Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Zoloft Gives A False Positive Drug Test For Benzos?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 serotonin

serotonin

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 12:33 PM

I've been on 50mg a day of Zoloft for some time now.

Now, I'm supposed to take a urine drug test for my job in two days, and I've just read all over the web that Zoloft gives a false positive test for benzodiazepines. :stare:

I'm wondering: if I don't take Zoloft for two days prior to the test, will it show up on the drug test (as benzos)?

Anyone?

#2 Tim 52

Tim 52

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 12:50 PM

Serotonin:

I don't know enough about the tests to know how to answer your question. Zoloft is definitely not a benzo so I wonder if maybe the info on the internet isn't quite correct. Sometimes such information on the internet is a bit exaggerated or not entirely accurate.

Wishing you the best,

tim

goldenvelope1jr.gifInformation supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor. 

#3 Bradoonee

Bradoonee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 02:53 PM

Agree Zoloft is defo no Benzo lol. Certainly one of the worst medications I've ever taken though lol.

#4 serotonin

serotonin

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 04:14 AM

Yes, I know sertraline is not even related to benzodiazepines chemically, but to many sources on the internet state that Zoloft can give a false positive. Some of them seem reputable.

#5 Tim 52

Tim 52

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:04 AM

Let us know how it goes. I'm wishing the best for you. What is the worst thing that can happen if a benzo positive shows up? I would think you would/should have some opportunity to challenge that.

goldenvelope1jr.gifInformation supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor. 

#6 serotonin

serotonin

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:43 PM

Update:

I took the drug test, and I TESTED POSITIVE FOR BENZODIAZEPINES. That's right. :ranting:

Last time I took a Valium to help me to go to sleep was more than two years ago. So, considering the information that's all over the web, and the fact that the only thing I'm taking is Zoloft, I'm pretty much sure that Zoloft is what caused a false positive test.

Luckily, the guys at work are understanding, and I managed to avoid any consequences by telling them that I had a Valium a couple of nights prior, to help me go to sleep. :yay: I don't feel that me taking ADs is anybody's business, so I didn't tell them. Anyway, they were much more interested in illegal street drugs.

Anybody taking sertraline should know that it can give a false positive drug test for benzodiazepines. It did for me.

Edited by Trace, 30 March 2011 - 05:00 AM.
Trigger

#7 Tim 52

Tim 52

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 02:25 PM

Serotonin:

Wow, thanks for the update. Sorry you had to go through that. I'm glad it didn't cause a major problem at work. Though the worry and wear and tear on you was more than, I'm sure, you needed.

Tim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users