Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Cymbalta ~ Horrible Side Effects

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 mandajayinc

mandajayinc

Just Registered

ID: 64899

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:22 AM

Okay so I started Cymbalta a couple of weeks ago and after 5 days I had to quit due to the side effects. I had a horrible metal taste in my mouth, I couldn't sleep. I was extremely anxious. However, I hate to quit on something when I know the side effects may go away. They just never got any better within those days. I am wondering if anyone experienced similar side effects, stuck it out and they lessened and eventually leveled out. I was on Wellbutrin a few years ago and had pretty bad side effects (nothing like cymbalta) but after a few weeks they did go away and the medication helped me. Now my doc is wanting me to try cymbalta for headaches and neck pain along w/depression and anxiety. If anyone has had experience w/cymbalta and horrible side effects ..... did they go away and how long do I have to stick it out to get to the other side of this medicine? I have done the basic research and then some so I am really looking for personal experience here. Thanks in advance

#2 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

ID: 17288

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:47 AM

Mandayinc,

I also had awful side effects when I first started Cymbalta-loss of appetite, nausea, dizziness, dry mouth, increased anxiety and wondered if it was worth it. I stuck it out for four weeks, but prior to that had noticed each day getting better with a symptom decreasing or disappearing. Then one day I woke up and felt "normal", and I was thrilled. I've been on it for five years now and do not regret it. It's very difficult and I do understand how awful you feel. You might ask your Dr. for something to help with the anxiety and these initial side effects. The insomnia was the worst for me.

Let us know how it goes.

Sincerely,

MaddieLouise

Okay so I started Cymbalta a couple of weeks ago and after 5 days I had to quit due to the side effects. I had a horrible metal taste in my mouth, I couldn't sleep. I was extremely anxious. However, I hate to quit on something when I know the side effects may go away. They just never got any better within those days. I am wondering if anyone experienced similar side effects, stuck it out and they lessened and eventually leveled out. I was on Wellbutrin a few years ago and had pretty bad side effects (nothing like cymbalta) but after a few weeks they did go away and the medication helped me. Now my doc is wanting me to try cymbalta for headaches and neck pain along w/depression and anxiety. If anyone has had experience w/cymbalta and horrible side effects ..... did they go away and how long do I have to stick it out to get to the other side of this medicine? I have done the basic research and then some so I am really looking for personal experience here. Thanks in advance

Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 mandajayinc

mandajayinc

Just Registered

ID: 64899

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:09 AM

Thank you! It is so good to see someone else went through the same side effects that I was. I am willing to stick it out if there is a light on the other side. I have researched and really found no one saying they had the side effects and stuck it out to find them stopping. I am willing to give it another whirl. Thanks so much for your answer

Mandayinc,

I also had awful side effects when I first started Cymbalta-loss of appetite, nausea, dizziness, dry mouth, increased anxiety and wondered if it was worth it. I stuck it out for four weeks, but prior to that had noticed each day getting better with a symptom decreasing or disappearing. Then one day I woke up and felt "normal", and I was thrilled. I've been on it for five years now and do not regret it. It's very difficult and I do understand how awful you feel. You might ask your Dr. for something to help with the anxiety and these initial side effects. The insomnia was the worst for me.

Let us know how it goes.

Sincerely,

MaddieLouise

#4 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:42 PM

Thank you! It is so good to see someone else went through the same side effects that I was. I am willing to stick it out if there is a light on the other side. I have researched and really found no one saying they had the side effects and stuck it out to find them stopping. I am willing to give it another whirl. Thanks so much for your answer

Mandayinc,

Let us know how it goes.

Sincerely,

MaddieLouise

I remember feeling alone as well, but believe me, there are many others who have experiences similar to ours. I think it is well worth sticking it out, even if you have to look at every minor side effect and detail if it is better or worse today, tomorrow, etc. Let us know!

Sincerely,

MaddieLouise
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 CherylW

CherylW

Advanced Member

ID: 55592

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 03:44 PM

I have been on cymbalta 2 weeks. I am not sure if it is working for me. Still have bad anxiety in the morning. Went on 30mg for 1 week then tried 60 mg for 2 days and the SE were too much. Went back to 30 per Dr. I really want this med to work for me and I will try and stick it out. I am also on seroquel 150 as an augmentor.

#6 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 01:56 PM

I have been on cymbalta 2 weeks. I am not sure if it is working for me. Still have bad anxiety in the morning. Went on 30mg for 1 week then tried 60 mg for 2 days and the SE were too much. Went back to 30 per Dr. I really want this med to work for me and I will try and stick it out. I am also on seroquel 150 as an augmentor.

CherylW,

You might need to stay on 30 for another week. Personally, I wouldn't move up on dosages until I was "settled" on the current one. Believe it or not, I take 90 mg., although it took time to get up to that dosage. I was at 30 and 60 for long periods, and I would stabalize, but still didn't feel "better", which is why I continued to increase it. At 90 mg., I'm great.

Sincerely,

MaddieLouise
Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 CherylW

CherylW

Advanced Member

ID: 55592

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:11 PM

Hi Maddie,

Thank you for your reply. I started taking 60mg of Cymbalta 2 nights ago. I am doing ok on it. I have meds for nausea which work well for me. I am also on ativan and Seroquel150xr. I am hopeful that the Cymbalta will work for me and I am going to tough it out.

Hugs,
Cheryl

#8 NewGal on the block

NewGal on the block

Just Registered

ID: 71214

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:41 AM

Hi,

I just startd taking 30 mg of Cymbalta. Overall I feel better, less anxious and have more energy. I am concerned that I am having severe diarhea. Is this a side effect that will stop soon? Has anyone experineced this? My appetite is decreased which is a good thing. I need to lose weight.

#9 carmell

carmell

Just Registered

ID: 71215

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:22 AM

I started tapering off my cymbalta 7 weeks ago. I was taking 120 mg per day. I haven't read anywhere on the forum (could have missed it) anyone on that amount, so I have even more questions about the withdrawals. I was put on cymbalta for a stomach ache and mild depression 6 years ago. I want off for all the same reason listed in the forum. I have been working with a doctor, but not the doctor that prescribed the cymbalta. Everytime I would go to see him, he increase the dosage, so I went to my family doctor for assistance. We tapered off and as of today I have been 9 full days without cymbalta and started burspar 10 mg, 6 days ago. This was the decision we made. I thought I was doing pretty good, but then I went crazy. I have fought 3 times to NOT go to the ER, even though I would have loved to gone there to feel better. I have had the brain zaps, I am in a fog, dizzy all the time. I have had the runs, vomiting, severe headaches, stomach aches, can't think, IRRITABLE, vision unclear, IRRITABLE (douple word not mistake, its bad), and the dizzy/fog feeling in my head doesn't seem to get much better. IS THIS NORMAL???? HAS ANYONE ELSE FELT THIS WAY??? I am just wondering how long this goes on?
There should be a rehab center for people coming off SSIR drugs.
Anyone have any words of hope, please give them to me. Actually you should send them to my husband, who was the most understanding man on earth, and now just doesn't know what to do with me.
Hope to hear from someone before Thanksgiving, but if not everyone have a blessed week.

P.S. IF YOU HAVE A CHOICE DO NOT
START TAKING CYMBALTA.

Edited by carmell, 20 November 2011 - 08:23 AM.

• Milki likes this

#10 NaraBlue

NaraBlue

ID: 68316

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:52 AM

I tried Cymbalta (and Lyrica) with awful results after one pill. Migraines with blinking spots and light and sound extreme sensitivity, dizziness to the point that I couldn't even crawl to the bathroom, nausea and vomiting that eventually led to dry heaves for about 12 hours. I'm not going to expose myself to that kind of pain for ANY length of time for ANY reason. I've tried Prozac and Effexor which resulted in irregular heartbeat and a pulse of about 140. My dr wanted me to try Elavil and I could only look at her and laugh. All I said was, "irregular heartbeat" and she just nodded. I'm getting to the point that I'm seriously afraid to try ANYTHING.

#11 Shelby11

Shelby11

ID: 68866

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:07 PM

When I started Cymbalta in September I had bad side effects to. It took a few weeks for them to pass. But eventually they did. My doctor upped my dosage about three weeks ago and all the same side effects appeared and some are still here. Eventually the headaches went away. I am still experiencing nausea, but not as much when I was first increased to 60mg. I am tired, but also not as much when the dosage was upped. One side effect though that started when I increased to 60mg was also extreme diharrea also. It's still here, but I am sure it will pass also. I am determined to stick it out to feel better. I think you just need to be patient. It will work out in the end.
Diagnosis: Bipolar 2, Anxiety, Social Phobia, OCD, Chronic Pain
Current Medication: Cymbalta 60mg, Lamotrigine 300mg, Seroquel XR 200mg, Quetiapine 25mg

#12 crazyguy

crazyguy

Advanced Member

ID: 73967

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:11 AM

CherylW,

You might need to stay on 30 for another week. Personally, I wouldn't move up on dosages until I was "settled" on the current one. Believe it or not, I take 90 mg., although it took time to get up to that dosage. I was at 30 and 60 for long periods, and I would stabalize, but still didn't feel "better", which is why I continued to increase it. At 90 mg., I'm great.

Sincerely,

MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise, I am on Cymbalta 60mg. I wonder if a higher dose would help me as well. Does body weight play into this or is it just a persons resistance to a drug that make a higher does work better. The reason I ask is that during a recent surgery using a local anaesthetic I required a larger than expected dose to **** the pain. This is making me wonder about my Cymbalta dose even more. Please comment. Thanks!

#13 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:04 PM

I have never heard that body weight would play into your dosage at all, since it is working with balancing out brain chemicals. Have things gotten any better? If not, you can always ask your Dr. if it's time for an increase and see if you start to feel better. You are still early in the start-up phase too though, so I don't think you should really completely judge it at 3-4 weeks just yet.

Sincerely,

MaddieLouise
Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 Maven

Maven

ID: 77948

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:55 AM

Body weight does not play a role in the dosage.

#15 crazyguy

crazyguy

Advanced Member

ID: 73967

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:28 PM

Body weight does not play a role in the dosage.

Maven

Why doesn't body weight play a role in cymbalta dosing? Would it not be like any other medication?

#16 Fjjsusa

Fjjsusa

Just Registered

ID: 81167

• 4 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:58 AM

I take Cymbalta with Abilify... it worked for some time. Now it's not working as much.

#17 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:39 AM

Hi Fjjsusa,

If you have been taking both for a long time, you may need to adjust your dosages. I'd definitely talk to your Dr. and see what he/she advises.

Sincerely,

MaddieLouise
Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users