Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Sudden (and i mean sudden!) onset of Suicidal Depression

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Catching-a-Breath

Catching-a-Breath

• PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 09:03 PM

hey yall,

i have been gone for a while. i had mono (yep, the "kissing virus" but i did not get it from kissing...some other boring way, like eating after someone or something!).

anyway, i have been asleep for 2 months...it has been really, really, really awful.

at first, my Psych doctor thought it might be depression (since i had experienced a severe mania feb-april) but eventually, she did a mono test, because the symptoms were not lining up with depression...and i was so completely exhausted....

so, that is the background. i am just finally starting to wake up, as of a week ago. now, i have some changes in life going on (new job + mono has not been a cake walk). i have some painful stuff with my mother right now. financial stress from the hospitalizations (this is a big stressor).

but, it was like, all of a sudden, one day....i could not think and i felt like i was in a tunnel...it was like panic attack time 5067209859285908430%

well, preceding that.....i had been crying all day....so, i was suspicious that something was about to happen. granted, i was crying over appropriate issues....but, i am learning that when i get weepy, it seems that is like the thunder before the storm (re: suicidal depression).

so, the crying. then i got home from work....that night. it just happened...i was so confused, and sweating and i felt like i was in a tunnel...and for the first time in my life, i had the strongest urge to cut. (i am not a cutter)...but, i kept thinking that would release pressure.

then, it was like a black cloud encased me and all i could think of was suicide and that i could not go thru this cycle again.

i got help. i am getting stabled out now....but, i have been having very vivid visual and auditory hallucinations.

i am just confused by what is happening.

i guess i am in a bipolar depression? i got a pretty good grasp on bipolar mania last year, since i kind of camped out there!

but, i thought that depression had to follow mania....i have not been manic recently. i have been quite steady.

can this severe episode be triggered by the life stressors i mentioned? is that why they call it bipolar disorder, because i/we don't respond "normally" to the stress of life????

thanks for feedback,
catching

#2 surgeon2006

surgeon2006

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,174 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 10:03 PM

CAB,

Sorry to hear you have had an extremely tough time lately...i dont know what to suggest or say.
Its going to take time to get back on your feet and adapt to what has happened. Sounds like a mix of bi-polar and what you have recently been through is making you have these thoughts/feelings.

See i dont know what to say but wanted to give you my regards...
SO6
Life is too short to wake up with regrets,
So love the people who treat you right.
Forget about the ones who don't.
Believe everything happens for a reason.
If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.
If it changes your life, let it.
Nobody said life would be easy....
they just promised itd be worth it.

#3 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,939 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 06:57 AM

Depression does not always follow a manic period. There are often times feelings of "normalcy" afterwards, especially when we have the right med combo on board. I think with your illness that the depression you may have is precipitated by it. Having to stay in bed with a physical illness is so much different than wanting to stay in bed because of depression. The former we have no control over as it is necessary to heal the body. The latter is something that is dictated to us by depression and we do have control over that.

I am glad to hear that you obtained help when you were suicidal or just having the thoughts. You took the necessary step to help yourself. Give yourself a pat on the back. I don't cut so I am unfamiliar with that pattern of thinking or of wanting to do any self abuse. I wouldn't know what to say about cutting other than try to tell you not to do so.

I hope that you are beginning to feel better and will keep us informed of your progress.
Sheepwoman :hearts:
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#4 Slipping into Darkness

Slipping into Darkness

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 07:46 AM

Bipolar depression can be triggered by life events. I'm sliding back down now after returning to work. We, by nature, don't have the best grasp on our emotions, and we can be very well medicated. The mono certainly didn't help. :bump:

I hope you feel better every day. :hearts:

#5 Catching-a-Breath

Catching-a-Breath

• PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 09:02 PM

hi yall,

thank you so much for your replies. this is rough.... :hearts:

friday night, was just plain scary....the visual and auditory hallucinations. i was not as suicidal as i had been thursday night, but i was upset and confused by what was happening.

saturday, things got better in that the hallucinations stopped. i stopped seeing the faces everywhere i looked. (yeah, i have gotten to where i can tell that they are not a positive indicator)....

i stayed with friends most of the weekend. but my energy level is really low. my heart feels like it is crying.
i am not crying---which is good...i was crying, last week, and that was a bad place.

right now, they increased my lexapro to 20 mg. i am guessing that my doctor will want to draw my lithium level this week.

i am just so completely confused by how i could just drop into depression like this. but, at the same time, i spiralled into mania last year....? maybe it is the same thing?

and, as yall read, i was just under a ton of pressure with the mono + new job (and then a few other things)....like, i kept thinking "i can't keep going"....so, maybe my mood broke?

it is embarrassing. there is a guy i was casually dating. he knew i am bipolar, but we had not talked at length (yet) about hallucinations, suicide, all that...i mean, the timing had not been appropriate, and i did not foresee depression on the horizon.

you can only imagine how freaked out he is, to have seen normal cute girl, turn into suicidal/hallucinating psychotic person that had to have all sharp objects locked out of reach or she would be committed to the psych h'tal.

needless to say, he never checked back up on me. which is fine, in the long run...but, for this very minute, my pride is hurt....i am like....well, you can imagine....but, when you drop to extreme mania or extreme depression, something in your brain stops working and you can't communicate so well.

oh well, i guess it gives him a funny story to tell his friends (ugh).

i am just trying so hard to believe that this crying in my heart is going to stop. and, then i am worried about the side effects of going up to 20 mg from 10 mg of lexapro....anyone had good experience w/ that?

thanks for your time,
Catching

#6 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

• 27,939 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 11:21 AM

The other side (depression) of BP can be the scariest part, especially after a period without mania. When we drop into that hole, we sometimes believe it will never go away. I don't think the increased dose of Lexapro will hurt you. However, if you begin to have side effects, contact your pdoc. He/she will know what to do. Testing your lithium level is not a bad idea, either. You may need a bit higher dose to maintain a therapeutic level in your system. I know that you had hallucinations in the past, you may want to ask your pdoc if there is anything that can be done to allieviate them. Remember, the depression will pass. You need to work at getting a positive attitude back.
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

#7 SchroedingersCat

SchroedingersCat

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 11:25 AM

You are certainly facing a lot of stressors right now, so it doesn't surprise me that you have slipped into depression. This kind of thing has happened to me so many times that I have lost count. There have been many times where I have gone to bed feeling fine and awakened to a serious depression. So, know that you are not alone.

I hope you feel better soon.
SC Posted Image

#8 Dooin' it

Dooin' it

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 12:20 PM

CAB,

Sorry to hear this hun!! I have FINALLY pulled out of it for the 4th time this year...........(2006 has NOT been good to me!)..........but not without some damage done!!! I am weathered, tattered & torn! I am soooo tired from the first half of this year. I hope I can stay good for the 2nd half so I can have some time of "wellness" for a while!! :hearts:

Anyway...........glad to hear the hallucinations are going away. I don't get hallucinations (visual or auditory) nor do I have cut issues, but I've certainly been to the point where you wonder how much longer you can tolerate it all. Fortunately, for you, it sounds as though you're STILL (even despite all you've been thru) able to think *around* this monster!! You are doing well in that regard!! Reading your post sounds like someone who (regardless of how bad you FELT) is definitely able to think thru/around/over/under this monster and self-talk intelligently!! That's great!!! You have earned a medal of honor that no one can take from you!! IMHO, that's HUGE!!! (Sure it sucks when we're "in the throws", but like I said, you're head & shoulders above it & able to think it out!)

Secondly............don't sweat the increased Lexapro!! In fact, I'm actually a bit surprised you're only on 10mg. (I guess I'm assuming you're on 10?) but whether you're on 10 or 15, doesn't matter. Go to the 20mg dosage...........you'll be glad you did!!

***IF*** you have any issues with increased side effects, please try to ride them out. If you're doing fine on 10mg, you'll be fine on 20mg even if it takes a little time to overcome any side effects. I'm on 30mg right now and literally have no side effects that I can speak of. It's just a matter of 'gettting there'. (I'd say I wasn't feeling any different within a week of going from 20mg to 30mg).

And remember........................YOU'RE GONNA GET BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bump:

Oh and P.S. about the boyfriend thing.............you don't want a guy who will freak out about this stuff anyway. You'll eventually find someone who *loves* you for who you are!! And then you will know the BEST kind of love!!! They'll know that depression isn't you, it's just a 'visitor' that cramps your life once in a while. The *real* you is the one they'll love and be able to see thru to no matter WHAT you're going thru!!!

:shocked:
Isaiah 54:17a "No weapon forged against you will succeed;"

I Peter 5: 6,7 "Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety upon Him for he cares for you."

Recommended reading........"Feeling Good; The New Mood Therapy" by Dr. David Burns

#9 KeepingAwake

KeepingAwake

• Platinum Member
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 12:38 PM

Aw CAB! :hearts:

I'm sorry it's been so difficult for you lately. I'm glad to hear though that your docs have a plan and that you were able to keep yourself safe.

As for the guy--I know it's much easier said than done, but try not to worry about it. I doubt he thought it was funny. It's more likely that he was frightened because he didn't know how to help you. In my experience, men have an even harder time than women do when they can't figure out how to be useful. He may not have contacted you because he is embarrassed that he basically ran away.

And you ARE a cute normal girl!! We've ALL got our challenges, even if others don't always share them with us.

Glad to hear from you.

KA
Beliefs Aren't Etched in Stone... Unless Your Brain is Made of Rock

#10 Catching-a-Breath

Catching-a-Breath

• PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 06:51 AM

hey everyone,

wow....your replies are all so kind and thoughtful. SC, i can't believe that you sometimes go to bed fine and then wake up in deep depression...but, i appreciate you sharing that with me because it sort of helped explained what happened to me.

dooin' it, your message is so encouraging. thank you. i appreciate the time you took to make it sound like i am still cognizant, at a time when i am doubting my own intelligibility.

KA, SW you both always offer such soothing, wise words.

Surg, and Slipping......thank you!

i am hanging in here....i will be glad to shake this thing.

Catching

#11 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

• 27,939 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 10:26 AM

Hang in there with both hands. We know that you will make it through this difficult time. I hope the increased dose of Lexapro will help turn that corner and you will feel better soon.
Sheepwoman

#12 SchroedingersCat

SchroedingersCat

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 11:59 AM

Yeah, CAB. Sometimes I tend to cycle very rapidly and it seems like that is getting worse as time goes by. Btw, I have auditory hallucinations almost constantly. Actually I hate the word hallucination because it implies that what I experience is not real when it is damned well real in my world. The medication I am taking now for it is the best one I have tried to this point, but I still hear the voices though it is nothing compared to what I experience off the meds. I kinda keep this to myself because I know I can't handle the side-effects of a larger dosage.
SC Posted Image

#13 Catching-a-Breath

Catching-a-Breath

• PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 12:07 PM

thanks yall....i need your encouragement right now....it means so much to me to read what you are writing. to know that you have been through this too...

i feel like i am still stumbling thru what it means to be bipolar. i don't like this part.

#14 Epic

Epic

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 12:11 PM

CAB,

I can relate all too well. I slipped backwards into a depression about 2-3 weeks ago I think it was, it has been especially nasty. I'm still not 100% but am feeling a lot better now...now I'm just mixed. I thought I'd never shake the depression but it always seems to get better when it does happen...here's to hoping you feel better soon. :hearts:

Edited by Epic, 18 July 2006 - 12:11 PM.

So understand
Dont waste your time always
Searching for those wasted years
Face up... make your stand
And realise youre living in the golden years.

#15 Catching-a-Breath

Catching-a-Breath

• PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 04:09 PM

CAB,

I can relate all too well. I slipped backwards into a depression about 2-3 weeks ago I think it was, it has been especially nasty. I'm still not 100% but am feeling a lot better now...now I'm just mixed. I thought I'd never shake the depression but it always seems to get better when it does happen...here's to hoping you feel better soon. :hearts:

hey epic, thanks for sharing...how did you get out? any tricks??

#16 KeepingAwake

KeepingAwake

• Platinum Member
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 05:12 PM

Same happened to me CAB. Seem to be back out of it now though.

I started trying to eat better, sleep more, get more exercise. I know that part of it for me is the no job business--you get more isolated unless you REALLY work at being social if you are not working. So I started REALLY working on that. Visiting people, vacations, out with the dog--whatever. So I am not sure which of those did the trick, but they all helped somewhat.

KA
Beliefs Aren't Etched in Stone... Unless Your Brain is Made of Rock

#17 Epic

Epic

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 07:53 PM

CAB,

I can relate all too well. I slipped backwards into a depression about 2-3 weeks ago I think it was, it has been especially nasty. I'm still not 100% but am feeling a lot better now...now I'm just mixed. I thought I'd never shake the depression but it always seems to get better when it does happen...here's to hoping you feel better soon. :bump:

hey epic, thanks for sharing...how did you get out? any tricks??

The Pdoc upped my meds some for one, I also tried to keep my mind occupied with positive thoughts which wasn't easy so I focused on how my grand parents used to be (they were so upbeat!) and tried to look at all the mess I was going through, through their eyes...that did help.

Exercise also helped as did reading which was possible since I was down (I read The Power of Positive Thinking for the zillionth time)...I made sure I layed down the same time every night and got up the same time every morning and I had a whole lot of support from friends here on DF which was critical I feel. I can't thank ((((Cat)))) :hearts: or SC enough and others for being here for me.

As corny as this may sound I watched a lot of comical things like Comedy Central standup stuff and listened to music that I identified with good times. Something my mother taught me before she passed away was, having a set routine is another fine way to cope with depression...more or less keeping a tight schedule.

I've been thinking about taking a Dale Carnegie course. I've heard they are great at making people's outlooks more positive. The grandparents I spoke of both had mental health issues and they both took the courses and it was like daylight and dark. Of course that's a personal choice...I do know if there was a place around here to take them I'd already have them under my belt.
So understand
Dont waste your time always
Searching for those wasted years
Face up... make your stand
And realise youre living in the golden years.

#18 butterfly

butterfly

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 08:38 PM

Iam so glad that you are getting stable right now and i hope the med increase helps :)
I also had a similar episode, where I slipped from the pressures of my life. I am really glad you are hanging in there! :hearts:
lots of love to ya,
BF
Oh Lord that you would bless me indeed
[indent=1]And enlarge my territory
That you would put your hand with me
[indent=1]And keep me from pain.

#19 Catching-a-Breath

Catching-a-Breath

• PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 11:02 AM

thank you butterfly.

thanks epic. the sleeping thing....i am having a hard time with that. i just want to sleep constantly. i work. but i want to sleep from the minute i get home at night until the very last minute possible in the morning.
i keep telling myself that i will wake up early, and i set my clock, but i just sleep thru it.

i am not having suicidal thoughts, but it is like there is nothing in me that wants to enjoy any part of life. the activity of living. i am tired. and i don't know how i am going to shake this. i am sorry, too, because i keep complaining....

thanks for listening.

#20 adorabelle

adorabelle

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 11:40 AM

hi catching a breath,

i know that all to well, that all of a sudden... the suicidal thoughts move in for awhile and just won't go away... i tell my bf and he usually tries his best not to leave me alone... sometimes i wonder if all this is being hard on him bc it's not (never) easy to deal w/ me... besides my bipolar i'm a huge dramaqueen... poor guy......

~adorabelle
:hearts:
I'm too positive to be doubtful, too optimistic to be fearful and way too determined to be defeated. 

goldenvelope1jr.gif

#21 cinnamona666

cinnamona666

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 01:16 PM

hi catching a breath,

i know that all to well, that all of a sudden... the suicidal thoughts move in for awhile and just won't go away... i tell my bf and he usually tries his best not to leave me alone... sometimes i wonder if all this is being hard on him bc it's not (never) easy to deal w/ me... besides my bipolar i'm a huge dramaqueen... poor guy......

~adorabelle
:hearts:

i get that too =(. i will just get sudden panicky urges that i have to die 'RIGHT NOW' and i feel like living will cause imminent explosion.. god its awful. luckily i havent gotten this for about a month.
nothing is forever; nothing stays the same
even if you desire it to

^_^

<3laura

i anti-endorse any advertising below my icon =P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users