Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IamBobsMeds

Changing From Prozac To Lexapro...when Should I Start Lexapro After My Last Prozac Dose?

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Should I allow prozac to run out of my system? If so how long?

I am on 20mg's of prozac and my Dr's rushed me so I don't feel like I got to ask enough quesitons.

Thank you all and good luck

You might also be interested in:

Posted (edited)

We are not medical professionals so we can't give you medical advice. When a doctor starts you on a new medication they give you specific directions on how to take it. Take a look at the directions on your prescription and follow those. Many also wean you off the old med and give you specific directions on what to do. If he forgot to share that info with you call his office and leave a message so he can give you the best advice. Best wishes with the new med.

Lindahurt

Edited by lindahurt

Posted

Should I allow prozac to run out of my system? If so how long?

I am on 20mg's of prozac and my Dr's rushed me so I don't feel like I got to ask enough quesitons.

Thank you all and good luck

:welcomeani:

I would do as Linda said and call back for clarification. I've had a doctor say to taper off one completely before starting another, and another doctor say to start another one at the same time.

It appears to be different from doctor to doctor. Best to just ask because everyone is different, also, and one person might be able to handle taking two at once and another might need to wean off one completely before introducing another into their system. Usually it's about a week before starting another. (Long term use would require a longer period.)

Posted

btw...I dropped prozac for three days before I started Lexapro just to be extra careful.

I feel great on it...pretty amazing. I am not sure prozac was doing anything for me except give me side effects.

Posted

I felt amazing also when I started taking it. It still works pretty well (been on it a month), but that fantastic feeling has gone away. lol