Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Zoloft & Xanax Question....

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 2Tim1_7

2Tim1_7

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:41 AM

This is my 2nd question for the forum. After 10 years of paxil and it pooping out I switched to Zoloft 4 weeks and 2 days ago. I started at 50Mg week 1, 100Mg week 2, and 150Mg through today. For the first two weeks I felt the pit in my stomach going away and my mind stopped worrying as much. However since being on the 150 I have had some bad moments and almost had 5 pattacks. As i look back on it most of my bad anxiety is coming from 3-6 pm. I take my Z in the morning at 8 am. I have also noticed that the bad moments come after me not taking a xanax at night. Over the last 50 days I have taken 18-20 Xananx at night to help me sleep. Over the last 2 weeks I have taken 10. Night before last I did not take one and yesterday I got real anxious (as anxious as I have been on Z) about 4. At 5 when I left from work I was an anxious wreck driving home and had to take half of a xananx. My xanax is .5mg.
Either the Zoloft is peaking and affecting me most some days around 3-6 pm or I am going through xanax wd just for the few I have taken. HELP opinions needed.

#2 drypuddle00

drypuddle00

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:50 AM

I take .25 mg xanax have have been for a few years. I can take 2 per day, but try to keep it to 1. The best thing for my anxiety is to breath deep. If that does not work, then I'll put on some soft music and try to take a brief nap. If that does not work, then I pop a pill. Seems to work best for me when taking with food. I'd say maybe try cutting your .5 mg xanax in half and taking that dose. There have been days when I was able to go w/o any xanax. But I usually get xanax withdraw after a couple days w/o it and feel poorly.

#3 2Tim1_7

2Tim1_7

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 12:20 PM

Worrying about the addiction/dependence to a benzo is part of my anxiety right now. I only had to use the paxil off and on for the 10 years with no benzo or nothing else to control my anxiety.
I hope and want to be able to just use another ssri/snri without a benzo like I had for so many years before.

#4 BetterOff

BetterOff

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,232 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 12:58 PM

Hello, just wanted to chime in if I read your post correctly, it appears Zoloft is beginning to do its thing for you. If I understand your post correctly, it appears you have been tapering off the xanax. Remember it takes a full 6 to 8 weeks for your Zoloft to fully kick in and at this point you may very well be able to totally abandon the xanax. Four week or so on Zoloft (again if I read your post properly) is when it should start to really show improvement and weeks 5,6,7,8 will just continue to get better.
I say hang in there, keep tapering off on xanax usage and hopefully you can get to the point where its no longer necessary.
Best of Luck and good wishes. Time and patience are everything.
Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#5 2Tim1_7

2Tim1_7

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:32 PM

Hello, just wanted to chime in if I read your post correctly, it appears Zoloft is beginning to do its thing for you. If I understand your post correctly, it appears you have been tapering off the xanax. Remember it takes a full 6 to 8 weeks for your Zoloft to fully kick in and at this point you may very well be able to totally abandon the xanax. Four week or so on Zoloft (again if I read your post properly) is when it should start to really show improvement and weeks 5,6,7,8 will just continue to get better.
I say hang in there, keep tapering off on xanax usage and hopefully you can get to the point where its no longer necessary.
Best of Luck and good wishes. Time and patience are everything.

I am on day 2 of week 5. Yesterday was the first time I had to take an xananx to avoid a pattack. I have not taken the xananx real consistantly except every night for the last week. Then I skipped 1 night slept a little on my own and boom yesterday I was a nervous wreck most of the day then had the pattack.
I guess I need to give it longer but that is hard. I dont want to take the xanax anymore. Paxil always worked for me within 2 weeks.
I dont see many success stories about people who have an SSRI poop out on them being themself again on another. That = scarey

#6 goestoeleven

goestoeleven

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:23 AM

I found that if I took my Zoloft dose in the morning, I would get nasty spikes of anxiety, sometimes full-blown panic attacks, in the afternoon, though for me it was a little earlier, around 4 or 5 hours after taking it. Switching the dose to night seemed to help with that, though my sleep did suffer a bit.

#7 scrappychic74

scrappychic74

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:39 PM

Hello. I have been taking Zoloft for a while now. If I had to guess I would say it is about 6 to 8 months now. I started on 50mg once a day and I did that for about 8-9 weeks and it wasn't doing anything so they bumped me up to 100mg once a day. I was taking it in the morning and it was making me soooo tired at first and then around mid day I would have horrible anxiety and would have to have a .5mg Xanax. My Xanax is my chill pill. I have panic attacks as well but I can feel them coming on and I take one when I feel it coming. My Dr. says that I can take 2-0.5mg a day but I try to only take 1 a day if I need it. He switched me to Klonopin and I made a mistake taking it around the same time as my Ambien and I was "high" I guess, that is what my husband said it was and I was so sick to my stomach and I was scared of the Klonopin. They say that Klonopin taken on a regular basis 2x a day is good. They say it last longer than Xanax and does the same thing. I don't like being on any medication but if it helps me deal with my edge, depression and panic attacks and PTSD and OCD then I will take it. I hope that you and your Dr. find the right combination. Good luck.

#8 starr

starr

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:27 AM

Hi,

I just wanted to say that I am on zoloft now
and doing really well on it. I have also been
on paxil and prozac in the past and both of them
worked really well too. I just wanted to
combat your fears that another ssri wouldnt
work if you switched to it. So far every one
I have tried (except lexapro due to side effects)
has worked great for me. Every one is different
though. I hope you feel better soon.

best wishes,
starr

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users