Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Is There Any Difference Between Effexor And Cymbalta?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jbr012710

jbr012710

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:54 PM

I currently take 75mg of generic Effexor XR along with 100mg of Lamictal (for mood stabilization). I've been told it's pointless to go off Effexor and on Cymbalta because they're the same. Effexor doesn't do anything for me, and in higher doses actually made me worse. Now I'm worried I'm forking over a bunch of extra money for non-generic meds that are essentially the same as what I take now.

I've tried Wellbutrin (allergic) and Zoloft - neither worked. I'm desperate for relief from my severe depression.

#2 BetterOff

BetterOff

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,232 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:13 PM

Hello, I am not a doctor or professional but I *do* think there *is* a difference between the two medications. I would seek a second opinion and preferably with a psychiatrist as they are the experts in this matter and can do a much better job diagnosising and prescribing meds than a general practioner. Mental issues is a pcyhiatrists speciality. And besides it never hurts to get an expert professional opinion as a second opinion is there?
It never hurts in my idea to get a second opinion as I want the very best help I can get.
Perhaps others more knowledgeable than I will chime in that I am incorrect, and if so i apologize, but I do think effexor and cymbalta work in different ways....
Good Luck and best wishes.
Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#3 jbr012710

jbr012710

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:20 PM

My psychiatrist is the one who prescribed me Cymbalta and is taking me off Effexor.

#4 Velthir

Velthir

Moderator - Technician

• Admin Team-Moderator
  • 498 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:01 AM

From what I understand, Effexor only affects norepinephrine at higher doses, whilst Cymbalta does at all doses (although Cymbalta never really affects dopamine at high doses like Effexor does). So it's quite possible you may notice an improvement in switching. From what I've read/heard in the past, it takes 200mg of Effexor to start affecting norepinephrine and 300mg to affect dopamine, so with any luck you'll get an improvement on Cymbalta as it'll be hitting norepinephrine straight away.

Standard disclaimer that I'm not a doctor/qualified in any way and that this is all speculation/stuff I've read on the internet though. But I'd imagine there will probably be a difference between the effects of 75mg of Effexor and the standard 60mg dose of Cymbalta.

Dx: Bipolar II/III (antidepressant induced mixed states/hypomania)
Rx: 400mg lamotrigine (Lamictal), 800 mg/day of carbamazepine (Tegretol XR), 600 mg/day Zyban (bupropion/Wellbutrin SR)
Failed meds: Cymbalta, citalopram (Celexa), agomelatine (Valdoxan), lofepramine, mirtazapine (Remeron), sertraline (Zoloft), aripiprazole (Abilify), quetiapine (Seroquel), trimipramine (Surmontil)
Partial-success: nortriptyline/Pamelor, moclobemide (Aurorix/Manerix), reboxetine

goldenvelope1jr.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users