Advertisement

Scheduled Maintenance:

Please be aware that depressionforums will be down for a short period beginning from 02:00 EST (07:00 GMT) on Sunday 21st December for necessary maintenance. We apologise for the inconvenience and it should only take about 45 minutes.

• No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Low Dose Seroquel With An Antidepressant?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Brokenme

Brokenme

Community Assistant

ID: 45368

• DF Support
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 03:58 AM

I'd been trialed on seroquel when I was inpatient in hospital, 12.5 at night and 25 prn (as needed) during the day
12.5 did nothing but 25 knocked me out cold -- it was prescribed to me for anxiety
I stopped taking it on discharge (doctors agreed to it) but now it has been prescribed to me again (25mg, for anxiety)
I don't know if I should fill the script..?! it's a bit expensive and I'm not particularly keen on being sedated...
anyone have experience with it in combination with an AD?:)

#2 Xande

Xande

ID: 66153

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 02:59 PM

I'd been trialed on seroquel when I was inpatient in hospital, 12.5 at night and 25 prn (as needed) during the day
12.5 did nothing but 25 knocked me out cold -- it was prescribed to me for anxiety
I stopped taking it on discharge (doctors agreed to it) but now it has been prescribed to me again (25mg, for anxiety)
I don't know if I should fill the script..?! it's a bit expensive and I'm not particularly keen on being sedated...
anyone have experience with it in combination with an AD?:)

I was prescribed Seroquel 50mg when I was in hospital too, but for sleep, next day, was prescribed 200mg lol I really don't think I had a say in the matter, but yeah both doses knocked me out cold.

I stayed on Seroquel for two months after leaving the hospital, but then me and my pdoc decided it wasn't necessary.

I never took it during the day, not sure if I would be able to function with it during the day, makes me way too drowsy.

If you're having doubts about the med, reach out to your pdoc and discuss it with him/her.

good luck!

#3 swimfan93

swimfan93

ID: 55786

• PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 04:26 PM

Have you considered Seroquel XR (extended-release)? I take 300mg Seroquel XR every night for depression & anxiety. I take several other medications (including antidepressants) but have been very happy with Seroquel. It doesn't knock me out, sometimes makes me a little sleepy, but I think I sleep better with it.

#4 Brokenme

Brokenme

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:26 AM

Hi guys
No, I haven't considered a higher dose of seroquel, 25mg already knocks me out, I remember I was given one 25 in the middle of the day once (was very upset and anxious) I was out cold for ~3 hours just like that. But the 12.5 at night did nothing; psychiatrist wants me to take 25 at night to make me sleep and help with the thoughts.
My lexapro was increased to 20mg at the same time.
I did talk to him about it but basically he just wants me to try it.. but in the end its up to me whether I *do*..
PS I've never heard of just seroquel as an antidepressant?

#5 Brokenme

Brokenme

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:47 AM

also what alternatives are there to antipsychotics for sleep?
not benzos (i don't want something addictive, and doctors agree with me plus im a student and can't withstand extra memory loss)
melatonin? first generation antihistamines?
anyone have experience and/or know anything about their efficacy, and pros and cons?

#6 lukn4hope

lukn4hope

ID: 58523

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 04:27 PM

not benzos (i don't want something addictive, and doctors agree with me plus im a student and can't withstand extra memory loss)
anyone have experience and/or know anything about their efficacy, and pros and cons?

The antidepressant Remeron is sometimes given for sleep. Also trazadone. Bewarned that both of these AD's can cause serious sedation. I'm not sure why you don't want Seroquel because it is a good sleep aid, and at higher doses (~200 mg) it is useful for depression. There were even some commercials about how Seroquel is useful for depression. If I recall correctly, the sedation improves as your body adjusts to the Seroquel.
Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. The information provided by me is intended purely for entertainment purposes.

#7 Brokenme

Brokenme

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 04:47 PM

Remeron had been offered to me several times before and i'd rejected that because I don't want an antidepressant that also acts as a sedative because as an antidepressant I'd have to take it every day but I want something to help me sleep when I can't ie as needed.
I dont want seroquel at high dose for the same reason, im not sure about filling the script for seroquel because i cant afford it as its prescribed off label (only available on PBS in australia if you're schizophrenic)
sorry if im sounding muddled im a mess this morning

#8 lindahurt

lindahurt

Platinum Member

ID: 53269

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,474 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:21 PM

thanks

Its best to ask your doctor for a recommendation for a med you can take on an as needed basis that's not an AD, benzo, or antipsychotic med. As far as efficacy is concern meds effect us differently and what works for one may not another. You will good and bad experiences about any particular med but you won't know it efficacy with until you give it a try.

Lindahurt

Edited by lindahurt, 18 September 2011 - 05:22 PM.

Even in the most horrific of situations, one's attitude has an enormous role in shaping what happens ~ Viktor Frankl
In you lies the power to choose, to commit - Stephen Convey

The kind of person you want to become is greatly influence by your inner decisions, and not from outside influence alone. We can even under adverse circumstances, decide what shall become of us ~ Brian C. Stiller

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Yahoo (1)