Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

How Do You Deal With "brain Zaps"?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 jen274

jen274

Just Registered

ID: 62868

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 01:12 PM

Hi everyone,

For those of you who got "brain zaps" coming off of Cymbalta, how did you deal with them? I stopped taking Cymbalta 5 days ago, with my doctor's approval, after almost one year of being on 30 mg/day, and started experiencing brain zaps last night. It's not *horrible*, but it is definitely unpleasant :boredsmiley: Any suggestions?

#2 Teddy545

Teddy545

Gold Member

ID: 62510

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 02:41 PM

Taking fish oil and B-12 supplements helps. I think they will stop after about 3 days.

I can only give answers I found for myself.  Please ignore my bad writing. 

#3 Tim 52

Tim 52

Platinum Member

ID: 51914

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,145 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 03:14 PM

jen:

Some doctors prescribe a very short term prescription of prozac because it has a longer half life. And therefore helps the brain adjust.

I've also read other posters here saying keeping hydrated with water might help.

They will go away.

Do check in with your doctor if they continue.

Tim

goldenvelope1jr.gifInformation supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor. 

#4 henrithecat

henrithecat

Silver Member

ID: 49919

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 03:19 PM

Get plenty of sleep, and try to go with it. You get pretty used to the zaps after a few days in my experience. Try to avoid making sudden movements especially turning your head quickly.

-htc
I'm on a roll this time. I feel my luck could change.

#5 Ashen

Ashen

ID: 26596

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 03:20 PM

In my experience they just went away after a few days. I wouldn't worry about it too much, but if they last for a long time or are very distressing to you, then you should talk to your doctor about it.

Edit: I don't know how the brain zaps are for someone who is tapering off. I stopped taking my meds completely, and all at once.

Edited by Ashen, 24 May 2011 - 03:21 PM.

If I had just a little bit of wisdom
I should walk the Great Path and fear only straying from it.

#6 PoeticProse

PoeticProse

Gold Member

ID: 62484

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 03:35 PM

Hello,

Did your doctor just tell you to quit cold turkey? Cymbalta's half life is rather short, so withdrawal symptoms do not take as long to occur as with some other medications. I'm sure these withdrawal symptoms will disappear shortly.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Edited by lindahurt, 24 May 2011 - 04:35 PM.

PoeticProse
realize what you have, and all you could lose

#7 BetterOff

BetterOff

Platinum Member

ID: 50382

• Platinum Member
  • 4,232 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 04:29 PM

Hello, well I have to agree with the others, the brain zaps will diminish and go away pretty quickly. I had a strange occurance in that after the first week of being off cymbalta, I had a short intense brain zap, that went away fairly quickly with a mild anti-anxiety pill, then a week later a second far less intense brain zap and finally a week after that I had one more that was very slight in intensity... after that nothing at all. The first one scared me, the second was so less intense it didnt bother me as much, the third one I felt was pretty slight and I said to myself that this was probably the last of them and it was....

Edited by BetterOff, 24 May 2011 - 04:32 PM.

Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#8 jen274

jen274

Just Registered

ID: 62868

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:57 AM

Thanks for the advice, everyone! The zaps haven't gotten any worse, and I think they may have tapered off a little bit. My doctor had me stop the medication basically cold turkey, but with a refill available to taper off more slowly if the side effects turn out to be too much to handle or go on for too long.

#9 Tim 52

Tim 52

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 3,145 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:12 AM

jen

Glad they aren't any worse. They will go away. My hope for you is that they will go away very soon.

tim

goldenvelope1jr.gifInformation supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor. 

#10 boomroasted

boomroasted

Just Registered

ID: 63032

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:06 PM

Hi Jen! i'm almost brand new here, but from my experience dealing with SSRI discontinuation can be extremely brutal but at the same time, slightly rewarding. I hope you soon find a new equilibrium and return to a once happier self! I read on another forum that taking benadryl will help, and after some research (I know Wikipedia can't exactly be trusted on everything but)-

Mechanism of action
Diphenhydramine works by blocking the effect of histamine at receptor sites. This results in effects such as the increase of vascular smooth muscle contraction, thus reducing the redness, hyperthermia, and edema that occurs during an inflammatory reaction. In addition, by blocking the H1 receptor on peripheral nociceptors, diphenhydramine decreases their sensitization and, as a consequence, reduces itching that is associated with an allergic reaction, making it a popular choice for treatment of the symptoms of allergic rhinitis, hives, motion sickness, and insect bites and stings. It is also the reason many opioid users combine diphenhydramine (or other antihistamines) to counteract the histamine-induced itching, which is a common side-effect of opioids.

Like several other first-generation antihistamines, diphenhydramine is also a potent competitive antagonist of muscarinic cholinergic receptors, and, as such, at high doses can cause anticholinergic syndrome.

In the 1960s, diphenhydramine was found to inhibit reuptake of the neurotransmitter serotonin. This discovery led to a search for viable antidepressants with similar structures and fewer side-effects, culminating in the invention of fluoxetine(Prozac), a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI). A similar search had previously led to the synthesis of the first SSRI, zimelidine, from brompheniramine, also an antihistamine.

Now Prozac came into being after this discovery (don't quote me on that!). And I know it might seem counter productive to take a drug that acts very similarly to Cymbalta..but it's not the same! and for temporary relief, it works. Godspeed! :D

Edited by Trace, 27 May 2011 - 07:56 AM.
Links removed as per TOS

#11 Badsummer

Badsummer

ID: 61111

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:20 AM

Can someone explain to me what a brain zap is? I am just starting to ween off of Cymbalta and you guys are scaring the crap out of me...lol

#12 Kim1969

Kim1969

ID: 59165

• PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 05:37 AM

I think you will know it when it happens! I didn't find it horrible or scary. It's an interesting feeling that went away over a few weeks of tapering.

#13 Tim 52

Tim 52

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 3,145 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 11:37 AM

Can someone explain to me what a brain zap is? I am just starting to ween off of Cymbalta and you guys are scaring the crap out of me...lol

Bassummer:

Brain zaps are a (let's see if I can describe this) are a zinging feeling in the brain that some of us experience while on anti-depressants or even more likely while discontinung them, particularly ssri's and ssni's.

It is a disconcerting zing or zap or almost jolt like feeling. It is, I'm almost sure, harmless in the long run. But it is kind of strange and can be upsetting because it feels strange. It really doesn't hurt as much as it is just a wierd feeling at the moment (this is my experience).

If one is slowly tapering, that will definitely lower the chances of having the brain zaps. And many doctors can coach you through the discontinuation process in a positive way that will lessen many of the side effects of the withdrawal process.

They are upsetting. But they are not horrible in terms of damaging anything in our brain.

Does this help?

tim

#14 Badsummer

Badsummer

ID: 61111

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:08 AM

Bassummer:

Brain zaps are a (let's see if I can describe this) are a zinging feeling in the brain that some of us experience while on anti-depressants or even more likely while discontinung them, particularly ssri's and ssni's.

It is a disconcerting zing or zap or almost jolt like feeling. It is, I'm almost sure, harmless in the long run. But it is kind of strange and can be upsetting because it feels strange. It really doesn't hurt as much as it is just a wierd feeling at the moment (this is my experience).

If one is slowly tapering, that will definitely lower the chances of having the brain zaps. And many doctors can coach you through the discontinuation process in a positive way that will lessen many of the side effects of the withdrawal process.

They are upsetting. But they are not horrible in terms of damaging anything in our brain.

Does this help?

tim

Thank you very much Tim! I appreciate the explanation. I haven't had anything like this and I am pretty sure I am in the clear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users