Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Pmdd-Getting Worse! Really Need Help/advice

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Saberhead

Saberhead

ID: 67590

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:45 AM

Hello everyone-

So I've had PMDD since I was about 18 years old. Every month its the exact same symptoms. It starts out with a tinge or irritability, flashes of irritating thoughts, then leading to utter hopelessness and depression, crying spells for no reason, extreme sensitivity to everything, questioning everything around me (my reality, my relationships, my choice of lifestyle, my school, etc), anger flashes, extreme irritation, total dissasociation from people or the world, cant study, low concentration, have little to no care about doing anything, etc.

There have also been some rather unusual effects that Id like to bring up also. Things I notice a lot when its about 8-11 days before my menses are:

-An unusual need to change my hair/looks/appereance. Crash dieting and buying weird products for instant gratification
-Impulsively buying new clothes and furniture
-Cleaning a LOT. Getting upset when others dont clean a lot.
-Impulsively buying things I dont need
-Eating a lot. Like really binge eating. Eating several bowls of ice cream and pasta in a day.
-Constantly looking at myself in a weird light? I cant explain it. All of a sudden I convince myself that Im ugly or something. I actually think Im very pretty but when I get like this there is no convincing me!
-Always thinking my boyfriend is cheating. This is something i have under control but its as if I WANT to argue with him. Its like I have an impulse to change EVERYTHING.

Even more unusual things that ONLY occur on this time:
-Stealing. Yeah. For some reason I am impulsively stealing small things during this time. I do not have cleptomania I promise, its like the rush I get from it is some sort of weird self medication!
-Doing drugs. I always want to do illegal drugs when I am 8-11 days before menses. <---this is not something I should be doing every month and I keep telling myself I wont do it, but then Im so miserable from my periods I keep wanting to do it and it seems to provide relief.

I was offered prozac for treatment, I took it for 2-5 days and had HORRIBLE reactions to it. It literally made me feel like I was losing my mind. For example I was at a bar with my boyfriend (not drinking) and all of a sudden I completely felt like I was having an out of body experience. During that time I was trying to read a menu and completely forgot how to read. I know that sounds crazy but it lasted for about 10 minutes where i couldnt read anything or understand words. Physical side effects were worse. I had numbness in my right hand and shooting tingling sensations all over my limbs. In the middle of the night I woke up with what I can describe as "brain shivers". I felt like I could "feel" chemicals in my brain, it was dreadful and I couldnt sleep without having extremely weird nightmarish dreams. Also I had VERY strong eye pain in one eye. Like all of a sudden my eye in the back would hurt really badly to the point where I would have to put my head down.

So Prozac is NOT for me. When I got off of it only been on it for 2-5 days I had INSANELY bad brain zaps. This was just like torture. I hate this drug so much I cant even tell you.

So now Im terrified to try something else. I feel like I have a very good handle on how my symptoms are, and what chemicals are clearly being depleted in this aspect. Does it sound like an SSRi will treat this? I feel like i might need to be offered an SNRI instead?

Edited by Spiritual_Wanderer, 17 October 2011 - 03:53 PM.
Terms of Service

#2 Spiritual_Wanderer

Spiritual_Wanderer

Community Assistant

ID: 57536

• DF Support
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:57 PM

That would be horrible to go through that every month. You said Prozac is out, and that is what I have heard is used mostly for menstrual disorders. It sounds like you are very sensitve to SSRIs. The symptoms you describe could also be something else - have you been evaluated overall or just for this disorder? Maybe talk to your doctor about trying other methods/meds besides the serotonin ones? SNRIs affect serotonin, but also other neurotransmitters. I don't know anything about PMDD. It sounds like you clearly have a good idea of what goes on with you. I hope you can find a way to treat this.

:)
Many Blessings,
SW
goldenvelope1jr.gif

Not all those who wander are lost. - J.R.R. Tolkien
Don't let the muggles get you down. ― J.K. Rowling

#3 Saberhead

Saberhead

ID: 67590

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:21 PM

That would be horrible to go through that every month. You said Prozac is out, and that is what I have heard is used mostly for menstrual disorders. It sounds like you are very sensitve to SSRIs. The symptoms you describe could also be something else - have you been evaluated overall or just for this disorder? Maybe talk to your doctor about trying other methods/meds besides the serotonin ones? SNRIs affect serotonin, but also other neurotransmitters. I don't know anything about PMDD. It sounds like you clearly have a good idea of what goes on with you. I hope you can find a way to treat this.

:)

Im sorry I totally didnt see this posted till today, thanks so much for the reply.

Yes Ive been only diagnosed with PMDD because Im like this literally two weeks before menses and then it just goes away. Im totally myself otherwise and happy/optimistic. I have a feeling I have depleted my neurotransmitters a lot from doing these illegal drugs every month. This last month its been every TWO weeks. So I am definitely in bad shape right now.

Yes, lol Im super sensitive to SSRIs. I have gotten my script of Zoloft today, and have only taken 12.5 mg.
I feel ok. More numb really. I still feel sad but it feels more "flat". I cant explain. Anywho I pray this works because I really need help. I feel like Im screwing up my life because of this and if this doesnt work I guess I can ask her to move me onto SNRIs?
The only thing Ive noticed so far is that Im sweating a lot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users