• Announcements

• Lindsay

National Mental Health Awareness Month, 2016   05/01/2016

Proclamation 9433 of April 28, 2016 National Mental Health Awareness Month, 2016 A Proclamation Nearly 44 million American adults, and millions of children, experience mental health conditions each year, including depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and post-traumatic stress. Although we have made progress expanding mental health coverage and elevating the conversation about mental health, too many people still do not get the help they need. Our Nation is founded on the belief that we must look out for one another—and whether it affects our family members, friends, co-workers, or those unknown to us—we do a service for each other when we reach out and help those struggling with mental health issues. This month, we renew our commitment to ridding our society of the stigma associated with mental illness, encourage those living with mental health conditions to get the help they need, and reaffirm our pledge to ensure those who need help have access to the support, acceptance, and resources they deserve. In the last 7 years, our country has made extraordinary progress in expanding mental health coverage for more people across America. The Affordable Care Act prohibits insurance companies from discriminating against people based on pre-existing conditions, requires coverage of mental health and substance use disorder services in individual and small group markets, and expands mental health and substance use disorder parity policies, which are estimated to help more than 60 million Americans. Nearly 15 million more Americans have gained Medicaid coverage since October 2013, significantly improving access to mental health care. And because of more than $100 million in funding from the Affordable Care Act, community health centers have expanded behavioral health services for nearly 900,000 people nationwide over the past 2 years. Still, far too few Americans experiencing mental illnesses do not receive the care and treatment they need. That is why my most recent Budget proposal includes a new half-billion dollar investment to improve access to mental health care, engage individuals with serious mental illness in care, and help ensure behavioral health care systems work for everyone. Our Nation has made strong advances in improving prevention, increasing early intervention, and expanding treatment of mental illnesses. Earlier this year, I established a Mental Health and Substance Use Disorder Parity Task Force, which aims to ensure that coverage for mental health benefits is comparable to coverage for medical and surgical care, improve understanding of the requirements of the law, and expand compliance with it. Mental health should be treated as part of a person's overall health, and we must ensure individuals living with mental health conditions can get the treatment they need. My Administration also continues to invest in science and research through the BRAIN initiative to enhance our understanding of the complexities of the human brain and to make it easier to diagnose and treat mental health disorders early. One of our most profound obligations as a Nation is to support the men and women in uniform who return home and continue fighting battles against mental illness. Last year, I signed the Clay Hunt SAV Act, which fills critical gaps in serving veterans with post-traumatic stress and other illnesses, increases peer support and outreach, and recruits more talented individuals to work on mental health issues at the Department of Veterans Affairs. This law will make it easier for veterans to get the care they need when they need it. All Americans, including service members, can get immediate assistance by calling the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK or by calling 1-800-662-HELP. During National Mental Health Awareness Month, we recognize those Americans who live with mental illness and substance use disorders, and we pledge solidarity with their families who need our support as well. Let us strive to ensure people living with mental health conditions know that they are not alone, that hope exists, and that the possibility of healing and thriving is real. Together, we can help everyone get the support they need to recover as they continue along the journey to get well. NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim May 2016 as National Mental Health Awareness Month. I call upon citizens, government agencies, organizations, health care providers, and research institutions to raise mental health awareness and continue helping Americans live longer, healthier lives. IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this twenty-eighth day of April, in the year of our Lord two thousand sixteen, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and fortieth.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jbr012710

Cymbalta Questions

37 posts in this topic

Posted

I had crazy dreams on Zoloft, and slightly less crazy dreams on Effexor... but last night I had the most INSANE dreams ever on Cymbalta... is that normal?

You might also be interested in:

Posted

Hello, if you are in the intital stages of adapting to Cymbalta, indeed you can have some really bizzare and horrific dreams. But the longer you stick to the medication, the less vivid and disturbing they will become. You didnt say if you just started a cymbalta regime or have been on it for a while, but I would say allow a good three months for dreams to settle in when starting any AD. Remember the med is doing a real number on your hormones right now and everything is jumbled up and being stimulated (if you are still in the initial 6 to 8 weeks of starting the med) and for me it takes even more time for me personally to smooth out on a medication. I think *personally* that even after 2 months the brain is still adapting to a small degree and that effects of the med will still pop up now and then.

If its been over three months and these dreams are still bothering you, perhaps your doctor can prescribe a sleeping aide to help with these issues, so definately talk to him about this. If the medication is working, and you only have really vivid dreams now and then, I think the benefits of the med would outweight the occasional distressing dream.

Good Luck and best wishes, sorry I am not a professional and cannot offer better advice except to say if you are still in the first three months of taking cymbalta, vivid dreams are part of your brain still settling in and getting use to the medication and I think they will vanish with time.

Posted

I can't stand them. They are repetitive, vivid, and unpleasant. Not to mention I feel like I'm waking up every 5 minutes. I don't feel rested. At all. I'm slowly stopping Cymbalta on my own after a month because my next appointment is way too far. I have to go back to work. I'm just miserable. I HATE this medication.

Posted

I suddenly am breaking out a lot on my chin and I typically have very clear skin. Could Cymbalta be to blame? Just started it Wednesday.

Posted

Hi jbr:

It is not a common side effect. But that does not mean that your acne outbreak isn't related to the Cymbalta. I'd check in with your doctor.

Sorry this is happening. I'm guessing it will pass or your doctor will have a decent answer for you.

Best,

Tim

Posted

It happend to me too. I used to have clear skin but now a got a few acnes. It started with Cymbalta use.

[]'s

Posted

I'm on Cymbalta and I have clear vivid dreams with lots of emotional charge. I forget them as soon as I wake up.. I don't like this but Cymbalta is doing a good job on me, I used to have panic syndrome and depression.

Posted

I have had some really vivid dreams since I started weaning myself off cymbalta. I find then interesting though and not at all disturbing. I don't recall having vivid or disturbing dreams when I started cymbalta.

Posted (edited)

Ok I know Cymbalta has warnings about liver issues. And before starting the med I drank quite a bit. I haven't had a drop to drink in two weeks and decided to have some tonight (it's my weakness). My thoughts are I'll only drink every 2-3 weeks (as opposed to 5 nights a week). I feel much better when I'm not drinking anyway. My question though - how bad is it that I drink on occasion? It's not hard alcohol. I know it counteracts the anti-depressant.. but as far as liver issues?

Edited by lindahurt

Posted (edited)

I see so much negative publicity about Cymbalta and I wanted to share my personal story - although very beginning stages... of a positive experience. I think people are more apt to report bad experiences and many people say Cymbalta sucks only after going through withdrawals from stopping it. I took Zoloft for a year with minimal success but the withdrawals were horrendous when I stopped. That doesn't mean the drug itself didn't work when I took it. Most AD will have awful withdrawals no matter how slowly you stop them.

Anyway - after two weeks on Cymbalta I feel a lot better. I was having a lot of suicidal thoughts and those have disappeared. I was constantly eating junk, but now I have the willpower and determination to watch my portions and calories. I used to want to drink all the time - and now I haven't touched alcohol for 2 weeks (well I am drinking a little something tonight). I don't hate myself as much, I feel less angry, and I feel generally calm. I was worried about taking this drug because of all the negative reviews but I'm one of those that so far has had a good experience. I'm losing a bit of weight and feel great! I've tried Wellbutrin, Zoloft, and Effexor and NONE of them worked.... in fact my suicidal thoughts increased on Effexor. There is hope out there for people suffering from anxiety and depression. I think sticking with Cymbalta may be the key to my success. (I must also note I've never taken a "name brand" drug... this is my first name brand drug. Not sure if that means anything but I've heard generics can work less effectively).

Good luck to everyone else out there. Keep trying and you'll find your med.

PS - I also take 100mg of Lamictal (mood stabilizer) and .5mg of Klonopin (anxiety med) daily as well.. The combo of these three has worked so well for my issues.

Edited by lindahurt

Posted

I previously took Effexor (still on a low dose as I'm weaning off) and I swear I sweat like a pig. It's so embarrassing. I'm not just talking about pits either. I mean my whole body sweats. Face, pits, other areas... I used to the be the type who was cold all the time now I find myself with a fan on my face at all times during work. Now I'm on Cymbalta and the sweating has not ceased.. but I'm still on Effexor too. Is sweating while on Cymbalta fairly common? I use prescription strength deodorants and powder in other sweaty areas but to no avail. I'm a professional and don't want to be the smelly sweaty girl. Any advice, suggestions, etc? Is if just the effexor causing the sweat? God I hope so. I'm coming off it very soon.

Posted

yes, a side effect of cymbalta is perspiration. I do not know about effexor, but i wouldn't be surprised because both meds are in the same class (SNRI). Hopefully, that side effect will abate, but i was on a tricyclic antidepressant for 16 years and i always sweated alot :P

Posted

I previously took Effexor (still on a low dose as I'm weaning off) and I swear I sweat like a pig. It's so embarrassing. I'm not just talking about pits either. I mean my whole body sweats. Face, pits, other areas... I used to the be the type who was cold all the time now I find myself with a fan on my face at all times during work. Now I'm on Cymbalta and the sweating has not ceased.. but I'm still on Effexor too. Is sweating while on Cymbalta fairly common? I use prescription strength deodorants and powder in other sweaty areas but to no avail. I'm a professional and don't want to be the smelly sweaty girl. Any advice, suggestions, etc? Is if just the effexor causing the sweat? God I hope so. I'm coming off it very soon.

I've had increased sweating on Cymbalta, but for me it has gotten a lot better over time as I've gotten used to the meds. Had to go through the same thing again when I went up to 90mg, but again it has gotten better.

Posted

I'd *guess* you'll be okay as long as you don't have any underlying conditions, the leaflet itself just says 'care should be taken if you drink alcohol while you are being treated with Cymbalta'. And I've so far been okay with drinking very occasionally (couple of times a month, if that) on Cymbalta, but standard disclaimer that you should probably check with your doctor if you're worried.

Posted

Yep, check with your doctor. Remember that alcohol is a depressant (I know you you know that). And you do want to take good care of your liver which is already working hard on processing Cymbalta.

Tim

Posted

I've been on Cymbalta for 2 weeks and it seems like every day after 12 I get extreme fatigue. Lately when I get off work I take a 2-3 hour nap before I go to bed. I'm also weaning off Effexor XR and taking 37.5mg daily. I also take Lamictal and Klonopin daily. Why might I be so tired? For example I could take a nap right now. I'm exhausted. Is it the Cymbalta?

Posted

Jbr:

Sorry you have had a time of fatique. You will want to confer with your doctor about the tired feeling.

You are pretty early still in the trial of Cymbalta. Sometimes the energy level evens out over time.

Klonopin can make people tired too.

Wishing you the best,

Tim

Posted

Hello, we are not professionals of course, none of us are here on DF, and its hard when there is a mix of meds to target *one* that might be causing some afternoon fatigue. *if* by any chance it is the cymbalta, just hand in there as Tim pointed out you are well within the beginning of the cymbalta med regime and it takes like 6 to 8 weeks to become fully effective and this *could* be one of those irritating little minor side effects that vanishes with time. ALL AD's have initial side effects but they vanish with time. Also as Tim pointed out Klonopin makes me sleepy, I need it for anxiety issues but I do get drowsy when I take it. Right now, your mind is adapting to cymbalta and its aswirl with your happy hormones being stimulated, and I wouild just recommend to go with the flow and enjoy the extra nap, and dont forget that when sleeping it helps the brain to heal itself. Its not uncommon for AD's to energize or have some sedating effects when first starting on them. But this side effect will vanish over time. Two weeks is still *very early* in the game for an AD, week three I think you will start to see a ray of sunlight in the clouds so to speak and week 4,5,6 etc... each should make you feel progressively better. I always struggle myself in the first two weeks with side effects but they soon begin to vanish, some people they vanish faster, some take a little longer, the main thing is to hang in there and allow it to work and after a month or so see your doctor and get a good evaluation of how you are feeling then vs when you first started taking the med.

I wish I knew the exact dosage of cymbalta you are taking, I do know that 30 mg is a little sub-par for depression for most people but if you are med sensitive its good the doctor starts you at a lower dose because that might work fine, most people I think are prescribed 60 mg, but then you have med resistant people who take 90mg and even there is 120 mg.

Just so you know where yoiu stand on your dosage for cymbalta. If you were referring to cymbalta at 37.5 mg, that might be a little sub-par for you but this is something you discuss with your doctor after giving it a good four to six weeks to start to kick in well...

Good Luck and best wishes.

Posted

jbr,

Thanks for sharing your success story. I hope you have many many years of symptom-free happiness :)

lucyvp

Posted

JBR, I'm in your position as well with Cymbalta. It really does work given a chance. I still have a bit of lightheadedness, hopefully that will pass. I've been on it going on a month now. Funny thing, I've lost a few pounds as well. Depression gone, no anxiety, and feel really calm. Life is good!!

Posted (edited)

Ok I know Cymbalta has warnings about liver issues. And before starting the med I drank quite a bit. I haven't had a drop to drink in two weeks and decided to have some tonight (it's my weakness). My thoughts are I'll only drink every 2-3 weeks (as opposed to 5 nights a week). I feel much better when I'm not drinking anyway. My question though - how bad is it that I drink on occasion? It's not hard alcohol. I know it counteracts the anti-depressant.. but as far as liver issues?

jbr, I used to have anywhere from 2-4 drinks a day around 4:00 pm, just before dinner. Alcohol and lemonade, only doubles!!! Like having 8 drinks!! Funny, being on Cymbalta, I really have no desire to have them anymore. I used to like the little buzz in the afternoon, but I really don't think about it now. I just feel different, better. No need for the buzz. Not to say I won't have a drink when I go out to dinner, but the point is, I seem to have got away fron the alchahol........Good thing I guess! I think my liver says thanks!!

Edited by lindahurt

Posted

Some sweating here as well, but is getting better. I didn't sweat profusely, just enough to be a pain. But it has subsided.

Posted

Hello, we are not professionals of course, none of us are here on DF, and its hard when there is a mix of meds to target *one* that might be causing some afternoon fatigue. *if* by any chance it is the cymbalta, just hand in there as Tim pointed out you are well within the beginning of the cymbalta med regime and it takes like 6 to 8 weeks to become fully effective and this *could* be one of those irritating little minor side effects that vanishes with time. ALL AD's have initial side effects but they vanish with time. Also as Tim pointed out Klonopin makes me sleepy, I need it for anxiety issues but I do get drowsy when I take it. Right now, your mind is adapting to cymbalta and its aswirl with your happy hormones being stimulated, and I wouild just recommend to go with the flow and enjoy the extra nap, and dont forget that when sleeping it helps the brain to heal itself. Its not uncommon for AD's to energize or have some sedating effects when first starting on them. But this side effect will vanish over time. Two weeks is still *very early* in the game for an AD, week three I think you will start to see a ray of sunlight in the clouds so to speak and week 4,5,6 etc... each should make you feel progressively better. I always struggle myself in the first two weeks with side effects but they soon begin to vanish, some people they vanish faster, some take a little longer, the main thing is to hang in there and allow it to work and after a month or so see your doctor and get a good evaluation of how you are feeling then vs when you first started taking the med.

I wish I knew the exact dosage of cymbalta you are taking, I do know that 30 mg is a little sub-par for depression for most people but if you are med sensitive its good the doctor starts you at a lower dose because that might work fine, most people I think are prescribed 60 mg, but then you have med resistant people who take 90mg and even there is 120 mg.

Just so you know where yoiu stand on your dosage for cymbalta. If you were referring to cymbalta at 37.5 mg, that might be a little sub-par for you but this is something you discuss with your doctor after giving it a good four to six weeks to start to kick in well...

Good Luck and best wishes.

the afternoon fatigue for me is bad - almost to the point where I think I'm narcoleptic. Doesn't matter how much I sleep, caffiene, etc. I get little episodes of cataplexy.

I went from 60MG and dropped back to 30 MG to see if that would help, doesn't seem to be.

After doing a little research, I actually think I may have sleep apnea (which can contribute to depression), so I am going to the MD to see if I can get a sleep study.

Posted

Pharma30

I hope the medical evaluation is helpful to you. I know if I hit more than just a little for lunch I get very sleepy on Cymbalta (actually on Luvox too)

Best to you,

Tim

Posted

Hello all!

I have not noticed a 'slump', per se...that I would attribute to the Cymbalta(60mgs). Maybe my 'slump' is due to the awesome fact that for me, the Cymbalta has helped to save my sunshine...

I am feeling better than I have in a very long time! I just finished a move which def adds to the fatigue, but naps are my friend!

So, back to the query...I can say that during the initial period of Cymbalta, there wasn't any noticeable change in my energy levels or lack thereof.

My best wishes to each and every one of you!

{{{Hugs}}} from Peace