Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
americandancer

cymbalta for anxiety

35 posts in this topic

Posted

Is anyone taking cymbalta mainly for anxiety/panic and not just depression? I just am not sure this is the best med for my anxiety and don't know if something like lexapro would be better. I've taken lexapro before, but it kept making me itch. A start up side effect, I guess. I like cymbalta and the fact it kills my appetite, but I just don't know if it is the best choice for anxiety.

You might also be interested in:

Posted

I'm assuming nobody takes cymbalta mainly for anxiety/panic disorder?

Posted (edited)

It kind of looks that way.

I take it for depression, and have had some freefloating anxiety, but not too terrible. Who is giving you this for anxiety? Pdocs know a lot about medications, and some PCP's do as well, but usually they're not as well informed. My pdoc and I have conversations about "why this medication, and why not that one that you mentioned last week". I have found it very interesting. Everyone does react differently to each medication, so it could very well be just the right one for you. I say try it and see.

I take a low dose of risperdol on an as needed basis to help with the anxiety. (I even give one to my husband when he gets stressed. My pdoc doesn't like it, but it makes it easier on me!)

Edited by taffycat

Posted

Thanks, taffycat. My gp gave me the cymbalta. I don't see a pdoc now. I've seen a psychologist in the past for cbt. I was just curious how many take it for anxiety and not mainly depression and pain. I do know my doctor thinks all my anxiety may be coming from depression, and he may be right. I think that's why he tries to treat that first. But....I know when I'm in the throes of a giant panic attack and shaking, that is not depression, but anxiety and panic! I have alprazolam as needed for the anxiety. I take it as needed, but I don't want to be taking a snri, when maybe I should be taking another ssri, if that makes any sense.

Posted (edited)

I just started taking Cymbalta (1 week on 30 mg, 6th day on 60 mg) for my anxiety and depression. I can't tell if it's working yet, but I'm hoping it does. I was formerly on Lexapro, but it pooped out on me. I did find this link after a quick Internet search...

Please Pm kitschywoman, if you'd like information on the link

Edited by taffycat

Posted

I went from Lexapro to Cymbalta and I only had the stomach thing to deal with. After I went to 60mg., I didn't notice any difference with being on a new med; no increase in side effects. Got rid of that headache I had the WHOLE time I was on Lexapro, though.

Maybe we see the same doc, lol!!

Posted

I am on day 4 of 30 mgs of Cymbalta. My experience so far is that this med is wonderful...for me, anyway. I have depression and suffer from anxiety. I've tried various meds over the years and none of them have worked like this one does. Of course, I'm only on day 4. It gives me more energy, clears my head of a generally foggy/fuzzy feeling, gives me the feeling that I can cope with things. This morning I woke up and could feel that the med was wearing off from yesterday's early morning dose. So I have now taken the 30 mgs, and am (anxiously!) waiting for it to kick in. I've had no problem with side effects so far, either...aside from a little dry mouth. A gp put me on the med.

Posted

Hi,

I've been on Cymbalta for 2 yrs. in Aug. It has not helped my anxiety but has been very good for my depression. I think it is a great drug. I have to take other things for my GAD and other conditions.

I hope you all find the relief you need in both areas. Let me know how your anxiety and depression is going.

Posted

Orion, what do you take with cymbalta to help your anxiety? Is it an as-needed medication? I liked cymbalta very much...I just needed something to counteract the nervous energy I had.

Posted

I too take cymbalta. I have high depression and Anxiey, but i take other meds too like Klonopin and trazadone. Maybe one ofthose would help????

good luck,

BF

Posted

Yea, I think cymbalta would be great for me with a daily dose of alprazolam (xanax). I just don't know if my doctor would go for that, or not.

Posted

I think your doc may for for that as long as it doesn't become the norm. I know I took ativan for about 7 mo. till the Lexapro finally took care of the anxiety. I think docs will go for about anything with the benzos as long as you don't become addicted. THAT, they frown upon. I know I was so afraid of the addiction potential that the doc had to initially offer it two times until I'd accept it, lol!

Jackie :hearts:

Posted

I'm still trying the lexapro, but if it doesn't cut it, I will go back to cymbalta with the alprazolam. Do you think the longer I took cymbalta, the anxiety might go away? Jackie, did you just realize 7 months into the lexapro that one day you woke up and felt fine and didn't need the ativan? Maybe the cymbalta would be like that for me. It wasn't causing true anxiety, just nervous energy I didn't know how to channel. As you can tell, I really want to go back to the cymbalta. Just trying to figure out what to do. I'm driving myself nuts!

Posted

I need a picture like everyone else. Just gotta figure out how to do that....lol!

Posted

I broke the ativan in four pieces and used it when the anxiety first started, you know that tingly feeling one gets in the pit of their stomach that signals the adrenaline is about to start pumping? Anyhow that was how it hit me.

A pill eventually became enough to get me through the day. Much better that taking a whole pill a couple times a day! Somehow, the anxiety just stopped bothering me with all the symptoms and I just quit needing it. I had a couple of broken pills that I carried for awhile in the bottle in my purse, just in case. I guess is was just a slow natural taper off the med.

I was off of it for many months when I got on Cymbalta. I didn't notice any problems with anxiety when I tapered onto Cymbalta. I still feel it, but nothing like when I wasn't on meds. As a matter of fact, I got stopped by a policeman today, for a warning, and didn't freak out. Now, talk about control of anxiety. I was in a rush to get my Mother home, and sailed through a light at a corner. He said I just about hit him, but it must have been an little exageratted because he only gave me a warning. :bump: Thankgoodness! I can't afford a ticket and don't want any points on my license!

What a day, already! :hearts:

Jackie :shocked:

Posted

Hi American Dancer,

Sorry to be so late to answer; I get here when I am able.

I take xanax, klonopin, abilify, lamictal and neurotin (ugh). The xanax is the most helpful but I try not to take it unless I am really bad but it is addictive but not in the normal sense of addiction (my opinion). If you are diagnosed with general anxiety disorder I cannot imagine your dr. not giving you a Rx for something to help. After two years on Cymbalta I can tell you I am in much better shape than before in all areas of my life...except fatigue. Feel free to PM me.

JKM, wow, I am really excited that the policeman didn't make you freak. That is true and wonderful progress. Congratulations.

((((((hugs))))) to all.

Posted

Thanks, orion. I do have alprazolam (generic xanax) to take as needed. It really works well for me and I only take .5 when I really need it. I am just scared one day my doctor won't refill it and I won't have the one thing that works for me, I appreciate you responding!

Jackie, I'm glad you didn't get a ticket. I got one for speeding a few months ago...really raises the insurance. I didn't freak out, but I was shaking really badly when he got to the car. I looked completely guilty of a lot more than speeding, I'm sure. lol

Glad to know cymbalta is working so well for you all. I'm still hanging in there with the lexapro, but I do know what I'll choose if I can't take the lex.

You all are so great!!!! :hearts::bump::shocked:

Posted

Wish me luck - I'm back on cymbalta.

:hearts::bump::shocked:

Kelly

Posted

Wishing you Luck!!!

What make you want to switch?

Jackie :hearts:

Posted

I was getting concerned about the itching from the lexapro, even though I think it would have gone away with time. Also, I was just really tired and knew that cymbalta would bring me out of that. Took a 60mg this morning after having been off of it for over a week and feeling fine. A little nausea here and there, but pretty much fine.

Posted

OK, it's official. Cymbalta worked for both my anxiety and depression. For me, it started kicking in after the three-week mark. After four weeks on it, I was feeling like my old cheeful, non-anxious self again.

:hearts:

CherylW likes this

Posted

Thanks, kitschywoman! I am hoping the longer I am on it, the better I'll get. I feel better when I am taking the cymbalta, but I do still have anxiety here and there. More than I would like, but it's not too bad. I am back to work teaching now, so I have been exhausted this week, but I think it's from work, not the cymbalta. Overall, I like cymbalta. I'm just hoping the anxiety will go away for good. I'm hanging in there.

I've also noticed I've gotten my appetite back....yuck! I'll have to keep an eye on that. :hearts:

Posted

Where is everybody else that's taking cymbalta? How are you all doing?

Posted

Where is everybody else that's taking cymbalta? How are you all doing?

I'm on day 12 and I am doing alright. It has taken a little edge off my anxiety so far and I think it may be helping the depression. The only side effects I'm getting so far are a very dry mouth and appetite loss. I have lost a few pounds with it and that has cheered me up.

But for the anxiety, I think I might need something added, but I don't see the P-doc until mid september.

Posted

Is anyone taking cymbalta mainly for anxiety/panic and not just depression? I just am not sure this is the best med for my anxiety and don't know if something like lexapro would be better. I've taken lexapro before, but it kept making me itch. A start up side effect, I guess. I like cymbalta and the fact it kills my appetite, but I just don't know if it is the best choice for anxiety.

AD,

I switched from Zoloft to Cymbalta, and was on CYmbalta for 4 weeks and back to Zoloft. Cymbalta was just not good for me, actually I felt lots of panic and anxiety attacks during the time. I don't know whether that's because of my issues, or cymbalta was just simply not working for me.

For my attacks my doctor had a mixture of things in my capsule that has Xanax, Frissium, and some other stuff that are usually described for parkinson patients but if you take in in small dosages, my doctor said it helps the mood and the attacks.

So for me, Cymbalta is not for anxiety/panic. Try to talk to your doctor.

DD

ps: what kind of dance do you do, because I'm a salsa dancer myself!