Advertisement

Scheduled Maintenance:

Please be aware that depressionforums will be down for a short period beginning from 02:00 EST (07:00 GMT) on Sunday 21st December for necessary maintenance. We apologise for the inconvenience and it should only take about 45 minutes.

• No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Do You Ever Hear Music In Your Head

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

#1 WorkingTowardsaBetterLife

WorkingTowardsaBetterLife

ID: 57543

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:06 AM

Does anyone else experience this, hearing music in your head? I am glad this forum is anonymous, and supportive, because sometimes I wonder about myself. The more I am aware of my moods I realize I hear a few different songs in my head when I feel manic. They are always heavy metal or punk rock tunes I listened to as a late teen. They just come and go. I never tell anyone about them. About the only saving grace is I don't hear voices, LOL. No offense to anyone that does truly. I just feel like I am losing it sometimes and I just wish I could go back to a world of pretend and denial. I know I need to tell my therapist and PDOC this, but I am paranoid about telling them this. Sometimes self -realization can be a very painful mirror.

I almost told my therapist today, but I don't know her that well and frankly I do suffer from paranoia, not all the time. I know a lot of fears are irrational, but they are still there. I fear that if I really told my PDOC/ Therapist the truth they may hospitalize me. I guess I am fortunate in that I can fake a normal/happy face in public well when inside sometimes I feel deeply troubled inside.

Just curious anyone else diagnosed Bipolar that suffers from paranoia and music playing in their head from time to time? I just do my best to ignore it and go on about my day, which I can do most of the time.

#2 adnair

adnair

Just Registered

ID: 61941

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:54 AM

Hi there

I thought I have the same, but I can not really say that it is in my head. It is so real that I would sometimes walk to the hi fi to see if I switched it off. Not rock tunes though...it is like tunes made by diffirent instruments...it is very scary, but then I decided to make friends with the tunes...as they only happen in the shower anyway...hehe...I dont know if I should be doing something about it, but for now, I get a song everyday...I am so glad to hear I am not the only one...

Does anyone else experience this, hearing music in your head? I am glad this forum is anonymous, and supportive, because sometimes I wonder about myself. The more I am aware of my moods I realize I hear a few different songs in my head when I feel manic. They are always heavy metal or punk rock tunes I listened to as a late teen. They just come and go. I never tell anyone about them. About the only saving grace is I don't hear voices, LOL. No offense to anyone that does truly. I just feel like I am losing it sometimes and I just wish I could go back to a world of pretend and denial. I know I need to tell my therapist and PDOC this, but I am paranoid about telling them this. Sometimes self -realization can be a very painful mirror.

I almost told my therapist today, but I don't know her that well and frankly I do suffer from paranoia, not all the time. I know a lot of fears are irrational, but they are still there. I fear that if I really told my PDOC/ Therapist the truth they may hospitalize me. I guess I am fortunate in that I can fake a normal/happy face in public well when inside sometimes I feel deeply troubled inside.

Just curious anyone else diagnosed Bipolar that suffers from paranoia and music playing in their head from time to time? I just do my best to ignore it and go on about my day, which I can do most of the time.

#3 Trace

Trace

Platinum Member

ID: 10376

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,085 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 05:11 AM

Hi danielsaun

I do not have bipolar, but I love music and I always have music running through my mind, I even have music in my dreams. I honestly don't think that it is anything to be worried about. I think it is quite pleasant actually.

Trace
Listen in deep silence. Be very still and open your mind.... Sink deep into the peace that waits for you beyond the frantic, riotous thoughts and sights and sounds of this insane world. - A course of miracles.

True beauty must come, must be grown, from within.... - Ralph W Trine.

Posted Image

#4 Spiritual_Wanderer

Spiritual_Wanderer

Community Assistant

ID: 57536

• DF Support
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:27 AM

I am not bipolar, but sometimes I have actually HEARD music that isn't really playing. It's faint, and I can never make out the words or tune really, sometimes it seems like voices are singing, sometimes not, and I can never really make it out clearly. I don't know if it's from some kind of ear damage or an imbalance of perception of sound waves....?

I wouldn't worry about it too much!

:hearts:
Many Blessings,
SW
goldenvelope1jr.gif

Not all those who wander are lost. - J.R.R. Tolkien
Don't let the muggles get you down. ― J.K. Rowling

#5 WorkingTowardsaBetterLife

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:18 AM

Thanks for all the replies and support. With me its distinct I know the songs and only seems to come on when I believe I am experiencing mania. I guess I shouldn't worry about it so much. I tend to obsess and worry about a lot of things.

#6 DarkRain

DarkRain

Platinum Member

ID: 17621

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,864 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:10 AM

Whenever I wake up in the morning it's like my brain automatically turns on the music player and I get to listen to a song as I wake up. Usually it's whatever I was listening to last night. It's quite nice.
"There is some good in this world Mr. Frodo and it's worth fighting for."

"I will not say do not weep, for not all tears are an evil."

"My friends are my power! And I'm theirs!"

Posted Image

#7 anxiousdude

anxiousdude

ID: 56550

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:16 AM

While I'm not bipolar, I do hear music in my head almost constantly. I like it, except when trying to concentrate in a quiet environment. I hear songs that don't even exist and I write my own music. I'm a guitar player and song writer so it does benefit me. I also get lots of songs that I know from existing artists that play in my head, however sometimes the songs are ones I've never heard and a tune gets going and I have to start tabbing the song and writing the lyrics down.

#8 wacko

wacko

ID: 7454

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:40 PM

when i had hypomania i had those problems was just bad, listen of believe to be listening some music.

#9 ManMoth

ManMoth

Just Registered

ID: 57473

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:24 PM

I have BP1 and have auditory hallucinations when I'm in psychosis either from mania or severe depression. I hear classical music most often--Bach, Vivaldi and Beethoven and occasionally Chopin, Satie and Debussy.

#10 WorkingTowardsaBetterLife

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:29 PM

I takes time to accept yourself, and I am getting used to hearing the music without much effect. Let's hope that a my full dose of Lamictal it will be non-existent.

#11 megusta

megusta

ID: 62479

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 04:02 PM

I am bipolar and when I hear music, its usually an indicator of how I feel at he momment. I don't about your listening habits but I like everything. And when I hear the exact song I am feeling at that momment in time I get a chill down my entire body.

Playing music in your head isn't a bad thing as long as it doesn't take precedent over what you are doing at the time. If that's the case its definatly something you should bring up to someone who can give you help,

#12 Liliah

Liliah

Silver Member

ID: 50342

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:00 AM

Hey,

So, recently I started hearing music in my head that was ot playing anywhere beside from my brain. It's a pretty good song acutually; on an organ. It is not circus-like in nature (which I think would be totally horrifying), but almost like seriously beautiful blues. The only time I hear it is when I am in bed and it is very late. I assume it might be a side effect of my sleep meds (I take four, but am mid-experiment on one on them). Does anyone else has this happen to them? At a particular time of day? It's strange and it doesn't happen every night, but the thing is cranking away right about now.

I've been diagnosed with severe clinical depression, borderline personality disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder, and post traumatic stress syndrome. I hope there's not another diagnosis coming down the pike. Am I just scaring myself? It is not a symptom of any of my illnesses, though it is typically during periods (like now; it's 5am) of chronic insomnia.

So, what do you think?

Sincerely,
Liliah

#13 Helium

Helium

Community Assistant

ID: 44830

• DF Support
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 06:31 PM

Im not in the bipolar espectrum, but I hear music in my head all the time. Everytime I pick a new tune or something, it always linger in my head. I dont think it is something abnormal, and at times, it helps me to focus on it when Im really anxious. Sorry Im not very helpful.
"I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?"

— Ernest Hemingway

#14 elevenoceans

elevenoceans

Advanced Member

ID: 12831

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 07:02 AM

I had paranoia but never heard music or words in my head. I hope you get better soon. I also try to not talk in public about the bipolar disorder because few people understand it.

#15 emz

emz

ID: 9111

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:34 PM

Hi all, I don't actually know if I'm bipolar, it has been suggested. I have been on AD's for about 12 years due to severe anxiety and it seems that whenever I start taking my medication or start coming off my medication I get music stuck in my head. This can be music from anywhere, a car radio, tv etc and a song will just get stuck in my head and it will be there all day, to the point where I want to boil my head just to make it stop. I feel like this is always a lot worse when I'm going through a 'bad patch' when I'm maybe more stable it doesn't tend to happen, so is this mania???? AD's have never really worked for me and friends have all suggested bipolar and that maybe im being treated for the wrong thing. I guess I'm scared, way too scared to speak to my doctor about it as I feel like I will be classed as a hypochondriac!!! I still have severe anxiety and feel like I'm in a never ending circle and won't ever get better, a lot of what I've read on here about bipolar seems to be very familiar with how I feel.

#16 WorkingTowardsaBetterLife

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:52 AM

Its been a challenging and exciting month for me. I was hired for a good paying job in outside sales, but my stress level has gone through the rough. My mania got so bad at one point I was hoping someone would provoke a fight so I could get violent, luckily no one did. When I feel that way, manic, angry songs from my youth play in my end from nowhere, but now I know to read it a flashing warning sign. My wife left me for a month to visit relatives and I was getting so depressed and lonely that I started having auditory hallucinations, hearing sound that aren't there. I was imagining hearing skype ring so someone would call me but when I checked it wasn't there, the ringing. This was very scary. The last time this happen I went fully manic and had a breakdown. At that time I just wanted to attack the source of these hallucinations. Its better for now since my wife came home. I am taking my meds, Lamictal, exercising, and meditating. I really worry that at the recent times I should have sought help from someone at the ER, but then I am doomed, I will be fired since I am probationary. I know they can't do that, but in real world of high unemployment they can find a way.

It disgusts me to no end that I know the right thing to do in the current moment, I just can do it. I really feel like at times I am in some mood that I am aware of but just can't control. I went ballistic on my wife last night telling her how I thought she abandoned me, that it was just too much, me that is. Wow when I told her about the hallucinations she didn't take it well, but I thought she should know, give her a better understanding of why I may be acting in this cold detached way to her at times.
  • CrazyDad likes this

#17 WorkingTowardsaBetterLife

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:57 AM

Hi all, I don't actually know if I'm bipolar, it has been suggested. I have been on AD's for about 12 years due to severe anxiety and it seems that whenever I start taking my medication or start coming off my medication I get music stuck in my head. This can be music from anywhere, a car radio, tv etc and a song will just get stuck in my head and it will be there all day, to the point where I want to boil my head just to make it stop. I feel like this is always a lot worse when I'm going through a 'bad patch' when I'm maybe more stable it doesn't tend to happen, so is this mania???? AD's have never really worked for me and friends have all suggested bipolar and that maybe im being treated for the wrong thing. I guess I'm scared, way too scared to speak to my doctor about it as I feel like I will be classed as a hypochondriac!!! I still have severe anxiety and feel like I'm in a never ending circle and won't ever get better, a lot of what I've read on here about bipolar seems to be very familiar with how I feel.

In the US what you tell a doc or pdoc is confidential unless there is an imminent threat to you or yourself. I think you should tell them the truth. I think you should get a proper eval from a pdoc to see. If you google search there are some online test you can take to get some idea if maybe you are. If you are BP, taking AD's is generally considered a no no as they blast you into mania, that what celexa did for me.

When I told my primary doc I had self injured to relieve stress she was shocked.

#18 purplehalo

purplehalo

ID: 46246

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:09 AM

I often get a tune stuck in my head. I think most people do. It doesn't feel uncomfortable but.. a few years ago I tried prozac for depression for the first time. While in the start up phase I got a few nights where I could not get a song out of my head and it was like it was boring through my brain... I researched it as I had little else to do during those two nights but listen to the constant boring through my brain :D... People with OCD often complain of tunes being stuck in their heads in an uncomfortable way. It went off after a few days but I wondered if the de regulation of serotonin had caused temporary ocd symptoms.
It would be an idea to tell your pdoc what's happening. Hes not going to judge you or lock you up for it. Most of them just see symptoms as chemicals and if its irritating you might just need a serotonin tweak.

#19 emz

emz

ID: 9111

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 12:59 PM

Guys thank you so much for your support I will go back to the doc this week as I feel awful plus my relationship is suffering terribly which is adding to my general anxiety. Thanks for your advice I'm sure I will be back to leave an update xxx
  • mkrooks1 likes this

#20 UnionFan

UnionFan

ID: 63515

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:48 AM

I do. It's not super loud, just at a distance. Kind of as if it were on the radio in the next room. Especially when I'm manic. On the other side, when i'm depressed I hear what sounds like would be arguing which is muffled and can't make out words. Like if someone downstairs was watching tv. It happens, it's not a huge deal. Can be a little annoying and actually some meds are good at putting a stop to it.

#21 Dave80

Dave80

ID: 69408

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 01:30 PM

I used to play the violin and I like classical music. I wanted to write music at one point, and sometimes I still hear music in my head when I'm having a better day.

#22 Omega Man

Omega Man

ID: 31365

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:47 PM

I have it happen occasionally, it's very distinct and not like when I get a song stuck in my head, sounds like its playing in the next room. Oddly, it's usually songs I would never listen to. All sorts of genres. As far as I know, it's original. If IV oils play guitar better I could transcribe them, they are complete songs, full band/orchestra.

Seems its a known experience by the medical community and different than schizophrenia: http://www.nytimes.c...?pagewanted=all
  • Omega Man likes this
"I should have taken the Blue pill"

#23 CrazyDad

CrazyDad

ID: 100241

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:34 AM

Its been a challenging and exciting month for me. I was hired for a good paying job in outside sales, but my stress level has gone through the rough. My mania got so bad at one point I was hoping someone would provoke a fight so I could get violent, luckily no one did. When I feel that way, manic, angry songs from my youth play in my end from nowhere, but now I know to read it a flashing warning sign. My wife left me for a month to visit relatives and I was getting so depressed and lonely that I started having auditory hallucinations, hearing sound that aren't there. I was imagining hearing skype ring so someone would call me but when I checked it wasn't there, the ringing. This was very scary. The last time this happen I went fully manic and had a breakdown. At that time I just wanted to attack the source of these hallucinations. Its better for now since my wife came home. I am taking my meds, Lamictal, exercising, and meditating. I really worry that at the recent times I should have sought help from someone at the ER, but then I am doomed, I will be fired since I am probationary. I know they can't do that, but in real world of high unemployment they can find a way.

It disgusts me to no end that I know the right thing to do in the current moment, I just can do it. I really feel like at times I am in some mood that I am aware of but just can't control. I went ballistic on my wife last night telling her how I thought she abandoned me, that it was just too much, me that is. Wow when I told her about the hallucinations she didn't take it well, but I thought she should know, give her a better understanding of why I may be acting in this cold detached way to her at times.

I have a very similar problem. I hear music in my head all the time. I am constantly drumming my fingers to it, which drives people crazy. Sometimes I have to put on headphones with a different song to tune it out. Also, my wife asked for a divorce three months ago, told me she just wanted to be friends, but has since changed her mind to try to work it out. (we have 5 kids) But when I am manic/hypomanic, I am paranoid and critical, and I'm sure you know what depression is like too. NO fun! I am trying to keep it together, both professionally and personally, but it is so hard. It's tiring to expend so much energy trying not to let people see that I am crazy! So far only my family, and all the people my wife told while she was upset with me know, but it's getting harder to hide it. I am in college and my classmates are starting to avoid me. I am struggling to do the work. I stopped my meds when she asked for the divorce, and have started on a different medication. (the last one had many and terrible side effects for me) But the new one is terrible. It's not helping.

#24 starla1979

starla1979

ID: 88831

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:56 PM

I'm reminded of that phrase 'Music calms the savage beast'. There's no music at my work, I always have a song in my head but i find music so calming it's addictive. When i'm at work, I keep subconsciously noting the absence of music. I listen to it constantly at home. I'll drive a song into the ground playing in on repeat over and over, then i get burned out on it and feel frustrated until I find some new music that feels refreshing again. :)

#25 ao111

ao111

ID: 107706

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

Sometimes when I lay down to sleep at night I hear "music" in my head. It's never a typical song either but rather just noise like drums or guitar that plays the same rhythm over and over. Makes it very hard to fall asleep. 

#26 melpointy

melpointy

Silver Member

ID: 490

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

Thanks for all the replies and support. With me its distinct I know the songs and only seems to come on when I believe I am experiencing mania. I guess I shouldn't worry about it so much. I tend to obsess and worry about a lot of things.

12 years plus for me.  I am bipolar but I have the music almost daily and at bedtime so I listen to soothing music to sleep.  Sometimes I am okay with the music other times it is irritating to hear a part of the tune of a song over and over.  I am a Christian and even hearing the same song over of that irritates me.

Anyways....I feel like this was triggered by a certain med I took 12 years plus ago...I could be wrong??  Never had it till I started antidepressents....in the SSRI class

It may have something to do with "mania" but I have been in a depressed spell and I still hear the music...had therapy for it didnt help.  I think in a way its a subconsious way to cover emotions??  I found the more you fight it the worse it gets.

"We work hard at convincing ourselves that the world is the same way as it was as a child.  We justify that our protective behavior is necessary because as kids we were wounded.  The problem is that through this process we recreate the wounding."  Van Joines Phd.

#27 Tom Barrister

Tom Barrister

Just Registered

ID: 109115

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

I don't have a depression-related disorder,

Having music play in the background in your mind is a normal phenomena that many people experience.  Often a segment of a tune will play in my mind for hours or even days at a time.   I'm not even aware of it most of the time.  Generally the music changes as I'm exposed to other music in real life.  This has been going on as long as I can remember (at least back to age 6), so it isn't anything to worry about.

#28 anger danger

anger danger

ID: 81374

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

I don't have a depression-related disorder,

Having music play in the background in your mind is a normal phenomena that many people experience.  Often a segment of a tune will play in my mind for hours or even days at a time.   I'm not even aware of it most of the time.  Generally the music changes as I'm exposed to other music in real life.  This has been going on as long as I can remember (at least back to age 6), so it isn't anything to worry about.

What about when your brain constantly cues up depressing songs that make you think of ending your life? Or the opposite, cues up songs that bring out the rage inside you. Is that normal... I think not.

Edited by anger danger, 13 February 2013 - 02:10 PM.

#29 solarwinds

solarwinds

ID: 109053

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

I get something similar as well, I am not sure if I am Bi-Polar as such, I am not even sure how one knows if they are but I do get this. When I hear music however I don't understand or recognise it, it is not a tune I could whistle or even describe but I know it is there. I also know as soon as it comes on it will send me down a spiral so I have to really concentrate not to let it get to me. Does anyone else get the same thing?

#30 Tessar

Tessar

Silver Member

ID: 96409

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

I love music. I'm lucky enough that we can use headphones at work when doing mundane work like filing & copying. Sometimes when i am most down, stressed or depressed, I might play the same track over and over and over....... Like maybe for an hour or two. I find that therapeutic. I'm sure that someone classified as "normal" would probably tell me that is unusual behaviour. But then what is normal exactly? It's all down to your own personal preference.
When it comes to music I might hear that is in my head and not being played to me, yeah I get that. Sometimes it'll be me playing the fav. tune of the moment mine over and over , singing or humming it to myself. That's probably therapeutic too.
The only time I don't like it is when it is an annoying song that I detest, one that's hard to get shot of.
Also sometimes if I am very stressed or especially running a temperature, I get very intense, vivid dreams which are repetitive, same short snap of a dream going over and over. Often this is accompanied by music or words that go round and round and round. Again this is very irritating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users