Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Paxil Success Stories?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 depressedme

depressedme

ID: 5921

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 02:56 PM

Does anyone have a Paxil specific success story? Please include what syptoms you've had, dosage, and how it has helped you. (BTW, does anyone know how long Paxil has been on the market?)

Edited by depressedme, 15 July 2006 - 02:59 PM.

#2 ados

ados

Platinum Member

ID: 29

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,119 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 01:44 PM

I PM'd you with my detail, and I've posted in other threads here about my experiences with paxil.

I can only say that paxil worked very well for me. It was the most effective AD of all I've tried. However, I (stupidly) went off it a couple of times. My doctor says that sometimes when you go off an AD, you need a higher dose to be effective when returning to that med.

That was the case for me. At the higher dose, paxil worked well. It helped me survive my suicidal tendencies. So, it was a life-saver for me. However, after about a year at 80mg I began feeling like all of my feelings were numb. Since then, I've been on prozac. I can tell it doesn't work as well as paxil did, but I'm doing okay and I do feel once again.

Everyone is so different; all you can really do is give it a try.
Life is hard, but God is good.

Pam Thum

ados for Depression Forums Administration
Original DF join date: October 25, 2001 Posted Image

#3 mimimimi13

mimimimi13

ID: 20687

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 11:55 AM

anymore?

#4 Arwen36

Arwen36

ID: 23916

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 04:57 PM

anymore?

Hi, I am new here. I have been on Paxil for over 15 years, so I guess you could say I'm a veteran. :) I have seen the good, the bad and the ugly as far as Paxil goes.

Since you are just asking about the good, I'll tell you, Paxil has definitely helped me live my life successfully the last 15 years. Sometimes I have questioned whether or not I should have ever started an antidepressant, should have stayed on it as long as I have, etc., etc.. But as I read somewhere else on this board, having been on Paxil and off Paxil, I can honestly say my life is better when I am on it. I am just generally more even and stable.

I originally went on it for severe panic attacks and anxiety. My anxiety and PA's are still under good control, but the last few years, my depression has gotten worse due to many factors. My doc recently switched me to Paxil CR and upped the dose once. That seemed to help for a while, but I'm having a rough time again. I know I am super fortunate that one AD has worked for me all these years! They all seem to "poop out" eventually. I may need even a higher dose (I'm on 25mg of the CR) or maybe even something added to it. The hardest thing about Paxil, as I'm sure you know, is the withdrawal, so once you've had success on it, it's VERY hard to replace it with something else. My doc tried switching me very rapidly to Effexor (HUGE, HUGE mistake) and that just about killed me.

OK, now I am getting into some of the bad and the ugly and I said I wasn't going to do that! LOL. But honestly, I would have to count myself among the Paxil success stories and I am thankful for it. I am very tired right now, so I am sure I am leaving a lot out. Feel free to ask me any more questions you have about Paxil. Like I said, I feel I qualify as a "veteran" of Paxil even though I'm new to the boards! :)

Edited by Arwen36, 28 March 2008 - 05:00 PM.

There is always hope.

#5 tpman

tpman

ID: 24124

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 10:58 PM

Does anyone have a Paxil specific success story? Please include what syptoms you've had, dosage, and how it has helped you. (BTW, does anyone know how long Paxil has been on the market?)

3years on paxil and it has been a godsend. The only issue is the Sex Side Eddect, but the pro's till outweight the cons.
Anxiety/Depression was my problem. It has given me the confidence to do lead a very successful life.

Paxil helped me 60%, CBT therapy 30%.

I strongly recommend doing CBT, its great!

The two together can really improve you as a person and help rid you of this aweful illness

#6 tpman

tpman

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:58 AM

Mimi. I cannot PM you. but here is my response to your message

.Hi.
I certainly had good and bad days. The CBT helps you deal with the bad days, and eventually the bad days turn into good days.

Paxil only numbs the anxiety, its still there. I highly recommend you push for CBT asap. Make sure you get the best you can.

What are you being treated for?
Mine was social anxiety/depression

#7 mimimimi13

mimimimi13

ID: 20687

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 09:18 AM

hi i will definatley try for the cbt. this first week on paxil tho has made me anxious and lethargic. i have so much in my mind that i want to do but the anxiety and tiredness is getting to me.

how long have you been on the paxil? did it lift your mood?
thanks for replying x

#8 tpman

tpman

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 12:47 PM

hi i will definatley try for the cbt. this first week on paxil tho has made me anxious and lethargic. i have so much in my mind that i want to do but the anxiety and tiredness is getting to me.

thanks for replying x

I have been on paxil for 3 years. Had a couple of months off it which was a mess because I came off it too quick.
Paxil certainly did lift my mood. Initially it was up and down which caused me anxiety because I didn't know if it was working. CBT fixes this. You learn to identify triggers which set of your anxiety and how to deal with them, which in turn makes less depressed days. Paxil gave me the confidence to get on with my life, which in turn makes my mood better. So the longer your on it the better you generally get(for me anyway). But like I said, paxil alone is only half of it. Good CBT will really help you.

I look forward one day to trying life without it, but for now it is helping me live a great life!
Keep in regular contact with your doctors. If your worried it isnt working give it time. Otherwise try something new under your doctors advice.

More than happy to help you with anything else. I know what its like starting meds and treatment. I used to be online all the time researching everything about meds and mental illness(I only came here for advice on treating the sexual side effect of paxil)
. You will get to a stage where it doesn't rule your life anymore. Just work hard at getting the right treatment.

Whenever you have a bad day just see it for that. It always passess. My main issue was anxiety is that yours? I can share my story further with you if thats the case. PM me your email address if you wish

#9 Arwen36

Arwen36

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 09:16 PM

thanks for replying x

mimi,

The first week on any med is definitely the worst. When I first got on Paxil years ago, it didn't seem to affect me that much, probably because I was much younger and because I was stupidly consuming alot of alcohol at that time. :hearts: (Hey, I was a college student and really naive and stupid!) But this time around going back on it after trying to go off, the first week back on and then the week after raising the dose were REALLY tough. I almost gave up, but after hanging in there, I felt improvement.

My experience this time around has been much like tpman said. You will probably continue to have up and down days, and level out over time. I agree so much that CBT is an integral part of recovery and coping. I didn't use to think so, but I find that I need that help more and more. Unfortunately, my insurance will not pay for it, so I can only go to my therapist when I can afford it out of pocket. So probably not anywhere near as much as I need to! If you insurance will pay for it, and you can find a good therapist- go for it!

Hope you feel better soon. :flowers:
There is always hope.

#10 momto2

momto2

ID: 24278

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 01:38 PM

I'm hoping to have a Paxil success story!!!!!!!!!! . I am a mom of 2 kids aged 4 and 9 and am currently struggling with severe anxiety and some depression. My mom, who was also one of my best friends passed away almost 3 months ago.

My doc tried me on Cipralex 7 weeks ago, and reduced it from 10 mg to 5 mg after 1 week because of the extreme side effects I was having. I continued to have them for the next 6 weeks and finally my counsellor took me to the hospital because it obviously wasnt working. I have now been placed on Paxil (10 mg) along with Ativan as needed. It has been a week and have been feeling not quite so anxious, I did have a full blown attack last night and woke up quite anxious today.

I'm starting to feel quite nauseated in the morning, could this be because of the meds too? This is so frustrating!!!!!! Just when you think you are doing okay, a "blip" happens which feels more like a "drop"! I have to remind myself that it is the meds kicking in, not to overanalyze this.

I am a teacher who can't work right now because of this, and I always have someone home with me because I feel I won't be able to handle the "everyday kid life" when my husband is at work.
I just want to feel normal again, be happy, and enjoy life.........I feel it will come, but not soon enough for my liking!!!!!

Thanks for listening,
Momto2

#11 Arwen36

Arwen36

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:11 PM

Hi momto2,

I am a "mom to 2" too! :) Your situation sounds a lot like mine. I have 2 children, 4 and 8, and have suffered from severe anxiety and depression.

I was at that place too where I had to have someone with me all the time because I was doing so poorly. I have other health conditions as well (juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, fibromylagia) which complicate matters. A couple of years ago, I even had to have help from a caregiver day and night, because my meds got so messed up by various doctors, I think my body was in shock. But I just want to encourage you by saying that it WILL get better! I no longer have to have a family member or caregiver with me all the time, and I am even homeschooling my children! I still get worn out and have daily pain, and can't do as much as a "normal" Mom maybe could, but I am a million percent better than I was.

The nausea could definitely be from starting up meds. I get nauseus in the mornings as well. I really hope the Paxil works for you. Give it some time. I am glad your doctor is starting you on a low dose and giving you Ativan to help in the mean time.

God bless!
There is always hope.

#12 momto2

momto2

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 12:09 PM

Thanks so much for the encouragement. It is so much more valid when it comes from someone who has been there!!
God Bless!
momto2

#13 momto2

momto2

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 10:00 AM

I know it's only been 10 days on Paxil, but yesterday was my best yet! Yeah!! I needed to take an Adivan at 5 am because I was anxious about being alone with my kids for the first time since this all started a couple of weeks ago. I was fine! I didn't have any anxiousness during the days, the shakiness seems to be diminishing, same with the nausea....if only the waking at 4-5 am would stop. Oh well, maybe one day!!
Just wanted to report.......... I think it may be working! I had a plan all laid out of what to do with the kids, etc. and was able to just "go with the flow" for the day. Working with my therapist really helps alot too!
Take care all, have as great of a day as you possibly can!
momto2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users