• Announcements

• Lindsay

Depression Forums Are Back Online!   02/09/2016

Hello Members! Please understand that this upgrade was huge and is a process that will be ongoing for a tad longer. Somethings may not seem 'right' or look a bit 'strange' at the moment, such as your profile page or "Quotes" etc.. Some things may not work as expected... for the time being, but please appreciate that we have to prioritize function over appearance. Eventually DF will all come together and be wonderful! It will be as if nothing had ever changed... As an afterthought...DF will be ACCESSIBLE ANYTIME/ANYWHERE
      Whether you’re on your smartphone, tablet or computer, access to Depressionforums.org/forums is right at your fingertips with our new upgrade. The
      refreshing, dynamic look translates across all platforms and devices.
      Come join up, become a member if not already! It’s free to post to your peers about anything that is troubling you.  We are certain there is a Forum for that. Tomorrow we will have a Forum set up for members to answer any questions that you may have about the upgrade. We really appreciate all of your feedback! Your Forum Administrators
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EmmaLouise

Restless Legs And Fluoxetine

5 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post  

Hi,

My Doc started me on Prozac 20mg daily 3 weeks ago. I had nausea, dizziness and insomnia the first couple of weeks but these side effects seem to be going gradually now. The one thing that is really annoying me is having really restless legs. The last couple of weeks when I sit or lie down and especially at night when I go to bed I don't feel comfortable unless my legs are moving. And I don't mean like a small twitch I mean really moving my legs up and down constanly and bending my kness right up and twisting my ankles. I have to concentrate to keep them still but it has this achy feeling when I do this that I can't explain. I have had to get out of bed the last few nights because it keeps my husband awake.

Anyone else suuffering like this?

EmLou

Posted · Report post  

Welcome to DF, EmmaLouise,

While I can't say if Prozac has caused your RLS, it could be a side-effect. Have you talked to your GP about this? RLS can be treated with another medication.

Sheepwoman

Posted · Report post  

Hi Sheepwoman,

Thanks for the reply :) I have an appt with my GP tomorrow to review my meds so will talk to her about it then. I do hope it is something that will go away though. It's only been 3 weeks so it's hard to tell if the Prozac is going to work for me but I'm afraid if the dosage in increased it will make the feelings worse. Guess only one way to find out....

EmLou

Posted (edited) · Report post  

Hi,

My Doc started me on Prozac 20mg daily 3 weeks ago. I had nausea, dizziness and insomnia the first couple of weeks but these side effects seem to be going gradually now. The one thing that is really annoying me is having really restless legs. The last couple of weeks when I sit or lie down and especially at night when I go to bed I don't feel comfortable unless my legs are moving. And I don't mean like a small twitch I mean really moving my legs up and down constanly and bending my kness right up and twisting my ankles. I have to concentrate to keep them still but it has this achy feeling when I do this that I can't explain. I have had to get out of bed the last few nights because it keeps my husband awake.

Anyone else suuffering like this?

EmLou

i think its a fairly common side-effect. i have it. my brother has it. my friend B. has it. it can be annoying, both to the person with the restless legs, and to significant others. i know it bothered my ex-gf a bit.

maybe going to a lower dose will help? hopefully your doctor will have some good ideas.

do you drink much caffeine? i don't know if there's any relation but maybe there is.

in any case, i sympathize and hope you can get it under control.

oh, and be aware that it can sometimes take a while before you notice the positive effects of SSRIs. The last time I started them it took almost 2 months for it to kick in, but when it did, hallelujah. i was like a new person.

Edited by peskypesky

Posted · Report post  

I have it, it became less after a month. Clonazepam helped me with anxiety, insomnia and the restless leg. Talk to your doc about clona or wait it out