Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Name Brand Wellbutrin Sr Vs Sandoz Vs Mylan

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mamato3

Mamato3

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:08 PM

Hello!

I'm brand new to the forum, but have been reading posts for a while. I noticed that a common topic is name-brand vs generics. Since I just had the opportunity to compare name brand and two generics, I thought I'd share my experience and possibly help others who don't know which generic to try.

I started taking generic Sandoz bupropion SR 300mg (150mg 2x day) in December of 2010. It worked well, I had some minor side effects right at the beginning that went away within a few days. I liked it a lot, it helped me a great deal. My insurance then changed and I had to get my scripts filled at Walgreen's instead of Costco. I was quite worried because I'd read here of all of the different experiences with generics. I asked for the Sandoz generic and Walgreen's only had Mylan or Watson generic. I picked Mylan (randomly, didn't know enough about either one). I only took it for one day (two doses), but did not like it. It seemed to "hit" much harder. I felt anxious and restless with a lot of 'speedy' energy - not in a good way (though I did manage to crank out a 45-minute workout, so that helped!). It also upset my stomach a bit but I took it on an empty stomach, so that could have caused that and the harsher "hit." But I panicked and called Walgreen's and my doc and said I couldn't use it and needed something else. Walgreen's mentioned they had name-brand, I called my insurance and for a slightly higher co-pay ($45 per 1-month supply vs. $20 for the generic) I could get name brand.

So I asked for name brand. They couldn't fill it til the next day so I had to take another dose of the Mylan, and by the end of the day I was actually feeling okay. I think I judged it too quickly and may have been fine on it - it may have been just the change in brands that caused the more rush-y feeling. But I was in the process of getting name brand.

Switching to the name brand I still had a couple of wobbly days...felt a bit more shaky and bp felt low, and the effect seemed less strong than on the generic Sandoz. I've been on the name brand for about a week now, and to me it feels the same if not a bit "tamer" than the generic (Sandoz). So here's my take on the three:

Sandoz - great, worked like a charm, I'll probably go back to this when my script runs out bc it's cheaper and I don't notice any difference from name brand (actually felt the effects a bit more with this)
Mylan - probably didn't give it enough time, but found that the med "hit" harder with an unpleasant speedy rush that calmed down toward the end of the day - this might be able to be remedied by timing of dosage or taking it with food
name brand Wellbutrin - great too, works like the Sandoz, I don't notice an improved effect with this...it's fine, just not magically better than the first generic I took.

So that's it...I just thought it might be helpful to have my take on the differences (for me) of the three....I wish I'd had more to go by when choosing a generic, and you definitely do not want to be doing just fine and then have to deal with a rough transition to another brand. I think it sucks that if the name-brand works for you that you can't get it unless you pay an arm and a leg for it...but maybe try Sandoz, it worked great for me.

Cheers,
Mamato3

#2 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,964 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 05:41 PM

Welcome to DF< Mamato3,
Thank you for sharing the info with us. I've taken all three plus the Watson generic. Most pharmacies will order from different pharmaceutical companies, so often times you will get different ones and not a specific label everytime. Sad but true as I've been through it many times with this and other meds. Sometimes there were a difference in the change, but it only lasted a few days. We're all different with the way we handle meds and manufaturer changes.
Sheepwoman
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#3 lindahurt

lindahurt

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,474 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:04 PM

:welcomeani: Welcome to DF Mamato3,

We are glad to join our community and look forward to hearing more from you. Thank you for sharing such good information. I think it will benefit many who take generics after taking brands. I take both brand and generics because I'm on 5 meds and my generics work for me. At one time I did worry but feel comfortable now.

Lindahurt
Even in the most horrific of situations, one's attitude has an enormous role in shaping what happens ~ Viktor Frankl
In you lies the power to choose, to commit - Stephen Convey

The kind of person you want to become is greatly influence by your inner decisions, and not from outside influence alone. We can even under adverse circumstances, decide what shall become of us ~ Brian C. Stiller

Posted Image

#4 8Margeaux8

8Margeaux8

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:05 PM

I Started off with Mylan 300 mg-200 in the morning, 1 at night. I instantly felt better, literally like 15 minutes after taking my first dose. Felt very energetic and didn't want to smoke anymore. Noticed I was a less agitated and didn't get irritated over small things like I use to. When it was time to fill my prescription, I got Sandoz and after the first dose, I didn't feel awesome. A day or so later, I started getting agitated, headaches, memory loss, lethargic, couldn't focus, felt depressed. I called around to all the pharmacies around to see if I could get Mylan again, but no one had it. Decided to try Watson. Today is my first day taking a dose and I am feeling better already. I think it all depends on your individual chemical makeup. I did read, though, that Teva is the worst one. Helps for some, but in others, it makes them more depressed. I also read that the Watson brand releases into the body similarly to the brand Wellbutrin. 

Recap-

Mylan: Worked well for me. Energy, no smoking urges, less irritable and feeling of overall well being.

Sandoz: Headache, lethargic, very foggy brain, forgetful, irritable

Watson: So far so good. Feeling normal again even after only my first dose. Hope it continues to help. 

I hope I  helped someone with this post

#5 moneliseh

moneliseh

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:38 PM

I think manufacturer might matter, definitely whether it's an SR, IR or XL though! At least for me.  I noticed, maybe just a coincidence but SR seems to be best for my body, but I can't say if mylan SR is better than sandoz SR because only tried mylan IR and it ended up being so terrible for me that I'm scared to try that manufacturer's SR. I don't know if you're out there still MAMATO, but I am on day 4 of Sandoz SR 100mg and was wondering what the temporary side effects you had were when you took it and exactly how long it took for them to go away. So far my actually stomach seems to be upset, like its hungry all the time but not and I am for the first time on this medication having slight difficulty falling asleep even though I only take 1 in the morning currrently.  I was on Watson 100mg, I took at least 2 every morning and when I remembered sometimes another in the afternoon and I never had really any negative side effects from this medication for the 2 whole years I was on it and it was just a god send.  I had energy/motivation and I wasn't so irritable, definitely more positive/confident etc...even lost weight.  Had problems with my insurance so went without for over a year and finally these last months I've been trying to get back on something.  My Dr seemed pretty set on an XL so I tried par pharm xl 150 and then 300 and mylan IR 100 and both gave me terrible nausea, but par pharm gave me some energy but didn't help too much with the mood, especially when I upped my dosage-very irritable. Mylan IR seemed to give me a nice mellow happy but didn't give me much energy at all- I slept a good amount and even worse, I actually had 2 panic attacks towards the 3rd week of taking the meds and intolerable nausea (throwing up)  I think from anxiety even though I have no history of attacks or anxiety issues.  Hopefully Sandoz SR doesn't start to give me nausea/panic attacks too.  Anyone had experience with Sandoz SR AND other different manufacturer SR's, since I can only compare XL vs IR vs SR. Just Sandoz SR experience helpful too. Thanks

Edited by moneliseh, 15 August 2014 - 03:42 PM.

#6 Ronnie

Ronnie

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:24 PM

Sun Pharma seemed to work the BEST.  My Walgreens currently switched to Sandoz and I miss the Sun Pharma manufacturer.

Current meds: Lexapro 10mg, Wellbutrin SR 150mg 2x day

As needed: Restoril or Trazadone for sleep.  Klonopin infrequently, Nuvigil for shift work.

Previous meds I tried:  Paxil, Prozac, Cymbalta, Pristiq, Abilify, Buspar, Xanax, Depakote, Doxepin.

Nothing real can be threatened.
Nothing unreal exists.
Herein lies the peace of God.
~A Course in Miracles

#7 Stephenau

Stephenau

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:46 PM

I went from 2x 100mg SR Sandoz to 150mg SR Mylan, I felt better on the Sandoz, but then I reduced the dosage, and I also increased Paxil at the same time. So who knows what is doing what. Tomorrow I'm switching to 100mg IR (mylan), because i'm almost 5 weeks in (but haven't started week 5 yet) and still having problems with sleep. So far the only day I ever felt like the depression had lifted, was day one on Wellbutrin. I'm hoping things will get better around week 6.

Edited by Stephenau, 21 August 2014 - 02:49 PM.

#8 Ronnie

Ronnie

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:40 PM

Hi Stephenau,

How do you like the Mylan brand compared to the Sandoz?

Current meds: Lexapro 10mg, Wellbutrin SR 150mg 2x day

As needed: Restoril or Trazadone for sleep.  Klonopin infrequently, Nuvigil for shift work.

Previous meds I tried:  Paxil, Prozac, Cymbalta, Pristiq, Abilify, Buspar, Xanax, Depakote, Doxepin.

Nothing real can be threatened.
Nothing unreal exists.
Herein lies the peace of God.
~A Course in Miracles

#9 Stephenau

Stephenau

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:16 AM

Hey Ronnie,

I can't say definitively that there is any difference at all, I started 100mg IR on the 22nd, I had what felt like a 2-3 day honeymoon, then I monday I stupidly went back to 100mg SR and felt completely different, it really felt great to be alive on Monday. Then I couldn't sleep on Monday night (SR does it to me), so went back to IR and have been feeling lowish since then. I've had some side effects (that I experienced when starting SR) on the IR, like the nervous/heart racing feeling. But I can sleep at night on the IR, so I'm thinking this is just a wear-in period and hopefully it won't take 6 weeks or whatever to kick back in. I also made some significant changes to my sleep habits last week which seems to have made a difference with my overall mood.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users