Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Best time of day to take Cymbalta

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 Viviane

Viviane

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 04:54 AM

Please let me know the best time YOU have found to take this medication - I know we are all different
Please can you also comment on why you find it the best time to take the medication when you do

Thank you
I should be starting this med today at 30mg and then up to 60mg - my doctor said I can go to the higher dose as soon as I feel ready to do so depending on side effect etc but she does want me on the 60mg dose

#2 taffycat

taffycat

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 07:31 AM

I really can't answer this question.

I was told to take it in the morning. I found I was completely exhausted when I got up in the morning. Rather than play with the time for the 60 mg., Barry changed me back to the 30 mg. but taking it 2x a day - said to take the later dose around 6 pm. That has helped alot. Other meds that I've taken, have worked better for me if I take them in the evening. I may ask him about going back to the 60 mg. at night. (Because of the cost of the pills - not because I think that it would be better.) I know Lizard has had problems with the exhaustion, you might want to check with her as to when she takes her pills.
...in a time lacking in truth and certainty and filled with anguish and despair, no woman should be shamefaced in attempting to give back to the world, through her work, a portion of its lost heart.
-Louise Bogan

Posted Image

#3 Viviane

Viviane

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 07:57 AM

Thank you
I think for the dose I take today I might just take it shortly its 2pm here in the UK just so I can see if it makes me drowsy or nauseous - either of which and I am most likely best off taking it at night

I only have the 30mg to take for the next few days - then I can up the dose to 60 as and when I feel ready - so I can do the split dose thing if I need to

off to get a glass of water - BUT it will still be interested in what others do/think

#4 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 08:54 AM

It's a 'time released' med, so taking it as early in the morning works well, with 60mg. dose.

I tried to take it at night, like the Lexparo, thinking it would help me stay asleep. Well, I was up to 2am waiting for the effects to wear off. Not good, as I was working at the point in time and had to drag myself in there.

Anyhow, I think it may be wise to take it at the opposite time you took your lexparo. I know this is a personal thing with the person who takes it. If you have some reading material, you may want to get it out and experiment on your own, or plan on staying up and seeing who's on the blog, oif it doesn't put you to sleep.

I also did the 30mg, twice a day for a month to get it in my system, but I can't remember why, it was almost two years, ago..... Maybe I found it too strong a dose or something. Old timers setting in, lol!!

Good Luck and please let us know how it goes for you. The more info we post in this rooom, the better!!

Jackie :hearts:

Edited by Jkm, 15 July 2006 - 08:58 AM.

Posted Image

I have GAD. I worry about everything, lol!

#5 americandancer

americandancer

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 09:29 AM

I take mine first thing in the morning. I have heard of others splitting the 30 in the am and the pm. I think that would help stop the afternoon crash. Actually, this go round on cymbalta I haven't been having the afternoon crash like before. I would be curious to how it would work splitting it up.

#6 americandancer

americandancer

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 11:17 AM

If cymbalta makes me a little shaky a few hours after taking it, do you think it would be better to take at night? It's a nervous energy feeling, so I'm afraid I would be up all night.

#7 Viviane

Viviane

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 11:30 AM

I did split the dose when I first started on the 60 but I changed to taking it all in the morning as I was finding the dose at bedtime was affecting my sleep - like I wasnt getting any :)

#8 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 10:56 AM

I did the 30mg. in the am and 30mg in the pm for a month or two, if I remember correctly. I know my doc questioned this, but I told her that I felt better this way. I know the 30mg. pills were more expensive, too.

It was a couple of years ago...........

Posted Image

#9 americandancer

americandancer

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 12:43 PM

Thanks, Jackie. I'm sleeping pretty well at night when I take my cymbalta first thing in the morning, so I hate to mess a good thing up. I'm hoping that nervous energy will go away with time. Actually, I found this morning, after I took it, I put the energy to good use by cleaning the house, and I'm doing pretty good! So, once I go back to work, I might not notice it as bad!
It doesn't seem like very many people take cymbalta. There is not much information or support for it out there. I guess it's still kinda new...I wish more people would post that take it. :hearts:

#10 Made_in_Britain

Made_in_Britain

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 07:21 AM

I have only taken it first thing in the morning when I take all my other pills,
otherwise I would forget to take it if it was at any other time.

I don't really have a fixed schedule, being unemployed.
I set my alarm for 9am to take my pills, and then go back to bed if necessary.
Recently I have been unable to get back to sleep because of the noise in my head.
I think I will go mad if it doesn't go because of the lack of sleep.
Posted Image

#11 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 09:24 AM

If you're referring to the buzzing or hissing you described earlier, do you think you could drowned it out with the television or a radio? I do if it's really bothersome, but I've had this before Cymbalta, and it could be the result of either high blood pressure or other meds.......

Jackie
Posted Image

#12 Made_in_Britain

Made_in_Britain

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 12:07 PM

If you're referring to the buzzing or hissing you described earlier, do you think you could drowned it out with the television or a radio? I do if it's really bothersome, but I've had this before Cymbalta, and it could be the result of either high blood pressure or other meds.......

Jackie

I think my blood pressure is ok, it's 115 over 70 the last time I saw my doctor.
It has come down a lot since I stopped drinking (abusing) alcohol.
I think I'll go and see him tomorrow, as I am having a really bad day today,
I didn't get out of bed until noon and have had to have a nap this afternoon.
I can't be bothered to do anything, not even eat or have a wash. :hearts:
Posted Image

#13 Made_in_Britain

Made_in_Britain

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 05:38 PM

I feeling a bit better now, I've had some dinner.

I was thinking about the 'half life' of cymbalta, I saw somewhere that it is 10 to 15 hours.
Which means half of the dose you take gets used up in that time, so by the time you take
the next dose there is still half of yesterdays left in your body. I think that is why it takes
a couple of weeks to start working properly. i.e. so that it builds up to a sustainable level
and is maintained by the daily dose, so the amount in your body goes between two levels
and not from zero when the day's dose has been used up in the previous 24 hours.

That's my theory, it's what I think from the little that I know and may not even be correct.

Is there anybody reading this who knows about this and can explain how the drug is used up?
Posted Image

#14 aberCoreyfitch

aberCoreyfitch

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 03:18 AM

I feeling a bit better now, I've had some dinner.

I was thinking about the 'half life' of cymbalta, I saw somewhere that it is 10 to 15 hours.
Which means half of the dose you take gets used up in that time, so by the time you take
the next dose there is still half of yesterdays left in your body. I think that is why it takes
a couple of weeks to start working properly. i.e. so that it builds up to a sustainable level
and is maintained by the daily dose, so the amount in your body goes between two levels
and not from zero when the day's dose has been used up in the previous 24 hours.

That's my theory, it's what I think from the little that I know and may not even be correct.

Is there anybody reading this who knows about this and can explain how the drug is used up?

Have you went to the Cymbalta website? :P: it explains a little about it. OH yeah look under the lady that says "are you currently taking Cymbalta" look for the link too "Prescribing Information" That should tell you more about it if you haven't already been to it.

Edited by KeepingAwake, 03 October 2006 - 09:39 AM.

Corey, I"m 26 years old; Atlanta, GA now.. I'm happy :)

#15 Faylen

Faylen

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 04:54 AM

I don't know whether this is just an SSRI effect, and I've always had noise in my ears, as long as I can remember, but the noise increased for me on both Paxil and Cymbalta. I can imagine how much worse it would be for someone who wasn't experiencing it before, but take my word for it, you adapt after a while. I would always >use< it to help me sleep by concentrating on it as if it were white noise - you might want to give that a try, if you can.

#16 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 07:23 AM

I always read in bed, and it helps me relax enough to go to sleep. Maybe doing something to take your mind off the noise would help......

It's a good med, so don't give up, yet!!

Posted Image

#17 Made_in_Britain

Made_in_Britain

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 11:49 AM

I've had a look at the cymbalta.com website, I was looking at duloxetine.co.uk before, but it isn't very informative or easy to use.
I have concentration problems when I read something long, my mind just comes to a point where I cannot take in any more information and the page just goes sort of blurry.
I'm having a better day today, I was going to see my doctor as I was having a really bad day yesterday.
I am seeing him on Friday the 13th!!! to check on how I am doing.
If I have another really bad day I think I will make an emergency appointment.

Thanks for all your support, it makes me feel better that there is somebody else out there who knows what it's all about.

I've tried explaining to my Mum before about what it was like to be an alcoholic, but 'normal people' just don't get it. I've been sober for over 18 months now. That's probably the only thing I feel good about now.

I've got a home made beef curry simmering away, it'll be ready in about 2 hours as I am using stewing beef which takes ages to cook.
Eating something nice always cheers me up. :hearts:
Posted Image

#18 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 10:07 PM

Glad to hear that you are feeling a bit better. I agree that it's great to eat good food, and I try to do it just about every day. I like to cook, too and did lots of baking in my early depressed days when my concentration was a mess. It passes, so try not to worry so about the symptoms. Soon, we're counting on your feeling better!!!

Posted Image

#19 Faylen

Faylen

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:43 AM

I'm finding that after three weeks on Cymbalta, I'm feeling much more casual about the side effects, and the sleep is not quite as disturbed (although still not perfect). MiB, congrats on kicking the alcohol. I think Cymbalta's helping me with that, too - I'd had to stop because I was taking an antifungal medication, but before Cymbalta, I was really looking forward to that first six pack. I'm feeling so good about myself right now that the idea of never drinking again doesn't faze me in the slightest. Keep it up!

#20 Faylen

Faylen

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 10:34 AM

I'm glad you're happy.

MiB, I went back to the pdoc yesterday, and mentioned the sleep disturbances, the sound in the ears, and occasional pressure in my temples (don't know if you're having that) and he said to me that the drug is still "loading" into my system, and to give it a full six weeks. He is on it himself and has 300 patients on it as well, and has said that from that experience, he's confident that these problems will resolve themselves as the drug reaches its balance in your system.

#21 Made_in_Britain

Made_in_Britain

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 01:13 PM

It has started going away already, I managed to get a reasonable amount of sleep
last night, I was up a couple of times to go to the toilet, but that was due to me
drinking too much tea before I went to bed.

Edited by Made_in_Britain, 06 October 2006 - 05:40 AM.

Posted Image

#22 Made_in_Britain

Made_in_Britain

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 03:37 AM

My doctor has recommended that I come off the cymbalta because of the nightmares
and has put me on venlafaxine (effexor), so I shall be moving rooms!

Thanks for all your help in here and see you in the other rooms, DF water cooler etc.

Byeeeeee!!!
Posted Image

#23 jasonmich

jasonmich

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:17 PM

Please let me know the best time YOU have found to take this medication - I know we are all different
Please can you also comment on why you find it the best time to take the medication when you do

Thank you
I should be starting this med today at 30mg and then up to 60mg - my doctor said I can go to the higher dose as soon as I feel ready to do so depending on side effect etc but she does want me on the 60mg dose

I really have no idea what time to take this medication. I'm taking 60 mg and have been on Cymbalta since September 10. I don't think it's helpe me with my depression but the p-doc wants me to continue taking it, which I will do, at least until I see him again at the end of the month. I wish I knew what time of day to take this. If I take it in the morning I feel exhausted in the afternoon. If I take it in the evening, I have trouble sleeping (even with prescription sleeping pills). This forum has been no help.

#24 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 08:20 AM

Most people take it in the morning, Jason. Sorry about your not finding anything to help you.
Posted Image

#25 aberCoreyfitch

aberCoreyfitch

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 01:59 PM

Thank you

I really have no idea what time to take this medication. I'm taking 60 mg and have been on Cymbalta since September 10. I don't think it's helpe me with my depression but the p-doc wants me to continue taking it, which I will do, at least until I see him again at the end of the month. I wish I knew what time of day to take this. If I take it in the morning I feel exhausted in the afternoon. If I take it in the evening, I have trouble sleeping (even with prescription sleeping pills). This forum has been no help.

I'm offended by you saying this forum is no help.

#26 taffycat

taffycat

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 02:11 PM

Thank you

ACF - We aren't professionals, any of us, and so we don't always have the answers to peoples' questions, and so can't help everyone. Please don't be offended. If the forum has been helpful for you, that's what matters.
...in a time lacking in truth and certainty and filled with anguish and despair, no woman should be shamefaced in attempting to give back to the world, through her work, a portion of its lost heart.
-Louise Bogan

Posted Image

#27 aberCoreyfitch

aberCoreyfitch

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 04:14 PM

Thank you

ACF - We aren't professionals, any of us, and so we don't always have the answers to peoples' questions, and so can't help everyone. Please don't be offended. If the forum has been helpful for you, that's what matters.

Okay, I'm sorry, you are very right. I shouldn't be offended. Yes, this forum is great, it's best.. it's nice to read and share experiences with each other. :hearts:

#28 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 09:16 PM

My experience was starting at 30mg. and taking it at night. I usually always took my ad's at night, and docs will sometimes say to take meds at 6pm. Well, it was fine until I went to 60mg., in about a week, and I was awake after a couple of hours of sleep and had to go to work like that; Not Good.

I started taking it in the morning and I felt much better. I had been on Lexparo prior to this and went onto cymbalta and went to 60mg. in a week. It was a real fast titer as my doc said the meds were similar. I felt sicker than a dog for about a week and used otc antacids to counterace this effect. After that week, I went to 60mg. and the side effect stopped. Generally this is reported as a side effect for most, along with dry mouth. After 2 years, I'm still sipping water, and some comment that the meds seems to work better if you drink lots of liquids.

Now, for the sleep problem. When you first start any med, one can usually experience a whole range of side effects and not being able to sleep or even not being able to stay awake for very long are 'start up effects'... Usually this resolves itsself in time. If it continues and you are taking cymbalta in the morning, I'd tell the doctor. Cymbalta is time released. You can't really open the pills as they burn the inside of your mouth. I know this from personal experience. Tastes yucky, too.

If you're thinking that you take a couple of pill, and everything is going to be fine, I want to tell you that ad's don't work that way. It takes a steady dose for about 6 to 8 weeks, just to get the mood lifting effect. You'll start to feel better after the first two weeks, but you will usually feel much better in 8 weeks. I think this is one of the biggest problems with ad's. They take so long before you start really feeling better. People usually stay on meds for about a year until the come off, if they want to see if their depression has resolved. My person experience is that I depressed about every 4 years. Statistics say the people with depression usually have 7 episodes in their life. I guess I in episode 5. I have been on meds 4 times. This time was something else, so I decided to stay on meds and not have episode 6, lol!

I don't resent your comment about the forum not helping you. I know how irritable I felt when going on Lexapro. I was diagnosed with Majow Depression and Panic Disorder and didn't know if I'd ever feel right. I was able to take 6 weeks off from work for the meds to do their thing, and had to go on ativan to be able to sleep. My anxiety was through the roof, and I know it came out all over the place. I couldn't eat, sleep, concentrate, and I was a wreck. I waited until I was having panic attacks left and right. This was one of the biggest mistakes I mads; waiting until I couldn't 'go' anymore. I know I spent the first couple of weeks, waiting and waiting to feel somewhat 'normal'. It took about a month until I could go outside without feeling like the 'end was coming.' With anxiety, your imagination goes in overdrive and you worry about everything bad that can happen to you, your family, your finances, your job, your property, ect. It was a terrible experience, and I wouldn't wish it on my enemy, if I had any.

You might want to talk about your symptoms in either Depression Central or Member Needing Extra Support, Now if you are unable to deal with the symptoms of your depression and are looking for help with coping. Lots of people come here, and feel irritable and like they can't be helped, but you can. WE will do whatever we can to get you through the adjustment to taking meds. It's a process where your brain chemistry is changed so your perception becomes more accurate and you don't respond to what's going on with negativity. Meds also will help you to concentrate better and relax. You will notice changes in symptoms over the next couple of months. I know this seems like forever, but you have to remember that depression doesn't happen over night. I know mine really started about a year before I got back into treatment. Relapses will develope with more symptoms if left untreated. Something, that I have to say I'm sorry I learned.

Take good care of yourself. This is important for all of us. It's easy to let yourself go when you feel like your world is falling apart, but we understand. Being depressed is a lot of work. I know I feel like it will take me forever to accomplish things, but in reality, I just wear myself out thinking about it. What a drag. I have to push myself to do things. It would be a lot easier to sit and look at dust, but I can't life like that, either. If things are clean I feel much better. I guess you get real sensitive to your environment and other people. It's difficult to get through some days. You need to begin to have some hope that this will get better, and it usually does.

Love, Jackie
Posted Image

#29 ladyhornsby1

ladyhornsby1

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 02:49 PM

My experience was starting at 30mg. and taking it at night. I usually always took my ad's at night, and docs will sometimes say to take meds at 6pm. Well, it was fine until I went to 60mg., in about a week, and I was awake after a couple of hours of sleep and had to go to work like that; Not Good.

I started taking it in the morning and I felt much better. I had been on Lexparo prior to this and went onto cymbalta and went to 60mg. in a week. It was a real fast titer as my doc said the meds were similar. I felt sicker than a dog for about a week and used otc antacids to counterace this effect. After that week, I went to 60mg. and the side effect stopped. Generally this is reported as a side effect for most, along with dry mouth. After 2 years, I'm still sipping water, and some comment that the meds seems to work better if you drink lots of liquids.

Now, for the sleep problem. When you first start any med, one can usually experience a whole range of side effects and not being able to sleep or even not being able to stay awake for very long are 'start up effects'... Usually this resolves itsself in time. If it continues and you are taking cymbalta in the morning, I'd tell the doctor. Cymbalta is time released. You can't really open the pills as they burn the inside of your mouth. I know this from personal experience. Tastes yucky, too.

If you're thinking that you take a couple of pill, and everything is going to be fine, I want to tell you that ad's don't work that way. It takes a steady dose for about 6 to 8 weeks, just to get the mood lifting effect. You'll start to feel better after the first two weeks, but you will usually feel much better in 8 weeks. I think this is one of the biggest problems with ad's. They take so long before you start really feeling better. People usually stay on meds for about a year until the come off, if they want to see if their depression has resolved. My person experience is that I depressed about every 4 years. Statistics say the people with depression usually have 7 episodes in their life. I guess I in episode 5. I have been on meds 4 times. This time was something else, so I decided to stay on meds and not have episode 6, lol!

I don't resent your comment about the forum not helping you. I know how irritable I felt when going on Lexapro. I was diagnosed with Majow Depression and Panic Disorder and didn't know if I'd ever feel right. I was able to take 6 weeks off from work for the meds to do their thing, and had to go on ativan to be able to sleep. My anxiety was through the roof, and I know it came out all over the place. I couldn't eat, sleep, concentrate, and I was a wreck. I waited until I was having panic attacks left and right. This was one of the biggest mistakes I mads; waiting until I couldn't 'go' anymore. I know I spent the first couple of weeks, waiting and waiting to feel somewhat 'normal'. It took about a month until I could go outside without feeling like the 'end was coming.' With anxiety, your imagination goes in overdrive and you worry about everything bad that can happen to you, your family, your finances, your job, your property, ect. It was a terrible experience, and I wouldn't wish it on my enemy, if I had any.

You might want to talk about your symptoms in either Depression Central or Member Needing Extra Support, Now if you are unable to deal with the symptoms of your depression and are looking for help with coping. Lots of people come here, and feel irritable and like they can't be helped, but you can. WE will do whatever we can to get you through the adjustment to taking meds. It's a process where your brain chemistry is changed so your perception becomes more accurate and you don't respond to what's going on with negativity. Meds also will help you to concentrate better and relax. You will notice changes in symptoms over the next couple of months. I know this seems like forever, but you have to remember that depression doesn't happen over night. I know mine really started about a year before I got back into treatment. Relapses will develope with more symptoms if left untreated. Something, that I have to say I'm sorry I learned.

Take good care of yourself. This is important for all of us. It's easy to let yourself go when you feel like your world is falling apart, but we understand. Being depressed is a lot of work. I know I feel like it will take me forever to accomplish things, but in reality, I just wear myself out thinking about it. What a drag. I have to push myself to do things. It would be a lot easier to sit and look at dust, but I can't life like that, either. If things are clean I feel much better. I guess you get real sensitive to your environment and other people. It's difficult to get through some days. You need to begin to have some hope that this will get better, and it usually does.

Love, Jackie

Hi,

I'm new to the site. I was researching opinions and responses from different people on Cymbalta because I just recently started taking it (today) and accidentally came across this site and your message. I just wanted to say that I thought your message was truly heartfelt, honest, and a wonderful post. Thank you!

#30 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 08:09 AM

You're most welcome. I try! I imagine you know the importance of taking meds regularly, so you understand where I'm going with this.

We're glad you came into the room. I read that you are tapering onto Cymbalta and hope you have the success with it that most of us have had. Remember to drink plenty of water with it as it's constipating for some and expect a stomache ache, which some of us have experienced. Use OTC antacids as it only lasts for about a week. I went from 30 to 60mg. in a week after a fast taper off Lexparo and didn't notice anything but the stomache thingy, which not everyone has.

When are you taking yours, by the way?

Best Wishes!

Posted Image

#31 ladyhornsby1

ladyhornsby1

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 02:21 PM

Yesterday I took it around 12pm. I tossed and turned last night but was actually able to sleep somewhat. My kids told me that I was really grouchy before I went to sleep. I figured it was probably because I felt kinda queasy. Today I took it around 9am. My head started pounding around 10:30 -11am, so I took a couple of tylenol. My headache has subsided, but I still feel kinda queasy.

#32 americandancer

americandancer

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 08:37 PM

Yea, the queasy feeling....I am starting back on cymbalta, and I've got it again this time also. It usually goes away after the 1st week or so. I've immediately jumped in at 60mg, so I'm kinda expecting it to last a little longer for me. You should notice a huge difference in the next 7-10 days, as far as the stomach issue goes.

#33 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 09:37 PM

Do your best to stay with it, ladies!!! Use something otc for the queasies and it will go away. I see you also know to take something if a headache starts.

I still say take it as early in the am as possible so you can sleep at night. Drink plenty of water and watch the caffine. It doesn't interact with this med too well, especially if you have anxiety or trouble with sleep. I need to take my own advice, lol! :hearts:

Jackie :bump:
Posted Image

#34 Faylen

Faylen

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 10:11 AM

Heh. I'm on my fifth cup of coffee today. At 11AM. But I slept like a baby last night with a little help from ativan. I needed it, since we're trying 90 mg of Cymbalta these next two weeks.

#35 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 12:45 PM

Ativan always helped me stay asleep in the past, but I've been off of it for about 9mo., and prefer to only use it if the going gets so rough that the Cymbalta doesn't stop the panic attacks. Somedays, I think it's getting close.

I switched to 50/50 on the coffee. It doesn't help that I work in a place where I have access to French Vanilla Cappacino, or however it's spelled. lol! I could swim in that stuff, and I know it's at the tops with the caffine. The only point I was trying to make is that it's like a double edged sword. Some days, I use it to wake up and some days, it makes me jittery and I wish I would have left it in the coffee urn! Love that stuff!!

Posted Image

#36 KeepingAwake

KeepingAwake

• Platinum Member
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 12:48 PM

Don't feel too guilty about the Cappucino from a caffeine standpoint. There is so little espresso in them that it catually often turns out to have less caffeine than a 12 oz cup of coffee. :hearts: Espresso is more about bold flavor than a ton of caffeine anyway.

I use the 50/50 mix too at home so I don't get too wired, and it helps with the PMS!

KA
Beliefs Aren't Etched in Stone... Unless Your Brain is Made of Rock

#37 americandancer

americandancer

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 01:22 PM

I usually wake uup okay....with the help of my coffee. I usually need the extra boost of caffeine around 2:00 - 4:00, when I'm really tired. I see where a lot of people can't sleep on cymbalta. I don't have that problem at all (knock on wood). In the early evening when I'm still having to run my kids everywhere, I start counting down the hours until I can get in the bed!

#38 Guest_tomedcollins_*

Guest_tomedcollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2006 - 07:40 PM

I'm on 60mg of Cymbalta and tend to take my dose during the evening. Maybe I'll try taking it earlier in the day as I have trouble getting up in the morning, although that's a side-effect I've had with pretty much every anti-depressant I've ever taken (except one - I think it was Seroxat but it's been about 10 years now so I'm not 100% sure - which caused me to get up wide-awake after only 4-5 hours sleep).

One thing I can't get away with doing is taking my dose just before bed, as I found that when I do I have horrible and vivid nightmares throughout the night. As long as I leave it a few hours between taking my medication and going to sleep however, I'm usually fine.

#39 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 09:22 PM

Glad to hear from you, Tom!!

I guess we're all different, but I took Lexparo at night and paxil around 6:30. Cymbalta? Only in the am or I'm up all night...... I still have weird dreams, mostly about the past. Not too many spooky ones.

Jackie

Americandancer?

How's the tummy?
Posted Image

#40 americandancer

americandancer

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 07:44 AM

Hi, jkm. Thanks for asking...I'm getting there. The stomach issue is calming down some. I am just having a hard time fighting the fatigue. It's weird, because I think cymbalta does help me, but I seem to get a lot of nervous energy a few hours after I take it, but yet I can hardly stay awake around 3-4 in the afternoon, which is about 8 hours after I take it. I don't like the nervous energy or the fatigue. Is this something that will go away with time? I've taken cymbalta several times now, but never longer than a couple of months. Any advice regarding the nervousness and fatigue? I do like it, though. I just need things to level out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)