Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Flexeril -- Insomnia "Magic Pill"

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bird2E

Bird2E

• PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 10:52 AM

After years and years of trying all of the traditional sleep aids - med and non-med -- and not finding any that worked very well, I have "backed into" a wonderful sleep aid. It's Flexeril, or the generic Cyclobenzaprine. It was prescribed it about 6 weeks ago for back pain and muscle spasms, and it knocks me out cold! With no weird Paxil-induced dreams, no feeling of falling down the rabbit hole (like Ambien did), no anxiety attacks in the middle of the night, and I can get a good 6-7 hours on it. And I'm sure if I would make myself go to bed earlier, I could maybe even make it to 8 or more. I have been in a sleep-cycle disruption mode for 12 years.... I am naturally a night-owl (used to go to bed at 5AM, and get up at noon), then my last job I had to be there at 7:30. So now I still want to be a night owl, but got so used to getting up so early that now I do both.

My doc says it induces better REM sleep, but if I do dream, I sure don't remember them. I do get a bit groggy mid morning, but if I keep busy it goes away. I don't notice any other SE's. Another good thing is that even though I sleep deeply, I am not a zombie and can be wakened fairly easily, and fall back to sleep pretty quickly. Thunderstorms only wake me if they're really loud, and I can sleep through my husband's sleep-apnea-induced-wall-shaking snoring (Yay!!), I almost always have to get up for a potty break around 2 or 3, but zonk right back out. The facts sheet says it is not really addictive but only should be taken short-term. I don't care, I will stay on it forever because it's worth it! :hearts:
Bird

It is only when we silent the blaring sounds of our daily existence that we can finally hear the whispers of truth that life reveals to us, as it stands knocking on the doorsteps of our hearts.  ~K.T. Jong

I have had a long, long time to come, finally, to the conclusion that I and only I have control of my mind, soul and body. I CAN and have overcome a lot of (poo-poo caca) to get here and every single second has been worth it.

#2 KeepingAwake

KeepingAwake

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 11:02 AM

Bird2E,

You need to follow your doctor's directions with Flexeril. It is not meant to be taken long-term nor as a sleep aid. It can also not be taken with many types of antidepressants.

KA

Edited by KeepingAwake, 23 June 2006 - 11:03 AM.

Beliefs Aren't Etched in Stone... Unless Your Brain is Made of Rock

#3 Lindsay

Lindsay

Forum Super Administrator

• Super Administrators
  • 15,139 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 06:10 PM

Flexeril
Cyclobenzaprine (sye kloe BEN za preen)

What is the most important information I should know about Flexeril?
Do not stop taking Flexeril suddenly if you have been taking it regularly for more than 1 week. This may cause nausea, headache and general discomfort.
Use alcohol cautiously. Alcohol may increase drowsiness and dizziness while you are taking Flexeril.

What is Flexeril?
Flexeril is a muscle relaxant. It works by blocking nerve impulses (or pain sensations) that are sent to your brain.
Flexeril is used to relieve pain, tenderness, and limitation of motion caused by muscle spasms. It is used, along with rest and physical therapy, for short-term treatment (i.e., 2 to 3 weeks).
Flexeril may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.

Who should not take Flexeril?
Do not take Flexeril if you
have recently (within the last 6 weeks) had a heart attack,
have irregular heartbeats,
have a heart block,
have heart conduction disturbance,
have congestive heart failure, or
have hyperthyroidism that is not under control.
Before taking this medication, tell your doctor if you have
urinary retention or
narrow-angle glaucoma or increased intraocular pressure (pressure inside the eye).
You may need a lower dose or special monitoring during treatment if you have any of the conditions listed above.
Flexeril is in the FDA pregnancy B. This means that it is unlikely to harm an unborn baby. Do not take Flexeril without first talking to your doctor if you are pregnant.
It is not known whether Flexeril passes into breast milk. Do not take Flexeril without first talking to your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.

How should I take Flexeril?
Take Flexeril exactly as directed by your doctor. If you do not understand these instructions, ask your pharmacist, nurse, or doctor to explain them to you.
Take each dose with a full glass of water.
Flexeril is usually taken several times a day. Follow your doctor's instructions.
You should begin to notice relief from your symptoms after 1 to 2 days of treatment.
Do not stop taking Flexeril suddenly if you have been taking it regularly for more than 1 week. Stopping suddenly may cause nausea, headache, and general discomfort.
Store Flexeril at room temperature away from moisture and heat.

What happens if I miss a dose?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the dose you missed and take your next regularly scheduled dose. Do not take a double dose of this medication.

What happens if I overdose?
Seek emergency medical attention.
Symptoms of a Flexeril overdose include drowsiness, seizures, irregular heartbeats, hallucinations, and difficulty breathing.

What should I avoid while taking Flexeril?
Use caution when driving, operating machinery, or performing other hazardous activities. Flexeril may cause dizziness or drowsiness. If you experience dizziness or drowsiness, avoid these activities.
Use alcohol cautiously. Alcohol may increase drowsiness and dizziness while you are taking Flexeril.

What are the possible side effects of Flexeril?
If you experience any of the following serious side effects, stop taking Flexeril and seek emergency medical attention:
an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of your throat; swelling of your lips, tongue, or face; or hives);
seizures, hallucinations, or confusion;
blurred vision;
increased heart rate; or
depression.
Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. Continue to take Flexeril and talk to your doctor if you experience
drowsiness or dizziness;
dry mouth or a bad taste in your mouth;
insomnia;
difficulty urinating; or
sweating.
If you stop taking this medication suddenly, you may experience some withdrawal effects.
Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.

What other drugs will affect Flexeril?
Do not take Flexeril if you have taken a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) such as isocarboxazid (Marplan), phenelzine (Nardil), or tranylcypromine (Parnate) in the last 14 days. Dangerous side effects could result.
Many drugs can increase drowsiness associated with Flexeril:
antihistamines such as brompheniramine (Dimetane, Bromfed, others), chlorpheniramine (Chlor-Trimeton, Teldrin, others), azatadine (Optimine), clemastine (Tavist), and many others;
narcotics (pain killers) such as meperidine (Demerol), morphine (MS Contin, MSIR, others), propoxyphene (Darvon, Darvocet), hydrocodone (Lorcet, Vicodin), oxycodone (Percocet, Percodan), fentanyl (Duragesic), and codeine (Fiorinal, Fioricet, Tylenol #3, others);
sedatives such as phenobarbital (Solfoton, Luminal), amobarbital (Amytal), and secobarbital (Seconal);
phenothiazines such as chlorpromazine (Thorazine), fluphenazine (Prolixin), mesoridazine (Serentil), perphenazine (Trilafon), prochlorperazine (Compazine), thioridazine (Mellaril), and trifluoperazine (Stelazine); or
antidepressants such as doxepin (Sinequan), imipramine (Tofranil), nortriptyline (Pamelor), fluoxetine (Prozac), paroxetine (Paxil), sertraline (Zoloft), phenelzine (Nardil), and tranylcypromine (Parnate).
Do not take any of the drugs listed above without the approval of your doctor.
The stomach medicine cimetidine (Tagamet, Tagamet HB) and pain relievers such as aspirin, ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil), indomethacin (Indocin), ketoprofen (Orudis, Orudis KT, Oruvail), fenoprofen (Nalfon), flurbiprofen (Ansaid), naproxen (Aleve, Anaprox, Naprosyn), and nabumetone (Relafen) may all increase the pain-relieving effects of Flexeril. Use these drugs under the supervision of your doctor.
Drugs other than those listed here may also interact with Flexeril. Talk to your doctor and pharmacist before taking any prescription or over-the-counter medicines.

Where can I get more information?
Your pharmacist has additional information about Flexeril written for health professionals that you may read.

Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.
Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Cerner Multum, Inc. ('Multum') is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. Multum information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States and therefore Multum does not warrant that uses outside of the United States are appropriate, unless specifically indicated otherwise. Multum's drug information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy. Multum's drug information is an informational resource designed to assist licensed healthcare practitioners in caring for their patients and/or to serve consumers viewing this service as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. Multum does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
http://www.drugs.com/
Copyright 1996-2003 Cerner Multum, Inc. Version: 3.02. Revision Date: 2/14/03.

Birde, Hi!

I take flexeril on an as needed basis...It works well for when I am totally flared up from certain muscle pain and then I only take it for a few nights. I am very groggy in the am after taking it the night before. :hearts:
Wishng you well.

Be Well....

~Lindsay ღ , Forum Super Administrator
Founder, depressionforums.org

Forum Super Administrator
DF member since June 2001 goldenvelope1jr.gif  

----
"I cannot make my mark for all time...those concepts are mutually exclusive.
"Lasting effect" is a self -contradictory term.  Meaning does not exist in the future, nor do I.  
Nothing will have meaning, "ultimately."
Nothing will even mean tomorrow what it did today.  Meaning changes with the context.  
My meaningfulness is in the here and now. It is enough that I may be of value to someone today.
It is enough that I make a difference now."  ~Lindsay    

Hotlines

kumanomi.gif

#4 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 07:23 PM

I only wish! My family doc told me I'm too little for the dose and that I'd have to get it from my orthopedist. I can't afford to see him, so I'm between a rock and a hard place. I know it works really well and lets your muscles relax so you can get restorative sleep. My ortho guy put me on Sinequan years ago for the same reason. Pain and sleep don't mix.

Jackie :hearts:
Posted Image

I have GAD. I worry about everything, lol!

#5 Bird2E

Bird2E

• PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 08:31 AM

I only wish! My family doc told me I'm too little for the dose and that I'd have to get it from my orthopedist. I can't afford to see him, so I'm between a rock and a hard place. I know it works really well and lets your muscles relax so you can get restorative sleep. My ortho guy put me on Sinequan years ago for the same reason. Pain and sleep don't mix.

Jackie :bump:

Jackie,

Even though they aren't scored and have a coating, I wonder if your doc could give you a few samples and see if you could tolerate just one half? I'll bet they taste nasty (re: the coating), but if it's something that works it would be worth it. When my anxiety gets really ramped up I will chew a generic Xanax... horridly bitter, :hearts: but I wash it down quickly and it starts working in a few minutes.

I hate to think there isn't some way around this. I know! Eat a lot and get fat like me :shocked: I am very short too (4'11") am 30 lbs overweight, thanks to the Paxil munchies and being almost totally sendentary from my back pain.
Bird

It is only when we silent the blaring sounds of our daily existence that we can finally hear the whispers of truth that life reveals to us, as it stands knocking on the doorsteps of our hearts.  ~K.T. Jong

I have had a long, long time to come, finally, to the conclusion that I and only I have control of my mind, soul and body. I CAN and have overcome a lot of (poo-poo caca) to get here and every single second has been worth it.

#6 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 09:55 AM

She's totally against it, believe me. She's given me other muscle relaxers and they get my irritable bowel stirred up or **** my stomach, so I try to use the Motrin sparingly, but it does nothing to enhance sleep.

Jackie :hearts:
Posted Image

I have GAD. I worry about everything, lol!

#7 Flyman

Flyman

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

While not experiencing any depression I happened on this web site after looking up "Flexeril". I too found out, entirely by accident, how it works fantastic as a sleep aid for me. I'm retired now but during my working life I always had to get up around 5:00 a.m. and then would have a tendency to wake up at 5:00 in the morning when I didn't have to. It was annoying to be waking up early when I could sleep in. I had a prescription for Flexeril for some back ache. It didn't do very much for the back pain but I noticed I slept very well. So a few weeks later I decided to do a test and took one 10 mg tablet at 9:00 p.m. I slept through the night except for one wake-up to urinate then back to sleep until 7:00 a.m.

I don't take the tablet often because I'm afraid I might build up a tolerance to it and it won't work anymore. So about once a week if I want to get a great night's sleep I take one tablet. They are very inexpensive and I get a 90 day prescription for $5.00

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users