Advertisement

Scheduled Maintenance:

Please be aware that depressionforums will be down for a short period beginning from 02:00 EST (07:00 GMT) on Sunday 21st December for necessary maintenance. We apologise for the inconvenience and it should only take about 45 minutes.

• No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Pristiq Withdrawal Symptoms

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Pristiq6

Pristiq6

Just Registered

ID: 66415

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:35 AM

If you clicked on this you know about the withdrawal symptoms of pristiq. I have tried 3 times to stop. I took half a pill for several days. Then half a pill every other day after this. It doesn't matter how slowly I tried coming off of pristiq. The effects are so horrible if I stop taking it. I cannot sleep or think clearly when I stop. I think violent and suicidal thoughts. I have a job and a wonderful girlfriend who loves me. I cannot let her down and be hospitalized again. I must stop taking pristiq because of the sexual side effects, the feeling of numbness, and the high blood pressure. This is the worst thing that has happened to me while being under a doctors care. I cannot take any narcotics to help me cope with withdrawal symptoms because of drug interactions with saphris, an antipsychotic medication. I feel pfizer knows about these withdrawal symptoms and knows of a drug to combat them. If there is anything anyone knows please respond. I know no one deserves this feeling that comes with attempts to stop taking a pill.

#2 Liliah

Liliah

Silver Member

ID: 50342

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:04 AM

Hey there,

You're not wrong to be frustrated, nor do you sound paranoid regarding the manufacturer. In 2009, Wyeth actually admitted that released Pristiq has a very difficult withdrawal for some people, similar to how many did with Effexor. Could it be that those horrible feelings are what the short (remember that) withdrawal effects are like on this medication? I've definitely had some hard ones. I hear you on the hospitalizations, but if you feel acutely suicidal and in danger when off this drug, it doesn't seem tenable to go off it at home. I want you to be as safe as possible. Intense suicidal ideation is a possible side effect, but the big ones (as in most common) are the nightmares the the ridiculous sweating. I don't know if you'd had those luxuries! Do you think you can safely come off of it without acute medical care? I've got you, as I've been in the hospital three times this year and don't exactly love it, but you really have to ask yourself if it's essential. You will be able to get off of this eventually, but it might be really, really hard. Are you going to be going on another SNRI? Perhaps the withdrawal doesn't need to be two weeks. When switching me from one MAOI to another, I was able to go on the new one in a week because I was tanking so hard.

I wish you luck at getting off of Pristiq, and looking forward to your eventually positive report. You're going to be okay.

Sincerely,
Liliah

#3 Pristiq6

Pristiq6

Just Registered

ID: 66415

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:42 PM

Hey there,

You're not wrong to be frustrated, nor do you sound paranoid regarding the manufacturer. In 2009, Wyeth actually admitted that released Pristiq has a very difficult withdrawal for some people, similar to how many did with Effexor. Could it be that those horrible feelings are what the short (remember that) withdrawal effects are like on this medication? I've definitely had some hard ones. I hear you on the hospitalizations, but if you feel acutely suicidal and in danger when off this drug, it doesn't seem tenable to go off it at home. I want you to be as safe as possible. Intense suicidal ideation is a possible side effect, but the big ones (as in most common) are the nightmares the the ridiculous sweating. I don't know if you'd had those luxuries! Do you think you can safely come off of it without acute medical care? I've got you, as I've been in the hospital three times this year and don't exactly love it, but you really have to ask yourself if it's essential. You will be able to get off of this eventually, but it might be really, really hard. Are you going to be going on another SNRI? Perhaps the withdrawal doesn't need to be two weeks. When switching me from one MAOI to another, I was able to go on the new one in a week because I was tanking so hard.

I wish you luck at getting off of Pristiq, and looking forward to your eventually positive report. You're going to be okay.

Sincerely,
Liliah

So you are suggesting I go off it in the hospital? I am afraid it will halt my progress. In time I will try and forget this assumption and try to do it there. The symptoms are flu like and I feel very horrible. It is something I hated so much that I have been stockpiling the medication so I will never run out. I am not sure of how to keep my job and go off of it. I was very emotional and couldn't keep it together when I tried to go off.. There is nothing wrong with hospitalization but I don't want to feel like I'm in the wrong place and make problems for myself. Thanks for the response. Maybe there is something created to help with these withdrawal symptoms..

#4 lukn4hope

lukn4hope

ID: 58523

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 04:24 PM

I've never taken Pristiq so I'm not sure about this because Pristiq is an SNRI and not an SSRI. Talk to your pdoc. When people want to withdraw from an SSRI, sometimes the doctor will give a few Prozac tablets to help with the withdrawal because Prozac has a long half life and is gently eliminated from your body. Whether it works for a SNRI, I don't know. But it is something to discuss with your doctor.
Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. The information provided by me is intended purely for entertainment purposes.

#5 girlygirl

girlygirl

Just Registered

ID: 66850

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 12:50 PM

If you clicked on this you know about the withdrawal symptoms of pristiq. I have tried 3 times to stop. I took half a pill for several days. Then half a pill every other day after this. It doesn't matter how slowly I tried coming off of pristiq. The effects are so horrible if I stop taking it. I cannot sleep or think clearly when I stop. I think violent and suicidal thoughts. I have a job and a wonderful girlfriend who loves me. I cannot let her down and be hospitalized again. I must stop taking pristiq because of the sexual side effects, the feeling of numbness, and the high blood pressure. This is the worst thing that has happened to me while being under a doctors care. I cannot take any narcotics to help me cope with withdrawal symptoms because of drug interactions with saphris, an antipsychotic medication. I feel pfizer knows about these withdrawal symptoms and knows of a drug to combat them. If there is anything anyone knows please respond. I know no one deserves this feeling that comes with attempts to stop taking a pill.

Hi. I just joined this forum--mostly because I too am currently withdrawing from Pristiq. My pdoc is having me wean slowly: 1 pill every other day for 2 weeks, then 1 pill every 2 days for 2 weeks, then stop. From doing some research (I am not a doctor or expert in any way) here is what I have learned and am personally doing to help with the withdrawal: 1) Omega 3 supplements--this should help with the brain zaps, dizziness etc. 2) barley juice powder drink 2 to 3 times a day--this will detox your body more quickly and has so many other benefits. 3) NAC (n-acetyl cysteine) --more detoxing and general mood enhancer.

It would help to start this regimen at least a couple weeks before slowly weaning.

I am one week into weaning and have had very few symptoms so far. The barley juice powder can be found at any health food store or online--it does not taste bad and is a HUGE benefit, possibly a necessity, for detoxing. I use pharamceutical grade Omega 3 which I find to be the best for me, I get it online.

A few years ago I had to wean off several medications when I decided to try to get pregnant and at the same time my brother was weaning off of Paxil. We both found the above to work really well for us in all areas of withdrawal. I hope this information is helpful!!

Best of luck.

#6 Eskeech

Eskeech

ID: 61764

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:55 PM

I was taking Pristiq and Buspar at the same time and had to wean myself off of them for the requisite "wash out" before taking Emsam, an maoi. I titrated down on both pretty slowly. In the beginning towards the middle I had a series of essays due. I'm a writer and the effect on my writing was crazy. I couldn't think straight. Kept writing the same beginning of a sentence, not liking it, copying and pasting it somewhere else in case I wanted to use it later, and then doing the whole thing all over again with pretty much the same words. Crazy. I was crying on the phone to someone who was editing it for me, blowing up with anger because I wasn't able to understand what he was saying. And that was just the beginning.

Then the middle and the end of the wash out happened and that's all just a bad, confused memory. Hysterical crying, extreme irritability, suicidal thoughts, feelings of utter and total worthlessness. Fun stuff.

I don't care for the propensity that my doc and others in the field have to refuse to call it withdrawal. What do they call it? Readjustment? some such nonsense. I was just as bad off those meds during those two weeks as i was 2 yrs ago when I started to take medication in the first place (I know this because my start on this roller coaster was due to very specific horrible losses in my life that all happened in a short period of time. I literally went from fine and happy to the worst ever in one day). Through therapy I have made definitive progress - it isn't all due to medication, so to say that without it takes me right back to the beginning is horrifying. I chose not to believe that. But that's probably another topic.

All I can say is talk to your doc, maybe you can titrate down even slower, and ask him to get creative with other meds that could help you through the process. i had no idea what i was getting into otherwise I would've. My pdoc said to let him know if I felt "agitated". And definitely try what girlygirl suggested. It helped her and hey - it certainly can't hurt. I wish I had know about those possible remedies. Talk to your gf, explain how you are feeling and why you are scared. Open up to her, prepare her. She loves you, she'll be there. But most of all, try and remember that it ends.

Best fo luck to you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users