Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Anyone Found The Cure For Crushing Morning Depression?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 pittguy578

pittguy578

ID: 21692

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:08 AM

I am not sure if I am the only one, but my depression is far worse in the morning. I will be up front. I woke up totally depressed this morning and had suicidal ideations. As I go through the day, I end up feeling better and less depressed and to the point now where I am feeling normal..
However, when I wake up, it's like groundhog day. I know it's not my thoughts, etc because my depression is chemical. I am not laying around thinking about sad things when I am down. I am just down for literally no reason. Is there anything anyone has done to help alleviate this morning depression? If I Could get this under control, I may be on the path to recovery.

#2 bokuba

bokuba

ID: 58456

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:14 AM

Having a dog works for me, kicks my behind to go out and go for a walk. Seeing her cheerful waiting for me to take her out makes me feel a bit better and it certainly helps.
Not sure if you can have a pet or not, but if you don't and you can, and you're up to the responsibility (daily walks, feeding, etc) BUT........it's probably the best companionship you'll ever have.
Like the saying goes, "the more people I meet, the more I love my dog". lol

Granted there are days when I feel bummed out in the morning, what I find works sometimes, get up, hop in the shower right away, have a nice light breakfast - nothing sugary (cereals, etc), no fried eggs or fried anything.
My new breakfast routine that I love and makes me feel great is, fruit (blueberries, sliced strawberries), yogurt and granola in a bowl, it gives me a little pep, not much, but enough to get me going and then I go from there.

Edited by bokuba, 02 March 2011 - 12:24 AM.

#3 pittguy578

pittguy578

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:44 AM

I think a dog is what kept me from going crazy during my last relationship. I lived with a girl that was a liar..abusive..and a drug abuser. Despite the drama and trauma I experienced, we had a dog that I would take everywhere. The dog was hers but ended up being my dog..He would only come around when I was home..otherwise the dog would be out with her dad in the other residence on the property.However, when I moved out because I could not take her abuse anymore, I had to leave the dog..It was not mine. I love animals. I am allergic to cats (not too bad..just red eyes). I absolutely love dogs. I just have always felt bad about leaving one in a house all day when I am not home. When I am actually working, I do have a crazy schedule. Every time I have dated someone their pets have ended up liking me a great deal. Maybe I Will see if I Can get a small house dog. Would definitely not get a puppy..I would not want to leave one of those alone.

#4 bigd847

bigd847

Advanced Member

ID: 56883

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:12 AM

I am not sure if I am the only one, but my depression is far worse in the morning. I will be up front. I woke up totally depressed this morning and had suicidal ideations. As I go through the day, I end up feeling better and less depressed and to the point now where I am feeling normal..
However, when I wake up, it's like groundhog day. I know it's not my thoughts, etc because my depression is chemical. I am not laying around thinking about sad things when I am down. I am just down for literally no reason. Is there anything anyone has done to help alleviate this morning depression? If I Could get this under control, I may be on the path to recovery.

I have a thought. At one time I used to wake up feeling good and as the day went by I felt worse and worse. As time went by the situationn turned 180 degrees. I am now depressed in the morning. Turns out it might be sleep apthnia. I recently got a CPAP machine. I haven't got my time all the way up on it but it feels like my morning depression is fadeing. One thing for sure is it has taken care of my realy bad nightmares. Ask your Doc.
Bigd

#5 kai

kai

ID: 58655

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 03:07 AM

Pitt

OMG I'm exactly the same. Some mornings I'm so tired I can't open my eyes, other mornings I'm wide awake but can't get out of bed. But I always heavily depressed and sometimes anxious in the morning. This gradually eases during the day and by nighttime I feel more 'normal'. Because my nights are better I tend to go to sleep late and I don't know if that makes my mornings worse. I've been on an AD for 3 weeks and I praying that it will help.

If anyone out there has experience with this PLEASE share.

Blessings
Kai

#6 mrxim

mrxim

Just Registered

ID: 59100

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 06:53 AM

I totally know what you mean I woke up with almost crippling depression this morning.
I think its because in my dreams things can be so much better, then i wake up too find them not real
and loneliness just sets back in.

Not sure if i can help but I find music helps lift my mood a bit, crying and letting it all out is good
but Iv been sitting in bed for a a few hours now and feel better.

#7 Radclyffe Hall

Radclyffe Hall

ID: 57001

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:07 AM

I always wondered if everyone felt like it is being reborn (and not in a religious sense!) every morning - you are thrust into the cruel world, lost and full of despair. I HATE mornings. I can't stand the sun. I never quite know how I get through the first few hours. Then things start looking up (if I am lucky and on an AD that works) and by night time I have such good ideas and just love life (if I am not in a depressive period - but even then, the evenings are much better).

I am completely disorientated when I wake up and just want to go back to dreamland. Then I have to deal with this cruel world.

But, I realised after many years of counselling, that my parents told me that the "world was not safe out there." So I fear the world, even though there really is nothing to fear. I have enough food, shelter, water and a reasonably satisfying job. I am working on that fear. It helped to realise that other people probably fear me. And that the whole world functions on the idea of fear and that I have to stop it for myself. It doesn't mean that I don't feel it - it just means that I can work through it quicker, although it takes hair on my teeth.

I am MUCH better in winter. But I hate the sun and summer and the heat of 30/40 deg celsius.

#8 PenguinGirlq1

PenguinGirlq1

ID: 59129

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:50 AM

I wish I knew. I woke up way to early this morning and can't get back to sleep. I already threw up once, and I feel so horrible.

I know I should get out of bed, but all I want to do is sleep and forget about everything until I feel okay again.

#9 pittguy578

pittguy578

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:27 PM

I am not sure if it has something to do with our sleep cycles and the brain actually "waking up" after sleep. The pattern still happening..going to see my doc in a bit..Hopefully we can get this under control. :(

#10 butterfly430

butterfly430

ID: 51083

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:52 PM

Medication

#11 jj_mclure

jj_mclure

ID: 59045

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 12:57 PM

i'm cured every morning when i check my heart and make sur it is still beating.

pushing up daisys is not fun

#12 Achelois

Achelois

ID: 50989

• Just Registered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:11 PM

It would be illegal to say it....it's a med. but i got it legally for a condition i have. improves mood - 100%.

#13 Violet31

Violet31

ID: 47678

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:18 PM

Meds do the trick, for sure.

But there are other ways to.

What worked best for me when I was depressed was the following routine:

Get up, but dont let the workd in just yet. It can wait. First, do a guided morning meditation or yoga with relaxing music. Switch off your mobile and phone.

Then get your coffee or tea, your favorite blend, mix orange juice or whatever you like in the morning, then go to bed and have your breakfast in bed or:

Go out to the veranda, balcony, garden or just sit by the window if you dont have the first ones, sit down with your newspaper and take it easy.

Next, go for a morning jog or walk.

When you get home, you will feel better and ready to take on the world. It could take some time to practice this routine, but it will come.
When you´re going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.

Viktor Frankl

Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.
Jean-Paul Sartre

Use adversity      Declare Independence 

Violet :rose:

Posted Image

#14 kisunya

kisunya

ID: 59244

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:43 PM

When I wake up I try to always get straight out of bed once my alarm goes off. I set both my alarm clock and my phone - they're spaced about two minutes apart, in case I'm having a really bad day and just can't get up on the first one. If I lay in bed longer than that, it is a real battle because it lets me start thinking about how I don't want to get up.

I have a routine that I always do in the morning so I don't have to think about what I should be doing. I usually feed my cats first and have some interaction with them and that helps a bit since they're so friendly in the morning, waiting to get fed. After that I wash up, put in my contacts, get dressed, have some breakfast. Going through the motions stops me from thinking too much in the morning, until I'm out on my morning commute, but then I listen to my favorite talk shows and such to keep my mind occupied.

However, on the weekends, when I'm not working, I would say it's definitely more difficult.

Edited by kisunya, 05 March 2011 - 09:44 PM.

#15 loopylulu

loopylulu

ID: 42067

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:53 AM

I always find its far worse in the mornings, I can't seem to find anything worth getting up for. It is a bit better in the summer when I can force myself into the garden with a coffee for 10 minutes or so. But on a regular work day in winter morning just make me want to hide away and cry.

Lately though, a little trick that can sometimes help me, is to lay in bed and watch a short TED lecture by someone interesting or inspiring. My favourite at the moment is Ben goldacre, because he's refreshingly angry as well, I can't handle perky people in the morning :)

But I think having a good routine is very important, I'm going to start making sure I stick to one... And get a puppy!! :)

#16 Meirionne

Meirionne

Community Assistant

ID: 75292

• DF Support
  • 866 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:09 AM

Hi Loopylulu,

I know what you mean about those dreary dark winter mornings.

I think your ideas are all great, but especially the puppy. I have 2 cats and they do not allow me to stay in bed in the morning. I have to get up to feed them and after watching them purr and wind themselves around my feet and legs to get me to feed them, and then watching their silly antics, I somehow find the day has started and I am already up and smiling at them. By then the kettle is boiling and I sit down with my coffee. It really does help and I think a pet is wonderful therapy.

Meirionne
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion. (the Dalai Lama)

US & International Hotlines Hotlines for UK Hotlines for Canada Teen Helplines

#17 chloe12345

chloe12345

ID: 64573

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:26 PM

I have the same problem with the mornings. I don't want to get out of bed. Since I am on disability I don't have to do anything I don't want to do-basically. I worked full-time for 25 years and it gave me a reason to get up. I felt productive. I have been on disability for 5 yrs and it is really hard to find things to do. I am not reliable enough for volunteer work right now.

Once I am out of bed I start to feel better. I think taking a shower first thing is a good idea but I don't do it. I read with my cat for an hr and then have breakfast and I am training myself to jump in the shower at this point. The shower is key. If I put it off too long I never get out of the house.

Thanks, guys

#18 cerridwensarms

cerridwensarms

ID: 77796

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:01 PM

As an animal lover, I agree with the people who mentioned having a pet helps.

For me, it's important to get enough sleep, but to make sure I do not oversleep. The next step is to make sure I get out of bed quickly when I wake up. If I lay there and think about whether the cold world out there is more tempting than the warm blankets here... well, haha... I think we know what I'll end up thinking.
I eat something yummy right away so that I'm not hungry and sad, then I get dressed and do something I like first, like check my Facebook or a forum, youtube, etc. I wake up early in order to have time to do this so that I start the day off with something fun and relaxing and then work seems more do-able for me.

Hope that helps!
"Did it matter then, she asked herself, walking towards Bond Street, did it matter that she must inevitably cease completely? All this must go on without her; did she resent it; or did it not become consoling to believe that death ended absolutely?”
― Virginia Woolf

#19 cahan

cahan

Just Registered

ID: 77710

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:43 PM

Hi,
Mornings are impossible for me. I have 2 small dogs that need to go out in the morning so that actually gets me out of bed, but then, once they are taken care of, I can sit in a spot and not move for hours. This is when I am at my worse and it prevents me from working. Just getting past an episode now and heading back to work tomorrow. Very worried about how I will feel in the morning or if I will actually be able to go through with getting to my job. The dogs definitely help, and I always feel better after a walk with them - makes me feel like I've accomplished something. Plus.......they are love and companionship and makes you believe in what matters. That in itself helps to put one foot in front of the other. Thanks for posting. Thought I was the only one who suffered in the morning.

#20 Phlebas

Phlebas

Advanced Member

ID: 29832

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:25 PM

I've been looking for the "cure" for a long time now. The amount of drugs, sleeping patterns, diets, techniques that I've tried is beyond counting. Morning depression is one of the most debilitating side effects of the entire illness because it causes you to miss out on things. Social gatherings in the morning, class and/or work in the morning, the social situations that occur in the morning before class or work, and even just the whole day in general because you wake up feeling broken and incapable. My latest venture into curing morning depression is a combination of Melatonin and PhosphidatylSerine before bed. Hopefully it will start to do the trick.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. ~C. S. Lewis

#21 andrewfootos

andrewfootos

ID: 75135

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:55 PM

Usually simply the motivation to get up and head to class on the mornings I have class used to suffice, but not anymore. Now it's just kind of finding the strength to turn on the TV and see if there's anything that I can possibly interested in that will help me get out of bed.

#22 wanderer82

wanderer82

ID: 23313

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:28 PM

God, pittguy, it's like you described my mornings. I've wondered the same thing, how can I go to bed feeling okay, even happy, and wake up so depressed I'm thinking about death? Like you this convinces me my depression must be neurological. The only thing that works for me is forcing myself out of bed with sheer will power. My first reaction is to reset my alarm and try to get a few more minutes of sleep, but this rarely makes me feel better. Try telling yourself that you're going to feel better but the only is to get up and going. Use the knowledge that you'll feel better later in the day as motivation to get out of bed.

#23 wanderer82

wanderer82

ID: 23313

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:33 PM

Morning depression is one of the most debilitating side effects of the entire illness because it causes you to miss out on things. Social gatherings in the morning, class and/or work in the morning, the social situations that occur in the morning before class or work, and even just the whole day in general because you wake up feeling broken and incapable.

I'm with you Poloman. It's the little things like going to breakfast with friends or getting up for the farmer's market that morning depression interfers with. I like mornings, the rising sun, singing birds... I wish it were easier to get up and enjoy it.
  • Phlebas likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users