Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Embarrassed/ashamed Aboout Therapy

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 anne_of_green_gables

anne_of_green_gables

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:08 PM

Hi. I have been running away from responsiblity for too long. I have generalized anxiety disorder and depression and I'm starting therapy now to deal with that. I want to do it for myself so that I can have a better quality of life. My question is how can I get over the embarrassment and shame I have for going? I'm young and in college and a little too self-conscious. I'm very reserved, but one thing I want to improve on is opening up to those that are close to me. How have close friends of yours reacted when you've told them you've been going to therapy? How can I open up to others about this? Also, has anyone tried group therapy and found it to be helpful? It is free at my college and I want to try it. I believe it will help me be more accepting of myself since I'll be interacting with others who have similar problems.

#2 ratfood

ratfood

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:22 PM

Hi. I have been running away from responsiblity for too long. I have generalized anxiety disorder and depression and I'm starting therapy now to deal with that. I want to do it for myself so that I can have a better quality of life. My question is how can I get over the embarrassment and shame I have for going? I'm young and in college and a little too self-conscious. I'm very reserved, but one thing I want to improve on is opening up to those that are close to me. How have close friends of yours reacted when you've told them you've been going to therapy? How can I open up to others about this? Also, has anyone tried group therapy and found it to be helpful? It is free at my college and I want to try it. I believe it will help me be more accepting of myself since I'll be interacting with others who have similar problems.

I think that it's not considered bad to go to therapy. Many people are still ignorant of it, but ultimately anyone that goes is trying to be a better person. I still wonder what others would think if they knew all the details of what I talk about to the therapist and how much money I spend on it. There is no point in talking about it to those that do not understand the benefits of therapy. It has always been a waste of time to try convince anyone other than myself of it's merits. Good luck and take advantage of it--esp. since it's free. When you get old like me, you have to pay at least $100 per visit if it's a decent therapist. And the good ones do not take insurance. Take care.

#3 astralwerksxx

astralwerksxx

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:38 PM

Hello Anne,

I didn't have a choice when it came to coming out about being depressed. While I was in inpatient treatment my parents told my friends and family about my depression and how bad it had gotten. The only thing I received from everyone was support. I also found out there were other people in my family who also suffered from depression. More people suffer from depression than you might think and a lot of them don't want to face the stigma. I congratulate you in seeking help.

Also I am going to a general support group kinda thing next week Wednesday if you would like I will post another reply about how t went for me.
I do the Robot pretty much daily.

#4 BetterOff

BetterOff

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,232 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:12 AM

There is *nothing* to be ashamed about going into therapy. Millions go each day. Times are hard and especially at school to perform and are very stressful. Besides, I think you need what we call a *support system*, this is friends and family you can talk about your issues with and I think you will find *all* of them will be supportive and try to cheer you up, I only recommend that you stress when talking to them that you *are* seeking help in trying to better yourself (this shows them that you are working at it and not just dwelling in nomans land not seeking any help) and also spread your talking about it around so as not to overburden any one person. Be also upbeat and talk about other things than just your issues, show that you can still be happy and functional as well as trying to cope with your issues) In other words people want to see someone trying to help themselves.

Group therapy can be good for you as you get different perspectives from people on how they are trying to help themselves. If you notice someone is dwelling in self-pity learn from their mistakes and avoid doing what they are doing, i.e. isolating themselves and not really trying to improve but instead caught in a permenant bad mindset as *alas* some people do seem to love to dwell in self-pity. These are the type that are less likely to get the help they need because they drive everyone away as they dont show they are trying to really help themselves, hopefully nobody in your group will be like that, but if there is *one* you can see for yourself what they are doing wrong and try to avoid their mistake.

Also if depression and anxiety get worse for you and not better, then see one of the free medical doctors there, sometimes a little medical aide with an anti-depressant can snap you out of it, it helps you cope with stress and anxiety and depression. Talk therapy is great but sometimes a little medical assistance is necessary also. Do not be ashamed of this either as depression *can* be clinical in nature i.e. lack of happy hormone production and its really a physical ailment like diabetes but instead of a **** each morning of insulin, you only need a small pill to boost those happy hormones. Of course its best to try therapy first, but if you feel you are sinking, definately see about some medical assistance also.
I do both myself, therapy *and* some medical assistance as I attack my anxiety and depression from both sides of the coin so to speak!
Good Luck and best wishes and keep us posted how it goes.
Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#5 bigd847

bigd847

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:27 PM

I think that it's not considered bad to go to therapy. Many people are still ignorant of it, but ultimately anyone that goes is trying to be a better person. I still wonder what others would think if they knew all the details of what I talk about to the therapist and how much money I spend on it. There is no point in talking about it to those that do not understand the benefits of therapy. It has always been a waste of time to try convince anyone other than myself of it's merits. Good luck and take advantage of it--esp. since it's free. When you get old like me, you have to pay at least $100 per visit if it's a decent therapist. And the good ones do not take insurance. Take care.
[/quote]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello
The good therapists may cost $100 a visit but the best ones are free. The ones that are free are not in it for the money but because they have a genuine interest in humanity. My psyciatrist at the VA is so observent he can tell just the way I feel before we start talking. Then there is listening and memmory skills. I know he is listening to me because he can bring some thing I said 6 months ago in a off hand manner. If you were my psyciartists kids your could get away with nothing. He has just a whole took chest of things he uses such as expression, tones of voice and body language all calculated to the end of getting me better. I have disagreed with him on coarses of medication and wone. Usualy turns out he was right but I have a say in what meds I take. Then there is my therapists. She takes Medical and works on a sliding scale. The group therapy time she donates at the tune of an hour a week. She holds a PHD in psycoligy. Now she may not be the best but she has done a lot of good for a lot of people and just the experience alone is worth what ever she lacks in other places. I wouldn't trade any of my profesionals for any one else.

Edited by bigd847, 03 March 2011 - 05:28 PM.

#6 airways83

airways83

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:14 PM

Don't feel ashamed at all about therapy! I felt the same way 2 years ago when I started therapy, and I didn't know how to bring it up. However, one of my friends is the one who got me into therapy when I wasn't doing well at all and she called my parents. I've actually found it easier as time went on to share that i've been in therapy to my good friends. Those that were against it weren't really my friends. Take whatever is free, as i pay 50 dollars a session i go to! Please feel free to private message me to talk more.

#7 Kalla

Kalla

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:51 PM

Don't feel embarrassed or ashamed about going into therapy. You are doing the right thing. Pat yourself on the back and give yourself more credit for taking a step in the RIGHT direction! You should be proud of yourself for working towards feeling better :nod: Therapy was the best decision of my life, and I hope it works out for you. I hope you feel better soon! :hearts:

As for telling others, do so when you feel comfortable and ready. Tell people you trust and feel would understand what you are going through. I don't know what I would have done without my friends - some people, like my mom, didn't understand and wanted to just ignore it/push it under the rug. I just ignored that negativity and pushed forward. It may take awhile, but that guilt and shame will disappear and a new found confidence and self-acceptance will take its place :cool: Good luck!

"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."

#8 Kristen79

Kristen79

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:16 PM

Don't feel bad about going to therapy. For me I have only told certain people that I do go. They have been supportive and have seen a major change since I started therapy 3 yrs ago. Just tell people you can fully trust that won't judge you or think you are nuts. :) Course the people that I told they said "about time" lol :)
Mercy won't give you what you think you deserve but Grace will give you what you think you don't deserve.

#9 moro

moro

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 07:11 PM

Don't feel ashamed about going to therapy. You should congratulate yourself for having the courage to admit you have a problem and that you need to work on it. However, don't feel you need to justify/explain yourself to everyone. One piece of advice I would give is choose the people you tell wisely. Some people "get it" immediately and will be extremely supportive. But there will be others who won't "get it" and who will not understand your need, because they're seeing it from their point of view. So you end up trying to explain yourself to people who just don't value the benefits that therapy has to offer. I've gone off in an tangent... sorry! I found that once I was comfortable with the whole process myself, I found it easier to talk about it with others. I was in therapy for nearly six months before telling my fiancee, nearly a year before I told my parents and other family members. However, my best friend I told within a few weeks because I knew she would understand and not question it.

Good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users