Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Sleep Disorders

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 forlornhope

forlornhope

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:11 PM

Anyways I seem to have several sleep related disorders. I've posted before about night terrors, but I also get sleep paralysis and regular bouts of insomnia. Last night I got stuck in a sleep paralysis loop again and before sleeping heard sudden loud noises in my head when all external ones stopped. Instantly waking me back up - apparently it's fairly normal? According to wiki it's called "exploding head syndrome" which is a ridiculous name for it! It's harmless, but irritating.
I managed a nap earlier because I was so tired, which just makes things worse, and I don't want to sleep tonight after yesterday but I have to. I wonder if the meds are making it worse and adding to my stress. I just want out. Of everything.

Edited by Trace, 26 August 2011 - 03:23 AM.
Topic move

#2 xNerfHerderX

xNerfHerderX

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:24 PM

Do we have a sleep disorders subforum? I can't find it.

Anyways I seem to have several sleep related disorders. I've posted before about night terrors, but I also get sleep paralysis and regular bouts of insomnia. Last night I got stuck in a sleep paralysis loop again and before sleeping heard sudden loud noises in my head when all external ones stopped. Instantly waking me back up - apparently it's fairly normal? According to wiki it's called "exploding head syndrome" which is a ridiculous name for it! It's harmless, but irritating.
I managed a nap earlier because I was so tired, which just makes things worse, and I don't want to sleep tonight after yesterday but I have to. I wonder if the meds are making it worse and adding to my stress. I just want out. Of everything.

I have a lot of sleep problems too. Sometimes I wake up because I feel like I am not breathing and feel out of breath when I wake up. I guess it's a symptom of apnia? Sometimes it's associated with dreams of me being in a real-life situation then not being able to breath and I get real light-headed like I'm going to faint or go into a seizure. Everything starts fading in and out of blackness and reality. Then I wake up. Sometimes that happens when I am awake, too, but more often when I am asleep. Sometimes my body will jerk so violently right before I fall asleep that it wakes me up and I can't fall asleep for awhile longer.

I have been taking ambien for maybe a year now, and that has been helping. I had to upgrade to the strongest control-release because it was making me wake up in the middle of the night and not being able to sleep. Maybe you should look into it.
Mother Terra is sinking, and I am going down with the ship. My martyrdom I bear alone. She will exact our revenge.

#3 sober4life

sober4life

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:27 PM

I have insomnia too. Sometimes I can go without sleep for 5 days straight and I have no idea why. It's like I never feel like I need sleep.

#4 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,976 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:26 PM

I've always had horrible sleep patterns since I was a child. Sleep-wake-sleep wake all night long. Sleep-wake and not be able to go back to sleep. No sleep for days (manic episode I was without sleep 10 days.) I've tried Trazodone, Ambien, Restoril and some others with mixed results. The main problem was after 6 months the meds lost their effectiveness (not Restoril). I currently take Risperdol and Amitryptaline and actually get 6-8 hours of solid sleep. Currently, I'm getting 1-3 hours sleep at night due to high anxiety over a serious health problem.

Have you spoken to your pdoc about your sleep issues?
Sheepwoman
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#5 ztarbrite

ztarbrite

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:23 PM

I've had night terrors, sleep paralysis, hypnagogic hallucinations, exploding head syndrome, insomnia..... but right now that thinned out to almost nothing. I guess I sort of grew out of it. But the more my DSPS is worsening, so always something.

Sleep... is complex...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users