Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Viibryd Side Effects-Memory And Insomnia?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 pittguy578

pittguy578

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:51 AM

I went to a new doctor on 09/30/2011. He prescribed Viibryd. I noticed my serious depression started to leave almost right away. It was the first SSRI I could take without GI side effects. Everything had been going well until last week or so. I noticed my memory was getting worse..I have ADHD and lose things often, but I would relose my cell phone within minutes of finding it..Misplacing things..making wrong turns on roads-etc. The other thing that recently started was insomnia-really bad this past week. I usually was able to sleep through night on 20 MG Ambien, but it is not working. I keep on waking up at 3AM and can't fall back asleep. My depression is also coming back..I was really happy this seemed to be working, but I can't live with this lack of sleep and memory issues.

Do the sleep issues go away? Can you take a lower dosage of Viibryd instead of taking the 40 MG? I started to take the 10 MG and noticed a difference right away. Maybe I don't need the 40 MG? Amy assistance is appreciated.

'

#2 ScoobyBlue

ScoobyBlue

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:54 AM

Hi man,

I started taking Viibryd more than two weeks ago; Even at 10mg I immediately got nasty insomnia, which got worse when I went to 20mg. Depression-wise it seemed to work right away; you might be getting depressed not because the med is not working but because you haven't been sleeping properly because of it! I read somewhere that this medication was initially intended to be taken at much lower doses (5/10/20mg), but for some reason the official effective dose was changed. Either case, like with all antidepressants, the effective dose varies greatly between individuals, and maybe you could get away with a lower dose and get to sleep at the same time. Keep in mind that disruption of normal sleeping cycles is a source of depression in its own right.
As for me, my chief concern with this med, other than insomnia, are the sexual side effects, which kicked in after a week of taking it. In fact, although I stopped taking it days ago, I have a terrible block in terms of getting an orgasm -- it's ******* me.
I don't understand; this med is marketed as the 'new' SSRI with no sexual side effects, and it has given me the worst block I've ever had on an SSRI.
I don't know if you have the same problem or if it works for you with respect to that.
Anyway, I hope I was of help.
Best,

scooby.

#3 pittguy578

pittguy578

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:02 AM

Thank you for your reply. I too thought the pill was magical. It is the first SSRI I could take without GI upset and the first one that seemed to work. I had been severely depressed to the point where I thought I may have to check myself in. I ramped up to 40 MG on the starter pack. I was doing ok-actually pretty well until the past week or so when all started crumbling down. I thought I was just going crazy until I read about the possible side effects and realized I was having them. 20 MG of Ambien used to put me out for the night. Now it gives me three hours. :(

#4 Jenna08

Jenna08

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 03:12 PM

Dear Pittguy,

You are not alone! This drug sucks - it is definitely not a keeper. I'm having horrible insomnia, waking up at 4 am to panic attacks (I cannot function on 4 hours' sleep). In addition to this is a new sympton for me - extreme aggression, which is definitely not lilke me. All I want to do is fight people,which is not a good thing b/c I am a 100 woman who's never been in a fight in her life (my husband has already suggested that perhaps I stay indoors for the next few days). Anyway, my memory is worse than if I'd smoked a pound of filter, which I suspect may be from the lack of sleep. I, too, have tried a prescription sleep drug (I forget the name) which usually knocks me out for a good 9 hours. With this, it's like I haven't even taken a sleeping pill. And I'm still extremely depressed. I'm kinda wondering who exactly the people were that they used to test this drug.

Anyway, I intend to contact my dr. first thing Monday to be taken off Viibryd. I think I'd rather go back to a prior med that sort of works than suffer through any more of this. This is worse than the depression itself.

Good luck to you and I hope you find something that works!

#5 djamc

djamc

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:02 AM

So I started Viibryd about 3 weeks ago and have been dealing with a serious inability to fall asleep until way past my bedtime - hence my post at 5am... Strangely I have not been extremely tired during this timeframe... I've also started taking a thyroid medication at the same time... Wondering if the thyroid med is giving me additional energy, or what... To put an additional hitch in things - I lost my job 3 weeks ago, so I can't seem to figure out whether my inability to sleep is based on my dwelling on my job situation (pretty confused if u can tell)...

Has anyone else had a sense of increased energy along with insomnia? Prior to 3 weeks ago if I was getting 3-4 hours of sleep a night I would have been a total zombie...

#6 brian231

brian231

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:02 PM

I went to a new doctor on 09/30/2011. He prescribed Viibryd. I noticed my serious depression started to leave almost right away. It was the first SSRI I could take without GI side effects. Everything had been going well until last week or so. I noticed my memory was getting worse..I have ADHD and lose things often, but I would relose my cell phone within minutes of finding it..Misplacing things..making wrong turns on roads-etc. The other thing that recently started was insomnia-really bad this past week. I usually was able to sleep through night on 20 MG Ambien, but it is not working. I keep on waking up at 3AM and can't fall back asleep. My depression is also coming back..I was really happy this seemed to be working, but I can't live with this lack of sleep and memory issues.

Do the sleep issues go away? Can you take a lower dosage of Viibryd instead of taking the 40 MG? I started to take the 10 MG and noticed a difference right away. Maybe I don't need the 40 MG? Amy assistance is appreciated.

'

I'm glad I clicked on this topic. I'm also on viibryd. 40mgs. Just yesterday I experienced confusion driving my girlfriend home. I almost made 2 wrong turns driving her home. I didn't think anything of it at the time. Just thought I was an *****. Never thought it might be the medication. As far as insomnia. Ask for Trazadone. I get 6-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep now when I was only sleeping 2-3 hours without it.

#7 darcik

darcik

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:51 AM

Can anyone tell me if side effects will go away? I started taking the 10 mg, cut in half, now on 20 mg cut in half and have trouble sleeping and really bad diarrhea. I have been on 10 mg total now for about a week or more. I don't think I can handle this if it is going to affect me so bad with the sleep and bathroom issues.

#8 tiredwoman

tiredwoman

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:13 AM

The bathroom issues got better for me but not the sleep. I am at 40mg now and may switch back to 20mg because of the sleep. The sexual side effects are not as bad on this medication but the sleep is a problem so I am cutting back.

#9 meistersinger

meistersinger

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:07 PM

I started on Viibryd back in September, 2011. While it worked maybe for about 3 weeks, it has been hell ever since. Insomnia, my depression got worse, blurred vision, short term memory loss, nausea, dry heaves, feeling stoned, lethargy, weakness, tremors, brain zaps, etc. AND THIS WAS ONLY ON A 10 MG (THE LOWEST) DOSE. Psych took me off med cold turkey, AND I GOT WORSE. Mfr. says to discontinue gradually to stop use. I have been cutting tabs to reduce the dosage gradually. Never again as a guinea pig for a new drug. If it weren't for the fact I'm on welfare (pending appeal of social security disability denial), I'd be talking to a lawyer about bringing suit against the manufacturer.

#10 stephaniej2004

stephaniej2004

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:39 AM

'

I had a similar experience. The first day I took vybriid my depression went away immediately, buy then returned the next day. It has since gone away, but my anxiety is much worse. I take t 1 1/2 klonopin at night to get some sleep which works great. I don't think I am going to stay on the Viibryd. Too much anxiety.

#11 stephaniej2004

stephaniej2004

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:45 AM

'

I'm glad I clicked on this topic. I'm also on viibryd. 40mgs. Just yesterday I experienced confusion driving my girlfriend home. I almost made 2 wrong turns driving her home. I didn't think anything of it at the time. Just thought I was an *****. Never thought it might be the medication. As far as insomnia. Ask for Trazadone. I get 6-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep now when I was only sleeping 2-3 hours without it.

I have also experienced "brain cramps." I stuggle to come up with the right words!

#12 airkooled08

airkooled08

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:03 PM

Hi , well like others have reported this medicine works like magic for me . The dark side is I cant sleep . I cant fall asleep . I have tried some mild stuff the doc gave me to no avail . I want to work this out because it works so well for me . I was really tired the other night . I tried 100mg of Trazadone I had around for a while . I slept like a rock . The problem at least with me using trazadone is if you use it every night it is not as effective . I waited a day and tried it last night and I got about five hours of sleep but sleep was broken . It is Sept 10 and pretty foggy today . I want the doc to try something else . Not ready to bail on this med yet . If I have luck with something I will post it . Good luck to all . I know this is a battle for us . Be well

#13 airkooled08

airkooled08

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:55 PM

so , here it is two weeks later . The insomnia has worsened . It worked like magic but not so magic if you cant sleep . I have to wonder why they approved a pill that causes so many sleep issues for people . I am going to start tapering off this today . Enough is enough

#14 Ssri13

Ssri13

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:48 PM

I developed insomnia on viibryd that remained even after I stopped taking it. I used to need 8 hours and would be exhausted on less than 6. Now I wake up after 4 hours and can't fall back to sleep. I still have a lot of energy during the day. I'm worried since I've been off the medication almost a year but the insomnia has remained. Has anyone else experienced permanent insomnia?

#15 rshumaker

rshumaker

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:00 AM

I developed insomnia on viibryd that remained even after I stopped taking it. I used to need 8 hours and would be exhausted on less than 6. Now I wake up after 4 hours and can't fall back to sleep. I still have a lot of energy during the day. I'm worried since I've been off the medication almost a year but the insomnia has remained. Has anyone else experienced permanent insomnia?

I too have experienced insomnia which seems to have started after stopping (slowly tapering off) viibryd.  My doctor has transitioned me to lexapro for depression which has many less side effects for me but the insomnia remains so now I must take seroquel in order to sleep.  I've been off of viibryd for a little over a month now and still have bad insomnia and can only sleep if I take seroquel.  Your post about still having insomnia almost after a year really scares me.  This insomnia is horrible.  If I take the seroquel, I sleep.  If I don't, I can't sleep.  I don't like this feeling of dependency on medications to sleep. Permanent insomnia?  I sure hope not.  Have you found any solutions?

#16 airkooled08

airkooled08

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:08 PM

I tried this med last fall . For me it was like a wonder  drug . My depression abated in  a matter of a few days  . Then after a week the insomnia kicked in  .  It was wicked   . I kept hanging with the drug because I felt so good  . I tapered down to 15 mg and still couldn't sleep . I could sleep at 10 mg but then the medicine didn't work . The doc  I had at the time half heartedly tried a couple of sleep meds  that didn't work  .  It was a hard drug to walk away from as it literally  made me see the world in a new light  . Any way good  luck  to all  of you

I am going to try wellbutrin xl   . I have been on Prozac  for a while . Its ok but weight  gain and I don't do as well on it

#17 airkooled08

airkooled08

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:19 PM

rememron is supposed to help with sleep for what it is worth

#18 RoundAbout

RoundAbout

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:21 PM

I've been on Viibryd for over a year now.  I don't have any negative side-effects when I'm on it.  However, if I go a day without it, I'll start to get withdrawl symptoms.  For me, this includes waking up screaming.  My Pdoc said he was getting less than 50% satisfaction with it, with most of his patients finding it to be worthless.  And then there's my case, where I feel great and have no side-effects.  It's amazing how it affects people differently.

#19 SunshineRayy

SunshineRayy

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:14 PM

Hi! I only started Viibryd three or four days ago but I am definitely experiencing the insomnia side effect! Wow, before I started the med, I looked online and saw a lot of people talking about the insomnia - and now that I have taken it, they weren't kidding or exaggerating! This is a very, very activating medication.  I have to take .5 milligrams of klonopin a night just to feel mildly sleepy.  I experienced insomnia on other ADs as well - Zoloft, Effexor, and Luvox...but this one keeps me WIDE AWAKE the most!

I am taking it for depression and many anxiety disorders so the activation is not making me feel very comfortable.  I hope it goes away.

Oh, and so far I have no issues with memory.  I am zipping around the house and sometimes not realizing what I am doing but it's mostly because I'm so wound up I can't stay still.

“A human being is a part of the whole called by us universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest, a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.”

:hearts:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users