Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Viviane

Best time of day to take Cymbalta

70 posts in this topic

Posted

Please let me know the best time YOU have found to take this medication - I know we are all different

Please can you also comment on why you find it the best time to take the medication when you do

Thank you

I should be starting this med today at 30mg and then up to 60mg - my doctor said I can go to the higher dose as soon as I feel ready to do so depending on side effect etc but she does want me on the 60mg dose

You might also be interested in:

Posted

I really can't answer this question.

I was told to take it in the morning. I found I was completely exhausted when I got up in the morning. Rather than play with the time for the 60 mg., Barry changed me back to the 30 mg. but taking it 2x a day - said to take the later dose around 6 pm. That has helped alot. Other meds that I've taken, have worked better for me if I take them in the evening. I may ask him about going back to the 60 mg. at night. (Because of the cost of the pills - not because I think that it would be better.) I know Lizard has had problems with the exhaustion, you might want to check with her as to when she takes her pills.

Posted

Thank you

I think for the dose I take today I might just take it shortly its 2pm here in the UK just so I can see if it makes me drowsy or nauseous - either of which and I am most likely best off taking it at night

I only have the 30mg to take for the next few days - then I can up the dose to 60 as and when I feel ready - so I can do the split dose thing if I need to

off to get a glass of water - BUT it will still be interested in what others do/think

Posted (edited)

It's a 'time released' med, so taking it as early in the morning works well, with 60mg. dose.

I tried to take it at night, like the Lexparo, thinking it would help me stay asleep. Well, I was up to 2am waiting for the effects to wear off. Not good, as I was working at the point in time and had to drag myself in there.

Anyhow, I think it may be wise to take it at the opposite time you took your lexparo. I know this is a personal thing with the person who takes it. If you have some reading material, you may want to get it out and experiment on your own, or plan on staying up and seeing who's on the blog, oif it doesn't put you to sleep.

I also did the 30mg, twice a day for a month to get it in my system, but I can't remember why, it was almost two years, ago..... Maybe I found it too strong a dose or something. Old timers setting in, lol!!

Good Luck and please let us know how it goes for you. The more info we post in this rooom, the better!!

Jackie :hearts:

Edited by Jkm

Posted

I take mine first thing in the morning. I have heard of others splitting the 30 in the am and the pm. I think that would help stop the afternoon crash. Actually, this go round on cymbalta I haven't been having the afternoon crash like before. I would be curious to how it would work splitting it up.

Posted

If cymbalta makes me a little shaky a few hours after taking it, do you think it would be better to take at night? It's a nervous energy feeling, so I'm afraid I would be up all night.

Posted

I did split the dose when I first started on the 60 but I changed to taking it all in the morning as I was finding the dose at bedtime was affecting my sleep - like I wasnt getting any :)

Posted

I did the 30mg. in the am and 30mg in the pm for a month or two, if I remember correctly. I know my doc questioned this, but I told her that I felt better this way. I know the 30mg. pills were more expensive, too.

It was a couple of years ago...........

Posted

Thanks, Jackie. I'm sleeping pretty well at night when I take my cymbalta first thing in the morning, so I hate to mess a good thing up. I'm hoping that nervous energy will go away with time. Actually, I found this morning, after I took it, I put the energy to good use by cleaning the house, and I'm doing pretty good! So, once I go back to work, I might not notice it as bad!

It doesn't seem like very many people take cymbalta. There is not much information or support for it out there. I guess it's still kinda new...I wish more people would post that take it. :hearts:

Posted

I have only taken it first thing in the morning when I take all my other pills,

otherwise I would forget to take it if it was at any other time.

I don't really have a fixed schedule, being unemployed.

I set my alarm for 9am to take my pills, and then go back to bed if necessary.

Recently I have been unable to get back to sleep because of the noise in my head.

I think I will go mad if it doesn't go because of the lack of sleep.

Posted

If you're referring to the buzzing or hissing you described earlier, do you think you could drowned it out with the television or a radio? I do if it's really bothersome, but I've had this before Cymbalta, and it could be the result of either high blood pressure or other meds.......

Jackie

Posted

If you're referring to the buzzing or hissing you described earlier, do you think you could drowned it out with the television or a radio? I do if it's really bothersome, but I've had this before Cymbalta, and it could be the result of either high blood pressure or other meds.......

Jackie

I think my blood pressure is ok, it's 115 over 70 the last time I saw my doctor.

It has come down a lot since I stopped drinking (abusing) alcohol.

I think I'll go and see him tomorrow, as I am having a really bad day today,

I didn't get out of bed until noon and have had to have a nap this afternoon.

I can't be bothered to do anything, not even eat or have a wash. :hearts:

Posted

I feeling a bit better now, I've had some dinner.

I was thinking about the 'half life' of cymbalta, I saw somewhere that it is 10 to 15 hours.

Which means half of the dose you take gets used up in that time, so by the time you take

the next dose there is still half of yesterdays left in your body. I think that is why it takes

a couple of weeks to start working properly. i.e. so that it builds up to a sustainable level

and is maintained by the daily dose, so the amount in your body goes between two levels

and not from zero when the day's dose has been used up in the previous 24 hours.

That's my theory, it's what I think from the little that I know and may not even be correct.

Is there anybody reading this who knows about this and can explain how the drug is used up?

Posted (edited)

I feeling a bit better now, I've had some dinner.

I was thinking about the 'half life' of cymbalta, I saw somewhere that it is 10 to 15 hours.

Which means half of the dose you take gets used up in that time, so by the time you take

the next dose there is still half of yesterdays left in your body. I think that is why it takes

a couple of weeks to start working properly. i.e. so that it builds up to a sustainable level

and is maintained by the daily dose, so the amount in your body goes between two levels

and not from zero when the day's dose has been used up in the previous 24 hours.

That's my theory, it's what I think from the little that I know and may not even be correct.

Is there anybody reading this who knows about this and can explain how the drug is used up?

Have you went to the Cymbalta website? :P: it explains a little about it. OH yeah look under the lady that says "are you currently taking Cymbalta" look for the link too "Prescribing Information" That should tell you more about it if you haven't already been to it.

Edited by KeepingAwake

Posted

I don't know whether this is just an SSRI effect, and I've always had noise in my ears, as long as I can remember, but the noise increased for me on both Paxil and Cymbalta. I can imagine how much worse it would be for someone who wasn't experiencing it before, but take my word for it, you adapt after a while. I would always >use< it to help me sleep by concentrating on it as if it were white noise - you might want to give that a try, if you can.

Posted

I always read in bed, and it helps me relax enough to go to sleep. Maybe doing something to take your mind off the noise would help......

It's a good med, so don't give up, yet!!

Posted

I've had a look at the cymbalta.com website, I was looking at duloxetine.co.uk before, but it isn't very informative or easy to use.

I have concentration problems when I read something long, my mind just comes to a point where I cannot take in any more information and the page just goes sort of blurry.

I'm having a better day today, I was going to see my doctor as I was having a really bad day yesterday.

I am seeing him on Friday the 13th!!! to check on how I am doing.

If I have another really bad day I think I will make an emergency appointment.

Thanks for all your support, it makes me feel better that there is somebody else out there who knows what it's all about.

I've tried explaining to my Mum before about what it was like to be an alcoholic, but 'normal people' just don't get it. I've been sober for over 18 months now. That's probably the only thing I feel good about now.

I've got a home made beef curry simmering away, it'll be ready in about 2 hours as I am using stewing beef which takes ages to cook.

Eating something nice always cheers me up. :hearts:

Posted

Glad to hear that you are feeling a bit better. I agree that it's great to eat good food, and I try to do it just about every day. I like to cook, too and did lots of baking in my early depressed days when my concentration was a mess. It passes, so try not to worry so about the symptoms. Soon, we're counting on your feeling better!!!

Posted

I'm finding that after three weeks on Cymbalta, I'm feeling much more casual about the side effects, and the sleep is not quite as disturbed (although still not perfect). MiB, congrats on kicking the alcohol. I think Cymbalta's helping me with that, too - I'd had to stop because I was taking an antifungal medication, but before Cymbalta, I was really looking forward to that first six pack. I'm feeling so good about myself right now that the idea of never drinking again doesn't faze me in the slightest. Keep it up!

Posted

I'm glad you're happy.

MiB, I went back to the pdoc yesterday, and mentioned the sleep disturbances, the sound in the ears, and occasional pressure in my temples (don't know if you're having that) and he said to me that the drug is still "loading" into my system, and to give it a full six weeks. He is on it himself and has 300 patients on it as well, and has said that from that experience, he's confident that these problems will resolve themselves as the drug reaches its balance in your system.

Posted (edited)

It has started going away already, I managed to get a reasonable amount of sleep

last night, I was up a couple of times to go to the toilet, but that was due to me

drinking too much tea before I went to bed.

Edited by Made_in_Britain

Posted

My doctor has recommended that I come off the cymbalta because of the nightmares

and has put me on venlafaxine (effexor), so I shall be moving rooms!

Thanks for all your help in here and see you in the other rooms, DF water cooler etc.

Byeeeeee!!!

Posted

Please let me know the best time YOU have found to take this medication - I know we are all different

Please can you also comment on why you find it the best time to take the medication when you do

Thank you

I should be starting this med today at 30mg and then up to 60mg - my doctor said I can go to the higher dose as soon as I feel ready to do so depending on side effect etc but she does want me on the 60mg dose

I really have no idea what time to take this medication. I'm taking 60 mg and have been on Cymbalta since September 10. I don't think it's helpe me with my depression but the p-doc wants me to continue taking it, which I will do, at least until I see him again at the end of the month. I wish I knew what time of day to take this. If I take it in the morning I feel exhausted in the afternoon. If I take it in the evening, I have trouble sleeping (even with prescription sleeping pills). This forum has been no help.

Posted

Most people take it in the morning, Jason. Sorry about your not finding anything to help you.

Posted

Thank you

I really have no idea what time to take this medication. I'm taking 60 mg and have been on Cymbalta since September 10. I don't think it's helpe me with my depression but the p-doc wants me to continue taking it, which I will do, at least until I see him again at the end of the month. I wish I knew what time of day to take this. If I take it in the morning I feel exhausted in the afternoon. If I take it in the evening, I have trouble sleeping (even with prescription sleeping pills). This forum has been no help.

I'm offended by you saying this forum is no help.