Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Niacin (Vitamin B3)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 anhedonistica

anhedonistica

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:26 PM

Has anyone had any experience with supplements of this vitamin in treating their depression?

#2 Teddy545

Teddy545

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:45 PM

Not that one in particular but every time I've gone to the hospital it turned out I had a weird vitamin deficiency. I think as long as you don't take too much it won't hurt.

I can only give answers I found for myself.  Please ignore my bad writing. 

#3 BetterOff

BetterOff

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,232 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:05 PM

Niacin is for your cholesterol, its suppose to lower the bad cholesterol and raise the good cholesterol but I never heard of it being good for depression, my pdoc said that its good to take a vitamin B complete complex tablet would help, but it didnt... dont overdue the mgs or you will get some nasty side effects.
I looked at the bottle and I was taking 3000 times a normal daily dose, so now I just nibble on a vitamin b complex, probably only getting 30 times a daily dose requirement, any more and I get shakey and nervous....
Lecithin is suppose to be good for the brain also...
so that sums up my pdoc advice, lecithin, b-complex and also algae oil, not fish oil, but algae oil is good also... so my pdoc says but I dont put much value into vitamins for depression.... just for your general health.
hope this helps...
Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#4 Tomatheus

Tomatheus

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:03 AM

anhedonistica,

I've tried three different types of niacin. When I took regular niacin, I experienced an extremely uncomfortable flushing sensation after I took my first tablet and didn't want to take the supplement anymore because of the extreme discomfort that I felt. If the regular niacin had any effect on my depressive symptoms, it wasn't very robust. I've also taken niacinamide and inositol hexanicotinate, which are both flush-free forms of niacin, and I would recommend both over regular niacin. As expected, neither the niacinamide nor the inositol hexanicotinate caused the flushing that I experienced on regular niacin, and both the niacinamide and the inositol hexanicotinate temporarily relieved my depressive symptoms. Unfortunately, the antidepressant benefits that I noticed from taking niacinamide and inositol hexanicotinate only lasted for a day, so taking either version of niacin into the long term was not helpful for me.

Perhaps others here have had different experiences with niacin supplements. I do know that the flushing reaction that I experienced from taking regular niacin is fairly common, but other than that, I don't know to what extent my responses to niacin supplements can be generalized to the population at large. I wish you luck with niacin supplements if you decide to take them.

Tomatheus

Has a psychotic disorder with strong chronic fatigue symptoms

Taking Abilify and several supplements

#5 anhedonistica

anhedonistica

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:35 PM

anhedonistica,

I've tried three different types of niacin. When I took regular niacin, I experienced an extremely uncomfortable flushing sensation after I took my first tablet and didn't want to take the supplement anymore because of the extreme discomfort that I felt. If the regular niacin had any effect on my depressive symptoms, it wasn't very robust. I've also taken niacinamide and inositol hexanicotinate, which are both flush-free forms of niacin, and I would recommend both over regular niacin. As expected, neither the niacinamide nor the inositol hexanicotinate caused the flushing that I experienced on regular niacin, and both the niacinamide and the inositol hexanicotinate temporarily relieved my depressive symptoms. Unfortunately, the antidepressant benefits that I noticed from taking niacinamide and inositol hexanicotinate only lasted for a day, so taking either version of niacin into the long term was not helpful for me.

Perhaps others here have had different experiences with niacin supplements. I do know that the flushing reaction that I experienced from taking regular niacin is fairly common, but other than that, I don't know to what extent my responses to niacin supplements can be generalized to the population at large. I wish you luck with niacin supplements if you decide to take them.

Tomatheus

Thank you for this knowledgeable response. Very helpful.

#6 robinkhean

robinkhean

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:55 AM

I've been taking MX Omega 3 Fish Oil, an omega 3 supplement for 1 month now. So far i don't feel any bad/side effects of taking to relieve my depression.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users