Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

cymbalta for anxiety

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 americandancer

americandancer

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 09:00 AM

Is anyone taking cymbalta mainly for anxiety/panic and not just depression? I just am not sure this is the best med for my anxiety and don't know if something like lexapro would be better. I've taken lexapro before, but it kept making me itch. A start up side effect, I guess. I like cymbalta and the fact it kills my appetite, but I just don't know if it is the best choice for anxiety.

#2 americandancer

americandancer

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 01:26 PM

I'm assuming nobody takes cymbalta mainly for anxiety/panic disorder?

#3 taffycat

taffycat

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 01:44 PM

It kind of looks that way.

I take it for depression, and have had some freefloating anxiety, but not too terrible. Who is giving you this for anxiety? Pdocs know a lot about medications, and some PCP's do as well, but usually they're not as well informed. My pdoc and I have conversations about "why this medication, and why not that one that you mentioned last week". I have found it very interesting. Everyone does react differently to each medication, so it could very well be just the right one for you. I say try it and see.

I take a low dose of risperdol on an as needed basis to help with the anxiety. (I even give one to my husband when he gets stressed. My pdoc doesn't like it, but it makes it easier on me!)

Edited by taffycat, 14 July 2006 - 01:49 PM.

...in a time lacking in truth and certainty and filled with anguish and despair, no woman should be shamefaced in attempting to give back to the world, through her work, a portion of its lost heart.
-Louise Bogan

Posted Image

#4 americandancer

americandancer

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 02:17 PM

Thanks, taffycat. My gp gave me the cymbalta. I don't see a pdoc now. I've seen a psychologist in the past for cbt. I was just curious how many take it for anxiety and not mainly depression and pain. I do know my doctor thinks all my anxiety may be coming from depression, and he may be right. I think that's why he tries to treat that first. But....I know when I'm in the throes of a giant panic attack and shaking, that is not depression, but anxiety and panic! I have alprazolam as needed for the anxiety. I take it as needed, but I don't want to be taking a snri, when maybe I should be taking another ssri, if that makes any sense.

#5 kitschywoman

kitschywoman

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 03:34 PM

I just started taking Cymbalta (1 week on 30 mg, 6th day on 60 mg) for my anxiety and depression. I can't tell if it's working yet, but I'm hoping it does. I was formerly on Lexapro, but it pooped out on me. I did find this link after a quick Internet search...

Please Pm kitschywoman, if you'd like information on the link

Edited by taffycat, 14 July 2006 - 04:07 PM.

#6 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 05:19 PM

I went from Lexapro to Cymbalta and I only had the stomach thing to deal with. After I went to 60mg., I didn't notice any difference with being on a new med; no increase in side effects. Got rid of that headache I had the WHOLE time I was on Lexapro, though.

Maybe we see the same doc, lol!!
Posted Image

I have GAD. I worry about everything, lol!

#7 Nopawn

Nopawn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 08:32 AM

I am on day 4 of 30 mgs of Cymbalta. My experience so far is that this med is wonderful...for me, anyway. I have depression and suffer from anxiety. I've tried various meds over the years and none of them have worked like this one does. Of course, I'm only on day 4. It gives me more energy, clears my head of a generally foggy/fuzzy feeling, gives me the feeling that I can cope with things. This morning I woke up and could feel that the med was wearing off from yesterday's early morning dose. So I have now taken the 30 mgs, and am (anxiously!) waiting for it to kick in. I've had no problem with side effects so far, either...aside from a little dry mouth. A gp put me on the med.

#8 Orion

Orion

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 10:36 AM

Hi,

I've been on Cymbalta for 2 yrs. in Aug. It has not helped my anxiety but has been very good for my depression. I think it is a great drug. I have to take other things for my GAD and other conditions.

I hope you all find the relief you need in both areas. Let me know how your anxiety and depression is going.
Orion

Dancing on the Edges

#9 americandancer

americandancer

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 12:14 PM

Orion, what do you take with cymbalta to help your anxiety? Is it an as-needed medication? I liked cymbalta very much...I just needed something to counteract the nervous energy I had.

#10 butterfly

butterfly

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 01:36 PM

I too take cymbalta. I have high depression and Anxiey, but i take other meds too like Klonopin and trazadone. Maybe one ofthose would help????

good luck,
BF
Oh Lord that you would bless me indeed
[indent=1]And enlarge my territory
That you would put your hand with me
[indent=1]And keep me from pain.

#11 americandancer

americandancer

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 09:11 PM

Yea, I think cymbalta would be great for me with a daily dose of alprazolam (xanax). I just don't know if my doctor would go for that, or not.

#12 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 09:17 AM

I think your doc may for for that as long as it doesn't become the norm. I know I took ativan for about 7 mo. till the Lexapro finally took care of the anxiety. I think docs will go for about anything with the benzos as long as you don't become addicted. THAT, they frown upon. I know I was so afraid of the addiction potential that the doc had to initially offer it two times until I'd accept it, lol!

Jackie :hearts:
Posted Image

#13 americandancer

americandancer

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 09:45 AM

I'm still trying the lexapro, but if it doesn't cut it, I will go back to cymbalta with the alprazolam. Do you think the longer I took cymbalta, the anxiety might go away? Jackie, did you just realize 7 months into the lexapro that one day you woke up and felt fine and didn't need the ativan? Maybe the cymbalta would be like that for me. It wasn't causing true anxiety, just nervous energy I didn't know how to channel. As you can tell, I really want to go back to the cymbalta. Just trying to figure out what to do. I'm driving myself nuts!

#14 americandancer

americandancer

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 09:46 AM

I need a picture like everyone else. Just gotta figure out how to do that....lol!

#15 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 01:15 PM

I broke the ativan in four pieces and used it when the anxiety first started, you know that tingly feeling one gets in the pit of their stomach that signals the adrenaline is about to start pumping? Anyhow that was how it hit me.

A pill eventually became enough to get me through the day. Much better that taking a whole pill a couple times a day! Somehow, the anxiety just stopped bothering me with all the symptoms and I just quit needing it. I had a couple of broken pills that I carried for awhile in the bottle in my purse, just in case. I guess is was just a slow natural taper off the med.

I was off of it for many months when I got on Cymbalta. I didn't notice any problems with anxiety when I tapered onto Cymbalta. I still feel it, but nothing like when I wasn't on meds. As a matter of fact, I got stopped by a policeman today, for a warning, and didn't freak out. Now, talk about control of anxiety. I was in a rush to get my Mother home, and sailed through a light at a corner. He said I just about hit him, but it must have been an little exageratted because he only gave me a warning. :bump: Thankgoodness! I can't afford a ticket and don't want any points on my license!

What a day, already! :hearts:

Jackie :shocked:
Posted Image

#16 Orion

Orion

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 03:05 PM

Hi American Dancer,

Sorry to be so late to answer; I get here when I am able.

I take xanax, klonopin, abilify, lamictal and neurotin (ugh). The xanax is the most helpful but I try not to take it unless I am really bad but it is addictive but not in the normal sense of addiction (my opinion). If you are diagnosed with general anxiety disorder I cannot imagine your dr. not giving you a Rx for something to help. After two years on Cymbalta I can tell you I am in much better shape than before in all areas of my life...except fatigue. Feel free to PM me.

JKM, wow, I am really excited that the policeman didn't make you freak. That is true and wonderful progress. Congratulations.

((((((hugs))))) to all.
Orion

Dancing on the Edges

#17 americandancer

americandancer

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 06:55 PM

Thanks, orion. I do have alprazolam (generic xanax) to take as needed. It really works well for me and I only take .5 when I really need it. I am just scared one day my doctor won't refill it and I won't have the one thing that works for me, I appreciate you responding!
Jackie, I'm glad you didn't get a ticket. I got one for speeding a few months ago...really raises the insurance. I didn't freak out, but I was shaking really badly when he got to the car. I looked completely guilty of a lot more than speeding, I'm sure. lol
Glad to know cymbalta is working so well for you all. I'm still hanging in there with the lexapro, but I do know what I'll choose if I can't take the lex.
You all are so great!!!! :hearts: :bump: :shocked:

#18 americandancer

americandancer

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 10:51 AM

Wish me luck - I'm back on cymbalta.

:hearts: :bump: :shocked:

Kelly

#19 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 11:25 AM

Wishing you Luck!!!

What make you want to switch?

Posted Image

#20 americandancer

americandancer

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 02:13 PM

I was getting concerned about the itching from the lexapro, even though I think it would have gone away with time. Also, I was just really tired and knew that cymbalta would bring me out of that. Took a 60mg this morning after having been off of it for over a week and feeling fine. A little nausea here and there, but pretty much fine.

#21 kitschywoman

kitschywoman

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 10:27 AM

OK, it's official. Cymbalta worked for both my anxiety and depression. For me, it started kicking in after the three-week mark. After four weeks on it, I was feeling like my old cheeful, non-anxious self again.

:hearts:
  • CherylW likes this

#22 americandancer

americandancer

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 04:31 PM

Thanks, kitschywoman! I am hoping the longer I am on it, the better I'll get. I feel better when I am taking the cymbalta, but I do still have anxiety here and there. More than I would like, but it's not too bad. I am back to work teaching now, so I have been exhausted this week, but I think it's from work, not the cymbalta. Overall, I like cymbalta. I'm just hoping the anxiety will go away for good. I'm hanging in there.
I've also noticed I've gotten my appetite back....yuck! I'll have to keep an eye on that. :hearts:

#23 americandancer

americandancer

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 04:32 PM

Where is everybody else that's taking cymbalta? How are you all doing?

#24 RoseTower

RoseTower

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 07:43 PM

Where is everybody else that's taking cymbalta? How are you all doing?

I'm on day 12 and I am doing alright. It has taken a little edge off my anxiety so far and I think it may be helping the depression. The only side effects I'm getting so far are a very dry mouth and appetite loss. I have lost a few pounds with it and that has cheered me up.

But for the anxiety, I think I might need something added, but I don't see the P-doc until mid september.

#25 deepdiver

deepdiver

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 08:11 PM

Is anyone taking cymbalta mainly for anxiety/panic and not just depression? I just am not sure this is the best med for my anxiety and don't know if something like lexapro would be better. I've taken lexapro before, but it kept making me itch. A start up side effect, I guess. I like cymbalta and the fact it kills my appetite, but I just don't know if it is the best choice for anxiety.

AD,

I switched from Zoloft to Cymbalta, and was on CYmbalta for 4 weeks and back to Zoloft. Cymbalta was just not good for me, actually I felt lots of panic and anxiety attacks during the time. I don't know whether that's because of my issues, or cymbalta was just simply not working for me.

For my attacks my doctor had a mixture of things in my capsule that has Xanax, Frissium, and some other stuff that are usually described for parkinson patients but if you take in in small dosages, my doctor said it helps the mood and the attacks.

So for me, Cymbalta is not for anxiety/panic. Try to talk to your doctor.

DD

ps: what kind of dance do you do, because I'm a salsa dancer myself!
Live might be hard for me right now but I'm working hard to get over the depression, even if I have to crawl slowly to recovery...

#26 americandancer

americandancer

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 08:29 PM

Rosetower, glad you're doing okay. I agree...it would be perfect with something added for anxiety. I do have alprazolam, but would like to get by on an ad alone.
DD, what mg zoloft are you taking? Do you take the xanax and other stuff regularly with your zoloft? I told my doctor once before that zoloft was great, if I could take xanax everyday. Maybe that is the way ad's are for me...they are fine, but I still need an anti-anxiety med.
I actually help teach classes....tap, ballet, pointe, hip-hop, jazz, modern, lyrical...I would love to learn salsa!!!

#27 isabelle

isabelle

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 10:48 AM

I have been on Cymbalta a little over 4 weeks, last week I started to feel normal all of a sudden. It is wonderful, no more anxiety and depression. Just last sunday, I was still crying!. :hearts:
To everyone hang in there, this medicine really works.

#28 Nopawn

Nopawn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 05:58 PM

So far, Cymbalta is the best med I've tried. I've been on it four and a half weeks now. I had almost no side-effects, even when I began to take it. I don't feel a lot of anxiety (which is something I have a lot of along with depression), but have some anxiety as the day goes along. I have also lost weight. I eat, but I'm not ravenous and don't crave things. Cymbalta seems to even out my moods, though I think it is also making me have a bit of brain fog. Still, anything is better than the horrible depression and the anxiety. I have yet to fill a prescription, as my M.D. gave me samples. I am afraid of what it is going to cost me, as my insurance isn't very good. To sleep (another problem with me for years) I take a small amount of generic Xanax and Trazodone.

#29 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 08:33 PM

I've been on 60mg. for 2 years, and I have to say that besides having a dry mouth and a couple of zaps here and there, that I like it better than Lexparo. The only time I needed ativan was when Ifirst started, then when my Dad died a year and a half ago. Other than that, I can get through anxiety-provoking situations easily and not have any residual anxiety, like in the past. It doesn't ruin my day. I'm able to keep my mood in a pretty good frame and I'm able to remember things fairly well. Sometimes, I don't think I need the whole 60mg., but I'm not ready to go off this. It helps with the pain that I have from a pain disorder. When I see the commercial on television I want to cut in and say that it helps, but I also have to take neurontin to get through the day.

I get mine from my doc for free. If you can't afford it, ask your doc if he can give it to you. They get these meds by the tons and sometimes they will help you this way. Otherwise, you can ask the drug company for assistance. I think one of them will give you the prescription for $25. if you qualify. I know when I was working, I paid this much as it was a name brand med. You could also try to get it for free through the Prescription Assistance program. I think Lindsay has the website information in one of the med rooms.

Posted Image

#30 americandancer

americandancer

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 08:56 PM

Jackie, how long were you on cymbalta before you were able to stop the ativan?

#31 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 09:05 PM

I think it was 4 months. My doc gives me a script with one refill on it when I need it. I stretched them out as a half of a pill cut the anxiety down really quickly, but a whole pill would put me to sleep, and I didn't want to be sleeping all the time, lol!

I think Klonapin would knock my socks off! I just wanted asomething to take the edge off so I could deal with whatever was going on without freaking out. I started out with getting behind the wheel which was a big thing as I could have well stayed in the house forever, with the severe anxiety. Remember, I had Panic disorder, and people with this are panicy ALL the time and I was really screwed up with anxiety. Not going outside to even get the mail, much less that driving or going to the store. Work was completely out. No way could Idrive that far without getting freaky. I took my son with me when I finally started driving to the doc. Talking to him helped keep the focus off the irrational thought that I was going to be involved in an accident or cause one. Man, was I freaked out!!

A couple of weeks later, I was abo\le to drive my daughter 40mi. to gymnastics classes.

Ativan. It's quick acting and lasts about 4 hours.

I ought to get a job as a drug rep. At least I could say I took the stuff, lol!

I'm still here!

Posted Image

#32 americandancer

americandancer

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 01:18 PM

I have generic xanax to take with the cymbalta. I think that's very similar to ativan. I'm just looking for hope that my anxiety will go away with the cymbalta, that's why I'm asking so many questions. So, you started the cymbalta and were on the ativan for about four months, and then you were able to stop the ativan, and the anxiety was gone? I have panic disorder also, so I know the feeling too well. Cymbalta is not approved for panic disorder, though. Not yet anyway.
So, do you think the longer I take it, the more chance the anxiety will go away, or if it hasn't helped in say 8 weeks, then it may not work at all for my anxiety? Thanks for all your help and sorry so many questions. I'm just looking for a little extra help.
Kelly :hearts:

#33 Nopawn

Nopawn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 02:55 PM

Thanks for your tips on getting the meds, Jackie. I really appreciate your advice.

I have a couple of more weeks of samples left. Maybe in a week, I'll call the doc's office and beg for more. I'm so sick of having to go hat (or should that be "head") in hand, to ask for meds.

Nopawn

#34 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 09:53 AM

Welcome username!

There are no actual identified rooms for CBT, but you can find the topic in Psych Ed. 101, under the forums room with Members Needing Extra Support Now. It's at the bottom of the screen.

Why don't you start this as a topic, yourself? :shocked:

There are lots of mention about herbs and natural substances in the last area of the forum entitled 'One Step At A Time, in the last topic, I belief. It's at the bottom of the main page.

We don't have pharmaceutcal sponsors. :shocked: Just lots of people who have had experience with meds and want to share and support each other. We go on donations. You may have read about this when you first signed up. It's at the top of the forum screen.

You can also go to Posting, Asking and Sharing for questions about the forums. (You might get a quicker response to question, there,) Sorry this is a late. I was shopping all day and part of the evening with the kids for school supplies and clothes. I think I ruined my feet and my brain, and now I'm broke and in need of some rest, lol! Like an old woman! :bump: Just Kidding!!

Take Care,

Posted Image

#35 Forum Admin

Forum Admin

Admin Team

• Super Administrators
  • 14,444 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 03:07 PM

Thanks for your tips on getting the meds, Jackie. I really appreciate your advice.

I have a couple of more weeks of samples left. Maybe in a week, I'll call the doc's office and beg for more. I'm so sick of having to go hat (or should that be "head") in hand, to ask for meds.

Nopawn

I'm very new here, and when I searched for "cognitive behavioural therapy" on this website, there were no "hits" (maybe I entered the search term incorrectly?).

Are (perhaps due to the sponsors) only pharmaceutical 'solutions' discussed on this website?

I was on Prozac for six months, around twelve years ago, and (not wishing to repeat the experience of for me, living like I was within a sponge that dampened my highs and lows), recently tried St. John's Wort for several years. But, now I'm searching for counselling or at least a program of cognitive behavioural therapy, in my search for a more long lasting solution.

ns

un,

You spelled it incorrectly so therefore you will not get any search results! cognitive behavioral therapy.

Try searching/looking on our Portal and NO we are NOT affiliated with any pharmacutical company whatsoever. (If you were so applying, that is :hearts: )
~Lindsay, Forum Admin

~Lindsay ღ , Forum Super Administrator
Founder, depressionforums.org

"One person can make a difference through their seemingly small actions" ~Unknown
"To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived". ~ Bessie Stanley

Depression Forums are PG rated and we comply with Health on the Net's HONcode
goldenvelope1jr.gifplatinumstar.jpg

Hotlines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users