Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Menstruation

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Alley0

Alley0

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 02:35 PM

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if it is possible for depression to affect a woman's periods. I know its common in times of great anxiety to miss one, but I have not had one in 5 months.
I am not underweight, and I am DEFINITELY not pregnant. I've had several blood tests, all of which showed things to be normal. Its not my meds, fluoxotine- i was on them before and had a normal cycle, and have only started them again a few weeks ago. The doctors have no explanations.
Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

xx

#2 Trace

Trace

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,085 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 06:06 AM

Hi Alley0

I am not a professional, but depression can do some strange things physically to people, so it may be possible that it could affect them, although I have no experience with this. 5 months is an long time. May I ask how old you are?

Trace
Listen in deep silence. Be very still and open your mind.... Sink deep into the peace that waits for you beyond the frantic, riotous thoughts and sights and sounds of this insane world. - A course of miracles.

True beauty must come, must be grown, from within.... - Ralph W Trine.

Posted Image

#3 Spiritual_Wanderer

Spiritual_Wanderer

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 11:57 AM

I haven't experienced anything like that before. I have gone through different phases where my cycles were different, but have always been regular. So you are not on birth control? Are you on any other meds that might affect your cycle? Hopefully, you get it straightened out. If tests show nothing is wrong and you are healthy, I'd try not to worry about it.
Many Blessings,
SW
goldenvelope1jr.gif

Not all those who wander are lost. - J.R.R. Tolkien
Don't let the muggles get you down. ― J.K. Rowling

#4 Alley0

Alley0

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:15 PM

Thanks for replying.
It is worrying- i'm 20 and i'm not on anything else but fluoxotine. Not the pill. I have no symptoms of any ovary problems.
Maybe depression is doing weird things to me.
:(

#5 Violet31

Violet31

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:44 PM

Hi Alley0,

My periods stopped once for 7 months for no reason when I was 16, I think. I remember because I became pregnant at 17. My periods sometimes stop for a month or two when I have too much to do, but Im over forty and its normal.

I would talk to a doctor just to be sure, but Ive heard that periods can stop because of having too much to do and anxiety, plus frequent trips on airplanes.

If your blood comes up normal, dont worry about it. Hot baths and yoga can help. But if you keep thinking about it, they wont come. When you stop thinking about them, they will come. :)
When you´re going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.

Viktor Frankl

Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.
Jean-Paul Sartre

Use adversity      Declare Independence 

Violet :rose:

Posted Image

#6 Alley0

Alley0

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:13 AM

Hi Alley0,

My periods stopped once for 7 months for no reason when I was 16, I think. I remember because I became pregnant at 17. My periods sometimes stop for a month or two when I have too much to do, but Im over forty and its normal.

I would talk to a doctor just to be sure, but Ive heard that periods can stop because of having too much to do and anxiety, plus frequent trips on airplanes.

If your blood comes up normal, dont worry about it. Hot baths and yoga can help. But if you keep thinking about it, they wont come. When you stop thinking about them, they will come. :)

I'm hopefully getting tested for premature ovarian failure soon but if its possible that it could just be the anxiety and depression then i'll hold on to that. Thanks.
xxx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users