Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Muscle Tension / Inability To Relax

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dubbemiah

dubbemiah

• PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:49 AM

Hi Everyone,

When I crashed into my anxiety pit, about 7 years ago, I developed symptoms of Chronic Muscle tension all over my body and a Chronic tension headache. My body will also not relax on it's own. I haven't achieved a state of relaxation in over 7 years. My body is always tense and I'm always on guard.

Does anyone else experience these symptoms? If so, have you found any tricks to achieve relaxation? I've everything from deep breathing, to relaxtion music, etc. My nervous system feels about shot, and I'm producing psychotic symptoms.

I wish I could trick my body into relaxing, but it doesn't work.

Thanks for your input,

Brandon
"People accuse the mentally ill of weakness, but in fact they are amongst the bravest, because they face intense fear and pain every day." -[forum]Guest_Hannibal (of DF)

#2 Violet31

Violet31

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:55 PM

Hi dubbemiah,

i think that chronic muscle tension is common when having anxiety. I used to have that until my chronic anxiety stopped, but I get it occasionally when Im stressed or have too much work.

What helped me the most was massage. When I went to the Far East countries I discovered Chinese massage, which is one of the best massage Ive tried. Its incredibly calming. I learned pressure point massage on my hands and it relieved the headache.

Walking, swimming, doing yoga, dancing and doing all kinds of stress relesasing exercises plus meditation helped as well. Then it went away when the anxiety stopped with the right medication and therapy.

Good luck.
When you´re going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.

Viktor Frankl

Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.
Jean-Paul Sartre

Use adversity      Declare Independence 

Violet :rose:

Posted Image

#3 Rose66

Rose66

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 06:32 PM

Thank you for posting this Brandon. I suffer from chronic anxiety on a daily basis also. The intensity varies but it's always there.

I have also tried different methods of relaxation and the only thing I have found is distraction such as doing a really hard puzzle or playing games such as tetris.

Apart from that, the doctor has prescribed medication for me when I feel really anxious. I am lucky with that because it has such a long half life that I get about 3-4 days of relief and by the time it has worn off, the thing that was making me anxious at that time is usually over (sometimes it's just the weekend making me anxious) and once the weekend is over and monday has rolled around, I'm ok again.

#4 Steveab63

Steveab63

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 06:40 PM

Brandon,

Yeah, dealing with it right now. I have a knot in the middle of my back. Sometimes I find myself with my shoulders pulled up to my ears for no apparent reason. That causes pain eventually.
Strenuous exercise might help. I keep repeating what I read years ago: Anxiety is the appropriate reaction to have if you're being chased by a tiger. Your brain gets foggy, your heart rate increases, and all of your blood is diverted from non essential organs (digestion) to your muscles so you can run like he11. So, do what your body wants. Go for a run, wear off that energy and extra adrenaline. Sitting still is probably the worst thing you can do. Its worth a try.
If you love cola drinks like I did, you have to wean yourself off of them. Lots of caffeine in there and it adds to the anxiety.

Good luck,
Steve.

#5 dubbemiah

dubbemiah

• PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 12:46 PM

Thanks everyone. And thanks for your replies. I had forgotten to check up on this.
"People accuse the mentally ill of weakness, but in fact they are amongst the bravest, because they face intense fear and pain every day." -[forum]Guest_Hannibal (of DF)

#6 mef123

mef123

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 01:27 PM

I also have chronic anxiety and tension in my legs especially but also my shoulders. I think someone else mentioned distraction, that's what I try to do. Right now my legs are so tense it hurts. I keep relaxing but next thing I know I'm all tense again.

Michele
never give up...

#7 dubbemiah

dubbemiah

• PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 01:51 PM

I also have chronic anxiety and tension in my legs especially but also my shoulders. I think someone else mentioned distraction, that's what I try to do. Right now my legs are so tense it hurts. I keep relaxing but next thing I know I'm all tense again.

Michele

Hmm I thought for a long time I was the only one dealing with widespread muscle tension. Thanks for your input, and yeah, I haven't really found much of a solution for the pain or tension either. I guess the solution for me lies in anxiety improvement.

dub

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users