Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Hyperthymia, Hypomania And The Bipolar Spectrum

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bisous

bisous

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:14 PM

so i know the line between hypomania and mania is an arbitrarily fuzzy one, but what about the line between hyperthymia or the hyperthymic temperament and hypomania? i've been reading a little about the way bipolar and unipolar depression are being imagined on a spectrum from bipolar I, to bipolar II, cyclothymia, depression w/ hyperthymic temperament, dysthymia, major unipolar depression... do you think it's useful to imagine mood disorders like that? or less useful? [i guess in particular you can have a major depressive episode being bipolar I or II..] the rigidity of diagnoses in the DSM seems to be something that prevents bipolar in particular being diagnosed a lot of the time.

but anyway, yeah, hyperthymia, what is it? what significance does it have for bipolar? e.g. would you say hyperthymics with a major depressive episode were more on the bipolar spectrum than non-hyperthymics or dysthymics with a major depressive episode? what about anti-depressant induced hypomania?

i have to admit my interest is not purely scientific here - although it is mainly scientific.

i was quite "up" earlier today, which is always interesting; music sounds nicer, food tastes amazing and everything becomes sort of more physically pleasurable, i become exorbitantly satisfied with myself and my talents, i become more energetic (i ran most of the way to uni today although i can usually only be bothered to get the bus, while i was cleaning i hurt myself, i have to skip and run everywhere, i have to start doing everything at once) and get somewhat overoptimistic ideas and plans about the future... today i decided i'd go and do some photojournalism at the weekend at my friend's protest and everyone would love me and it would be amazing, spent £30 on the travel before realising hours later i had something else to do at the same time that i couldn't miss... goodbye £30. everything becomes more FUN. sometimes i also get more angry (i met up with my friend the other week and threw my phone on the floor because of an argument before playing his kazoo at people on the underground), anxious, shaky... HOWEVER, this never lasts more than maybe 4-6 hours. ever! thank heavens, because it makes me ****** tired and exhaustion makes me sad. i much prefer the balance where i focus on my work and so on. i ALSO (before anyone says points this out) recognise this is not at all hypomania and i'm not saying it is that. but i am wondering if the ups are connected to the downs... which i certainly am sure about.
someone will also tell me to just go to the doctor and stop reading. i) i misremembered the time of my doc's appointment this morning so i have to wait another 2 weeks :( ii) i figure if i can figure it out i can also figure out how to stabilise myself (i have a friend staying over at the moment and lots of crap to do but once i get it sorted out i'm going to draw up a strict sleep-work-exercise regime, cut out coffee and alcohol and OTC opiates, etc), at least enough so that i don't fail uni D: iii) it is my natural instinct to read and analyse :( sorryyyyyyy

Edited by lindahurt, 24 February 2011 - 12:37 PM.

#2 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,909 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:09 PM

There is Bipolar NOS. It's where diagnosis is not definite. There are episodes of hypermania, hypomania and various stages of depression. I think this is where hyperthymia falls. As far as diagnosis, that is left up to a pdoc. Diagnosing yourself is not healthy. With Bipolar, medical management is necessary. It's not something you can manage on your own. Yes, ADs alone can trigger manic episodes. I've been through this myself. That is how I was finally diagnosed. I am stable now on a combo of 5 meds. It's not saying that you will need as many meds to be stable. I'm BP I and have the hypermania where I'm completely out of control and then have crushing depression.

My first go round with college, I was undiagnosed. Needlesstosay, classes and studying were near impossible. I would push deadlines and cram for tests. Somehow managed to make the dean's list and the Honor Society. The second go round ended in disaster and I never graduated.
Sheepwoman
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users