Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Messy House

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#1 moiraine

moiraine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 08:28 AM

How many people feel unable to keep up with keeping their house clean? I just survey the cluttered rooms and throw my hands in the air. I know I need to do something about it, but the motivation is not there, nor the organisation needed. What really aggravates me is, I used to be spotless. I had a certain amount of pride and kept up things. Unfortunately that was pre-medication and since I've been on these pills I haven't had that nice burst of energy and purpose I used to have.. Does anyone else struggle with house- cleaning problems?
Posted Image
Posted Image Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmas-time. - Laura Ingalls Wilder

#2 Slipping into Darkness

Slipping into Darkness

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 10:30 AM

I struggle with this all the time, moiraine. I'm either so hyper I can't stop cleaning, or I just don't care. During the last two years, I've been mostly in the no-cleaning mode. With everything else I have to deal with, being tidy can push me over.

#3 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,841 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 11:11 AM

There is a thread inthe Water Cooler called "Messy House" that, I think, you will find great support for your housekeeping issues. I also have that lethargy with keeping house. When I'm manic, a lot of things get done. When depressed, nothing gets done until things around the house have piled up. In a way, when I cannot work on keeping the house clean, I think that the health inspector may show up suddenly and condemn my palce. Just that thought motivates me enough to do some cleaning..

If you think that your meds are keeping you from being motivated, talk to your pdoc about it. Maybe he/she can adjust your meds so that you can function better.
Sheepwoman :hearts:
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#4 moiraine

moiraine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 12:55 PM

Thanks for your comments, Slipping into Darkness and Sheepwoman. Do you know how validating it is to hear others are having these same problems same as me and when I get taken to task about it at least I am not alone. Most people (not just talking about my husband here) try to talk me into doing a little at a time, try to shame me into doing something, call me fat and lazy and so forth. Do they really think I do this on purpose. You guys make me feel better just by saying this is normal when in a depressed mood. Sheepwoman I will go look for the Messy House thread and see what everyone else has to say about it. I didn't do my homework in searching for a similar thread before posting one. I should have known I wasn't the only one,lol. I think I am in the depressed side of my bipolar because I never have "highs" anymore. A good day for me is when I get a sense of purpose, even if's just a day or two. That's when I can move forward a little..thanks again :hearts:
  • law055car likes this
Posted Image
Posted Image Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmas-time. - Laura Ingalls Wilder

#5 kdnic

kdnic

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 01:27 PM

How many people feel unable to keep up with keeping their house clean? I just survey the cluttered rooms and throw my hands in the air. I know I need to do something about it, but the motivation is not there, nor the organisation needed.

When I read your post it was like I had typed it myself. I live alone and don't have people come to my house because I don't have any friends or family that live closer than 2000 miles away. So that makes it even harder to get the motivation to clean. Sometimes I walk thru my apt and look around and just cry. It makes me angry that my house is a pig stye but do I do anything about it? NOOOOOOOO

I am going to go find that other thread too...But I just wanted to let you know you are not alone in this.

hugs
kdnic

#6 Merlin

Merlin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 08:05 PM

The other thread is great but I just wanted to add that I too am messy and can't seem to get on top of it. My house is full of piles of books and papers and general clutter. I have a room that I use for painting and I can't even get to my drawing board!

So, no, you are definitely not alone!
J.P.Richardson

#7 surgeon2006

surgeon2006

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,174 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 11:13 PM

Moiraine,

Ive struggeled with house work in the past...one month i have no motivation to do it and other months i obsess over it...thank goodness i have found a balance now!

Sometimes you have to make yourself do things...but ive found cleaning different rooms on different days,for one it doesnt seem like such a mammoth job but on the other habd gives you something to achieve each day and its good to look at what you have done once its finished...gives a great sense of satisfaction.

Hang in there
SO6
Life is too short to wake up with regrets,
So love the people who treat you right.
Forget about the ones who don't.
Believe everything happens for a reason.
If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.
If it changes your life, let it.
Nobody said life would be easy....
they just promised itd be worth it.

#8 Alisa

Alisa

• PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 04:35 AM

I am a very messy person, i am only 15 so i still live with my parents but its so hard for me to live in a messy space! I'm constantly thinking of ways i can organize things, searching the internet on organizing tips but i never ever have the motivation to do so. I don't know where to start.

On the other hand if some of my friends come over i am constantly cleaning, I admire tidy, clean, people
josh & alisa
12.18.05 <3

#9 moiraine

moiraine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 06:29 PM

Thank you Kdnic, Merlin, Surgeon and Alisa,
I feel real comfortable in my mess now, :hearts: Thanks guys for all your input. This is what makes these forums great: we all think we are alone in what ever we do that's different from the run-of-the-mill. If we post it, just look at all the people coming to say we are not alone! The support here is just amazing, esp. when other people just bring us down for these same things

This is what I try when there is no motivation at all: In the space that it takes for the kettle to boil for tea, or the coffee maker to make coffee, I tell myself I'll do what ever I can in this few minutes. Sometimes, all I do is puck Sunday's paper off the floor where it's scattered all over the place... :bump:
Posted Image

#10 lbigirl

lbigirl

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 10:27 PM

Hi All,
I have struggled with the ol messy house syndrome since I first got my own place. After I had kids it became unbearable to keep up with the mess and I never realized what the cause was until I finally went for treatment for severe depression\!!!\

I like to pop into the bipolar forums because my "significant other" is bp. I have to laugh because sometimes he is running around the house, doing laundry, cleaning house, cleaning his home office until 3Am and sometimes it is the most incredible pig sty and he is sleeping till noon every day.....And I finally understand all of it!
I find it an overwhelming task to keep my house clean. My room is a trail of clothes taken off, shoes, mail, etc....luckily I have a teenage daughter who is a clean freak ( she jokingly says she has ocd but frighteningly it might not be far from the truth) who is constantly cleaning up after me and the other kids! I tell her, keep my door closed and keep the rest of it neat if you feel better. I have 2 rooms that I promised I would finish painting for my son 6 months ago, still 2 walls painted in each...
does this sound familiar????
Here's what I finally decided with the help of my shrink. Do what you can. The people who really care about you will not judge you on how clean your house is (except I do know sometimes you get disgusted and have to do it for yourself and that's great!!!) :hearts:

#11 lbigirl

lbigirl

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 10:31 PM

One more thing! Moiraine -- I know what you mean about doing what you can while the kettle boils, etc...
My goal for this week is to hang up one piece of clothing (which I have alot of, when I get depressed, I shop) every time I walk into my room. It's working so far--they are almost all in my closet! :hearts:

#12 moiraine

moiraine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 05:49 PM

Hi everybody,
When my daughter moved out I had her room as a spare when relatives come to visit. It used to look nice. Now, there are so many clear bags with clean laundry in them I can't even walk thru (it is a very small bedroom). The bed is full too. You see, I have to go to the laundromat to do my wash. I generally come in with 2 clear bags full of laundry, and instead of packing things away, I just sit them down in the spare room until "later". Yeah, right. I just go in there to get clothes and work uniforms I need, underwear, towels.... :hearts: ..I just wanted taz dancing on my reply, hehehe
Posted Image

#13 sunflower75

sunflower75

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 12:22 AM

Oh my God!! I love this thread. I live at home with my parents right now, but our house is a big 'ol Victorian, and is therefore a lot of work to clean. I, like many others on here, sometimes take small steps to keep tidy, but occassionally, I just don't feel like it, and I've learned to tell myself that's o.k, unless company's coming or there's more dust bunnies than people, then I'll break down and clean. I'm glad taht I don't worry myself over cleaning anymore, there's a million other things to worry about.

#14 Merlin

Merlin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 07:28 AM

Hi Moirane, I know the feeling. The bed in my spare room is covered with clean laundry waiting to be ironed and put away - it's been there for months - no years!
J.P.Richardson

#15 Stickysen

Stickysen

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 03:59 AM

How many people feel unable to keep up with keeping their house clean? I just survey the cluttered rooms and throw my hands in the air. I know I need to do something about it, but the motivation is not there, nor the organisation needed.

I am just wondering why I always think or feel I am the only one struggling with this. It is really helpful to read all the replies to your post Moiraine, though my head keeps saying I should try do more. I tend to drop things on the floor, rather than walking back with a plate to the kitchen I will put it down on the floor. Then when I do it the next morning, there is 3 plates standing there.

I live together with my boyfriend who is really understanding and certainly doesn't expect me to housework on my own. But he is a freelancer for work and ussually away from home 3-4 days a week. So then I'm on my own and when he gets back the kitche is ussually an awful mess and everything needs doing :(

If things were organised and a bit cleaner I know it would make me feel better, but after work (struggling to keep going to work) I just don't have energy to do anything else. I don't cook, I just lay on bed or watch tv. :(

Thank you!

Edited by Stickysen, 30 July 2006 - 04:06 AM.

#16 damonlabrador

damonlabrador

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:17 AM

OMG! I can't get motivated no matter what. My granddaughter can't come visit, her mom says my house is too messy. Yes, there is dog hair around, but that's not the problem. I just can't get a grip. I bought new sheets for my bed a month ago and can't remember where I put them! Too bad we can't all get together and go from house to house for cleaning parties. It goes so much faster with company. I won't let anyone in my house now. My mom is coming in Oct, so I have to have it done by then, plus I need to sell my house soon because now that I am on social security (can't work anymore) I cannot afford to stay here. What a chore that will be.
"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it." Anonymous
In loving memory of Damon Erik... 1978-1998

#17 moonlightress

moonlightress

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:24 AM

"Cleaning the house while kids are growing, is like shovelling snow, while it's still snowing."

#18 Trace

Trace

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 52,085 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 08:07 AM

"Cleaning the house while kids are growing, is like shovelling snow, while it's still snowing."

Haha :hearts: that is so true and I can't stand mess, so I am constantly cleaning, but I get nowhere. It stays clean for all of.....uummmmm 2 minutes if I am lucky.
As I am cleaning one part, one little one sneaks and dumps half the sand pit on the carpet and the other one has found toothpaste that makes great art work on the walls. Never mind all the food that gets dropped on the carpets. :flowers:
Listen in deep silence. Be very still and open your mind.... Sink deep into the peace that waits for you beyond the frantic, riotous thoughts and sights and sounds of this insane world. - A course of miracles.

True beauty must come, must be grown, from within.... - Ralph W Trine.

Posted Image

#19 livingwithBPD

livingwithBPD

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:58 PM

We have done heaps today and only got two rooms done and that spare room and bathroom plus vaccumming and mopping. I must be maniac today because I'm going to the library as well.

#20 Rosegirl

Rosegirl

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 05:03 AM

Dear friends! :flowers:

So good to see that you are concerned about messy houses. So am I. I have posted a thread called Do You Have Problems Doing House-work? in the DEPRESSION CENTRAL. If you are interested you can read it there (its a little explanation about how to follow a program to get the house-work done in small steps). Hope to see you at the Messy House thread in the the DF water cooler with or without the program.

Rosegirl :hearts:
The things that we pray for, good Lord,
give us your grace to work for.

A prayer of St Thomas More
Posted Image

#21 cathy lynn

cathy lynn

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 01:23 PM

I have such a problem cleaning house when im depressed which is always im afraid i will lose my boyfriend my house has no clutter and i keep things picked up but i cant keep up with the deep cleaning i hate it going to the doc next week for new meds hope this helps im also getting a new doc yay!
everyday is pain, shame and misery

#22 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,841 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 04:22 PM

There is a Messy House thread in the Watercooler.

Sheepwoman
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users