Looking for a buddies to go toe to toe with me, accepting the challenge of coming up with 3 positives a day. The challenge is to find at least three good things out of every day, no matter how large or how small. I had a thread like this a while back at the Walkers in Darkness forums, however after a major crash of the web site, my buddy disappeared never to return again. I would like to continue this if people are willing to join me. It really works for me, but not if I am doing it alone. I have been making entries consistently on a daily basis since March 30 2009. So glad to see so many joining in!
Why it's important to me to do this thread:
to remind myself that even in the midst of a miserable day, there are good highlights. And the more I look, the more I am able to find.
Some things are small and consistent, like the way it feels when my cat curls up in my lap or sunlight streams through a window.
Some are accomplishments achieved, big or small.
Some are connections made, even if it's just the smile of a store clerk.
Here are a few samples of recent posts in the old thread, to serve as a model and get you started:
Every time I read this thread, it gets more awesome.
It's amazing the little things we take for granted. I noticed a lot of us have described those every-day tasks that seem trivial to many, but are a big deal when you're getting over a depression. Gratefulness trumps negativity any day, so it seems.
1) made piri piri chicken Jamie Oliver style and family enjoyed it. Nice to spend time with family.
2) got another call for a job lead, HR department send my resume directly to the manager. Happy and relieved at the same time. But careful not to put all my eggs in one basket. Just happy it got sent to the right people, that's all.
3) emailed an old friend, wrote him some encouraging words.
Finishing up my positives for Friday July 8-2011:
*I got to my 3:30 eye appointment on time, and eye doctor found no new problems. And I REALLY like my eye doctor...very thorough but not an "alarmist".
*Twice today I was helped by people willing to carry umbrellas to protect me, while I inched forward with my 2 canes in the downpour. Three employees leaving work did me that courtesy at the eye place, and a young man at the hair salon offered me the favor there.
*Came home to find LOTS of GREAT posts on this forum thread. I am so grateful to find so many participating here. I first started the positivity thread on March 30 2009, in an attempt to claim the good things in my life and change my negative thinking. I have kept faithful to posting every day since, but sometimes have felt a bit lonely here. Not so anymore! The energy here is great as of late! Thank you to all who participate!
Hiya, New to this forum stuff but I found everyones stories below to be extremely UPLIFTING . I try my hardest to find things that I do or say everyday that are positive, and if my memory fails me due "cloudiness" I try to write them down as a reminder. Heres a few from today:
1. Grocery shopping (I list as a positive as shopping crowds frighten the hell out of me)
2. Saw a minor car accident and pulled over to see if anyone needed any assistance (no one was hurt thankfully)
3. Replied to this Thread,
Have a great day
AMAZING responses on this thread! Thank you to the original poster. :) What a great way to stay motivated amongst friends. I am very encouraged by this and hope to contribute in a positive way as well.
My wife was all happy and singing this morning before I took her to work.
I found the receipt for the car I brought that I thought I had lost so I didnt have to go back to the garage.
I just generally feel fairly happy.
1. Had a lovely day out with my husband.
2. Productive appointment with my GP
3. Getting husband to get lots of jobs done around the house!!
1.Found some more Disney pins for my lanyards at garage sales today.
2.Got a Star Wars book and mouse pad.
3.Had a lunchable for lunch today. Yum.
A good day today.
1. Got up and felt awake
2. Helped my daughter to work out how to cut up bunting efficiently
3. Went to a local village for Cream Tea in the Village Hall. Socialised with people I don't know. Had a laugh and made them laugh too!
Another good day. I really must remember that I have more of them now than I do the other sort.
As always, it is so refreshing and encouraging to read other responses! My mood and energy levels have been down the past week, so I practically need to read this thread every so often. Keep posting, everyone, and I hope you all have a wonderful Monday!
My three things! (or more!)
- got up at 8:00 a.m., hit the shower, and took time to find a decent outfit to wear
- spent some quality time with my cousin and niece
- enjoyed my cup of jello butterscotch pudding this afternoon
- cleaned my house, laundry, now I have fresh smelling bedsheets and pillow cases!
- cousin complimented my clothing today (I felt very happy hearing that because I haven't been dressing up nicely for several weeks)
- discovered that some of my most peculiar feelings, thoughts, and emotional reactions are similar to so many people here who suffer with mental illness. I do not feel alone in all this anymore.
- I had no bad vivid nightmares yesterday. It's a welcome relief!
1. Attended a twelve step meeting.
2. Shared experience, strength and hope.
3. Encouraged a newcomer.
Best to all. Lillian
1. Finalized Chapter two on my Science Fiction book, wrote most of chapter three (been around 14-18 pages a chapter)
2. Finally looked up information about Psychiatrists in my area and laws they abide by.
3. Possibly made a new acquaintance(or friend I guess)...
1. Managed not to get too frustrated with my family since I had to be around them all day.
2. For once I didn't worry about how I can't seem to find a job.
3. Got a new CD.
I recognized a problem as it was occuring, and realized what the situation was about so I didn't have any anxiety about it. I was ok after that.
Although I had a difficult day, it ended nicely.
I fought back negative thoughts that I was bringing up to second guess myself and squashed it.
Tuesday July 19-2011:
*Made phone calls to straighten out missing WH tax bill and to redeem maturing North Carolina CD. Both calls went pretty smoothly!
*Accomplished quite a bit: First was primary goal of getting new Xrays of injured left hip. The Xray technician remembered me from last year, was quite pleasant, and even gave me my copies of my Xrays before I left the office! That will save me a whole separate trip!!!! That office gets an A+ for being user-friendly… Finally, went all the way to Home Depot, taking the "short cut" through Mansfield Hollow park, a pleasant drive. Enjoyed seeing a small airplane taking off from Windham Airport.
*I ate fresh organic pineapple pieces, and scrubbed down my face with cold water, both of which felt good.
* I am grateful I am able to acknowledge so many little things through the day today.
1. I forced myself to go downstairs for lunch with co-workers (to bee more "social").
2. Used less sugar in my coffee and had a salad for lunch.
3. Did a bit of laundry before work this morning.
2. I didn't internalize someone's actions.
3. I'm trying a bit harder to have a positive outlook
P.S. I watched some home movies yesterday. How can I let down that full-of-life, happy, little girl?
- i went for a jog today, and feel much better, more refreshed
- i ate a healthy breakfast
- i did my laundry
- i also practiced not internalizing somebody's actions today (great one, sevencos! I need to practice this more)
PLEASE JOIN US!!!!!
Edited by PeacePilgrim, 21 July 2011 - 10:08 PM.