxiety. I get increased anxiety from coffee so Wellbutrin will probably do some negative for me in terms of anxiety. I rather just try the 20mg Cipralex since I remember having a good experience with it.

It also seems like Wellbutrin is more prescribed for people who are already a little hyperactive or have problems with addictions like cigarettes and gambling and other compulsive behaviours? I don't really seem to fit that category so I don't think it would be right for me anyways. Also, i'm sure a doctor would have had me try it a long time ago but it seems like doctors/psychiatrists think SSRIs are the way to go for me.

#4 LaurynJcat

LaurynJcat

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:59 PM

Hi gs1003.

I'm on 20 mg/day of Cipralex, and 200 mg/day of Wellbutrin SR. For me the Wellbutrin was a good add-on and the anxiety increase was very temporary (a few days, plus I take the occasional Klonopin (clonazepam) for anxiety anyway. I did have some muscle twitches on Wellbutrin XL so had to switch to the SR version but that did the trick.

I was fatigued on the Cipralex and had low energy and motivation. Augmenting with Wellbutrin did the trick for me. In fact I may go up to 300 mg/day soon.

Best wishes,
Lauryn

Edited by LaurynJcat, 31 October 2011 - 04:59 PM.

"I have been one acquainted with the night.

I have walked out in rain -- and back in rain.
I have outwalked the furthest city light."

- Robert Frost

#5 gs1003

gs1003

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 05:48 PM

To what degree were you fatigued on Cipralex? I am considering Wellbutrin moreso for its mental effects like increased motivation, enthusiasm, interest in activities, etc. I am not sure if Wellbutrin does this but i'm just assuming it does based on some things I read. I am not actually a very lazy person. Its weird because I WANT to be an outgoing and energetic person but its like my depression doesn't allow me to be. I want to do a lot of things but my lack of motivation and fatigue comes from my depression without a doubt. I would say that my energy levels are normal and instead of adding Wellbutrin I would rather stick to proper diet and exercise. I'm just asking because i'm wondering to what degree did the fatigue become a problem on Cipralex and how bad was it, and did you have this problem before the Cipralex as well?

People say antidepressants aren't good because all they do is mask symptoms but for someone like me, thats all I need! I am not actually a depressed person. I do not have thoughts of suicide or death. I try my hardest to be optimistic and make people laugh and try to be that person that brightens everyones day up. Problem is, I can't seem to do it to myself. I used to get picked on a lot as a child and went through heavy negative emotions at times so maybe thats why as an adult now I just can't help but stay negative no matter how hard I try to not think that way.

I have tried many times to go back to school but then my anxiety starts acting up at school which leads me to being depressed again. I will arrive on campus then all of a sudden start to get those bad stomach cramps and feelings of uneasiness. People say mind over matter, and I do believe that... But for some reason I try my best to stay positive and think good thoughts but my body still acts up in ways that a depressed/anxious person would act.

#6 lindahurt

lindahurt

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,474 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:24 PM

Hi gs1003,

I took Wellbutrin and Lexapro as a part of my combo to help with lift my depression and it worked for me. Both meds combined with the others help to keep the anxiety under control. I am no longer on Lexapro but Celexa instead to keep the anxiety low, but have clonazepam for emergencies. Wish you the best in getting your med sorted out.

Lindahurt

Even in the most horrific of situations, one's attitude has an enormous role in shaping what happens ~ Viktor Frankl
In you lies the power to choose, to commit - Stephen Convey

The kind of person you want to become is greatly influence by your inner decisions, and not from outside influence alone. We can even under adverse circumstances, decide what shall become of us ~ Brian C. Stiller

Posted Image

#7 gs1003

gs1003

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:09 PM

The thing is, I start school in January so I want to make sure that I am 100% stable before going into school. I don't want to be messing around with medications and dosages while i'm JUST starting school. I am going to make an appointment with my doctor as soon as possible and talk to him about this.

For the people taking Wellbutrin along with their Cipralex, I have a few questions:
1) What dose are you taking of each?
2) Why did you add Wellbutrin to the Cipralex? (or vice versa)
3) In what ways did adding the 2nd medication help, please be specific

Thanks!

#8 LaurynJcat

LaurynJcat

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:39 AM

Hi again gs1003.

Well I was yawning all the time, constantly feeling tired and low energy. I was not depressed any more, just had no motivation or energy. The Wellbutrin helped me feel more alert and motivated.

If you met me you wouldn't guess I suffer from depression, either. I hide it well with humor and I am very interested in many things - art, music, fiction, learning. Like you, I went through some very tough times in childhood and at other times. I was optimistic and extraverted as a child, but gradually got very shy and had no self-esteem or self confidence. I was still very optimistic and enthusiastic about life in many ways though. I didn't get truly depressed until my twenties and I think I have quite a strong genetic predisposition to depression, as my father was Bipolar 1 and had extreme difficulty in his youth, with several suicide attempts. Finally he found lithium, which was his miracle and allowed him to live a normal life.

I disagree with people who say that medications just mask the symptoms. I think anti-depressants get a lot of undeserved bad press. Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that medication is the only step a depressed person should take - many therapies can help, and other life changes depending on the person. But many people also need lifelong medication - like my father. Even for people whose depression is situational, the meds can often give them the initial boost to change their situation or the motivation to continue therapy.

I certainly hope I can do without meds one day (I'm working hard on cognitive behavioral therapy and other techniques proven to reduce depression, like meditation and self-hypnosis). But it's a big challenge for my brain to overcome my natural predisposition to depression plus a lifetime of conditioning to negative thinking and fear. I may need to be on some level of meds, just like if I had diabetes or lupus or other chronic condition. Depression is a complex illness and varies so widely in severity, I think each case is different.

Best wishes, Hugs,
Lauryn

To what degree were you fatigued on Cipralex? I am considering Wellbutrin moreso for its mental effects like increased motivation, enthusiasm, interest in activities, etc. I am not sure if Wellbutrin does this but i'm just assuming it does based on some things I read. I am not actually a very lazy person. Its weird because I WANT to be an outgoing and energetic person but its like my depression doesn't allow me to be. I want to do a lot of things but my lack of motivation and fatigue comes from my depression without a doubt. I would say that my energy levels are normal and instead of adding Wellbutrin I would rather stick to proper diet and exercise. I'm just asking because i'm wondering to what degree did the fatigue become a problem on Cipralex and how bad was it, and did you have this problem before the Cipralex as well?

People say antidepressants aren't good because all they do is mask symptoms but for someone like me, thats all I need! I am not actually a depressed person. I do not have thoughts of suicide or death. I try my hardest to be optimistic and make people laugh and try to be that person that brightens everyones day up. Problem is, I can't seem to do it to myself. I used to get picked on a lot as a child and went through heavy negative emotions at times so maybe thats why as an adult now I just can't help but stay negative no matter how hard I try to not think that way.

I have tried many times to go back to school but then my anxiety starts acting up at school which leads me to being depressed again. I will arrive on campus then all of a sudden start to get those bad stomach cramps and feelings of uneasiness. People say mind over matter, and I do believe that... But for some reason I try my best to stay positive and think good thoughts but my body still acts up in ways that a depressed/anxious person would act.

"I have been one acquainted with the night.

I have walked out in rain -- and back in rain.
I have outwalked the furthest city light."

- Robert Frost

#9 gs1003

gs1003

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:43 PM

I think I should add that I took my first 10mg dose September 12th. I remember the exact date from reading my message history and telling my friend that I took 10mg the first time.

So its almost been 8 weeks on the 10mg and so far I have been feeling a little less motivated, a little more tired and lazy than usual, and a little more "dull" overall. But I havent been feeling any anxiety. As of the past few days I have been sleeping more and eating more as well. It could be because i'm still a little depressed about the fight with my dad or just overall depressed.

I think around 8-10 weeks is when its safe to say if the dose is or isn't working. I think i'll give the 10mg another shot.

A big part of my depression right now is the fact that I lost my license and can't get out of the house, I live in an area with nothing else around except more houses so it gets kind of boring and lonely especially when you're out of school and unemployed.

I get my license back in about 3 weeks so maybe I will wait til I start driving again to see if that makes an improvement in my mood.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users