Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Anxiety And Memory Loss, Brain Fog

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Poll: Brain Fog, Memory Loss (13 member(s) have cast votes)

What helps with Brain Fog, Memory Loss, Concentration?

1. Antidepressant? (4 votes [30.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.77%

2. Anti-anxiety medication? (3 votes [23.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

3. ADDHD Med? (1 votes [7.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

4. Herbal Remedy? (1 votes [7.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

5. Voted Other? (4 votes [30.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.77%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Sojourn

Sojourn

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:49 AM

My psych has diagnosed me as low level Bi-Polar, Addhd, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). The problem is that I think I am severely depressed and not being able to take care of myself, lack of motivation for anything, esp the routine things one is required to do to stay alive, combined with crying spells - is enough to give anyone anxiety!!! But when I tell him I don't have any mania, he says the severe anxiety is the manifestation of the mania. I have tried what seems like every known antidepressant known and none of them have helped, except Welbutrin, which made my hair fall out. So it seems his reasoning to call me bi-polar is because I haven't responded to any antidepressants. He says the low end of bi-polar can exhibit itself as just having a cycle that is "normal". My memory is terrible, short and long-term and I just seem to have brain fog constantly. If I ever had a "normal" day, I would mark it on the calendar!!! I got laid off from my job and I severely dread getting another one because I have to ask so many times for people to repeat themselves as to instructions on how to do things. It's extremely embarrassing and it makes me appear/feel like a moron. I am taking Adderall 20 mg 2-3 times a day with valium 10 mg each time. I also have a new hypothyroid issue that I have just started at the lowest does of levothyroxine and haven't had my first blood test yet to see if the dosage needs to be decreased. Does anyone know if the thyroid issue is playing into this? And shouldn't I be taking SOME type of antidepressant to combat those constant symptoms? My doc says Adderall has an antidepressant component to it, but I'm not finding that in my research. Any advice from anyone? This has been going on for years. I feel like a terminal cancer patient that is going to have to suffer for 30 more years before I die!
~ Just Another Tricky Day

#2 Guest_bayosgirl87_*

Guest_bayosgirl87_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:34 AM

I have found that the most effective remedy to the issues you're having is a proper diet. While medications are appropriate and helpful in many cases, there is no pill that will give you the nutrients you need for a healthy brain-and body-and no pill can work to its full extent on its own. I am not a Psychiatrist, but your symptoms do not sound like ADHD to me. Memory/cognition problems are very often a sign of nutrient deficiencies. Can you tell me a little bit about what your diet is like? I will try to point you in the right direction in that regard. I speak from years of frustrating personal experience--if you want a professional perspective, I recommend Primal Body Primal Mind by Nora Gedgaudas....among other sources, but that's a good starting point. I do help you feel better. My mom has issues with memory loss big-time- I can't get her to implement my suggestions, she just wants to keep taking vitamin after vitamin and wonders why they don't work. Sigh

#3 DreamAgain

DreamAgain

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 574 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:31 AM

I have had the brain fog problem as well for years. The most challenging part of my day was to get through work, college, tests, etc. The way I got through the day was to write everything down and come up with a system to get to everything relatively fast using my computer and notepads. Now that I am out of work I use my computer less but I use a notebook, and calendar and am never without them. I write everything down, what I am going to do for the day so that I get through the day otherwise I have too much stress and things don't happen.

I am convinced that good nutrition is essential and I am hoping to make more progress in that area as well. Additionally, my psychologist says that a good psychological plan is like a stool with 4 legs: 1. psychological support, 2. medication, 3. exercise and nutrition, 4.social support.
  • Fizzle likes this
Your friend, DreamAgain

"Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around."
Leo Buscaglia

"...there is no beginning or end with mental illness, just one big middle. Sometimes that thought bums me out, but other times it takes the pressure off trying to get cured."
BenLP, friend on the DepressionForum :D

Post and let go...DreamAgain

#4 LilyRain

LilyRain

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:44 AM

If you are hypothyroid, that absolutely can have an effect. Symptoms of having an underperforming thyroid include feelings of depression. If you are starting meds for that, it may help!

I am not a psychologist by any means, but you might just be on the wrong meds... It sounds like you should try antidepressants maybe! I have depression, and the memory loss and fog is a big problem of mine. It has improved somewhat when I started my meds.
  • Fizzle likes this
Posted Image

#5 Fizzle

Fizzle

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:41 PM

It's not going to work any miracles but I would also look at pharmaceutical grade and doses of fish oil (EPA).  

#6 fizzywater

fizzywater

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:37 AM

Keeping a handy list on your smart phone. Mine tend to go on forever.

Eating nuts and fresh foods is a must.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users