Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Viibryd Vs. Wellbutrin

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 HappyKaren

HappyKaren

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 07:05 PM

Hello All,

I haven't been on this site for awhile. However, being on Viibryd (a just released anti-depressant) for only 7 weeks, and going off of it; I felt a need to share my experience.

To say I feel at times like a psych doctor's lab rat is an understatement. Needless to say, trying a new drug; like many of us....oh yea, couldn't wait.

So, in a nutshell, here's my experience.

Was on Wellbutrin (300 mg daily) for probably close to two years. Really hadn't had any problems except for the lack of good sleep. The vivid dreams weren't so awful.

Before, Wellbutrin, I took Lexapro for years. Only went off Lex due to financial reasons. Really had no problem switching from Lex to Wellbutrin at all.

Then, the PDoc suggests I try this "great new drug" that has such a cool name.

7 weeks ago I started with 10 mg of Viibryd for 7 days. Then, was up to 20 mg for 7 days. Then, yep, you guessed it. 40 mg for 14 days.

The first month as everyone knows, you are just "adjusting." The nausea was horrible. Constipation/diarrhea, such a joy. The anxiety, however, was really unbearable. But, honestly, the worst side effect for me was what I would call "an electric shock" running through my body. It was like I was being struck by lightning. They would just come on suddenly and scare the living daylights out of me. First time it happened one night during a thunderstorm, and honestly, I thought my house had been hit. I let it go. Then, over the weekend, had a couple more "shocks" and said, that's it.

This week was going to be the start of week 7. I called PDoc this morning (she's truly a sharp cookie, and her nurse is the BEST) and she said, STOP immediately and go back to Wellbutrin.

No titrating because I wasn't on it long enough. I feel comfortable about the decision. And, best part is of course, since it's new, there is no generic. The prescription was $50. Wellbutrin was $12.39. I like that.

Hopefully the adjustment from the Viibryd to Wellbutrin won't be too long.

I enjoy this site. It is such a wealth of wonderful information.

If this post helps one person, then that is why we share and encourage one another.

Happy Karen

"Be Happy Where you are on the Way to Where you are Going!"

#2 gemstar

gemstar

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 07:27 PM

Hello! I identify with your lab rat comments! :smile:

I am just starting Welbutrin (along with 2 other new medications) as the old med's I was on are not working at all. My psychiatrist says the Welbutrin has great results among her patients. I am very hopeful! My dose isn't as large as yours, but can be adjusted.

Just wanted you to know: those zaps? My psychiatrist told me they are due to serotonin withdrawal. So, maybe that fancy new drug with the neato name wasn't doing it for your serotonin levels.
\|/
Recovery
ismyBigDaddy

/|\

#3 Xande

Xande

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 07:39 PM

That's good to hear! lol I've had my doc ask me if I want to try a different med and though sometimes I considered it, after doing some research, I was like no thanks.

#4 lkelley36

lkelley36

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:25 AM

That's good to hear! lol I've had my doc ask me if I want to try a different med and though sometimes I considered it, after doing some research, I was like no thanks.

I am taking Viibryd and really having good results!! Sleep prob...but everything else good. Am able to drive much better and just feel normal again.

I have been on Wellbutrin for years, on and off...sometimes I would just go off it because I thought it would be ok...course a couple weeks out...it isn't...lol..

I went off the Wellbutrin last week thinking the Viibryd would be good alone. Boy was I wrong!! I was waking up in the mornings with my heart pounding. During the day, was feeling much more nervous. So, Saturday, I said no more and took my Wellbutrin and it wasn't just a little while later, I had calmed down.

I have never had any side effects when going off the Wellbutrin, so I couldn't think that it was some kind of withdrawal effect.

Since taking my Wellbutrin and my Viibryd...I am feeling awesome again!!! Guess I will just take both. Together they seem to be a great team!

Just thought I would tell you what happened to me.

ls

#5 browri

browri

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:28 PM

I was taking 20mg of Celexa for about 6 months, and then it was raised to 40mg, but I was still having pretty heavy mood swings, and the drowsiness and fatigue never went away or eased up. My psych doc added Wellbutrin, but even at 150mg for a month I couldn't adjust to it. My body just wouldn't take the drug properly. I was extremely irritable, and angry. Snapping all of the time. The stoned effect that I felt the first week being on it eased up but even at 150mg I felt flat and emotionless, which isn't what I wanted in an antidepressant. I wanted to still feel normal, but at the same time I wanted my mood swings to be manageable. Wellbutrin made it worse.

Eventually I stopped taking Wellbutrin cold turkey after a month, and titrated off the Celexa to start Viibryd. The first week I experienced almost all of the side effects listed. Drowsiness and easy to fall asleep but not being able to stay asleep because of vivid disturbing dreams. Nausea and diarrhea. These all disappeared after 1 to 2 weeks. Now I am left with the "electric shock sensations" that the OP is talking about. They usually happen for about 4 hours after I take the medication and then they stop. My understanding is that is how long it takes for Viibryd to reach peak blood levels after taking the med. After those 4 hours they ease up. They are uncomfortable, but I'm sure they'll go away in time. And I'll take them as they are because in all other aspects, Viibryd works really well and I feel normal for the first time in years.

#6 HighWithLife

HighWithLife

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:47 PM

There could be a reason your pdoc switched you to Viibryd, however it could be because of benefits HE receives from Forest Pharmaceuticals (Makers of Viibryd). It's a well known fact that psychiatrists receive money from the pharmaceutical companies and there is a web site where you can type in your doctor's name and find out how much they are receiving in benefits from these companies. It's quite wrong...

Edited by HighWithLife, 15 October 2011 - 05:47 PM.

#7 Buffy1

Buffy1

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:20 PM

When the AD is working fine it's wise not to change it as you saw that new is not necessariy better. I was a vvictim of the hype around Effexor, and bigger doses made me worse and worse. My Ob gyn finallty suggested Wellbutrin and it has been a life saver.

Take care of yourself.

Hello All,

I haven't been on this site for awhile. However, being on Viibryd (a just released anti-depressant) for only 7 weeks, and going off of it; I felt a need to share my experience.

To say I feel at times like a psych doctor's lab rat is an understatement. Needless to say, trying a new drug; like many of us....oh yea, couldn't wait.

So, in a nutshell, here's my experience.

Was on Wellbutrin (300 mg daily) for probably close to two years. Really hadn't had any problems except for the lack of good sleep. The vivid dreams weren't so awful.

Before, Wellbutrin, I took Lexapro for years. Only went off Lex due to financial reasons. Really had no problem switching from Lex to Wellbutrin at all.

Then, the PDoc suggests I try this "great new drug" that has such a cool name.

7 weeks ago I started with 10 mg of Viibryd for 7 days. Then, was up to 20 mg for 7 days. Then, yep, you guessed it. 40 mg for 14 days.

The first month as everyone knows, you are just "adjusting." The nausea was horrible. Constipation/diarrhea, such a joy. The anxiety, however, was really unbearable. But, honestly, the worst side effect for me was what I would call "an electric shock" running through my body. It was like I was being struck by lightning. They would just come on suddenly and scare the living daylights out of me. First time it happened one night during a thunderstorm, and honestly, I thought my house had been hit. I let it go. Then, over the weekend, had a couple more "shocks" and said, that's it.

This week was going to be the start of week 7. I called PDoc this morning (she's truly a sharp cookie, and her nurse is the BEST) and she said, STOP immediately and go back to Wellbutrin.

No titrating because I wasn't on it long enough. I feel comfortable about the decision. And, best part is of course, since it's new, there is no generic. The prescription was $50. Wellbutrin was $12.39. I like that.

Hopefully the adjustment from the Viibryd to Wellbutrin won't be too long.

I enjoy this site. It is such a wealth of wonderful information.

If this post helps one person, then that is why we share and encourage one another.

Happy Karen

"Be Happy Where you are on the Way to Where you are Going!"

#8 Jsweet

Jsweet

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:57 PM

I have been on viibryd for 2 months. All I can think about everyday is how I want to **** myself and what way would be least harmful for my kids and I sometimes can't remember waking up but end up where I'm supposed to be without realizing it. I told my psych about it and she looked at me like I had 2 heads and is gonna give me a new med. She told me that because I had a smile when I told her these things that she doesn't understand. have tried so many meds in the last 2 years. I am so tired of feeling this way. I'm sure it's all me and I know
I'm crazy

Edited by Jsweet, 08 November 2011 - 10:00 PM.

#9 Xande

Xande

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:36 PM

I have been on viibryd for 2 months. All I can think about everyday is how I want to **** myself and what way would be least harmful for my kids and I sometimes can't remember waking up but end up where I'm supposed to be without realizing it. I told my psych about it and she looked at me like I had 2 heads and is gonna give me a new med. She told me that because I had a smile when I told her these things that she doesn't understand. have tried so many meds in the last 2 years. I am so tired of feeling this way. I'm sure it's all me and I know
I'm crazy

Hey, I've def felt this way before. If I were in your shoes, I would look for a different doctor. I would never continue with my doctor if I felt they were not helping me or if I lost trust in them.
  • alexsgirl1026 likes this

#10 alexsgirl1026

alexsgirl1026

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:03 AM

I don't know if this is where I should post but I need help.  I went and saw my doctor yesterday.  One I feel like my doctor might be getting a kick back or something from Viibryd but I could be wrong, anyway I was very sure this time I was going to get what I wanted and that was to be taken off the viibryd.  B4 I go any further let me give you a little back history on me.

I am 35 I have battled depression really really bad for the last 9 10 years of my life but I also was in a miserable marriage I have since left him I am now divorced and in love with my best friend our relationship has gotten stronger and stronger day by day.  However, there are things that I feel are missing in my life and I don't know if that is due to the depression the meds the lifestyle change I am just not sure.  I did a whole lifestyle change on Nov 15 when I left my then husband  my ex husband now.  On July of 2012 my now ex husband and I and kids had just moved into our first NEW house that I was paying for but was financed under his father's name (our credit sucks).  This house had all our dreams in it but yet even having the perfect house isn't so perfect without love....it was in the perfect place the neighborhood was perfect everything was perfect but being with him wasn't.  So the day I left him I left EVERYTHING behind the NEW house the perfect neighborhood the perfect porch the work we had put into that house MY money put into that house (he wasn't working hadn't been for two years).  I went from having this to not having this I went from being like this to being like that.  Life was is way different now for me.  Things I gave up I have gained in other aspects....and I know over time I will get my dream house my perfect life because I have LOVE I have the perfect man now.  I have kids and I miss them they are with their daddy but I see them almost daily they are with their Daddy because they like I said had just moved so it wasn't fair to move them back to the city they had just moved from...oh yes that was something I didn't metion when I left my EX I moved in with my best friend we had been having an affair then from Oct 26 to Nov 15 the day I left I moved back to a city I hated that I had just left....see I took several steps backwards...I lived off of quilt for so long and supported my ex continued paying house payments up until recently because I felt obligated too.  I make child support payments

So on to my main concerns...yesterday went to my doctor and said I want to stop viibryd I don't like the sexual side effects it has on me...and at this point in my life that is VERY important to me.  My doctor didn't ask any other questions he was like ok do you want to go back to something you have been on b4 or something new...now in the past he would have argued with me or fought me tooth and nail...so I went on to tell him I was concerned because anytime I was late for a viibryd does I would itch really really bad and he said he didn't feel that was the viibryd (i felt like he was very dismissive).  So yesterday I took the Wellbutrin (it after researched seemed to have lowest sexual side effects so i wanted to try it) and no Viibryd yesterday but the itching yesterday was so intensive....I have had extreme itching today and headached I finally broke down and took half a 40 mg Viibryd.  Any advice?  Doctor told me to stop Viibryd and start taking Wellbutrin 1 for the first 7 days then twice a day after that....HELP the itching I can't take I was digging at my skin so bad yesterday.  And even know after I have taken the half of the viibryd the itching hasn't subsided what should I do?  Sorry for my book long novel and if there is any spelling mistakes I am sorry but I am so lazy I don't want to go back and proof read.  Guys I am going to tell you I have been in some dark corners and if talking to people can help me I will cause it is scary out there...Love anyone that will listen and can relate to me.

Edited by alexsgirl1026, 18 May 2013 - 11:21 AM.

• mtn34 likes this

#11 Amalfi

Amalfi

• PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:02 PM

I detest both medications, but I understand they have different affects on different people. I had bad experiences with both... but ironically, Viibryd increased my sex drive. I could "get off" without doing anything, but merely thinking about sex. ;)

The Wellburtrin made me moody, anxious, sweaty, disorientated, forgetful.... I would leave my car running and go straight into the house to sleep. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users