Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

how do you know if what you hear in your head is 'the voices' or just your thoughts???

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 beg1984

beg1984

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 07:21 PM

How can you really tell if what i hear in my head is 'the voices' or just my own thoughts...

hear are some things i have noticed about the things i hear...

1) seems like it is a separate thought process from my normal thoughts

2) often what i hear is violent or self-destructive

3) i have never had a conversation with these 'voices' and have never attempted it either

4) despite absence of religion i commonly hear a voice telling me that i am going to hell that god could not forgive someone as evil as me(disspite that fact that i beleive myself to be a 'good natured person'

5) 'the voices', if that is what they are, seem to be against me

6) on more than one occassion 'the voices' had told me to **** myself, bringing me extreamly close to the brink, in the end i couldnt go thru with it, 'the voices' made it a note to remind me of how weak i am that i cant even control my own life

7) from time to time these 'voices' have taken 'physical' form in my dreams, not often, but they are usually something, or someone that is destructive or damaging to myself and everyone , or everything around me

8) these 'voices' usually can trigger an episode, one way or the other but seem more prominent when in a depressive state...

some examples of what 'the voices' have said are:

1) 'If matter can neither be created nor destroyed, then you do not exist. If you do not exist, then you can **** yourself without consquence'

2) All these things are bigger than you, you cant continue why bother...

3) one time 'the voices' explained to me in detail how to contain antimatter and use it for proplosion in a zero G enviroment, interestingly enough 4 months latter popular science released an article that explained it the same way it was explained to me, including the pictures...

i know either way these thoughts are dangerous

Edited by beg1984, 19 July 2006 - 07:28 PM.

#2 Guest_I am Cat_*

Guest_I am Cat_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2006 - 09:40 PM

((((beg))))

I think it's important that you see a therapist and a pdoc right away. Your meds or something else could be causing these auditory hallucinationa you're experiencing. Please see a professional... i think it's important that you seek the help from professionals... there is no way that we, as your peers, can know what is causing this, but i'd surely seek out the advice of a professional who can ascertain the problem.
We are here for support... to stand by you as journey through this, but please seek out help.

I wish you peace,
Cat :hearts:

#3 beg1984

beg1984

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 09:46 PM

Your meds or something else could be causing these auditory hallucinationa you're experiencing.

actually i really dont take any meds, a choice i have come to believe was wrong, meds are something i intends to get on soon

Edited by beg1984, 19 July 2006 - 09:50 PM.

#4 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 10:34 AM

I second Cat's reply. The voices are not normal and can affect your thought processes. Glad to hear that you will be seeking professional help.

My roomie has the voices, too. His doc put him on Risperdol to control them and he is doing much better. There are other meds that can control the voices, too. IT is best for you to seek treatment to quell your voices. We can give you support while you go through the healing process.

Let us know when or how your treatment goes. Do not delay in seeing your doc.
Sheepwoman :hearts:
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#5 beg1984

beg1984

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 07:01 PM

so is the general consence that if these 'voices' seem to be separate from my normal thought processor that they infact voices and not simply me thinking these things?

#6 SchroedingersCat

SchroedingersCat

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 08:12 PM

As someone who hears the voices, here is how I gauge that they are real:

1) I don't hear them within my head. They seem to be external and they come at me from all directions.

2) I know what my internal voice sounds like and they do not sound like "me". I know what self-talk is and this is not self-talk.

3) The voices are not anyone who I recognize. I hear lots of things, but the most common ones are two people. A man and a woman and they are always the same ones. Sometimes we get along and sometimes we don't. It is kinda hard to explain.

4) My pdoc says they are hallucinations and they calm down with the anti-psychotic meds that I take. And believe me when I say it takes a LOT of meds to control.

I don't know if any of this is helpful, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents.
SC Posted Image

#7 beg1984

beg1984

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 10:18 PM

2) I know what my internal voice sounds like and they do not sound like "me". I know what self-talk is and this is not self-talk.

ummm what is 'self talk'?

#8 fio

fio

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 11:39 PM

As another person who hears 'voices' as well I can tell you that they are most likely not your thoughts but are actually voices. I can usually define at least three different voices when I hear them, which make me unable to concentrate on or hear my own thoughts. I am on some pretty strong anit-psychotic medication to try and stop them. Am also waiting to hear back when my psychiatrist appointment will be.

I hope you can get them under control, they are no fun. GOOD LUCK! :hearts:

Catherine

#9 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 08:32 AM

Have you made an appointment with a psychiatrist yet? You do need to get your voices under control. They are not realistic and are not your normal thought processes.

Self-talk is a method of therapy that helps you to "talk" your way through complex thoughts or ideas. You may consider seeing a psychologist as well. A combination of meds and therapy may be right for you.

I hope you seek out professional help soon. It's the first step in recovery. We all wish you well and will be here for you.
Sheepwoman :hearts:
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#10 beg1984

beg1984

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 07:14 PM

Have you made an appointment with a psychiatrist yet?

i was attempting to make an appointment, however, it turrns out that i now lives in Linn county and therefore are nolonger eligible for services at Johnson County Mental Health so i am trying to locate a service in my area that i can use...

Edited by beg1984, 22 July 2006 - 07:15 PM.

#11 playaplaya43

playaplaya43

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 07:42 PM

I hear voices right before I fall asleep at night sometimes but nothing evil just random stuff like I hear my dad saying "get the pixie dust" or my grandfather tell me to "forget about the tow truck" depends on who i spent my day with I notice that these voices are stronger when I go on vactions. change of environment i guess. I think what your talking about are your own thoughts because I know that for me im 100% what I just heard is an auditory but it u have to take the time and think about if it was a hallucintion then I dont think it was.. as for getting these negative thoughts out of your head... see a therapist or try to bring good thoughts into your head.

Edited by playaplaya43, 28 July 2006 - 07:43 PM.

#12 Neatoboy

Neatoboy

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 08:17 PM

I often have arguements and discussions with people in my head. I don't think this qualifies as hearing voices but I'm happy if somebody corrects me. I don't really understand why I have these arguements/discussions as they aren't a replay of the conversations I've had with these people in the past and most are conversations I am unlikely to have with them in the future.

I often have a conversation (in my head) about why I refuse plastic bags when I go shopping, with a lady at work called Lynda. I've had this conversation more times than I can remember and it's not something I would actually have with her in real life.
If you feel like letting go, (hold on)
When you think you've had too much of this life, well hang on
- REM

Homer: "I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." Posted Image

#13 Neatoboy

Neatoboy

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 08:21 PM

I have also heard an audible voice which wispered in my ear when I was awake on the lounge but lying down. It told me to "move my leg". This voice has spoken to me a number of times but it is different to the conversations I often have in my head.
If you feel like letting go, (hold on)
When you think you've had too much of this life, well hang on
- REM

Homer: "I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." Posted Image

#14 Sarah_gbp

Sarah_gbp

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 05:30 PM

The difference for me, if that when I am hearing things, whether it be a crowd or the multiple voices picking on me/egging me on, they sound like they are in the room with me but I can't see anyone.

Don't know if that helps. I agree with what everyone has already said so there isn't much more for me to add. Good luck with everything.
-Sarah-

#15 adorabelle

adorabelle

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 11:27 AM

my thoughts are my own voice... and the voices and things i hear are completely different... different sounds, sound of voice, usually male and i'm a female... so that's how ikeep them apart......

~adorabelle
:hearts:
I'm too positive to be doubtful, too optimistic to be fearful and way too determined to be defeated. 

goldenvelope1jr.gif

#16 mrsbargin

mrsbargin

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:25 PM

please do see your doc

How can you really tell if what i hear in my head is 'the voices' or just my own thoughts...

3) i have never had a conversation with these 'voices' and have never attempted it either

4) despite absence of religion i commonly hear a voice telling me that i am going to hell that god could not forgive someone as evil as me(disspite that fact that i beleive myself to be a 'good natured person'

6) on more than one occassion 'the voices' had told me to **** myself, bringing me extreamly close to the brink, in the end i couldnt go thru with it, 'the voices' made it a note to remind me of how weak i am that i cant even control my own life

7) from time to time these 'voices' have taken 'physical' form in my dreams, not often, but they are usually something, or someone that is destructive or damaging to myself and everyone , or everything around me

8) these 'voices' usually can trigger an episode, one way or the other but seem more prominent when in a depressive state...

1) 'If matter can neither be created nor destroyed, then you do not exist. If you do not exist, then you can **** yourself without consquence'

3) one time 'the voices' explained to me in detail how to contain antimatter and use it for proplosion in a zero G enviroment, interestingly enough 4 months latter popular science released an article that explained it the same way it was explained to me, including the pictures...

Life is not what some one else has, but it is what we all have.

#17 Wembley

Wembley

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:26 PM

[quote name='beg1984' date='Jul 19 2006, 07:21 PM' post='134712']

Yes, these thoughts are dangerous and you are in trouble. My thoughts have never had an actual voice, but if yours *always* have, at the least, your thoughts are dangerous enough to seek help immediately. In the worst case, you are having a psychotic break (which I have had) or may have an onset of schizophrenia (I would have more to go on if I knew your age). I say this not to scare you, but if you are hearing voices that are telling you to do something (especially harmful things), I cannot stress enough that you need to seek help immediately. You can talk to me anytime you need to about my own experiences or your concerns if it would help, but I urge you to talk to (or find) a psychiatrist right away. Once you find someone, or if you already have someone, have them paged right away for immediate emergency help.
Wembley

#18 nitenurse

nitenurse

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:05 AM

if the voices are felt to be coming from 'outside' your head they are true auditory hallucinations. there is another symptom called thought insertion where it feels as though someone is putting thoughts into ur head and this can include being 'told' things but it isnt an actual hallucintion.
regardless of what it is if u are being told stuff and find it distressing or u feel u want to act on what they are telling you then u definitely need to see someone asap and get some meds.
i have had a type of thought insertion in the past and it is not nice. the fact u are questioning the symptoms makes me think u are probably not psychotic. u certainly need some support and medication tho. good luck

#19 Leaflet

Leaflet

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:52 AM

There seems to a few different kinds of voices here:

1. Real life voices

2. Your own inner monologue, the voice that when you do something stupid says "Well that was stupid!" Or when someone is hot, it says the dirtiest things

3. Voices heard upon falling asleep and waking up. These are known as hypnagogic hallucinations. Basically it's the in between phase where the brain changes from waking senses to dreaming senses and vice versa. Everyone experiences these but most people forget they had these experiences

4. Auditory hallucinations where the person actually hears other voices

5. Imagination voices, where you become so involved in hypothetical situations that you can begin to hear the voices

Beg1984, does it seem like you can also hear someone else's inner monologue? Either way I'd repeat the same advice as everyone else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users