Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

My Experience With Viibryd

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_gregory719_*

Guest_gregory719_*

ID: 0

• Guests

Posted 08 August 2011 - 12:36 AM

Hello Everyone

It's been almost 2 months since starting Viibryd and here are the results for myself.

My overall impression of this drug is very negative. It started out like this very sexy girl in which I had high hopes for. It then turns out she wasn't "all that". Just a little analogy to start things off..

The problem? Side effects. The drug had...

- Sexual side effects. (maybe better feeling to start off with)
- Weight Gain and or bloating. My belly ballooned up so fast I looked much like Tom Cruise from Tropic Thunder. I went to a party last night and the first thing my best friend looked at was my belly. He was polite however. I noticed there were a few others that mentioned this same side effect here on Chipur.
- Feeling Stoned, medicated, dizzy, and just not right. I feel OK in bed on this drug, but anywhere else and I just feel off.
- Lethargic! I haven't been able to work out for 2 months. My limbs feel like heavy weights. No energy what so ever.
- There is also a strange vision problem. I see little black crawly things out the side of my vision at times. Really odd.
- More sensitive to pain. I notice that I have these little pains in teeth, lungs, back, etc. Not sure what the $%$$ is going on there.

OK....so there is actually more that I could go into. Viibryd started off quite nice. A little calming sensation and what felt like a mini brain massage. Body felt nice, etc. Not for long.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Greg

Edited by lindahurt, 08 August 2011 - 02:39 AM.

#2 lindahurt

lindahurt

Platinum Member

ID: 53269

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,474 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 01:47 AM

Hi Greg,

Like all medications there are side effects and most subside over time. I am sorry your mind and body didn''t respond well to this medication. One thing about medications is that what works for one may not another so its unfortunate that you had to endure the side effects to no avail. Hopefully you have found one that is now working for you.

Lindahurt
Even in the most horrific of situations, one's attitude has an enormous role in shaping what happens ~ Viktor Frankl
In you lies the power to choose, to commit - Stephen Convey

The kind of person you want to become is greatly influence by your inner decisions, and not from outside influence alone. We can even under adverse circumstances, decide what shall become of us ~ Brian C. Stiller

Posted Image

#3 Guest_gregory719_*

Guest_gregory719_*

ID: 0

• Guests

Posted 08 August 2011 - 02:19 AM

Thanks for the response,

I've been on pretty much every antidepressant known to man. Viibryd is "very" different than my experience with all of them.

I do understand that many respond differently to these medications. With Viibryd however, you'll start to see more people like myself come out against it. I have a very strong feeling I am not the minority on this one, but hope to be proven wrong as it would be nice to have another drug that "perhaps" help people feel better.

Time will only tell,

Greg

Hi Greg,

Like all medications there are side effects and most subside over time. I am sorry your mind and body didn''t respond well to this medication. One thing about medications is that what works for one may not another so its unfortunate that you had to endure the side effects to no avail. Hopefully you have found one that is now working for you.

Lindahurt

Edited by lindahurt, 08 August 2011 - 03:03 AM.

#4 Shattered Soldier

Shattered Soldier

Advanced Member

ID: 60322

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 02:31 AM

My doctor tried to prescribe me the same drug today, even gave me a sample pack, but I gave it right back to him. I told him that this was like all of the other drugs that haven't worked for me! Its just another SSRI created by the makers of Celexa, who used a tactical move by churning out Lexapro (which is only a slightly cleaner version of Celexa), now this drug which was made only to have a drug on the market that claims to have fewer side effects than other AD medications. I wouldn't be surprised if it were only Lexapro with an added molecule to it that they refer to as a "pump". Nobody ever claimed that it would be more effective, just a more pleasant medical experience.

Edited by lindahurt, 10 August 2011 - 07:13 PM.

goldenvelope1jr.gif bronzestar.jpg

#5 lukn4hope

lukn4hope

ID: 58523

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:49 AM

Actually I believe that it's an -odone drug and not strictly an SSRI.
Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. The information provided by me is intended purely for entertainment purposes.

#6 lkelley36

lkelley36

ID: 65370

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 10:53 AM

I have been on V for almost a month . Am feeling so much better. Have had very few side effects. Saw your post on chipur Greg. Sorry you have had so many problems. There have been some problems like dizziness at first and chaning doses, some dreams...but not bad ones...no problems that I couldn't stand. I also take Wellbutrin, and Xanax for anxiety. Guess it just effects people different. Have been reading several forums...some great post, some good, and then some bad. Guess we are all different. Well, everyone keep checking in... :)
  • Theresa06 likes this

#7 Shattered Soldier

Shattered Soldier

Advanced Member

ID: 60322

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 04:18 PM

From drugs.com:

Viibryd (vilazodone) is an antidepressant in a group of drugs called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs).

Wiipedia says so too. Unfortunately it isn't in any drug books so I have to reference over the internet. But I'm sure what my doctor told me was right as well. I also read that the SSRI label is a very STRICT classification.

Edited by Shattered Soldier, 14 August 2011 - 04:20 PM.

goldenvelope1jr.gif bronzestar.jpg

#8 menonly

menonly

Just Registered

ID: 66751

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 05:49 PM

Viibryd is not panning out to be the blockbuster it was supposed to be.

Very mixed results at best.

Howard

From drugs.com:

Viibryd (vilazodone) is an antidepressant in a group of drugs called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs).

Wiipedia says so too. Unfortunately it isn't in any drug books so I have to reference over the internet. But I'm sure what my doctor told me was right as well. I also read that the SSRI label is a very STRICT classification.

Edited by Trace, 15 August 2011 - 06:43 AM.
Addressing Admin on boards

#9 lukn4hope

lukn4hope

ID: 58523

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 07:53 PM

From drugs.com:

Read the pharmacology. It acts also as a 5-HT1A receptor partial agonist similar to buspirone and Abilify. All drugs such as Paxil, Prozac, Celexa, etc. that are strictly SSRIs do not have such action.

Don't just go on words that are used to describe something. Look at the mechanism of action.
Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. The information provided by me is intended purely for entertainment purposes.

#10 richf7

richf7

Just Registered

ID: 67743

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 11:20 AM

My doc tapered me off Lexapro and started me on Viibrydr 8 weeks ago, and my experience has been very positive. Most of the GI disturbances have dissipated. The only other side effect is vivid dreams, but they aren't nightmares. The excessive sweating, fatigue, and sexual issues from Lexapro are gone. I wake up feeling refreshed and energized insead of groggy. I'm very pleased.

#11 scottybear

scottybear

ID: 8964

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 02:15 AM

Hi Greg, I've had a similar experience with Viibryd, it just wasn't as good as I hopped.

-Sexual Side Effects (Slightly better than other SSRIs, but not completely gone like I had hopped
-OCD (This medication doesn't help nearly as much as others with regards to OCD, so if you have it, it may not work as well)
-Weight Gain & Bloating. Yeah I had some of this, not as bad as others, but there was a bit of bloat. The weight gain wasn't so bad, but I was hardly eating and not losing a pound which made no sense.
-Stoned, medicated and dizzy. Yes but far worse at the beginning.
-Lethargic, my energy to do things was worse
-Vision, didn't seem to be effected much
-Feeling awkward in public, not wanting to socialize as much. Maybe this was the depression

All in all, just not so great. If you've been waiting for better results, not sure if this one is going to do it for you. Basically i'm screwed may have to go back to older medication

#12 Cary

Cary

Just Registered

ID: 68199

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:25 PM

It is true that Viibryd is a combination of an SSRI, as well another sort of drug (a pharmacist suggested to me that there is a connection with Trazodone as well). Anyway it is true that it has SSRI actions, but something else is going on as well.

I have now been on Viibryd for approx 2 months. I've never gone above 20 mg, and that's the dosage that I'm taking now. Went down to 10mg for a couple of weeks as I hadn't liked how I was feeling, but decided to go back up to 20, and possibly up to 40 in the future. Not sure yet. It has been somewhat of a difficult ride, but I have had periods on and off of very calm, clear headed, positive sense of being, so I'm sticking with it for a while, with the hopes that the side effects will eventually go away. For me the side effects have been dizziness, and loss of ability to concentrate for periods each day, a feeling of unease, lack of desire to get up and go forward, feeling of heaviness in my limbs, lack of strength and energy when exercising, sleeping deeply with numerous dreams, problems with loose stools, lack of social interest, sexual side effects, difficulty and delayed orgasm, inner anger.

You might wonder why with all of these side effects I would even consider continuing to take this med. Well, I've tried most all of the SSRI ADs and failed miserably with excessive anxiety after a few days, as well as difficulty sleeping. I've thought that if I could get onto an SSRI it might help cure the problems I've been having for many years. And now with Viibryd, I think this may be the case. For example, right now I feel extremely lucid and calm with a sense of humor, which to me is always telling. Tonight I was at the gym, and felt more energy, and positivity (before exercising), while being calm and able to listen to others, and feeling for them, another telling sign, at least to me.

I had taken Lamictal on and off for the past few years as it helped with my mood more than any other med I had found, and I've tried so many (wish it weren't necessary, but such is life). But I was having so much trouble with my memory on the Lamictal, and in some ways I wasn't really feeling calm, and my insecurity was still pronounced. So, my instinct had led me to think that this might be the best thing. My sense is that another month on 20mg and I'll be feeling much better, more regularly.

Had had a very terrifying experience with psilocybin mushrooms about 20 years ago, and I don't think I've ever recovered fully, and that is why I'm trying to figure a way to bring back my equilibrium. With Viibryd, as tough as the ride has been, I'm hopeful that it will play a significant part in that process.

I hope very much that this will help someone else who can relate in some way.

Edited by Cary, 13 September 2011 - 11:35 PM.

#13 ladysmurf

ladysmurf

ID: 67203

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:52 AM

It is true that Viibryd is a combination of an SSRI, as well another sort of drug (a pharmacist suggested to me that there is a connection with Trazodone as well). Anyway it is true that it has SSRI actions, but something else is going on as well.

I have now been on Viibryd for approx 2 months. I've never gone above 20 mg, and that's the dosage that I'm taking now. Went down to 10mg for a couple of weeks as I hadn't liked how I was feeling, but decided to go back up to 20, and possibly up to 40 in the future. Not sure yet. It has been somewhat of a difficult ride, but I have had periods on and off of very calm, clear headed, positive sense of being, so I'm sticking with it for a while, with the hopes that the side effects will eventually go away. For me the side effects have been dizziness, and loss of ability to concentrate for periods each day, a feeling of unease, lack of desire to get up and go forward, feeling of heaviness in my limbs, lack of strength and energy when exercising, sleeping deeply with numerous dreams, problems with loose stools, lack of social interest, sexual side effects, difficulty and delayed orgasm, inner anger.

You might wonder why with all of these side effects I would even consider continuing to take this med. Well, I've tried most all of the SSRI ADs and failed miserably with excessive anxiety after a few days, as well as difficulty sleeping. I've thought that if I could get onto an SSRI it might help cure the problems I've been having for many years. And now with Viibryd, I think this may be the case. For example, right now I feel extremely lucid and calm with a sense of humor, which to me is always telling. Tonight I was at the gym, and felt more energy, and positivity (before exercising), while being calm and able to listen to others, and feeling for them, another telling sign, at least to me.

I had taken Lamictal on and off for the past few years as it helped with my mood more than any other med I had found, and I've tried so many (wish it weren't necessary, but such is life). But I was having so much trouble with my memory on the Lamictal, and in some ways I wasn't really feeling calm, and my insecurity was still pronounced. So, my instinct had led me to think that this might be the best thing. My sense is that another month on 20mg and I'll be feeling much better, more regularly.

Had had a very terrifying experience with psilocybin mushrooms about 20 years ago, and I don't think I've ever recovered fully, and that is why I'm trying to figure a way to bring back my equilibrium. With Viibryd, as tough as the ride has been, I'm hopeful that it will play a significant part in that process.

I hope very much that this will help someone else who can relate in some way.

My doctor is suggesting this to me. He said it' seems to be working for those who don't respond to the usual anti-depressants

Until you make peace with who you are, you'll never be content with what you have

#14 Eskeech

Eskeech

ID: 61764

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:39 PM

Thanks for the response,

I've been on pretty much every antidepressant known to man. Viibryd is "very" different than my experience with all of them.

I do understand that many respond differently to these medications. With Viibryd however, you'll start to see more people like myself come out against it. I have a very strong feeling I am not the minority on this one, but hope to be proven wrong as it would be nice to have another drug that "perhaps" help people feel better.

Time will only tell,

Greg

Hi Greg,

Lindahurt

Hi Greg and other V users,
I'm on day 6 of viibryd. As I have posted in other threads, I'm having severe bloat. In the span of one day my jeans went from loose to too tight! I just bought something from whole foods for bloat, so hopefully that will help. I was curious if this particular side effect lessened for you after a while? This drug in combination with others over the past 18 months has made me gain between 20-30 lbs. I;m miserable. And today i got a new side effect - my left eyelid twitching! I'm also curious as to what has worked for you in the past. Emsam was working for me but stopped. Considering Parnate. Also, I've taken prozac before and had little to no side effects and am very seriously considering going back to it - just at a higher dose. Have you ever tried an maoi?
I hope you are doing well,
eskeech

#15 Just_1_Person

Just_1_Person

ID: 66322

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:16 PM

I went to the dr today and he gave me a sample of viibryd... i'm sort of iffy about using it because i've tried cymbalta for a month (didn't do anything). Then I tried zoloft and it gave me unwanted side effects within the first 4 days... So i stopped.
i don't want to gain wait because i already gained 10 lbs. :(

anyway. i just want to be myself again. i also suffer from PTSD and not sure if this will interact w/ it and make it better or worse.

#16 Stebo

Stebo

Just Registered

ID: 70145

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:27 PM

Rich my doc just started this with me. The Lexapro just wasn't as effective as it once was. I'm presently tapering of it now and will be starting the Viibryd in about two weeks. I hope you continue to have the positive results and only hope I can report the same. I had all of the same side effects as you with the Lexapro. Hope to report some good news soon. Thanks for sharing your story. Good luck.

My doc tapered me off Lexapro and started me on Viibrydr 8 weeks ago, and my experience has been very positive. Most of the GI disturbances have dissipated. The only other side effect is vivid dreams, but they aren't nightmares. The excessive sweating, fatigue, and sexual issues from Lexapro are gone. I wake up feeling refreshed and energized insead of groggy. I'm very pleased.

#17 Takeda

Takeda

Just Registered

ID: 70189

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:44 PM

My problem isn't depression - it's severe pain and nausea associated with chronic pancreatitis (which was caused by scarring from peritonitis). My pain doc suggested Viibryd and gave me a sample pack. He thought that modifying my seratonin levels might help (I'm currently on morphine, which is semi-effective).

I decided to do some research before taking this stuff, and what I've read is not encouraging. I can function with pain (I'm ex-SF), but being stoned, sleepy, and lethargic isn't where I want to go. I do freelance metal forming and welding; I can still function. I'm concerned that Viibryd may take away this ability.

If anyone want to reply or comment - is this judgement of Viibryd too harsh?

Thanks, in advance -

#18 Palomine

Palomine

ID: 69087

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:56 PM

After reading several posts here from people who have started Viibryd in the last 6 months I was very cautious about it. After 20 years of useless meds I have been off all antidepressants for several years and doing well but this spring and summer just did me in. I am still not happy to start on medication again and certainly did not want to even think of haveing to cope with the kinds of side effects folks were mentioning.

I decided to go very slowly the same way I weaned off my old meds. I subdivided my doses to half the recommended rate and extended the titration period from 7 to 10 days before increasing to the next level. I have now been on the 10 mg dose for 4 days, with very little in the way of physical effects other than some more frequent bowel activity but nothing I would call diahrea. I actually think I feel better today despite several days of gloomy grey weather ( I also have SAD so this time of year would be difficult even if I were not so depressed going in). My concentration was good, I was able to stay on task with several things I needed to do, I did not find myself reflecting negatively on everything that came my way, I was not nearly as short tempered as I have been for the last several months. I won't call it a turn around but I am cautiously hopeful. If I think this is working in another week I may extend at this low dose and not increase unless I feel I need to. I have an appointment in two weeks with my psychiatrist so will see what he thinks also. Don't have any opinion about how it will treat your PTSD, wish you well.

I went to the dr today and he gave me a sample of viibryd... i'm sort of iffy about using it because i've tried cymbalta for a month (didn't do anything). Then I tried zoloft and it gave me unwanted side effects within the first 4 days... So i stopped.
i don't want to gain wait because i already gained 10 lbs. :(

anyway. i just want to be myself again. i also suffer from PTSD and not sure if this will interact w/ it and make it better or worse.

#19 tuxedoreno

tuxedoreno

Just Registered

ID: 70316

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:33 AM

Im 23 I have been on Viibryd for about two months or so now, i have severe social anxiety and PTSD from my growing up situation. I have tried many medications however most of them i had sexual side effects, this is the first one i haven't side effects on that so far. I do get light headed if im late (time wise) on taking my med in the morning. I had a mix up with my pharmacy and missed the meds for 4 days and got extremely ill, bad thoughts and felt like i didn't know who i was, almost like i was my own stranger and i finally found out what "brain zaps" felt like to the point i couldn't drive.- super scary. The moment i took my meds within 30 minutes i felt almost back to normal except the brain zaps lasted for a week or so. I got a really bad cold and took some Nyquil (on other meds i took it and went to bed and if anything just made me super tired) . The combo of the two made me super sick (vomiting, diarrhea, no sleep etc.) . Just a FYI for anyone out there who has a cold and wants to take cold medicine....dont take nyquil with it! I do seem to wake up most mornings around 3 am wide awake, however after some time im able to go back to bed. I do feel like lately i have been getting annoyed more then normal, but that might just be me = )
I have had a super big appetite since i started the meds (ive gained 23 since i have started any anxiety meds) and about 10lbs from this medication. Ive finally leveled out for the most part. I wasnt going to wrie on any forum or anything but because this medication is so new i feel like there are very little sites to help you...

#20 Stebo

Stebo

Just Registered

ID: 70145

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:59 PM

Tapered off the Lexapro and now on my 2nd day of 10mg of Viibryd. It's been more difficult than I expected coming off the Lexapro. Basically just slowly crashed. So far nothing really to report on the V as of yet. I'm so hoping for an imporved daily life. Good luck to all of you !
  • Theresa06 likes this

#21 Spiritual_Wanderer

Spiritual_Wanderer

Community Assistant

ID: 57536

• DF Support
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:49 PM

Here is a good thread here about Viibryd:

http://www.depressio...__1#entry771467
Many Blessings,
SW