Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Effexor Xr Night Sweats?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 afraidtolive

afraidtolive

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 11:18 PM

Has anyone had night sweats on Effexor XR? I've been on it about 3.5 weeks and recently went up in dose from 3.5 mg to 75 mg. I wake up in the night and the whole back of my head is usually damp with sweat, but the rest of my body seems pretty dry. It's weird. Anyone have a similar experience, and does it go away??
"One ceases to recognize the significance of mountain peaks if they are not viewed occasionally from the deepest valleys."

#2 PoeticProse

PoeticProse

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 11:50 PM

Hey there,

I don't take Effexor, but I have heard that many SSRI's and SNRI's do this. I've taken Cymbalta for about two years, and I occasionally have night sweats. At first I figured it was just an activation side effect, and that it would eventually go away; for the most part, it has, but there are nights I wake up drenched. Most antidepressants increase the chance of overheating, which causes your body to compensate by sweating and other thermoregulation mechanisms. With your dramatic increase in dose, it's possible that your night sweats are a temporary effect. You don't seem to be terribly worried about it, as I wouldn't be either. If it continues or becomes intolerable, talk to your doctor. I would wait atleast 2-3wks for your body to accomodate the daily 75mg dose.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted.
PoeticProse
realize what you have, and all you could lose

#3 zenmama

zenmama

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:30 PM

I had awful night sweats on Zoloft, waking up just soaking wet, at least once a night. Waited it out for a few weeks and switched meds when it didn't go away. Went to effexor after that which worked out fine.

Basically, if it helps and the side effect is tolerable, stick with it; if it's really bad and doesn't ease up, check with the doc about other options.

Good luck! :)

#4 Helium

Helium

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 02:30 PM

Has anyone had night sweats on Effexor XR? I've been on it about 3.5 weeks and recently went up in dose from 3.5 mg to 75 mg. I wake up in the night and the whole back of my head is usually damp with sweat, but the rest of my body seems pretty dry. It's weird. Anyone have a similar experience, and does it go away??

I´m currently taking 300 mg of Effexor XR and I didn´t experience such thing. Side effects for me palliate over time. Are you taking anything else?
"I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?"

— Ernest Hemingway

#5 TrueAriel

TrueAriel

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 01:05 PM

Hi
I've just started taking Effexor and i know where you're coming from with the sweats. It doesnt happen every night to me but when it does its strange because its winter where I am now. I also have terrible twiching and extremely vivid dreams which scare me sometimes. Does anyone know if this will stop?

#6 Tim 52

Tim 52

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 01:18 PM

TrueAriel:

These start up effects are troublesome. But there is a every reason to believe that they will subside in due time.

tim

Edited by Tim 52, 04 June 2011 - 01:19 PM.

goldenvelope1jr.gifInformation supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor. 

#7 afraidtolive

afraidtolive

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 08:06 PM

Thanks everyone, and no I am not taking anything else. I seem to overheat easier since taking Effexor, but thankfully I'm not sweating horribly every night. I too get twitches sometimes and my dreams have been more unsettling lately. Hopefully these things will pass soon.
"One ceases to recognize the significance of mountain peaks if they are not viewed occasionally from the deepest valleys."

#8 Tim 52

Tim 52

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 11:39 AM

Thanks everyone, and no I am not taking anything else. I seem to overheat easier since taking Effexor, but thankfully I'm not sweating horribly every night. I too get twitches sometimes and my dreams have been more unsettling lately. Hopefully these things will pass soon.

Our bodies do tend to adjust.

Keep us posted.

Tim

Edited by Tim 52, 05 June 2011 - 11:39 AM.

goldenvelope1jr.gifInformation supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor. 

#9 Want2Bhealthy

Want2Bhealthy

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 04:37 PM

My doctor took me off a high dose of effexor because every night the bed was soaking wet and I was freezing cold. I am only 150 mgs. of effexor along with 200 mgs. of zoloft, neither of which is working for my anxiety. I felt a lot better on the higher dose of effexor but the sweating was unbelievable. Do you think I should have stayed on it and would the sweats go away eventually. I felt I was almost my old self on the higher dose effexor except for this problem. I am not sure what my doctor will suggest next.

#10 Cornishynay

Cornishynay

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 05:02 PM

I've been on it for about three months (75mg, twice daily) and wake up absoulutley drenched and freezing cold! It doesnt happen every night, but when it does it is horrible.... I also get the really horrible dreams. My doctor implied that it was just something to be 'put up with' if the anti-depressant was working... but now the side effects are effecting a lot and I seem to be responding to the drug less and less. Really not sure what to do :unsure:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users