Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Sertraline And Melatonin(For Sleep)...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Motown87

Motown87

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:48 AM

My girlfriend suggested something natural to help me sleep at night, Melatonin. I can't find anything about drug interactions with it online, does anyone take this along with their Sertraline?

Keep calm,

And carry on.

#2 BetterOff

BetterOff

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,232 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 11:18 AM

Hello, a number of people have mentioned melatonin as great for sleep and taking it with other medications, I am not a doctor so its best you inquire about it with your own doctor about if its a safe medication to take for sleep because even though its sold over the counter, it is a drug. I think your reponse will be a positive one from the doctor thats its okay but again always consult by calling the nurse and asking and she will ask the doctor who will call you back with a response. You dont need to make an appointment to see the doctor specifically about this if you can get an answer over the phone, or just hold off trying it until after your next doctors visit. Better safe than sorry...
Good Luck and best wishes.
p.s. if you are having problems sleeping, might I recommend that you also talk to your doctor about this as there are mild non-addicting sleeping aides he might be able to prescribe for you. Benedryl is a great sleeping aide that *is* safe according to my two doctors and recommended and its an anti-histime to boot, its sold two ways over the counter, as an anti-histimes (more expensive that way) and as a sleeping aide (very cheap that way) but the same thing. Just make sure you dont buy the non-drowsy kind as that is definately not the kind you want, you want just plain ole benedryl and it will make you drowsy if you take it at nightime before bed. If its not strong enough then definately talk to your doctor about a sleeping aide.

Edited by BetterOff, 19 June 2011 - 11:21 AM.

Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#3 Ramparts

Ramparts

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 01:36 PM

I started Setraline yesterday morning and took Melatonin yesterday night. Had a fine sleep and nothing seemed weird. I was on Citalopram for 6 weeks while taking Melatonin and also had no problems. But as BetterOff said, a doctor would be able to give you the safest answer. Best of luck.

Edited by Ramparts, 19 June 2011 - 01:37 PM.

#4 Motown87

Motown87

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:08 AM

Thanks to you both for the replies!

Keep calm,

And carry on.

#5 Liliah

Liliah

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:17 AM

I take Melatonin with Parnate, and it extremely helpful with my insomnia. Presently, I am taking Rozerem instead, which I like even more. They operate quite similarly, really. With Melatonin, there was no hang over, and it wasn't as strong of other medications; but I always require a hypnotic too, though, and take Sonata, and because it is short acting, am not tired in the morning. Of course, this is my experience with it, and was prescribed and is closely monitored by my psychiatrist. This is definitely something you should talk about with your doctor before taking it to make sure you will be safe. Please please do not just buy it and give it go.

I hope this is something you can take, for it's so inexpensive and readily available. Keep us posted!

Sincerely,
Liliah

Edited by Liliah, 20 June 2011 - 12:18 AM.

#6 Motown87

Motown87

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 02:25 PM

I have taken the melatonin a few nights this past week with no negative effects. I don't wake with a hangover and I sleep pretty well. I think the melatonin is a good fit for me. Doesn't seem to be affecting the Zoloft's effectiveness or anything like that. Thanks to all for the responses!
-Amanda

Keep calm,

And carry on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users