Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Cymbalta and Suicidal Thoughts

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 HerbalMaxx

HerbalMaxx

Advanced Member

ID: 88

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 06:46 PM

I've been on Cymbalta for a bit over a month and a half. I've heard conflicting reports on how long it takes to kick in. My Doc says perhaps 8 to 10 weeks. But thats besides my question here. I'm wondering if others have had an increase in suicidal thoughts? They've been plaguing me more and more lately. Has anyone else had this problem? If this keeps up I know I'm in for another hospital stay. Cymbalta also fails on another level as well. Its suppose to reduce pain in Fibromyalgia. I'm not sure if I'm just going into another flair up, but it hasn't done a thing to reduce pain for me. A dangerous combo in conjunction with suicidal thoughts. I'm not sure whether to hang in there a bit longer, or dump it.

Any thoughts welcome here.

Just an FYI about my other meds -
Fentanyl 75 micrograms / hr
Seroquel 600 mg
Valium as needed
+ assorted others as needed

:-) Max
In a dream I woke and found myself in life. It flashed before my eyes like a story from long ago. Filled with pain, and tears, and love, and joy. I wished I could wake, but dreamed on. Then before I knew it the dream was over. Now I sleep, wishing to wake again.

DF member since Oct 01

#2 Jkm

Jkm

ID: 28

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 07:01 PM

I worked with so many suicidal people in the past that I think about them having suicidal thoughts, but i guess i think about it, too. It's kind of a fleeting thought as I'd never try it, but i can't say it's worse on CYmbalt. I also take neurontin for the flares and stiffness, so you may want to try this combo. I know the Fibro can sink your spirits really fast when it's acting up, so it's a suggestion.

If you don't think the cymbalta is going to work, what will you try, next?

I hope you don't act on this suicidal thought. It's part of the depression, but does not have to be a part of how you react ot it. I usually acknowledge that I'm having a negative thought and try to find something to take my mind off of it. You know the depression is causing it-- don't react to the depression. Ask for another med if you think this one isn't going to work. No reason to tough it out and feel completely lousy. There are plenty of other meds on the market.

My Mother is on Lyrica for leg pain and cramping and she says it even took some of her back pain away, so when I get insurance, I'm going to try that, next. (Plenty of other meds to try.)

Personally, I'd wait a couple of weeks....... I know it's hard...... :hearts:

Jackie :bump:
Posted Image

I have GAD. I worry about everything, lol!

#3 lymom3

lymom3

Advanced Member

ID: 6067

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 10:00 AM

Cymbalta was the worst medication that I've ever taken. I've never had suicidal thoughts before but I sure did on that medication. I stopped it soon thereafter and haven't had a problem with that since.
Never give up on yourself. Tomorrow is always another day and with another day there is hope.

#4 quietCherub

quietCherub

Silver Member

ID: 442

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 02:53 PM

Have you felt any benefits from the cymbalta yet? I'm trying to remember when it really kicked in for me. I know pretty much immediately...well after all the nausea the first week or so, it really helped my anxiety. But you might not have anxiety issues. I remember it seemed to kick in realatively quickly...but I found that cymbalta worked best on my anxiety while wellbutrin worked best on my depression, so I combined both and it has been working great so far. Been 6 mo or so I think. I didnt notice an increase in suicidal thoughts with it, but if you are, be careful. Don't act upon it! :) Have you told your doctor? Even if you don't feel like you will actually do it, it might be good to have someone checking in on you.

Maybe a combo would work for you? Are there other meds you have tried?
Trying to save myself, but my self keeps slipping away...

#5 Viviane

Viviane

Silver Member

ID: 5697

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 03:28 PM

I have often read on the paitient information that comes with various meds that it is a slight possibility that any anti depressant can induce increased suicidal thoughts and it always advises you to seek medical advice

I am sure that the thoughts wil lessen if this is asatrt up effect :)

#6 Wattle

Wattle

ID: 5652

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 01:56 PM

I was on Cymbalta for about 8 weeks, it was without doubt the worse 8 weeks of my life. I could not eat anything, I had to force myself to drink water as that made me feel ill as well. I was feeling suicidal a lot of the time, I couldn't sleep even though I was on Tamezepam and Ativan at night, my anxiety was out of this world. I ended up as an inpatient, the day after I stopped Cymbalta I felt a lot better, I was able to eat and drink, and the anxiety eased down to manageable levels again.

I have met people that get on real well with Cymbalta, but it certainly didn't suit me

Phil Watson

#7 Martin P.S.

Martin P.S.

ID: 1951

• PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 06:34 PM

It´s been 8 months already since i started. It worked out really well, and it does, when you are feeling good. But i have a problem with suicidal thoughts too. Today it´s been the third time this year that i wanted to swallow all those medications and see if i die.
I notice that it wasn´t like that on effexor all the time, so maybe you are wright.

THe reason why i still haven´t tried it is because i don´t know if it would work. Does anyone know what are the overdose symtoms? I want to know what would happen to me if i take, let´s say 10 or 20 capsules.

Where will it get me?

#8 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 08:01 PM

Martin, It sounds like your depression is outweighing the effects of the Cymbalta, so call your doc and tell them it isn't working for you anymore.

Depression lends its self to suicidal thoughts, but when you have a plan, you're in big trouble. No doubt that these meds would have some real bad effect on your liver if taken in high doses.

Remember that your perception gets messed up when you are depressed. There are about 27 other meds you can try. I've had bad reactions to meds, too. The first thing to do is call the doc and get your meds changed.

We don't want to see anyone suffer on meds. Now with increased symptoms, side effects, or physical reactions. Nor does your doc. He has a responisibility to treat you in your best interest. You are the consumer and know when you meds aren't working. Your responsibility is to tell him your symptoms and let him know the meds aren't working. We want you to take care of youself. Can you do this for us?

Jackie
Posted Image

#9 kevv729

kevv729

ID: 5600

• PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 08:30 PM

I have only had one suicidal time so far on Cymbalta. I have been on it since March 8, 2006. When I was on Paxil in 2000 I became very suicidal then. Some medications can react differently in people and if You are having suicidal thoughts on any type of medication You are taking You should get with You doctor. I was a living hell when I was on Paxil in 2000. Nobody should not have to go thru what I did it was quit a painful time for Me. Even being on Cymbalta I said I had one suicidal time but it came a went and I was able to move on from it. It was not also as serve as being on Paxil back then either.
That is My Pearls of Wisdom.

#10 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 09:24 PM

I went through the pits of hello years back. I know how it effected me. I just thought about it for days and couldn't get off the sofa. My doc wanted to put me in the hospital. I was on elavil and it didn't do anything. I got off the meds and went out and got a job. Work is therapeutic for me. Takes my mind off the bad stuff.

I know what you are saying. If antidepressants made you more depressed, it's hard to find a med. Is it just ssris or all of them that do this?

Jackie :hearts:
Posted Image

#11 HerbalMaxx

HerbalMaxx

Advanced Member

ID: 88

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 03:08 PM

My Doc took me off the Cymbalta. I went back to Paxil since it works somewhat ok for me. So hopefully....
Cymbalata also didnt reduce my fibro pain either. Maybe just having a flair up, but my other doc increased my Fentanyl patch from 75 mcg/hr to 100 mcg/hr.

Thank for the replies, hope those using it works for them.

Max
In a dream I woke and found myself in life. It flashed before my eyes like a story from long ago. Filled with pain, and tears, and love, and joy. I wished I could wake, but dreamed on. Then before I knew it the dream was over. Now I sleep, wishing to wake again.

DF member since Oct 01

#12 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 02:19 PM

I did real well on Paxil in the past. I hope you have the same great results! :hearts:

Jackie :bump:
Posted Image

#13 sober4life

sober4life

Gold Member

ID: 6941

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 03:21 PM

My mom takes this and it seems like she's much more depressed and crying a lot. She's suicidal sometimes too. She has fibromyalgia as well and it's made it worse for her not better. She wants off the meds but the doctor said he wants to give it a little more time to work which is rediculous!

#14 Viviane

Viviane

Silver Member

ID: 5697

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 09:23 AM

It may seem ridiculous -BUT some of these meds do take some time (4-8) weeks to reach a theraputic level. and some also make anxiety worse at first as well

How long has your mum been on the meds and what dosage - I assume if her doc wants her to give the meds a bit longer she is having regular meds reviews - which is really good

just try to be there for her - until the meds kick in :)

#15 sober4life

sober4life

Gold Member

ID: 6941

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 11:25 AM

She started taking them recently but it's been more than 8 weeks. I don't know the dosage. She never talks about that stuff.

#16 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 11:37 AM

I have fibro, too and that was the main reason I asked my doc to put me on Cymbalta. Your poor Mom!!

I don't have the horrible flares that a change of weather can bring on. Other than that i think it covers the anxiety real wel, but does nothing for pain and cramping. Maybe she can see her medical doc for something along with the Cymbalta like Lyrica or Neurontin to cover the rest of her symptoms. I don't think this is going to be an easy road for her. Even Motrin can cover some of the symptoms. I was suing Icy Hot yesterday as my shoulder was about setting me over the edge.

I'd think that if it was going to work, she'd have some relief by now. I went from Lexapro to Cymbalta in a week and raised the dose to 60mg., and had to go to 30mg. twice a day till I could handle it. I know it makde me feel crummy for awhile, especially my stomach.

Is your Mom mostly depressed, or in pain?

Jackie
Posted Image

#17 mamaholler

mamaholler

Just Registered

ID: 10272

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 04:40 PM

I was given cymbalta to help with migraine pain.

It was the WORST!

I was nearly hospitalized for depression and had no prior history to it. I was on cymbalta for eight months but started noticing feeling lonlier than I'd ever felt after about one month. I felt that it was chemical, but my dr. assured me that it could not be caused by the medication. By the eighth month I was unable to care for myself, my children and completely hopeless and suicidal.

They rapidly withdrew me from the medication. I have been fine ever since. This was four years ago.

Awful stuff.

#18 naraya

naraya

Just Registered

ID: 52681

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:53 PM

I was put on cymbalta by my GP and that was the worst time of my life. I constantly have this feeling of wanting to die and ended in emergency with intentional overdose. I was admitted to emergency psychiatry twice in a month and was detained by the hospital cause i was a threat to myself. Once i was taken off this med, i felt better almost immediately. Now im on a different antidepressant but i have no suicidal thoughts since i stopped taking cymbalta.

#19 Tigereyes

Tigereyes

ID: 51773

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:46 PM

Wow. I am so sorry for all of you who've had such bad experiences with cymbalta. That's awful!

Personally, I've been on 20mg for 2 weeks and am doing much better. My dose has just been increased to 30mg. I had hardly any side effects, either.

I don't understand how the same medication can be so horrible for some, yet so helpful for others?? (I asked my pdoc today, if it's uncommon for someone like myself to not do well on SSRIs but do well on SNRIs and he said it's about 50/50.)

I recall now having suicidal thoughts when I was on effexor, and I hadn't told my pdoc. But they were strange...it was suicidal thoughts/plan without actually wanting to go through with it. Just sort of popped into my head and popped right back out a few times. I wonder if that's common. And it was actually a different scenerio than my actual attempt 10 years ago. Now I'm concerned that's going to happen on cymbalta, being another SNRI. But I guess it's a good thing that I'm scared.

Edited by Tigereyes, 16 September 2010 - 08:48 PM.

#20 unreal23

unreal23

ID: 52313

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 12:13 PM

I am on day 7 of Cymbalta 30 mg and no suicidal thoughts so far (crossing fingers). I worry reading all your experiences though. So far, only this awful feeling of tiredness, apathy and sleeplessness rolled into one! Moving to 60 mg tomorrow. I have had suicidal thoughts sometimes, but am way too scared to act upon them. Maybe I would if there was a surefire, painless way to go about it but maybe not. Odd as it seems, I worry who will take care of my poor dog if I am not here!

#21 shade5555

shade5555

ID: 56123

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:06 AM

My thoughts weren't suicidal per se, but for a couple of weeks, whenever I would pass Drain-O, bleach, or chemicals of any kind I'd feel compelled to drink them. I never did, but it definitely scared me, and had it not gone away I'd have been off the drug asap.

#22 mipinky

mipinky

Just Registered

ID: 61045

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:13 PM

:boredsmiley: I have always been a fun lovin person never on anything or in therapy....all of a sudden job stress caused me to having confusion scared to be alone nightmares...my doc put me on cymbalta 30 mg...i have been fine on it for 3 months up until a 6weeks ago...i started to feel like I was alone no one cared and then wanted to take my car and drive it into a brick wall or tree or off a bridge or wanted to cut my arms but i still knew it would be wrong so would never do it...at this time I would accuse my live in bf of cheating even though we never go anywhere without each other this was everyday for almost a month it was horrible because the thoughts were with me every minute of the day... I felt nuts so i stopped the meds cold turkey that was 3 days ago no thoughts and I feel whole again...until today where i feel like my head is being crushed but I am assuming that is withdrawel...has anyone experienced this?

#23 subrosali

subrosali

Just Registered

ID: 68147

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:21 PM

Well I've been on Cymbalta for almost a month now. I had been on 100mg Zoloft, but I appeared to have built up an immunity. This Cymbalta is scaring me, and I don't scare easily. I can't tell you how many intense, fleeting impulses I've had to hurt myself! It's insane and totally out of characteristic for me. And then I sob uncontrollably after the impulse passes. I'd like to try to hang on for another few weeks, but truthfully, I fear I may be one of those who can't tolerate SNRIs and I'm afraid of what will happen.

Edited by lindahurt, 12 September 2011 - 09:55 PM.

#24 lukn4hope

lukn4hope

ID: 58523

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:43 AM

I was taking Cymbalta when I had a very serious suicide attempt that landed me in the hospital. Now, I can't necessarily blame the Cymbalta for that suicide attempt because I was going through an incredibly stressful time in my life, but the point is that Cymbalta did nothing to stop it. I also felt mentally and physically unwell when it took it. At the hospital, they immediately took me off Cymbalta and put back on Celexa and I did much better. I would say that Cymbalta was the worst AD that I ever took, and I would never consider taking it again.

I understand that some people do well on Cymbalta, but I was just one of the unlucky ones.
Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. The information provided by me is intended purely for entertainment purposes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users