Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bird2E

Flexeril -- Insomnia "Magic Pill"

7 posts in this topic

Posted

After years and years of trying all of the traditional sleep aids - med and non-med -- and not finding any that worked very well, I have "backed into" a wonderful sleep aid. It's Flexeril, or the generic Cyclobenzaprine. It was prescribed it about 6 weeks ago for back pain and muscle spasms, and it knocks me out cold! With no weird Paxil-induced dreams, no feeling of falling down the rabbit hole (like Ambien did), no anxiety attacks in the middle of the night, and I can get a good 6-7 hours on it. And I'm sure if I would make myself go to bed earlier, I could maybe even make it to 8 or more. I have been in a sleep-cycle disruption mode for 12 years.... I am naturally a night-owl (used to go to bed at 5AM, and get up at noon), then my last job I had to be there at 7:30. So now I still want to be a night owl, but got so used to getting up so early that now I do both.

My doc says it induces better REM sleep, but if I do dream, I sure don't remember them. I do get a bit groggy mid morning, but if I keep busy it goes away. I don't notice any other SE's. Another good thing is that even though I sleep deeply, I am not a zombie and can be wakened fairly easily, and fall back to sleep pretty quickly. Thunderstorms only wake me if they're really loud, and I can sleep through my husband's sleep-apnea-induced-wall-shaking snoring (Yay!!), I almost always have to get up for a potty break around 2 or 3, but zonk right back out. The facts sheet says it is not really addictive but only should be taken short-term. I don't care, I will stay on it forever because it's worth it! :hearts:

You might also be interested in:

Posted (edited)

Bird2E,

You need to follow your doctor's directions with Flexeril. It is not meant to be taken long-term nor as a sleep aid. It can also not be taken with many types of antidepressants.

KA

Edited by KeepingAwake

Posted

Flexeril

Cyclobenzaprine (sye kloe BEN za preen)

What is the most important information I should know about Flexeril?

Posted

I only wish! My family doc told me I'm too little for the dose and that I'd have to get it from my orthopedist. I can't afford to see him, so I'm between a rock and a hard place. I know it works really well and lets your muscles relax so you can get restorative sleep. My ortho guy put me on Sinequan years ago for the same reason. Pain and sleep don't mix.

Jackie :hearts:

Posted

I only wish! My family doc told me I'm too little for the dose and that I'd have to get it from my orthopedist. I can't afford to see him, so I'm between a rock and a hard place. I know it works really well and lets your muscles relax so you can get restorative sleep. My ortho guy put me on Sinequan years ago for the same reason. Pain and sleep don't mix.

Jackie :bump:

Jackie,

Even though they aren't scored and have a coating, I wonder if your doc could give you a few samples and see if you could tolerate just one half? I'll bet they taste nasty (re: the coating), but if it's something that works it would be worth it. When my anxiety gets really ramped up I will chew a generic Xanax... horridly bitter, :hearts: but I wash it down quickly and it starts working in a few minutes.

I hate to think there isn't some way around this. I know! Eat a lot and get fat like me :shocked: I am very short too (4'11") am 30 lbs overweight, thanks to the Paxil munchies and being almost totally sendentary from my back pain.

Posted

She's totally against it, believe me. She's given me other muscle relaxers and they get my irritable bowel stirred up or **** my stomach, so I try to use the Motrin sparingly, but it does nothing to enhance sleep.

Jackie :hearts:

Posted

While not experiencing any depression I happened on this web site after looking up "Flexeril". I too found out, entirely by accident, how it works fantastic as a sleep aid for me. I'm retired now but during my working life I always had to get up around 5:00 a.m. and then would have a tendency to wake up at 5:00 in the morning when I didn't have to. It was annoying to be waking up early when I could sleep in. I had a prescription for Flexeril for some back ache. It didn't do very much for the back pain but I noticed I slept very well. So a few weeks later I decided to do a test and took one 10 mg tablet at 9:00 p.m. I slept through the night except for one wake-up to urinate then back to sleep until 7:00 a.m.

I don't take the tablet often because I'm afraid I might build up a tolerance to it and it won't work anymore. So about once a week if I want to get a great night's sleep I take one tablet. They are very inexpensive and I get a 90 day prescription for $5.00