Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Mirtazapine "withdrawal"

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 erickson

erickson

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:32 PM

It's been awhile since there's been a "withdrawal" thread, and since I'm experiencing symptoms and curious to hear if others have as well, I'm starting a new topic!

I discontinued mirtazapine after taking 45mg for several months. one day, i felt like the medicine just stopped working -- dizziness, nausea, anxiety, depression, flu-like symptoms and what I can only describe as irritable bowels.

I went down to 30mg for several days, then to 15mg for several days (during which I was feeling much better), and then stopped taking mirt.

It has been 2 weeks that I've been off it, and in that time I've felt a resurgence in anxiety and depression (which doesn't seem to be helped much by taking benzodiazepine), nausea, loss of appetite, dizziness, vertigo and irritable bowels. today i was so dizzy i didn't even leave my house and had to skip work. for the last 2 days, i've felt soreness in my neck and had intermittent headaches.

Anyone else have experience with unpleasant symptoms while discontinuing mirtazapine? If so, how long did these symptoms last?

#2 BetterOff

BetterOff

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,232 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:49 PM

Hello, first of all I wanted to mention that benzo's do not help depression at all, they are for anxiety. The mirtazapine is for depression and what you could be experiencing is not withdrawal symptoms of mirtazapine but the onset of depression coming back. As for side effects the first two weeks off a medication are generally the worst, so I think you should start to show less symptoms any day now. But please, check with your doctor about the discontinuation of mirtazapine because you may not be ready to come off an anti-depressant and your reoccurance could be do to depression coming back and not withdrawal symptoms. Its hard to tell the difference and only your doctor can really make that call. Please I beg of you to see him asap because the longer you are off an anti-depressant the worse the depression can get.
You might try another AD that has less side-effects, its trial and error to find the right medication for you, my pdoc says it often takes two to three tries to find the right anti-depressant for someone and he knows his stuff...
Good Luck and best wishes.
Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#3 ja4445

ja4445

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:34 AM

It's been awhile since there's been a "withdrawal" thread, and since I'm experiencing symptoms and curious to hear if others have as well, I'm starting a new topic!

I discontinued mirtazapine after taking 45mg for several months. one day, i felt like the medicine just stopped working -- dizziness, nausea, anxiety, depression, flu-like symptoms and what I can only describe as irritable bowels.

I went down to 30mg for several days, then to 15mg for several days (during which I was feeling much better), and then stopped taking mirt.

It has been 2 weeks that I've been off it, and in that time I've felt a resurgence in anxiety and depression (which doesn't seem to be helped much by taking benzodiazepine), nausea, loss of appetite, dizziness, vertigo and irritable bowels. today i was so dizzy i didn't even leave my house and had to skip work. for the last 2 days, i've felt soreness in my neck and had intermittent headaches.

Anyone else have experience with unpleasant symptoms while discontinuing mirtazapine? If so, how long did these symptoms last?

I remember feeling quite upset while comming of mirtazapine, and feeling like I had a bad cold or infection. No energy and very blue! I think it lasted around 4 weeks it got abit better each day!

#4 erickson

erickson

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:51 PM

I remember feeling quite upset while comming of mirtazapine, and feeling like I had a bad cold or infection. No energy and very blue! I think it lasted around 4 weeks it got abit better each day!

thank you! that is useful to know. i have also been feeling a little better each day... but some days are worse than others. good to know it lasted about 4 weeks in your case. i am about 2.5 weeks into it. i know not all cases are the same, but for what its worth thats my case :)

#5 sobergal

sobergal

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:26 AM

I took 45 mg of mirtazapine for 10 years...in April 2011, it just seemed to stop working.

I was given 10 mg Celexa and started on Prometrium (progesterone replacement). Also started a DBT class.

Decided that I wanted to no longer take mirtazapine and talked to both my therapist and psychiatrist about it.

My psychiatrist suggested cutting the 45 mg pill in half but I didn't want to taper that fast. So I started on 30 mg and took that for 19 days, then took 15 mg for 14 days and then stopped taking it altogether. It's been 16 days of no mirtazapine and I feel great.

I'm now also off of the Prometrium for 4 days and am feeling great too.

Maybe you tapered off too fast?? I knew when I decreased my dose to 30 mg that if I started feeling weird, I'd take 45 mg for one day and then go back down to 30 mg so that my body and brain got used to the change.

Maybe not trying to taper so linearly...45-->30-->15-->0 was too much...perhaps something more like this would be easier to tolerate: 45-->30, 30, 30, 45, 30, 30, 30, 30, 30, 30-->15, 15, 15, 30, 15, 15, 15, 15, 15, 15-->0, 0, 0, 0, 15, 0, 0, 0, 0, 15, 0, 0, 0...this allow more time and flexibility for your body to get used to the changes.

I planned on going back up to the previous dose if anything felt too weird, crazy or scary as I tapered down but I ended up not feeling the need to do so~

If those feelings persist, maybe going back up and tapering a whole lot more slowly would give you body time to adjust. Talk to your psychiatrist about this.

#6 Pam5231949

Pam5231949

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:07 PM

Hi Erickson,

I was wondering how you were doing. I tried going off Mirtazapine in March, after being on it since October, 2010. After 8 days, I had nausea, stomach pain, anxiety, and insomnia. I lasted 6 more days, and reinstated on 3 mgs. Now, I'm tapering again, down to 1.65 mgs. Okay so far, but I worry about going off of it completely. The insomnia is the worst.

Did you continue to get better off of it?

Thanks

#7 erickson

erickson

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:56 AM

I tried going off Mirtazapine in March, after being on it since October, 2010. After 8 days, I had nausea, stomach pain, anxiety, and insomnia. I lasted 6 more days, and reinstated on 3 mgs. Now, I'm tapering again, down to 1.65 mgs. Okay so far, but I worry about going off of it completely. The insomnia is the worst.

Did you continue to get better off of it?

Hi Pam,

Each day I feel a little better -- the dizziness has been present but not as constant, the last couple days. the flu-like symptoms, nausea and irritable bowels (stomach pain, etc) have also been significantly less the last couple days. The 17-days off mark was about when I started feeling like the symptoms were becoming less severe. Anxiety has been present, but also not as severe as during the 17 day period.

That said, I do still feel a bit dizzy, a bit nauseous, and a bit anxious. (And, I didn't present with anything but anxiety when I began taking mirtazapine).

You are doing a very slow taper, and it seems like that may produce good results. At 1.65mgs you are nearly off it entirely, and I imagine your brain is doing a good job adjusting. At such a low dose, I can't think that you will have a difficult time coming off -- certainly not how unpleasant things were for you last time.

Let me know how it works out for you!

#8 Pam5231949

Pam5231949

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 04:00 PM

Thanks, Erickson. I will let you know how I do when I go off. I'm still planning to do a slow taper from here, 10% off every two weeks and then jump off when I feel I have stablized on a very small amount. I'm feeling pretty good now - just a little drugged when I wake up. But I do want to go back to letting my brain operate on its own as soon as I can. It's amazing how I can still feel the effects of such a relatively small amount. Last time, I jumped off at 1.05 mgs, and it didn't work. But I had tapered pretty fast, and am going really slowly this time. Wishing you a full recovery! Pam

#9 adelords

adelords

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:11 AM

I share similar experience with you. In fact thats the reason why I'm still medicated as of now. I quit Seroxat after taking it for only (ridiculously) 7-8 days. The withdrawal effects lasted for like 3 - 4 months (doesn't matter if no else agrees with this) and all the time I had to take Xanax at 0.25-0.5 mg to aid me with sleep but throughout the day, I have to survive through bouts of nonsense (crappy withdrawal effects) enough to drive you insane. My primary symptoms seems to be globus hystericus (thanks to the meds, I had to resort to taking porridge everyday and lose weight, stupid meds), flu like/fever symptom, increase anxiety, insomnia, vertigo, etc. Since I can't remain on Xanax for long, I had to resort to another AD and this is where Remeron comes in. I feel stupid until today that I didn't notice that I was already having side effects after taking the drug for as low as 15mg. Its when I noticed my GH (globus hystericus) was getting better on the 3rd month of quitting seroxat while still on xanax but when I started taking Remeron, my GH got worse after only 2 weeks of taking it (I still can't believe I didn't notice that). Since it doesn't show any other side effects, my doc obviously increased my dose to 30mg thinking that it will do the trick (WRONG!). My anxiety spiked like crazy after only 2 weeks on 30 mg (I still can't believe I didn't quit the drug at that time) but since it helps with sleep, hence quitting xanax, I thought that I was going in the right direction and that supposedly if I give it enough time, the drug will work (I'm really tempted to use profanity by now). After only 4 weeks on 30mg, my anxiety got even worse which triggered a bunch crazy OCDs behavior that I never even had to begin with (there's too many to list, trust me). Again, stupidly, I went back to my doc and he increased it to 45 mg (What was I thinking?). After only 2 weeks on 45 mg, here's come the kicker, I started having 'tight knot' in my abdomen (still having it as of writing this even though I have quit the drugs for over 9 months). That was the last straw and I just quit the drug (I taper it 15mg a week in hope that it eases the withdrawal - what a load of BS). Its even worse when I hit 7.5mg (doesn't even induce sleep at all) and after quitting it, I had to take 0.5mg clonazepam everyday (to sleep and keep me sane from all the withdrawal effects which is quite as bad as quitting seroxat). That led me to 9 months of rollercoaster with clonazepam (which eventually I developed tolerance after 6 months) and now I'm taking Valdoxan (search my post in other threads for my story on this), so if I had anything to say, if it makes you worse, quit while you're still ahead. And oh yeah, this drug will increase your cholesterol level (not becoz ur on binge eating just in case you are) so there's really nothing u can do about that. Until today, I still ask myself. WHY DID I DO IT?

#10 Moonlight_Magic

Moonlight_Magic

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:25 PM

I was going to ask how long the flu feeling lasts! I just weaned off them and stopped completely after taking them for 10 years at 30mgs a day. My moods are fine, I am not feeling depressed and actually my mood seems to be better off them at this stage (I was more depressed on them not to mention feeling fatigued with a constantly upset stomach...I almost moved into the bathroom at one point lol). But I would swear that, even though I am female, I have a case of the MAN flu! I have taken to my bed for the time being and am hoping it won't last too long. I even have the runny sore nose that comes with a cold/flu unless I have just picked a bug up somewhere or something!
"Oneday your prince will find you, mine just got lost on the way and was too stubborn to ask for directions!" (annoymous)

All quotes below by me and whomever happened to come up with them before i did (lol):

"Beneath the pessimism that is depression im an eternal optimist, so please don't be fooled by my seeming negativity!" *ahem*

"Finding acceptance from the world around us, begins with finding acceptance of the self".

"You dont have to achieve great things to be a great person!"

"On the road of life im a sunday driver. Im taking the scenic route at a speed im comfortable with. So if you want to overtake me, please feel free, but dont keep beeping your horn at me, its irritating. Thankyou"

#11 Soccer_Dude

Soccer_Dude

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:55 PM

Hi,

This is an old thread, so not sure if you are watching but thought I'd share my withdrawal experience. I did post it as a new thread but incase you didn't see it....

I was only on Remeron for about two months. I started at 7.5mg for 3 days, then went to 15mg for two weeks, then back to 7.5mg for a few weeks, then back to 15mg for two weeks then decided to come off, and then did a 1 week taper at 7.5mg then 5 days at 3.75mg. The last couple of days on 3.75mg I started to feel more depressed, or ill like feeling. My mood definately dropped. My appetitie decreased, my stomach hurt a couple of times, and i felt nauseated when I eat at times, but I can usually force myself to eat. I slept like 4 hours last night. Feeling slightly better today but not much. I was doing so good recently, and this taper seemed to put be into a funk. I hope it doesn't last long. I wasn't on it that long, nor did I take that high of a dose. So, we'll see.

Soccer

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users