Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Experiences Of Taking Cipralex

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Brick

Brick

ID: 62850

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:42 PM

Hi,

Notes on my personal observations of taking Cipralex.

-Dr. prescribed 10 mg / day but 5 /mg for first week "to reduce chance of side effects". I didn't listen and took 10 mg right away

- first dose was on a very warm day but I felt like the heat wasn't affecting me. The 2nd day this effect did a 180 and I felt the heat more than I should have. From then on my body's 'thermostat' seemed to be turned toward cold. Cold temps were less bothersome, but would feel hot and sweaty at any warmth. Perhaps I should move up north ;-)

- random occurences of nausea lasting about 15 minutes each, several times a day but for first 3 days only.

- zero interest in sex, almost impossible to have an orgasm. This gradually improved to near normal after two months.

- slightly 'spacey' feeling for about half hour after taking the pill ( this dissapeared after the first week ).

- first night, woke up in the middle of the night, wide awake.

- second night also work up, but this time I was a aware of an odd occurrence that seemed to be what was awakening me : for a second or two, it seemed like I heard a jumble of noises and voices, saw lights, and my body seemed to twitch. This happened each night for about a week, and gradually stopped happening after that.

- the Cipralex seemed to have a very slight effect towards constipation and insommia. Basically i just made a point of eating a bit more fiber and exercising as needed to ensure that I was tired enough to fall asleep.

- in the first month, woke up covered in sweat many times. This effect faded by approx second month.

- in the first month I had three 'panic attacks', which I did not have before. These did not occur again after the first month.

- also in the first month, often had excessive yawning.

- after approx four to six weeks started to feel benefical effects, reduction of anxiety and depression. Noticed that a lot of routine 'aches and pains' disappeared or became less bothersome. Became more energetic, had more appreciation of the tastes of food and drinks, felt generally 'better'.

- I had a mental pattern of repeatedly thinking self-destructive or negative thoughts before starting Cipralex. These thoughts continued, however after about a month the thoughts became, ummm, unemotional - they didn't have any emotional impact or resonance with me. After another month, the thoughts mostly faded away.

#2 LaurynJcat

LaurynJcat

ID: 62596

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,502 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 01:24 AM

Thanks for posting. I'll be starting this med soon so hope it works for me.
"Be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here."
- William Ehrmann, from "Desiderata."  

"Nothing you ever did or that was ever done to you could touch, even in the slightest, the radiant essence of who you are."
- Ekhart Tolle, from _The Power of Now_.    Posted Image   Posted Image

#3 Barak

Barak

Advanced Member

ID: 49786

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:11 AM

Hi,

-Dr. prescribed 10 mg / day but 5 /mg for first week "to reduce chance of side effects". I didn't listen and took 10 mg right away

- first dose was on a very warm day but I felt like the heat wasn't affecting me. The 2nd day this effect did a 180 and I felt the heat more than I should have. From then on my body's 'thermostat' seemed to be turned toward cold. Cold temps were less bothersome, but would feel hot and sweaty at any warmth. Perhaps I should move up north ;-)

- random occurences of nausea lasting about 15 minutes each, several times a day but for first 3 days only.

- zero interest in sex, almost impossible to have an orgasm. This gradually improved to near normal after two months.

- slightly 'spacey' feeling for about half hour after taking the pill ( this dissapeared after the first week ).

- second night also work up, but this time I was a aware of an odd occurrence that seemed to be what was awakening me : for a second or two, it seemed like I heard a jumble of noises and voices, saw lights, and my body seemed to twitch. This happened each night for about a week, and gradually stopped happening after that.

- the Cipralex seemed to have a very slight effect towards constipation and insommia. Basically i just made a point of eating a bit more fiber and exercising as needed to ensure that I was tired enough to fall asleep.

- in the first month, woke up covered in sweat many times. This effect faded by approx second month.

- in the first month I had three 'panic attacks', which I did not have before. These did not occur again after the first month.

- after approx four to six weeks started to feel benefical effects, reduction of anxiety and depression. Noticed that a lot of routine 'aches and pains' disappeared or became less bothersome. Became more energetic, had more appreciation of the tastes of food and drinks, felt generally 'better'.

- I had a mental pattern of repeatedly thinking self-destructive or negative thoughts before starting Cipralex. These thoughts continued, however after about a month the thoughts became, ummm, unemotional - they didn't have any emotional impact or resonance with me. After another month, the thoughts mostly faded away.

Is Cipralex the same exact drug as Lexapro?

#4 Brick

Brick

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 10:25 PM

Hi,

Is Cipralex the same exact drug as Lexapro?

Hi,

I believe that Cipralex and Lexapro are different trade names of the same drug ( someone correct me if I'm wrong ).

Couple of points I did not mention:

Headaches -- these are like tension headaches that occur suddenly but only last a few minutes. I had these a few times per day for the first month, more like once a day since then.

Blood pressure -- dropped from 145/90 to 135/85.

#5 Brick

Brick

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:52 AM

Minor update : I've been taking 20 mg now for two weeks. I was a little concerned that the dosage increase could restart the side effects that occurred when first starting the medication, however there were no problems. The increase was very beneficial to mood etc, I'd say that I feel "normal" now. One minor success story -- Friday night i went to a dinner / dance, this wasn't a big thing but i enjoyed being there and meeting people and so on. I don't recall feeling like that for many years.

#6 lindahurt

lindahurt

Platinum Member

ID: 53269

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,474 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:55 AM

Minor update : I've been taking 20 mg now for two weeks. I was a little concerned that the dosage increase could restart the side effects that occurred when first starting the medication, however there were no problems. The increase was very beneficial to mood etc, I'd say that I feel "normal" now. One minor success story -- Friday night i went to a dinner / dance, this wasn't a big thing but i enjoyed being there and meeting people and so on. I don't recall feeling like that for many years.

Thanks for the update. I am happy for you that there has been an improvement in your mood and your med is working for you. Glad you had a wonderful time and wish you continues success.

Lindahurt
Even in the most horrific of situations, one's attitude has an enormous role in shaping what happens ~ Viktor Frankl
In you lies the power to choose, to commit - Stephen Convey

The kind of person you want to become is greatly influence by your inner decisions, and not from outside influence alone. We can even under adverse circumstances, decide what shall become of us ~ Brian C. Stiller

Posted Image

#7 anastasiabeeverhausen

anastasiabeeverhausen

ID: 18945

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:58 AM

i tried citralopam.

day 3 - manic bouncing off the walls
day 5 - reduced to 10mg from 20mg
2 weeks later - dont ask me what happened i dont know. had to come off it

evil drug

but everyone is different

#8 cokes

cokes

ID: 28793

• PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:23 AM

Yep everyone is different I had no problem with cipralex at all. Yet drugs like Aripiprazole (Abilify) that do wonders for some was useless for me.

#9 Spiritual_Wanderer

Spiritual_Wanderer

Community Assistant

ID: 57536

• DF Support
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:19 AM

I've been on Lexapro for 3 months now. Month 1: 10mg, then up to 20mg
I had very little side effects and felt good results right away.
The SE I had were: jaw clenching, yawning, tiredness (especially when first increasing to 20mg).
Very minor heachades and nausea.

I love this drug. It has almost completely taken away my irritability and helps me sleep better. My anxiety and obsessive thinking/worrying is better too!

I still have days where I feel down, but overall - way better!
Many Blessings,
SW
goldenvelope1jr.gif

Not all those who wander are lost. - J.R.R. Tolkien
Don't let the muggles get you down. ― J.K. Rowling

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users