Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Bipolar Unspecified

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DaKrazy1

DaKrazy1

ID: 8799

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:11 PM

Hello,

So for the longest time I have been diagnosed with depression, but was finally diagnosed with bipolar diagnoses unspecified because I've had three medically induced episodes of hypomania, on Paxil, Abilify, and on Xanax Xr. I also seem to respond better to mood stabilizers and medications commonly used to treat bipolarism. My mood goes up and down, not like in a hyopmanic and depressed way, but more low and high, but mostly low and right now and I am in a depressed state. All of this made my doctor give me the diagnosis bipolar unspecified and I was wondering if there's anyone else out there with the same diagnosis?

#2 lindahurt

lindahurt

Platinum Member

ID: 53269

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,474 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:41 PM

I suffer with bipolar I but my first diagnoses was depression and then later on received the diagnoses of bipolar 1. During the course of this time by pdoc and psychologist observed bipolairsm.

I am familiar with the meds you are on and thinks its a good combo. I hope that it will continue to work well for you. I don't know how long you being on this combo but it may take a little more time for you to start experiencing the full benefits.

Lindahurt
Even in the most horrific of situations, one's attitude has an enormous role in shaping what happens ~ Viktor Frankl
In you lies the power to choose, to commit - Stephen Convey

The kind of person you want to become is greatly influence by your inner decisions, and not from outside influence alone. We can even under adverse circumstances, decide what shall become of us ~ Brian C. Stiller

Posted Image

#3 sad one

sad one

Just Registered

ID: 63554

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:11 PM

Hello,

So for the longest time I have been diagnosed with depression, but was finally diagnosed with bipolar diagnoses unspecified because I've had three medically induced episodes of hypomania, on Paxil, Abilify, and on Xanax Xr. I also seem to respond better to mood stabilizers and medications commonly used to treat bipolarism. My mood goes up and down, not like in a hyopmanic and depressed way, but more low and high, but mostly low and right now and I am in a depressed state. All of this made my doctor give me the diagnosis bipolar unspecified and I was wondering if there's anyone else out there with the same diagnosis?

My psychiatrist says I have bipolar schizoaffective, but my counselor calls it bipolar unspecified.

#4 msanjelpie

msanjelpie

ID: 63579

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:29 PM

There are five major types of bipolar depression and each has a fairly specific description and set of symptoms. They are:

Bipolar Disorder I – you typically have had at least one known incident of mania/mixed mood and (in some cases) depression. You have normal moods in between episodes and seasons may affect your swings.

Bipolar Disorder II - you typically have had at least one known incident of hypomania (a mild form of mania) and depression. You have normal moods in between episodes and seasons may affect your swings.

Cyclothymic Disorder – you may go between mild forms of depression and mania (in the form of an elevated mood). The swings are short and mild but can progress to a more severe bipolar disorder.

Rapid Cycling Bipolar Disorder – you have four or more incidents of mania, depression or both during the course of a year.

Unspecified Bipolar Disorder – you do not fit into any of the major types of bipolar depression categories. Your moods may be similar to or very different from what is described therein.
-----------------

Read the descriptions... if you don't feel that any of them fit your moods, then Unspecified is the way to go... It is not a negative diagnosis.

Edited by msanjelpie, 08 June 2011 - 02:34 PM.

Female/ 48 / Rapid Cycling Bipolar Disorder
Prozac, Lamictal, Klonopin, Ativan, Ambien, Buspar

Don't take life so seriously... It isn't permanent

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users