Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Wellbutrin Vs. Stimulant Drugs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rhcp

rhcp

ID: 66330

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:31 PM

Hello, I'm new here and fairly new to the drug world as well. I was curious as to what differs between you're SSRI's and stimulant drugs such as Xanax or Adderall. I've been on SSRI's for about 2 years now (first Paxil, then Celexa and finally Prozac) but lately I seem to have no energy whatsoever. I told my psychiatrist so he started me on Wellbutrin 100mg twice a day. Would a stimulant work better to take me out of this "lack of energy" state I'm currently in?

-Many Thanks

#2 lukn4hope

lukn4hope

ID: 58523

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:20 PM

Hello, I'm new here and fairly new to the drug world as well. I was curious as to what differs between you're SSRI's and stimulant drugs such as Xanax or Adderall. I've been on SSRI's for about 2 years now (first Paxil, then Celexa and finally Prozac) but lately I seem to have no energy whatsoever. I told my psychiatrist so he started me on Wellbutrin 100mg twice a day. Would a stimulant work better to take me out of this "lack of energy" state I'm currently in?

-Many Thanks

Stimulants will definitely give you energy, but they lose their effectiveness over time whereas Wellbutrin, if it works, should work better with time. Stimulants are controlled substances so doctors don't like to prescribe them. Also, stimulants can be habit forming whereas Wellbutrin is not.

I should also point out that Xanax is not a stimulant.
Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. The information provided by me is intended purely for entertainment purposes.

#3 Xande

Xande

ID: 66153

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 07:33 PM

Like the poster said above, Xanax is not a stimulant, it's a benzo. I'm on a different benzo, but I can tell you it doesn't help with energy at all, actually makes you a bit tired/drowsy.

Wellbutrin had no effect on me, wasn't for me I guess, but seems to help other people. I'm currently on adderall and it does help for energy but I wasn't prescribed it for energy but to help with my ADD concentration and focus issues. I'm not sure how many pdocs would be willing to prescribe it to help with energy, especially due to the fact that it is a controlled schedule II substance.

Does caffeine help you at all?

#4 lindahurt

lindahurt

Platinum Member

ID: 53269

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,474 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:01 PM

I am on Wellbutrin/bupropion and its known for giving you the energy and that boost you need to get going. It may increase anxiety and cause some insomia but should go away over time and you may not even have these side effects. Wellbutrin is not for everyone but its one of my favorites among the combo that I take.

Lindahurt
Even in the most horrific of situations, one's attitude has an enormous role in shaping what happens ~ Viktor Frankl
In you lies the power to choose, to commit - Stephen Convey

The kind of person you want to become is greatly influence by your inner decisions, and not from outside influence alone. We can even under adverse circumstances, decide what shall become of us ~ Brian C. Stiller

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users