Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Bupropion Xl Vs. Budeprion Xl

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 aggie

aggie

ID: 63102

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:34 PM

Can someone please explain to me the difference between Bupropion XL and Budeprion XL? I understand they are both generic, and from what I've read, it appears to be different manufacturers, but I'm not sure and didn't seem to get a clear explanation from my p-doc.

I'm three weeks into Bupropion XL, started at 150 but as of tomorrow will take 300. I experienced the initial bump for a few days that I read about, where I had energy and started to feel the black cloud lifting. But that didn't last long and now the depression is back full force, I'm weepy and crying and have almost zero energy.

Today was my first follow up with the p-doc. She said she sees this pattern quite frequently, and the fact that I did have that initial bump usually indicates that I am responding to the meds, and the next step is to try increasing the dose to 300. I'm fine with that, because I really want this medicine to work and am willing to wait it out and try, I've heard good things about Wellbutrin for years and really like the fact that it does suppress my appetite a bit and will likely not result in weight gain. But of course I need the depression to lift most of all because I'm miserable and have been for too long! I just want to feel like myself again.

I've been reading a lot about Wellbutrin and the generics since I started. But I'm a bit puzzled today because my doc told me she prescribed Budeprion but I told her the pharmacy gave me Bupropion. She seemed surprised that Bupropion came in XL. She said the difference is that they are "off by one molecule" from each other, which is why they are allowed to make a generic. She said she wasn't particularly concerned at this point because she didn't think there was much difference between the two. I mentioned that I had read that a few years ago there were problems with the release coating in the Budeprion XL, she hadn't heard of that and would look into it, but that in her experience clinically she hadn't seen problems with Budeprion XL.

Anyhow even though she is prescribing me Budeprion I'm getting Bupropion from the pharmacy and that's what I'm taking. I just like to learn as much about whatever I'm taking as I can, especially if I'm having trouble adjusting like now, so any help anyone can provide in helping me distinguish between these is most appreciated. The literature I'm finding online is there but not as abundant and/or clear as I was expecting, it's mostly what I'm finding on various message boards.

Thank you.!

#2 Spiritual_Wanderer

Spiritual_Wanderer

Community Assistant

ID: 57536

• DF Support
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 06:03 PM

Welcome Aggie!

I have never heard of Budeprion XL or read any posts here about it yet. Hopefully, someone will come along and give you some good info and share their experience with you!

I hope you feel better and that this med works for you! You deserve to feel like yourself again and be happy! :)
Many Blessings,
SW
goldenvelope1jr.gif

Not all those who wander are lost. - J.R.R. Tolkien
Don't let the muggles get you down. ― J.K. Rowling

#3 lindahurt

lindahurt

Platinum Member

ID: 53269

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,474 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 06:27 PM

I currently take Wellbutrin XL 300. Bupripion and Budeprion are both generics for Wellbutrin. The names are probably different because of different manufacturers. Though the manufacturers process in making these generics are different, they can be just as effective for many people. However, there are those who don't respond and prefer taking the brand. It depends on the individual as meds effects us differently.

I took Wellbutrin for the longest and I'm now trying the generic bupripion and have found it to be just as effective as the brand name. Its definitely saving me now some extra cash so I don't have to pay the difference.

Give it a try and see how it works. Time will tell and I hope it works well for you.

Lindahurt

Edited by lindahurt, 03 June 2011 - 07:26 PM.

Even in the most horrific of situations, one's attitude has an enormous role in shaping what happens ~ Viktor Frankl
In you lies the power to choose, to commit - Stephen Convey

The kind of person you want to become is greatly influence by your inner decisions, and not from outside influence alone. We can even under adverse circumstances, decide what shall become of us ~ Brian C. Stiller

Posted Image

#4 henrithecat

henrithecat

Silver Member

ID: 49919

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:24 PM

Hi, I take Budeprion and it works fine for me. Compared to taking brand name, I didn't notice a difference. However, I have read some negative posts on this forum about Budeprion so it might just be me. I don't have much experience with Bupropion, I think I took it for like a year a while back and I remember I was angry a lot, but it might have been something other than the meds.
I'm on a roll this time. I feel my luck could change.

#5 aggie

aggie

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 08:47 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies and words of support.

After some more research, I think the distinction is that Bupropion is the active ingredient in Wellbutrin and the generics and that Budeprion is the name for the generic Bupropion made by Teva. Sometimes generic manufacturers give Buproprion a name (such as Budeprion) and sometimes not.

I checked the imprints on my pills, and it looks like my first script for 150 mg with a stamp of A101 is actually Budeprion by Teva. But my new script for 300 mg with a stamp of WPI 3332 is Bupropion made by Watson. Both 30-day supplies were filled at CVS.

If I stay on this med, I'll eventually have to do mail order through Medco, so it will be interesting to see what they end up giving me. Here's to hoping that they will work and switching between manufacturers won't be a problem.

Thanks again!

#6 MsMoon

MsMoon

ID: 63594

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:36 PM

Hi Aggie, I am in the same boat as you. I started on 150mg of Bupropion on May 27th. That first week was so wonderful but this week, my energy level is flagging some. However, my brain is not as fuzzy as it was before I started. I see my doctor again in a couple of weeks and will discuss bumping up to 300mg. It's wonderful to read that someone is going through this experience as well.

Best wishes.

#7 aggie

aggie

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:45 PM

Hi Aggie, I am in the same boat as you. I started on 150mg of Bupropion on May 27th. That first week was so wonderful but this week, my energy level is flagging some. However, my brain is not as fuzzy as it was before I started. I see my doctor again in a couple of weeks and will discuss bumping up to 300mg. It's wonderful to read that someone is going through this experience as well.

Best wishes.

Thanks MsMoon! I'm on Day 4 at 300 mg, and the last two days have been feeling a lot better. Let's hope it sticks! Good luck to you too and please keep me/us posted.

#8 MsMoon

MsMoon

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:39 PM

Well, I am in Week 3 of taking 150mg of Bupropion a day and the honeymoon has definitely worn off. I am back to feeling pretty fatigued and not as sharp as I was. First week was crystal clear and energetic. Last week was a little less so and this week, I feel pretty much like I did before I started. I am not overly concerned though. I have done some reading that indicates that the good effects of the first week can be a sign that in the long run Bupropion will help with my depression.

My doctor told me to come back in a month to see if we need to adjust the dosage and I think we should try 300mg. I may actually try to get in to see her before the month is up.

How are things going with you, Aggie?

#9 lindahurt

lindahurt

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 13,474 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:45 PM

Well, I am in Week 3 of taking 150mg of Bupropion a day and the honeymoon has definitely worn off. I am back to feeling pretty fatigued and not as sharp as I was. First week was crystal clear and energetic. Last week was a little less so and this week, I feel pretty much like I did before I started. I am not overly concerned though. I have done some reading that indicates that the good effects of the first week can be a sign that in the long run Bupropion will help with my depression.

My doctor told me to come back in a month to see if we need to adjust the dosage and I think we should try 300mg. I may actually try to get in to see her before the month is up.

I am on 300XLof Buprprion now and its been working better for me than the 150mgs. It very well may mean that you need an increase so seeing your doctor earlier may be a good idea.

Lindahurt
Even in the most horrific of situations, one's attitude has an enormous role in shaping what happens ~ Viktor Frankl

The kind of person you want to become is greatly influence by your inner decisions, and not from outside influence alone. We can even under adverse circumstances, decide what shall become of us ~ Brian C. Stiller

Posted Image

#10 MsMoon

MsMoon

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:06 AM

I am on 300XLof Buprprion now and its been working better for me than the 150mgs. It very well may mean that you need an increase so seeing your doctor earlier may be a good idea.

Lindahurt

Thanks, Linda. I will call and make an appointment today.

#11 lindahurt

lindahurt

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 13,474 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:05 AM

Thanks, Linda. I will call and make an appointment today.

I am glad to hear that. Best Wishes.

Lindahurt

Posted Image

#12 aggie

aggie

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:43 PM

Thanks for asking. I'm now two weeks at 300, and I've been documenting how I feel every day. The first two days were the same, very tired, low energy and sad. Then things picked up, not dramatically, but for the most part felt like the cloud was starting to lift again. I've pretty much been like that since then. Good days and lower days, mostly depending on how I'm feeling about life and the things that make me sad (breakup from bad relationship that I'm having a hard time letting go of, direction in life) and happy (good times with good friends, and feeling better about current circumstances and future).

So, I'm still hopeful and will stick with it, but not out of the woods yet. Keep me posted on you. :)

Edited by aggie, 17 June 2011 - 07:43 PM.

#13 MsMoon

MsMoon

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:21 PM

Thanks for asking. I'm now two weeks at 300, and I've been documenting how I feel every day. The first two days were the same, very tired, low energy and sad. Then things picked up, not dramatically, but for the most part felt like the cloud was starting to lift again. I've pretty much been like that since then. Good days and lower days, mostly depending on how I'm feeling about life and the things that make me sad (breakup from bad relationship that I'm having a hard time letting go of, direction in life) and happy (good times with good friends, and feeling better about current circumstances and future).

So, I'm still hopeful and will stick with it, but not out of the woods yet. Keep me posted on you. :)

Aggie,
I see my doctor next Tuesday. I'm so glad things are improving for you.. even slow progress is better than nothing.
Thank you so much for your support. I have wonderful friends and an understanding partner but being able to talk through the meds adjustment with someone who REALLY understands is invaluable.

#14 MsMoon

MsMoon

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:25 PM

Update:

I saw my doc on Tuesday and we upped by dosage to 300mg of Bupropion XL. Good timing as I have had to work back to back long days and the energy boost came in quite handy.
So far, it's feeling the same way as the first week on 150mg. I hope the energy is sustained. One of the interesting side effects is that I have turned into quite the chatterbox. :)

#15 aggie

aggie

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:21 PM

My doc upped me to 450 mg today, after 3 weeks of 150 and 3 weeks of 300. Although I had some good days on 300, she said she would have expected it to level off by now if it was the right dose.

So, the first thing we'll try is 450, and I see her two weeks from today. If that's not working, she's thinking of adding a small dose of an SSRI. I took 50 mg of Zoloft for about two years 10 years ago when I experienced my first bout with depression. I did get better, which is why I went off of it. I also gained weight. I don't know if either was due to the Zoloft or not. I really am afraid to gain weight now, but I'm open to the SSRI because I just want to be myself again. So I would just have to be very careful managing it.

#16 The Boo

The Boo

Just Registered

ID: 64176

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:50 AM

I have recently titrated up to 450 Bupropion XL. If I take all 3 in one swallow at 5-6 AM, by lunchtime I am very uncomfortable and anxious. I have been trying 2x150 in the early morning, and the 1 single mid-morning.

I take the Actavis brand Bupropion XL. It seems steadier, but there are still issues with release rate I think. Sometimes I feel frazzled, but lunch usually breaks it.
I tried the TEVA a couple years back when I first started and went with 300 right off the bat. What a mistake...I never adjusted to the Teva, and there are loads of storys on the net about this particular manufacturers version of WB. I see a new Pdoc next month (mine retired), and will ask about other combinations, like 2 XLs AM and 1 regular release mid day.

Interestingly, I am less irritable on 450 vs 300, and ideations are all but gone.

I wish you well on your walk with WB.

b

My doc upped me to 450 mg today, after 3 weeks of 150 and 3 weeks of 300. Although I had some good days on 300, she said she would have expected it to level off by now if it was the right dose.

So, the first thing we'll try is 450, and I see her two weeks from today. If that's not working, she's thinking of adding a small dose of an SSRI. I took 50 mg of Zoloft for about two years 10 years ago when I experienced my first bout with depression. I did get better, which is why I went off of it. I also gained weight. I don't know if either was due to the Zoloft or not. I really am afraid to gain weight now, but I'm open to the SSRI because I just want to be myself again. So I would just have to be very careful managing it.

#17 MsMoon

MsMoon

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:41 PM

Quick update: I've been on 300mg Bupropion for a week now and had a lovely energy boost all last week with some intermittent insomnia that pretty much dissipated by the weekend.

So far this week, I have more energy than the week before and still feel sharper tho not as much as before.

The one thing I have noticed though is that my emotions are intensified. I am feeling everything much more than usual. I guess that may either be a side effect of the meds or the depression lifting.

Work has been hectic and I have had some high stress moments and a bit of anxiety but nothing overwhelming.

My niece, grandniece and nephew are visiting my partner who lives in another state (where I just left because I needed to get back to work) and my feelings of missing all of them are particularly intense today. I think that is, overall, a good thing. But so wild to think that without the meds, I might not have felt it much at all because everything was on dim.

Hope this keeps up!

#18 measles

measles

ID: 66932

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:05 AM

I'm new here, but this is the topic which brought me to this forum so I would like to share my experience. I hope it serves to help someone else...

I have suffered from depression since I was a kid but only accepted meds as an option about 2 yrs ago at age 29. It was my first year of grad school and I'm a single mom. I had knee surgery right when I started and basically the stress kicked my butt. I truly believe in the relationship between physical and mental health now!!! Anyhow, This was worse than any depression ever. I felt so distant from the experiences I was living and I knew this was something worse than what I'd ever been through. My doctor started me on Buproprion 150mg and when I came back a week later because I was still in such a dense fog, she put me on Zoloft for a more immediate effect.

Lesson #1 I learned: It may take several weeks for you to begin to feel the effects of Buprioprion. All I can say is HAVE FAITH and hang in there. It was soooo frustrating to me because my life was going at 100 miles per hour and I just wanted to be able to keep on top of things but I couldn't. It took me a long time to pull completely out of the fog, but the buprop. helped. (As a side note, 5 months and 50 pounds later I came off the Zoloft and since then have used Buproprion as my primary meds.)

Lesson #2 I learned: It may take a while to find the best dosage for you. This was also frustrating because once you're on it, it takes a while for your body to adjust to or reflect a change in dosage. My doses were fairly low (100 to 150 mg per day; 200 per day at the most in the beginning) but there were times when it went up, came down, I went off it, etc. in the first year or so. The best thing to do is pay close attention to what your body tells you and
communicate with your doc about how you feel. My depression has a very strong seasonal element to it (SAD) which is worsened by the fact that where I live we can go from summer to winter in less than a week and back again...anyhow, I am now on 150 mg extended release per day nin the winter months and 100 mg per day in summer months because my energy level skyrockets during the spring.

Lesson #3 I learned: NOT ALL GENERICS ARE THE SAME. This is what I truly believe, and this is why: This spring when I switched down to 100 mg, the doc prescribed me Budeprion instead of Buproprion, which I have been on for 2 years. I was told it was the same thing, and didn't worry too much. Summer started great...I had finished grad school and was spending almost every day outdoors during the month of June. My energy levels were great as I was soaking up all that sun and I felt better than I had ever felt before. Once we got into the second week of July, the temps hit 100 degrees every day so I stayed indoors more often. I started feeling down but attributed it to being out of work for the first time in years. Then I was getting the yucky feeling in my stomach that comes with being "off balanced" (usually a sign I need to adjust my meds dosage)...then, over the past two weeks I got blind-sided with a horrible drop in my mood. I started feeling anxious and depressed. I was sleeping less and eating more. It got to the point that my body was almost as sick as my mind was...so I called the doc and she decided to up me to 150 mg again...but this time it was Buproprion, not Budeprion. After ONE DAY I feel like a different person. The cloud lifted immediately. This makes me very suspicious of Budeprion. I just don't think it's right for me.

If my doc prescribes it again, I WILL NOT go back on Budeprion. It takes so much energy out of me to get back on track when I feel my mental health is derailed...it also sapped my energy so my job search has not been as productive as it should have been. I feel sometimes like those days and weeks are stolen from me, but I have also learned to focus on the positive so I see it as an opportunity to grow stronger. :)

Lesson #4 I learned (last one for this post!): Meds alone cannot defeat depression, but they can help. Like I said, I used to be opposed to medication for depression. I thought I just needed to learn to deal with things properly. Then I realized this is a MEDICAL problem...it has real chemical and biological causes (I did also grow up in an abusive household, and I know this also fed into it) and medicine can help. But learning to LOVE your body and mind enough to treat it well is also key! Eat healthy food, for it gives you the energy you need. Fatty or junk foods only weigh you down. Be active. Stop making excuses and start making time for it, because you deserve to be healthy!! Your body and mind can handle stress better when you are, and excercise releases endorphins which boost your mood. When I feel off balance, my brain sometimes tells me to reach for chocolates or potato chips or a glass of alcohol to give me the boost I need, but a bunch of grapes or 20 min. in the pool gives me that boost and prevents the yucky feeling that comes from putting toxins in my body. On this issue, I do feel like my blood sugar needs a boost throughout the day when I'm on these meds. If you are the same, make sure you have good, healthy sugars on hand (like orange juice or grapes) instead of unhealthy ones (like candy or soda pop). That way when you just absolutely need a kick, you can have a healthy one!

Anyways, I know it's long but I hope it helps!! I know I am always succeptible to falling off the happy train so while I am on it I will do my best to be aware of what works for me and share it with others. Blessings to all!! xox

#19 Aimz

Aimz

ID: 5363

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 11:23 PM

What I know is that the generally perscribed generic for Welbutrin changed in 2010. I noticed the pills looked different and by the end of the week, I was seriously depressed as if I hadn't been taking anything. I talked to the pharmacist and did some research and found out a different manufacturer was making the generic. As people said above, not all generics are the same. I had to start using the brand name Welbutrin, and I was back on track. I pay about $30 more a month, and my mail order drugs refuse to give me the 90 day supply, but I have no other option, because the generic formula made in 2009 is no longer available. Sorry, I can't remember which one was Bupropion and which one was Budeprion, but I do know one was discontinued in 2009. I recommend trying the brand name for awhile if you are finding that the generic is not, or no longer effective.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users