Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Any Bipolar Cops or Law Enforcement Officers?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 TriPolarTroy

TriPolarTroy

ID: 437

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 07:22 PM

I was just wondering if there were any other Law Enforcement Officers living and working with Bipolar Disorder.(Federal, Police Department, Sheriff Deputies, Corrections etc...) I work in Federal Law Enforcement and I have decided to keep my illness a secret due to the fear of losing my job. Only a few of my friends and family know about me being Bipolar. I would love to hear from anyone living a similar life.

#2 purpletiger

purpletiger

ID: 1069

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 08:16 PM

I am not a Law Enforcement Officer or anything.....but I DO agree with keeping your diagnosis to
yourself. The Job I had previously, I decided to be open and honest about it after I was diagnosed - BIG mistake! I was completely avoided by everyone, including our immediate Supervisor. Where I once had been included in even "general talk" amoungst my co-workers, I was completely (and very obviously) ignored and kept out of every conversation. NO one spoke to me anymore unless it was a work question and they HAD to.

It got so bad, that after 7 weeks of being treated this way, I quit my Job and vowed NEVER to tell another co-worker or boss about my diagnosis again.

It is so sad that in this day and age, people can be so ignorant.............
purpletiger -

Misdiagnosed from age 20 to age 35 with Depression. Have tried approximately 9 AntiDepressants with no help.

Finally Diagnosed correctly as BiPolar II in June of 2005 when I was 36. (I am 37 now.)

Favorite Saying: "Dance Like No One is Watching"

#3 dolphingirl

dolphingirl

Gold Member

ID: 6000

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 09:57 AM

I am not a Law Enforcement Officer or anything.....but I DO agree with keeping your diagnosis to
yourself. The Job I had previously, I decided to be open and honest about it after I was diagnosed - BIG mistake! I was completely avoided by everyone, including our immediate Supervisor. Where I once had been included in even "general talk" amoungst my co-workers, I was completely (and very obviously) ignored and kept out of every conversation. NO one spoke to me anymore unless it was a work question and they HAD to.

It got so bad, that after 7 weeks of being treated this way, I quit my Job and vowed NEVER to tell another co-worker or boss about my diagnosis again.

It is so sad that in this day and age, people can be so ignorant.............

Yes, I understand completely were you are coming from.....People can be so ignorant to the fact of mental illness....
Neverlookdownyoumightmisstherainbow!

#4 BertsBarbieDoll

BertsBarbieDoll

ID: 9078

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 11:08 PM

This is something I am curious about also. Before I was diagnosed, I was thinking about going to the police accademy. I would like to work for our local sheriff's department. But I am guessing it won't be possible now.

~BARB~

#5 KeepingAwake

KeepingAwake

ID: 6553

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 11:49 PM

TriPolarTroy,

I would think that it is better to not share your diagnosis with your work peers. It's not necessary and could bring a great deal of trouble to your work life.

Your medical situations are PRIVATE. You are not obligated to share the details with anyone, and I would be extremely cautious in doing so in a work environment.

As long as you and your treatment team feel that you are fit to do your job, I would keep doing it and not disclose your diagnosis. It's no one's business.

KA

Edited by KeepingAwake, 04 August 2006 - 11:49 PM.

Beliefs Aren't Etched in Stone... Unless Your Brain is Made of Rock

#6 Guest_I am Cat_*

Guest_I am Cat_*

ID: 0

• Guests

Posted 05 August 2006 - 05:10 PM

I would think, except for having to carry a piece of paper with you as to what meds you're on (in case of emergency)... this would be YOUR business, Troy....

Don't ever disclose TOO much information about yourself... unless it's interfering with your life.... keep it to yourself.

:bump:

((((Troy)))). Glad to see you posting!

Cat :hearts:

#7 Sarah_gbp

Sarah_gbp

ID: 8688

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 05:37 PM

I don't work in law enforcement per se... but I work in politics (provincial).

My diagnosis came out of the closet and it was for the better in my case. I have become the resident "expert" when dealing with constituents with mental health issues. I also am allowed a bit more time off in case something happens (admission into the hospital, or just to out of control for work).

One thing I have to be VERY careful about, is what I say. I plan to go further into politics, running for city councilor in 2010/2014 (depending on where I am in University, if I go to law school, etc). As unfortunate as it is, society is not ready to except mental illness, especially not in a figure of politics.

If you think it is more beneficial to keep it quiet, go with your gut instinct. Really, they can't fire you for mental illness as it is discriminatory (you could take it to the human rights tribunal) unless you are acting way out of control or missing to many days.

Edited by Sarah_gbp, 06 August 2006 - 05:39 PM.

-Sarah-

#8 TriPolarTroy

TriPolarTroy

ID: 437

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 06:28 PM

I want to thank everyone for their help and advise!

#9 destructive

destructive

ID: 6492

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 07:21 AM

Hi Troy

I am currently studying Justice in Australia so that I can join the Police service. I have not been diagnosed for fear that I will be rejected.. well actually I know I would. It is part of the requirements that they check your full medical history plus also running a psych exam of their own. This has been my dream for a long time so I have been to scared to get any medical help incase they found out. Once and if I am recruited I will get for help. I don't know if this is a smart choice but I am just not ready to give up my dream.

Do you work in a specialty field or do general policing duties? I would like to do Juvenile Aid which I know is extremely though to get into here and you have to undergo many psych evaluations. I would like to learn more about what you find most challenging, is it just the day to day having to get up and go or is there a particular aspect that makes it hard?

Anyway though I would say hi. Hope things get a bit easier for you.

d.
Don't be fooled by me. Don't be fooled by the face I wear
For I wear a mask. I wear a thousand masks-
masks that I'm afraid to take off and none of them are me.
Pretending is an art that's second nature with me
but don't be fooled for God's sake, don't be fooled.
I give you the impression that I'm secure
That all is sunny and unruffled with me within as well as without
that confidence is my name and coolness my game
that the water's calm and I'm in command and that I need no one.
But don't believe me. Please!
Posted Image

#10 LittleBear

LittleBear

ID: 10262

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 01:36 PM

I work as a Probation Officer in UK, I was diagnosed with Bipolar II on friday after 3 yrs of them being unsure which "box" to put me in. Ive had a few months off work and so am now wondering whether or not to disclose my illness- though Ii dont have to tell them anythign I dont want to.

I am also currently applying for the Police force- and there is a possibility I wont be able to join because of my Bipolar- even though its BP II and I dont ever get full blown mania or symptoms of psychosis.
Will have to wait an see...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users