Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Alcoholism And Cymbalta Use

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jbr012710

jbr012710

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:05 PM

Never been formally diagnosed, but I would say I'm an alcoholic. It actually started 2 years ago when I started Zoloft. It seemed like my urge to drink increased X100. It was somewhat of a downward spiral from there. I was also in a bad job which didn't help and had a death in the family. Anyway - I started Cymbalta today and know it is harder on the liver than other drugs. My questions are - would my urge to drink decrease on Cymbalta? (I've heard this). If I've been a moderate drinker the past two years, should I make sure my liver is healthy now before getting too far into my treatment? I'm a little worried. Any thoughts?

#2 BetterOff

BetterOff

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,232 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:37 PM

Hello, methinks you should see a doctor about a liver test?? They can take a blood sample and I think tell you its okay to start the cymbalta. This might set your mind to rest and of course its always best to get a doctors opinion as we are not doctors here. I would hate to tell you something wrong as I would feel terrible giving this type of advice which is wayyy over my head. But you can call your doctor get a blood test set up for the same day, go in and have a liver assessment i.e. fuctions are within normal ranges and then its a go!!!!
Please remember, if you were *ever* going to stop drinking, now is the time because anti-depressants and alcohol are a very bad mix and can make you sick and work against the anti-depressant.
Once you start cymbalta, its definately a no more drinking from them on. Besides alcohol is a depressant and thats exactly what you need to stay away from, (sorry to sound preachy, I think you already knew this but just in case....)
good Luck and best wishes and I am rooting for you. IN fact i watch some threads better than others, so return and let us know how it goes. And fyi, be prepared for a fairly rough first two weeks on the AD, it can be a little hard starting one up but once you are established on one, it feels gooood!!!
Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#3 Guest_lucyvp_*

Guest_lucyvp_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:49 PM

Never been formally diagnosed, but I would say I'm an alcoholic. It actually started 2 years ago when I started Zoloft. It seemed like my urge to drink increased X100. It was somewhat of a downward spiral from there. I was also in a bad job which didn't help and had a death in the family. Anyway - I started Cymbalta today and know it is harder on the liver than other drugs. My questions are - would my urge to drink decrease on Cymbalta? (I've heard this). If I've been a moderate drinker the past two years, should I make sure my liver is healthy now before getting too far into my treatment? I'm a little worried. Any thoughts?

jbr,
From reading your post, i would assume that your prescribing doctor does not know about your drinking. It is very important for you to be candid with him both about the fact that you drink regularly and also the amount. Your discussions with your doctor would be confidential, of course. I would encourage you to speak to your doctor about this issue asap, as failing to do so puts your health at serious risk.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

#4 ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:00 AM

Hi jbr, there is a good article posted in the 'Effexor' board about AD's and a compulsion for alcohol. It was posted by the admin. I have known two close friends for years and noticed a sudden huge increase in drinking. All of their friends thought this was very odd, since then didn't drink before. Well, to make a long story short, the post is in the Effexor board and the pinned post is titled; Alcohol Cravings Induced via Increased Serotonin. However the article is not inclusive to effexor. Maybe this can help.

Art

"....it's been indoctrinated into the culture and TV advertising to the point where people believe it as fact."

"We occasionally stumble over the truth but most of us pick ourselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."

#5 jbr012710

jbr012710

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:36 PM

My doctor is aware of my drinking issues. I haven't drank the past two days since starting the med. I would like to stop drinking anyway - not just because of the meds. Drinking has caused me to gain weight and slowed my healing from depression.

#6 pharm30

pharm30

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 04:06 PM

My doctor is aware of my drinking issues. I haven't drank the past two days since starting the med. I would like to stop drinking anyway - not just because of the meds. Drinking has caused me to gain weight and slowed my healing from depression.

I've found I seem to get drunk with less beers since starting Cymbalta.
Feel buzzed after 2-3 beers instead of 5-6, so be careful if you are out.

#7 bluetrue

bluetrue

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 07:05 PM

I am guilty of having drank while on effexor and I found my drinking got totally out of control I could not get enough. I was always a drinker but now am struggling to stop. I am off the meds and been trying to give up alcahol I lasted 10 days before drinking again and am now back at day 3 with new determination.
Please be kind to youself and don't drink with medication it is a deadly combination. I feel I am lucky to be alive the way I was living at the time.
I wish you well.

#8 CatHandcuffs

CatHandcuffs

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:28 PM

I have always been quite the drinker, but since starting Cymbalta it has reached new levels. It seems as though I have not only an increased urge to consume alcohol, but also an ability to drink far larger quantities than ever before. I managed to down a liter of alcohol over one evening a few weeks ago, then woke up the following morning to some hair of the dog. Only vomited once, and was just really tired. I fear for my liver, but I frequently use liquor to mitigate some of the Cymbalta symptoms. Specifically the insomnnia, hand tremors, anxiety, and headaches. I have also gained so much weight since starting this drug that I prefer drinking over eating anyway....

Edited by CatHandcuffs, 10 May 2011 - 09:40 PM.

#9 ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 11:42 AM

I have always been quite the drinker, but since starting Cymbalta it has reached new levels. It seems as though I have not only an increased urge to consume alcohol, but also an ability to drink far larger quantities than ever before. I managed to down a liter of alcohol over one evening a few weeks ago, then woke up the following morning to some hair of the dog. Only vomited once, and was just really tired. I fear for my liver, but I frequently use liquor to mitigate some of the Cymbalta symptoms. Specifically the insomnnia, hand tremors, anxiety, and headaches. I have also gained so much weight since starting this drug that I prefer drinking over eating anyway....

Two of my closest friends have had their lives destroyed by this induced compulsion for alcohol. It is very dangerous and devastating. Please tell your doctor and let the FDA know with MedWatch.

Best of luck,
Art

"....it's been indoctrinated into the culture and TV advertising to the point where people believe it as fact."

"We occasionally stumble over the truth but most of us pick ourselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."

#10 iaborn

iaborn

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:23 AM

I have read through all the posts and the same thing has happened to me! I never used to drink much, I even criticized people who drank often! I have been on Cymbalta for some time now and have been drinking every night for almost 2 years now. I can drink a lot but I hardly ever wake up with a hang over, which is GREAT since I have 2 children to get ready for school and I run a day care! I have a 12 year old that is VERY difficult to deal with, I run a day care (enough said about that) and I am so miserable its not funny! I also have a 4 yr old and I am so scared that I am ******* my liver and my body. The past 2 years have been so hard and I have had to deal with so much. I wish to return to school so bad and I cannot so that also adds to my depression. I want to stop drinking so often but at the same time the withdrawal from the Cymbalta makes me so sick to my stomach and the head tremors are awful! When I found out I was pregnant 5 yrs ago I was taking a small does and was able to stop the Cymbalta cold turkey, I am now on the highest does possible and since then I drink every night. Through my life I have always delt with depression and was diagnosed with bi-polor type 2 many years ago, so you can imagine that I have pretty much tried every type of meds. I have gained 22 pounds and counting!

The thing I am wondering is, has anyone who put a post up been able to recover and HOW!?! I know I NEED to talk to my Dr, but yet at the same time I keep avoiding it because I dont want to go through the withdrawal but I want to live for my kids! If anyone tells me they were able to stop by changing meds I would be willing to suffer the withdrawal if I knew.I just dont know what to do any more!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users