Advertisement

Scheduled Maintenance:

Please be aware that depressionforums will be down for a short period beginning from 02:00 EST (07:00 GMT) on Sunday 21st December for necessary maintenance. We apologise for the inconvenience and it should only take about 45 minutes.

• No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Does Anyone Have A Young Bipolar Ii Child? (6Ish Or So?)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ResaJ

ResaJ

Just Registered

ID: 58486

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:06 PM

Some background... I am the mom of 2 little girls--one who turns six on Sunday and a two year old. I'm currently being treated for depression (probably bipolar, but the psych. doctor doesn't like that word for whatever reason and mood stabilizers seem to finally do the trick after everything else failed).

My oldest daughter has been spirited? high maintenance? explosive? irritable? etc from birth. I've felt like something was different about her from the beginning. At her one week appointment with the pediatrician, I told him she was stubborn!

After years, I've finally convinced myself to follow through with some sort of testing. I've read lots of stories about others experience of children with bipolar i, but I'm curious if anyone is getting a diagnosis if bipolar ii, and what it looks like. My therapist (the one I see myself) recommended evaluation by a child psychologist. My psychiatrist recommended evaluation by the child and adolescent mood clinic at Emory University here in the Atlanta area. I tried repeatedly to make an appointment at the mood clinic, but long story short, cannot get past voice mail or get a return call.

Today we had an evaluation with a child psychologist here in town, and I just put it all out there. Every concern, every behavior? Asked if it was normal behavior for a child her age. She gave me ton of paperwork and behavioral evaluations to fill out and of course wants to look over all of that and somehow talk with my daughter (who is very resistant to talking with anyone she hasn't known for a long time) before she renders an opinion. She did, however, voice some thoughts about oppositional defiant disorder or some form of aspergers or some ocd. She said, she couldn't quite put her finger on the actual problem yet, but that there was definitely cause for concern. She in no way is recommending any kind of medication at this age, but does say she suspects that at some point in my childs future it will probably be necessary.

My family is definitely a mixed bag of nuts (ha ha) with a long history of depression, alcoholism, abuse, suicide, and even some arrests.

Thanks for your time.

#2 Every

Every

ID: 31584

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:41 AM

Hmm. Bi-polar sounds interesting. I have no idea how you do that when you're dealing with different ages and such, but it's a tough deal whatever the job. I am pretty amazed that you have all that on your plate, are you dealing with it alright? I hope you know what you're up against. GG =)
We will be again, another time
No matter what all the others say..

Break the silence

#3 Naomij

Naomij

ID: 58769

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 09:33 AM

My oldest daughter has been spirited? high maintenance? explosive? irritable? etc from birth. I've felt like something was different about her from the beginning. At her one week appointment with the pediatrician, I told him she was stubborn!

My younger daughter also had issues from birth. Yes, something was different about her. There is a book from a mother - "It's Not Mental" by Wolfson - about this exact thing - her child was different from birth. The "mental" does not mean "emotional" like from traumas because you cannot be born with emotional issues. BUT, these kids need extra "mental health" in order to thrive in spite of whatever biological problems they are having which are causing that irritability, explosiveness, high maintenance, etc. Another book you might look into is "The Highly Sensitive Child" by Aron.

After years, I've finally convinced myself to follow through with some sort of testing. I've read lots of stories about others experience of children with bipolar i, but I'm curious if anyone is getting a diagnosis if bipolar ii, and what it looks like.

Ahh, for this, you might also want a third book - "The Bipolar Child" by Papolos and Papolos. My kids were the ultra-ultra rapid cycling type of bipolar. They often had "mixed states" which is an energized depression, which can be dangerous because they have the energy to act upon their depression. Also, it creates a horrible feeling in them.

Today we had an evaluation with a child psychologist here in town, and I just put it all out there. Every concern, every behavior? Asked if it was normal behavior for a child her age. She gave me ton of paperwork and behavioral evaluations to fill out and of course wants to look over all of that and somehow talk with my daughter (who is very resistant to talking with anyone she hasn't known for a long time) before she renders an opinion. She did, however, voice some thoughts about oppositional defiant disorder or some form of aspergers or some ocd. She said, she couldn't quite put her finger on the actual problem yet, but that there was definitely cause for concern. She in no way is recommending any kind of medication at this age, but does say she suspects that at some point in my childs future it will probably be necessary.

Actually, I think getting some sort of developmental diagnosis (like PDD) is wonderful. Not only does the mood disorder cause some developmental/emotional issues as they grow up, the mental illness diagnoses shut doors in the young adults' faces whereas there are so many more services available for the PDD/autistic spectrum young adults and children which these kids/young adults NEED!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users