Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Cymbalta Questions

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 jbr012710

jbr012710

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:26 PM

I had crazy dreams on Zoloft, and slightly less crazy dreams on Effexor... but last night I had the most INSANE dreams ever on Cymbalta... is that normal?

#2 BetterOff

BetterOff

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,232 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:18 PM

Hello, if you are in the intital stages of adapting to Cymbalta, indeed you can have some really bizzare and horrific dreams. But the longer you stick to the medication, the less vivid and disturbing they will become. You didnt say if you just started a cymbalta regime or have been on it for a while, but I would say allow a good three months for dreams to settle in when starting any AD. Remember the med is doing a real number on your hormones right now and everything is jumbled up and being stimulated (if you are still in the initial 6 to 8 weeks of starting the med) and for me it takes even more time for me personally to smooth out on a medication. I think *personally* that even after 2 months the brain is still adapting to a small degree and that effects of the med will still pop up now and then.
If its been over three months and these dreams are still bothering you, perhaps your doctor can prescribe a sleeping aide to help with these issues, so definately talk to him about this. If the medication is working, and you only have really vivid dreams now and then, I think the benefits of the med would outweight the occasional distressing dream.
Good Luck and best wishes, sorry I am not a professional and cannot offer better advice except to say if you are still in the first three months of taking cymbalta, vivid dreams are part of your brain still settling in and getting use to the medication and I think they will vanish with time.
Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#3 charliekelly

charliekelly

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:36 AM

I can't stand them. They are repetitive, vivid, and unpleasant. Not to mention I feel like I'm waking up every 5 minutes. I don't feel rested. At all. I'm slowly stopping Cymbalta on my own after a month because my next appointment is way too far. I have to go back to work. I'm just miserable. I HATE this medication.

#4 jbr012710

jbr012710

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 02:02 PM

I suddenly am breaking out a lot on my chin and I typically have very clear skin. Could Cymbalta be to blame? Just started it Wednesday.

#5 Tim 52

Tim 52

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 02:49 PM

Hi jbr:

It is not a common side effect. But that does not mean that your acne outbreak isn't related to the Cymbalta. I'd check in with your doctor.

Sorry this is happening. I'm guessing it will pass or your doctor will have a decent answer for you.

Best,

Tim

goldenvelope1jr.gifInformation supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor. 

#6 VincentR

VincentR

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:14 PM

It happend to me too. I used to have clear skin but now a got a few acnes. It started with Cymbalta use.

[]'s

#7 VincentR

VincentR

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:18 PM

I'm on Cymbalta and I have clear vivid dreams with lots of emotional charge. I forget them as soon as I wake up.. I don't like this but Cymbalta is doing a good job on me, I used to have panic syndrome and depression.

#8 Kim1969

Kim1969

• PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:08 AM

I have had some really vivid dreams since I started weaning myself off cymbalta. I find then interesting though and not at all disturbing. I don't recall having vivid or disturbing dreams when I started cymbalta.

#9 jbr012710

jbr012710

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:42 PM

Ok I know Cymbalta has warnings about liver issues. And before starting the med I drank quite a bit. I haven't had a drop to drink in two weeks and decided to have some tonight (it's my weakness). My thoughts are I'll only drink every 2-3 weeks (as opposed to 5 nights a week). I feel much better when I'm not drinking anyway. My question though - how bad is it that I drink on occasion? It's not hard alcohol. I know it counteracts the anti-depressant.. but as far as liver issues?

Edited by lindahurt, 07 March 2011 - 10:40 AM.

#10 jbr012710

jbr012710

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:50 PM

I see so much negative publicity about Cymbalta and I wanted to share my personal story - although very beginning stages... of a positive experience. I think people are more apt to report bad experiences and many people say Cymbalta sucks only after going through withdrawals from stopping it. I took Zoloft for a year with minimal success but the withdrawals were horrendous when I stopped. That doesn't mean the drug itself didn't work when I took it. Most AD will have awful withdrawals no matter how slowly you stop them.

Anyway - after two weeks on Cymbalta I feel a lot better. I was having a lot of suicidal thoughts and those have disappeared. I was constantly eating junk, but now I have the willpower and determination to watch my portions and calories. I used to want to drink all the time - and now I haven't touched alcohol for 2 weeks (well I am drinking a little something tonight). I don't hate myself as much, I feel less angry, and I feel generally calm. I was worried about taking this drug because of all the negative reviews but I'm one of those that so far has had a good experience. I'm losing a bit of weight and feel great! I've tried Wellbutrin, Zoloft, and Effexor and NONE of them worked.... in fact my suicidal thoughts increased on Effexor. There is hope out there for people suffering from anxiety and depression. I think sticking with Cymbalta may be the key to my success. (I must also note I've never taken a "name brand" drug... this is my first name brand drug. Not sure if that means anything but I've heard generics can work less effectively).

Good luck to everyone else out there. Keep trying and you'll find your med.

PS - I also take 100mg of Lamictal (mood stabilizer) and .5mg of Klonopin (anxiety med) daily as well.. The combo of these three has worked so well for my issues.

Edited by lindahurt, 04 March 2011 - 07:55 PM.

#11 jbr012710

jbr012710

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:56 PM

I previously took Effexor (still on a low dose as I'm weaning off) and I swear I sweat like a pig. It's so embarrassing. I'm not just talking about pits either. I mean my whole body sweats. Face, pits, other areas... I used to the be the type who was cold all the time now I find myself with a fan on my face at all times during work. Now I'm on Cymbalta and the sweating has not ceased.. but I'm still on Effexor too. Is sweating while on Cymbalta fairly common? I use prescription strength deodorants and powder in other sweaty areas but to no avail. I'm a professional and don't want to be the smelly sweaty girl. Any advice, suggestions, etc? Is if just the effexor causing the sweat? God I hope so. I'm coming off it very soon.

#12 Guest_lucyvp_*

Guest_lucyvp_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:11 PM

yes, a side effect of cymbalta is perspiration. I do not know about effexor, but i wouldn't be surprised because both meds are in the same class (SNRI). Hopefully, that side effect will abate, but i was on a tricyclic antidepressant for 16 years and i always sweated alot :P

#13 Velthir

Velthir

Moderator - Technician

• Admin Team-Moderator
  • 498 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 06:09 AM

I previously took Effexor (still on a low dose as I'm weaning off) and I swear I sweat like a pig. It's so embarrassing. I'm not just talking about pits either. I mean my whole body sweats. Face, pits, other areas... I used to the be the type who was cold all the time now I find myself with a fan on my face at all times during work. Now I'm on Cymbalta and the sweating has not ceased.. but I'm still on Effexor too. Is sweating while on Cymbalta fairly common? I use prescription strength deodorants and powder in other sweaty areas but to no avail. I'm a professional and don't want to be the smelly sweaty girl. Any advice, suggestions, etc? Is if just the effexor causing the sweat? God I hope so. I'm coming off it very soon.

I've had increased sweating on Cymbalta, but for me it has gotten a lot better over time as I've gotten used to the meds. Had to go through the same thing again when I went up to 90mg, but again it has gotten better.

Dx: Bipolar II/III (antidepressant induced mixed states/hypomania)
Rx: 400mg lamotrigine (Lamictal), 800 mg/day of carbamazepine (Tegretol XR), 600 mg/day Zyban (bupropion/Wellbutrin SR)
Failed meds: Cymbalta, citalopram (Celexa), agomelatine (Valdoxan), lofepramine, mirtazapine (Remeron), sertraline (Zoloft), aripiprazole (Abilify), quetiapine (Seroquel), trimipramine (Surmontil)
Partial-success: nortriptyline/Pamelor, moclobemide (Aurorix/Manerix), reboxetine

goldenvelope1jr.gif

#14 Velthir

Velthir

Moderator - Technician

• Admin Team-Moderator
  • 498 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 06:14 AM

I'd *guess* you'll be okay as long as you don't have any underlying conditions, the leaflet itself just says 'care should be taken if you drink alcohol while you are being treated with Cymbalta'. And I've so far been okay with drinking very occasionally (couple of times a month, if that) on Cymbalta, but standard disclaimer that you should probably check with your doctor if you're worried.

Dx: Bipolar II/III (antidepressant induced mixed states/hypomania)
Rx: 400mg lamotrigine (Lamictal), 800 mg/day of carbamazepine (Tegretol XR), 600 mg/day Zyban (bupropion/Wellbutrin SR)
Failed meds: Cymbalta, citalopram (Celexa), agomelatine (Valdoxan), lofepramine, mirtazapine (Remeron), sertraline (Zoloft), aripiprazole (Abilify), quetiapine (Seroquel), trimipramine (Surmontil)
Partial-success: nortriptyline/Pamelor, moclobemide (Aurorix/Manerix), reboxetine

goldenvelope1jr.gif

#15 Tim 52

Tim 52

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 12:12 PM

Yep, check with your doctor. Remember that alcohol is a depressant (I know you you know that). And you do want to take good care of your liver which is already working hard on processing Cymbalta.

Tim

goldenvelope1jr.gifInformation supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor. 

#16 jbr012710

jbr012710

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 01:48 PM

I've been on Cymbalta for 2 weeks and it seems like every day after 12 I get extreme fatigue. Lately when I get off work I take a 2-3 hour nap before I go to bed. I'm also weaning off Effexor XR and taking 37.5mg daily. I also take Lamictal and Klonopin daily. Why might I be so tired? For example I could take a nap right now. I'm exhausted. Is it the Cymbalta?

#17 Tim 52

Tim 52

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:28 PM

Jbr:

Sorry you have had a time of fatique. You will want to confer with your doctor about the tired feeling.

You are pretty early still in the trial of Cymbalta. Sometimes the energy level evens out over time.

Klonopin can make people tired too.

Wishing you the best,

Tim

#18 BetterOff

BetterOff

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,232 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 03:41 PM

Hello, we are not professionals of course, none of us are here on DF, and its hard when there is a mix of meds to target *one* that might be causing some afternoon fatigue. *if* by any chance it is the cymbalta, just hand in there as Tim pointed out you are well within the beginning of the cymbalta med regime and it takes like 6 to 8 weeks to become fully effective and this *could* be one of those irritating little minor side effects that vanishes with time. ALL AD's have initial side effects but they vanish with time. Also as Tim pointed out Klonopin makes me sleepy, I need it for anxiety issues but I do get drowsy when I take it. Right now, your mind is adapting to cymbalta and its aswirl with your happy hormones being stimulated, and I wouild just recommend to go with the flow and enjoy the extra nap, and dont forget that when sleeping it helps the brain to heal itself. Its not uncommon for AD's to energize or have some sedating effects when first starting on them. But this side effect will vanish over time. Two weeks is still *very early* in the game for an AD, week three I think you will start to see a ray of sunlight in the clouds so to speak and week 4,5,6 etc... each should make you feel progressively better. I always struggle myself in the first two weeks with side effects but they soon begin to vanish, some people they vanish faster, some take a little longer, the main thing is to hang in there and allow it to work and after a month or so see your doctor and get a good evaluation of how you are feeling then vs when you first started taking the med.
I wish I knew the exact dosage of cymbalta you are taking, I do know that 30 mg is a little sub-par for depression for most people but if you are med sensitive its good the doctor starts you at a lower dose because that might work fine, most people I think are prescribed 60 mg, but then you have med resistant people who take 90mg and even there is 120 mg.
Just so you know where yoiu stand on your dosage for cymbalta. If you were referring to cymbalta at 37.5 mg, that might be a little sub-par for you but this is something you discuss with your doctor after giving it a good four to six weeks to start to kick in well...
Good Luck and best wishes.
Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#19 Guest_lucyvp_*

Guest_lucyvp_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:50 PM

jbr,

Thanks for sharing your success story. I hope you have many many years of symptom-free happiness :)

lucyvp

#20 Luke

Luke

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:45 AM

JBR, I'm in your position as well with Cymbalta. It really does work given a chance. I still have a bit of lightheadedness, hopefully that will pass. I've been on it going on a month now. Funny thing, I've lost a few pounds as well. Depression gone, no anxiety, and feel really calm. Life is good!!

#21 Luke

Luke

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:03 AM

Ok I know Cymbalta has warnings about liver issues. And before starting the med I drank quite a bit. I haven't had a drop to drink in two weeks and decided to have some tonight (it's my weakness). My thoughts are I'll only drink every 2-3 weeks (as opposed to 5 nights a week). I feel much better when I'm not drinking anyway. My question though - how bad is it that I drink on occasion? It's not hard alcohol. I know it counteracts the anti-depressant.. but as far as liver issues?

jbr, I used to have anywhere from 2-4 drinks a day around 4:00 pm, just before dinner. Alcohol and lemonade, only doubles!!! Like having 8 drinks!! Funny, being on Cymbalta, I really have no desire to have them anymore. I used to like the little buzz in the afternoon, but I really don't think about it now. I just feel different, better. No need for the buzz. Not to say I won't have a drink when I go out to dinner, but the point is, I seem to have got away fron the alchahol........Good thing I guess! I think my liver says thanks!!

Edited by lindahurt, 07 March 2011 - 10:50 AM.

#22 Luke

Luke

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:10 AM

Some sweating here as well, but is getting better. I didn't sweat profusely, just enough to be a pain. But it has subsided.

#23 pharm30

pharm30

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:34 AM

Hello, we are not professionals of course, none of us are here on DF, and its hard when there is a mix of meds to target *one* that might be causing some afternoon fatigue. *if* by any chance it is the cymbalta, just hand in there as Tim pointed out you are well within the beginning of the cymbalta med regime and it takes like 6 to 8 weeks to become fully effective and this *could* be one of those irritating little minor side effects that vanishes with time. ALL AD's have initial side effects but they vanish with time. Also as Tim pointed out Klonopin makes me sleepy, I need it for anxiety issues but I do get drowsy when I take it. Right now, your mind is adapting to cymbalta and its aswirl with your happy hormones being stimulated, and I wouild just recommend to go with the flow and enjoy the extra nap, and dont forget that when sleeping it helps the brain to heal itself. Its not uncommon for AD's to energize or have some sedating effects when first starting on them. But this side effect will vanish over time. Two weeks is still *very early* in the game for an AD, week three I think you will start to see a ray of sunlight in the clouds so to speak and week 4,5,6 etc... each should make you feel progressively better. I always struggle myself in the first two weeks with side effects but they soon begin to vanish, some people they vanish faster, some take a little longer, the main thing is to hang in there and allow it to work and after a month or so see your doctor and get a good evaluation of how you are feeling then vs when you first started taking the med.
I wish I knew the exact dosage of cymbalta you are taking, I do know that 30 mg is a little sub-par for depression for most people but if you are med sensitive its good the doctor starts you at a lower dose because that might work fine, most people I think are prescribed 60 mg, but then you have med resistant people who take 90mg and even there is 120 mg.
Just so you know where yoiu stand on your dosage for cymbalta. If you were referring to cymbalta at 37.5 mg, that might be a little sub-par for you but this is something you discuss with your doctor after giving it a good four to six weeks to start to kick in well...
Good Luck and best wishes.

the afternoon fatigue for me is bad - almost to the point where I think I'm narcoleptic. Doesn't matter how much I sleep, caffiene, etc. I get little episodes of cataplexy.
I went from 60MG and dropped back to 30 MG to see if that would help, doesn't seem to be.

After doing a little research, I actually think I may have sleep apnea (which can contribute to depression), so I am going to the MD to see if I can get a sleep study.

#24 Tim 52

Tim 52

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:17 AM

Pharma30

I hope the medical evaluation is helpful to you. I know if I hit more than just a little for lunch I get very sleepy on Cymbalta (actually on Luvox too)

Best to you,

Tim

#25 ISOpeace4all

ISOpeace4all

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 03:53 PM

Hello all!

I have not noticed a 'slump', per se...that I would attribute to the Cymbalta(60mgs). Maybe my 'slump' is due to the awesome fact that for me, the Cymbalta has helped to save my sunshine...
I am feeling better than I have in a very long time! I just finished a move which def adds to the fatigue, but naps are my friend!
So, back to the query...I can say that during the initial period of Cymbalta, there wasn't any noticeable change in my energy levels or lack thereof.
My best wishes to each and every one of you!
{{{Hugs}}} from Peace

#26 jbr012710

jbr012710

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 11:56 AM

So been on Cymbalta over 2 weeks and was doing well then bam - took a nosedive into a deep depression. Then today my husband tells me I'm the only one who can fix this. What else am I supposed to do? I see a psychiatrist, tried a host of medications, tried nearly everything. It's something I just can't control on my own. I asked him if I'm the only one who can fix myself what does he think I should do and he couldn't answer me. Now I'm about 100X more depressed than I was after he said that. It's like I'm so depressed I can barely function, then people who are supposed to support me basically tell me to get over it. It's really upsetting and I feel like I have nowhere to turn. Anyone else going through this? It's not like I want to be like this. It's not like I'm purposefully depressed. It's not like I'm not trying to get help but I can't just fix myself.

#27 BetterOff

BetterOff

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,232 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 12:07 PM

Hello, please relax and try to stay calm and dont panick or get depressed over that comment. I have seen posts like yours 1000 times on DF. Yes, I agree with you totally, it makes you wanna respond with "hey, you think I love dwelling in depression" or "dont you think I would fix it if I could, Im not a masochist you know" or some other such comeback.
Its my experience that some people are simply immune to depression. My sisters husband is the same way, she gets frustrated when he tells her to "just get over it". But she is savy enough to realize that *his* family is totally depression and mental illness free and they just *cant* relate to what she is going through, while my family has *horrible* genes on both sides of the family... wont go into details but suffice to say, bad news from both parents when I was born.
Do try and cut him a *little* slack in that he is probably like my sisters husband. Nobody who has dwelled in depression can really relate. Its just not something they have experienced and try not to get frustrated with him. I am sure he loves you and wants you well, but probably he is frustrated as like you said, he has no answer to your issues.
I am firing this off asap and will follow up with more but I wanted to try and pull you back up some with positive support!
Best wishes.

#28 WorkingTowardsaBetterLife

WorkingTowardsaBetterLife

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 12:12 PM

So been on Cymbalta over 2 weeks and was doing well then bam - took a nosedive into a deep depression. Then today my husband tells me I'm the only one who can fix this. What else am I supposed to do? I see a psychiatrist, tried a host of medications, tried nearly everything. It's something I just can't control on my own. I asked him if I'm the only one who can fix myself what does he think I should do and he couldn't answer me. Now I'm about 100X more depressed than I was after he said that. It's like I'm so depressed I can barely function, then people who are supposed to support me basically tell me to get over it. It's really upsetting and I feel like I have nowhere to turn. Anyone else going through this? It's not like I want to be like this. It's not like I'm purposefully depressed. It's not like I'm not trying to get help but I can't just fix myself.

Yes I empathize. I do it to myself even. Why can't I be normal, why can't i just hold it together. My Dad, BP also, why don't you just pray more like I do. Yeah right. That's worked so well for him he was homeless through bad decisions for a year.

I had a panic attack this morning and started cussing and screaming because I misplaced my wallet. Whew found it after 15 minutes.

Ask some of the jackasses do you actually think I wish to be like this, c'mon. I do believe you can help your situation by realizing your thoughts can be your friend or enemy. I am hoping to learn CBT and have done a little reading on it.

Additionally, exercise and meditation can help.

This is a struggle and a process which takes effort to be resolved. I would love to think myself no Bipolar, GAD, and eating disorders. I have tried very hard to to just that. Hypnosis, meditation, 12 steps, you name it. They all work but never completely resolve the issue. I may be relegated to a life of meds, d*** that's depressing.

I do believe we have a choice on how we view the world. Right now its bright and sunny outside. I can chose to focus on that or I can wallow in my own self pity. Frankly, I do both, LOL.

Let your husband know that while you know he means well that's no be supportive and suggest ways he can be more supportive. Because I have heard similar from my wife.

#29 BetterOff

BetterOff

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,232 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 12:19 PM

Hello again, had to allow some time to pass before I could add more. I know where you are at, its where I am at. We both desperately want to get well, depression is a horrible feeling especially if your stressed and having problems coping. I hope you *are* seeking professional medical assistance, if not you are doing yourself (in my opinion) a vast disservice and if you are getting help, then I think your meds need some re-evaluation because you should be able to let comments like that roll off of you. Mind you, I am not dissing you at all, quite the contrary, I agree the comment was in bad taste from someone who doesnt fully understand and hope you realize he didnt mean that in any harmful way. He is at a loss to help, hes not a doctor, not a professional therapist, etc... Spouses with depressed other halfs have trouble relating, that is all... I *do* suggest couples counseling, *or* letting him come with you to see your doctor on your next medical evaluation *or* if you see your doctor for the first time for help (which I highly recommend if you havent), but both a doctor and a counselor can explain this better to your husband that depression is often a physical illness and *not* a mental one. You could very well be *clinically* depressed, i.e. your brain doesnt produce enough happy hormones, like a diabetic has low blood sugar levels but instead of an injection each morning for diabetes, you have to take a pill to keep those happy hormones up! Once a spouse can understand that this is a PHYSICAL illness and not necessarily a mental illness, they will have a better understanding that indeed you *cannot* just get over it.
Print out my messages if you wish and show them to your husband. He needs to understand that you have an illness, you are *not* well, and its not just something you can get over it. Even if your depression is due to a situation instead of being clinical, its still an illness and he needs to be made aware of this, then perhaps you will get that understanding you so desire.
Again I stress I am sure he loves you, but is probably very very besides himself on what to do to help! Tell him a good hug and kiss will do wonders in helping you to feel better. Seriously when I hug someone, I get an adrenaline rush of good feelings, ask him to hug you alot and tell him you really need to be told numberous times right now how much he loves you so that you feel re-assured in your relationship, and again I ask you to print out my responses and show them to your husband.
Good Luck and best wishs and I invite yoiu to PM (private message me) if you feel you need to talk about this in private with someone, I am a very supporting person who relates to how you feel, trust me....

#30 hunnydewxox

hunnydewxox

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 12:49 PM

I'm on Cymbalta and I have clear vivid dreams with lots of emotional charge. I forget them as soon as I wake up

The same thing happens to me, when I wake up I don't remember the dream, but they're very emotionally taxing...if that makes any sense?
I sometimes wake up mid panic attack, which terrifies me because on top of the panic, I become really disoriented...I didn't used to have panic attacks waking me up before I went on Cymbalta though...

#31 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 06:46 PM

Are you feeling any better? I too had to take some flack from my father, who being of "The Greatest Generation" cannot understand why I'm depressed. Ironically, his own Dr. just recently prescribed Lexapro for him! I really wanted to do the "Who's talking now?" bit, but out of respect for my elders (ha!). . . It's difficult when you encounter people who think you should just be able to "Snap out of it". That advice is absurd, because this is a real medical condition, just like hypertension or anything else. It just so happens to impact the brain! As you feel better, it will become easier to ignore these comments and realize that in getting clinical advice and taking medications you are helping yourself.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#32 missme

missme

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:43 PM

I had crazy dreams on Zoloft, and slightly less crazy dreams on Effexor... but last night I had the most INSANE dreams ever on Cymbalta... is that normal?

I have been on Cymbalta for about 2 years now. It works great for me but dreams are insane. I never used to be able to sleep or the dreams always woke me up in a bad way (when i first started the drug)
. But now I pretty much am used to them. I still wake up in massive sweats sometimes and the dreams are so real and emotional, but when I finally am awake- It doesnt bother me too much. I always remember them though. I think I could make some really good movies from my dreams LOL.

Best of luck and if you need to talk, feel free to inbox me
xo

#33 jbr012710

jbr012710

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:45 PM

He's asked me several times when I'm severely depressed "what's so wrong with your life?" and recently told me "you're the only one who controls your life"... so according to him all of my therapy, meds, psychiatrist visits, and non medical attempts to fix my depression were bogus. So should I just quit my meds cold turkey and show him how much I control my own mind? I think I will. He'll see how dizzy, crazy, crying, and awful I am. But he obviously thinks I'm making this up. I told him I wish to die and he screamed to me that I'm selfish. My pain is unbearable but I guess I'm selfish, control my own life, and have an amazing life that shouldn't cause depression.

#34 missme

missme

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:46 PM

I tend to go home and nap for an hour or two before I head up to the gym, come home to cook dinner and then bed.
I am a pretty lethargic person anyway. Try speaking to your doc
xox

#35 missme

missme

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:49 PM

Thankyou for sharing :)
I havent read many bad stories as yet but am pretty new to the forums, but have been on Cymbalta for a while now. Overall it works for me. Much better than zoloft and a few others i tried.

Best of luck to you :)

#36 missme

missme

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:53 PM

Great thread! I sweat a lot while I sleep. I have never been much of a sweater, and I dont get BO when i perspire. I must say I am used to it now, it is annoying at times, especially when i wake up saturated. I also find that when i go to the gym, I sweat 100 times more than everyone else LOL. especially my face- but otherwis my entire body.
It isnt a huge deal for me anymore, I guess its a good thing i dont get smelly BO sweat in zumba class LOL

#37 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:20 PM

I recommend taking your medication, continuing your therapy, and asking your therapist the best way to respond to his negative comments. Have you tried to give him any articles to read regarding your condition, or is he not open to that? I believe if you go off your meds. cold turkey, you will be miserable. You need to surround yourself with people who do understand, and suffer from the same condition. Remember too that many of us have been where you are - suffering even mockery from loved ones who do not understand. Try to keep your head up and know you are doing the right thing by getting help. We're here to listen if it helps any.

He's asked me several times when I'm severely depressed "what's so wrong with your life?" and recently told me "you're the only one who controls your life"... so according to him all of my therapy, meds, psychiatrist visits, and non medical attempts to fix my depression were bogus. So should I just quit my meds cold turkey and show him how much I control my own mind? I think I will. He'll see how dizzy, crazy, crying, and awful I am. But he obviously thinks I'm making this up. I told him I wish to die and he screamed to me that I'm selfish. My pain is unbearable but I guess I'm selfish, control my own life, and have an amazing life that shouldn't cause depression.

Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users