Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Wellbutrin Starting Up.. Scared.. Drained

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 playcrackthesky

playcrackthesky

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 05:44 PM

I've been taking the wellbutrin sr (once a day 100mg) for 6 days so far. The first day I felt high, but it wasn't too bad. The second day, I felt like I was high as kite and it scared me so much. The third day I felt high, 4th I had to go to a family event and felt like I was high, 5th day felt tired and dizzy and felt like I had the flu. Today I have felt like a total nutcase. I feel like I have the flu and nothing seems in my home seems familiar to me, I feel like I'm so detached and I'm so drained. The only relief I get is by the end of the day, when the med gets out of my system. I can actually feel them leaving my system, it feels like I'm coming down from a high from hell. At the end of the day, my brain actually hurts and pounds. I take it around 7 and it leaves me by 4ish. And by the end of the day, I'm so tired from feeling like I've been high all day. Will this get better? Will I start feeling less detached, more happy and less crazy? I'm afraid that if I continue this med further, it is going to permanently make me feel detached from reality. Please get back to me! I'm very afraid I will get further detached from reality on this.
Is this drug suppose to make you feel high all day?
Pm me.

Edited by Trace, 16 February 2011 - 05:15 AM.
E-mail removed as per TOS

#2 Trace

Trace

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,085 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 05:19 AM

Hi and Welcome playcrackthesky

Wellbutrin does have start up side effects, however and I need to mention that I am not a professional, it sounds like it is making you manic. I do not know what your diagnosis is, but if it is making you manic you need to go back to your doc. As if you have bipolar an AD can make you manic. I am not saying that you do have bipolar, many people with bipolar have been wrongly diagnosed given an AD, turn manic and then get an accurate diagnosis of bipolar. You do need to check this with your doc.

Trace
Listen in deep silence. Be very still and open your mind.... Sink deep into the peace that waits for you beyond the frantic, riotous thoughts and sights and sounds of this insane world. - A course of miracles.

True beauty must come, must be grown, from within.... - Ralph W Trine.

Posted Image

#3 Spiritual_Wanderer

Spiritual_Wanderer

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:59 AM

Yeah, Trace has given some good advice. Wellbutrin can make you feel high and wired, restless, anxious, etc., in the beginning, but I don't think it should be so strong that you can't function. Also, if it's been 6 days and you still feel incredibly high on 100mg a day, maybe you shouldn't take it. Definitely talk to your doctor!

I did get cold-like symptoms in the beginning due to side effects (mainly headache, a bit of brain fog). One 100mg a day doesn't seem like much, You may just be incredibly sensitive to this medication.

Keep us updated if you can, and please talk to your doctor right away. You shouldn't have to feel that way. Medicine is supposed to help.

:console:
Many Blessings,
SW
goldenvelope1jr.gif

Not all those who wander are lost. - J.R.R. Tolkien
Don't let the muggles get you down. ― J.K. Rowling

#4 playcrackthesky

playcrackthesky

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 12:12 PM

Yeah, Trace has given some good advice. Wellbutrin can make you feel high and wired, restless, anxious, etc., in the beginning, but I don't think it should be so strong that you can't function. Also, if it's been 6 days and you still feel incredibly high on 100mg a day, maybe you shouldn't take it. Definitely talk to your doctor!

I did get cold-like symptoms in the beginning due to side effects (mainly headache, a bit of brain fog). One 100mg a day doesn't seem like much, You may just be incredibly sensitive to this medication.

Keep us updated if you can, and please talk to your doctor right away. You shouldn't have to feel that way. Medicine is supposed to help.

Thanks. I was gonna ask my doctor to lower me down to 75xr a day. I feel discouraged :(

#5 playcrackthesky

playcrackthesky

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 03:30 PM

Update. Today.. day seven. I don't have that scary super exhausted feeling. But I do have that totally spacey feeling, like really bad. I had my scrip changed to 75mg. Anyone else experience the spacey feeling? When will it go away? Will it go away?

#6 playcrackthesky

playcrackthesky

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 03:42 PM

Hello, I'm on my 7th day of wellbutrin 100mg and today I really got hit with the spacey feeling, better than before, at least I'm not totally drained and spacey. I lowered my dose to 75 because I think the 100 was just too strong for me. But I was wondering, how long does this spacey feeling take to pass? If it passes at all.

#7 lindahurt

lindahurt

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 13,474 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 03:50 PM

I'm on Wellbutrin and of course you do have those start up side effects. You may experience side effects for the next 4 to 6 weeks or so but they should subside. I experienced side effects with Wellbutrin for a couple of weeks but can't say that will be the case for you because meds effect us differently but try to hang in there. The benefits are so much greater than the side effects that do go away eventually. Hope Wellbutrin works for you.

Lindahurt
Even in the most horrific of situations, one's attitude has an enormous role in shaping what happens ~ Viktor Frankl
In you lies the power to choose, to commit - Stephen Convey

The kind of person you want to become is greatly influence by your inner decisions, and not from outside influence alone. We can even under adverse circumstances, decide what shall become of us ~ Brian C. Stiller

Posted Image

#8 playcrackthesky

playcrackthesky

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 03:57 PM

Thanks a lot :) I just hope I'm not a space cadet for a 6 weeks!!! lol

#9 julidarlin

julidarlin

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 04:18 PM

Hi - I felt spacey for a couple of weeks, but it's fine now. You're taking a low dose, so maybe you'll get through this phase quickly.
Take care,
Juli

Edited by julidarlin, 16 February 2011 - 04:18 PM.

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves." ~Dalai Lama

#10 playcrackthesky

playcrackthesky

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:36 AM

Is it safe to take xanax when I have this horrible spacey/high feeling? I'm afraid I'll have a panic attack if I go out in this condition. Not sure if the xanax will make this feeling worse.

#11 Tim 52

Tim 52

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:11 AM

Hi playcrackthesky:

The spacey feeling should pass. Did your doctor prescribe Xanax before or after the Wellbutrin?
There is a good chance the Xanax will help. Would you consider checking with your doctor about experimenting with less than the prescribed dose? That way you can maybe feel a bit more confident about it.

tim

goldenvelope1jr.gifInformation supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor. 

#12 Spiritual_Wanderer

Spiritual_Wanderer

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:53 AM

Hi. I'm going on week 5 and I never really had the spaciness, but I did have several side effects the first week. They went away pretty quickly for me. I think it's working better a little bit more every day now. I think it's safe to say it would be the exception if it didn't pass, but of course, you never know how each individual will react to antidepressants. I know I am much more happy taking this than the serotonin SSRI ADs.

Best wishes!
Many Blessings,
SW
goldenvelope1jr.gif

#13 Spiritual_Wanderer

Spiritual_Wanderer

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:25 AM

Update. Today.. day seven. I don't have that scary super exhausted feeling. But I do have that totally spacey feeling, like really bad. I had my scrip changed to 75mg. Anyone else experience the spacey feeling? When will it go away? Will it go away?

I didn't really get the spacey feeling, but it is very common. I believe it usually subsides by the second week. The side effects will go away. I'm on week 5 and it's getting better all the time. I never felt exhausted, usually the opposite! Exhaustion could be a symptom of the depression/anxiety which hopefully the medication will help in the weeks to come!

:smile:
Many Blessings,
SW
goldenvelope1jr.gif

#14 playcrackthesky

playcrackthesky

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:13 PM

Hi,I just switched from 100mg sr to 75mgxr today and I am having heavy rapid heart beat..I guess because the med is released all at once.I was wondering if anyone else experienced this and does it go away! after how long? Safe to take Xanax to slow down heart rate?

#15 BetterOff

BetterOff

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,232 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:33 PM

Hello, sound like a usual side-effect that will go away in time as your body adapts to the new method of delivery and the new dosage, but to be on the safe side, talk to your doctor about this. Same with the xanax, is it okay to take for this problem. We would hate to tell you wrong here on DF as we are not doctors and if we gave bad advice we would feel terrible if it was wrong. Allways check with your doctor if issues like this occur.
Good Luck and best wishes. I think if you hang in there as your body adjusts to the new delivery system, you will find these effects will vanish over time, but it will take awhile for your body time to re-adjust to the new delivery sytstem...
Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#16 playcrackthesky

playcrackthesky

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:40 PM

Thank you,I called my pharmacist and he said that my body is just not used to the med being released so fast. And i should get used to it,my doctor doesn't really like to be bothered..I don't have insurance so I can only call himso many times before he gets annoyed. But I don't have that stoned feeling on this version!! I actualy feel more clear..not sure if it's the placebo effect or what. I was on 100mg sr for a week and it was making me feel sooo high and out of it.

#17 playcrackthesky

playcrackthesky

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:28 PM

Sorry for posting for much, but I'm new with anti depressants. For the longest time I was afraid to touch anything, even vitamins (I don't even drink, because I don't like the feeling of being out of control). But I hit a heavy heavy depression and first I tried vitamins and they did not help, in fact I think they made me worse. So I finally gave into being put on an anti depressant.

I know this sound a little stupid, but I'm totally ignorant to anti-depressants. But, once this anti depressants starts working, will it actually make me start caring about things again? Like I use to love going out and doing my hair and made sure that everything in my home was clean and perfect... I took pride in things. And now I really have no desire to even look at myself in the mirror. I feel so disconnected with myself.

I was on 100mg sr but it was making me have really really bad side effects, where I could hardly function. So I got lowered down to 75mg. Do you think that 75mg is enough to lift depression? Some people on here start off on like.. 150mg and for alot of them, it doesn't even bother them.

#18 playcrackthesky

playcrackthesky

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:49 PM

I feel like the 75xr is actually giving me anxiety... as apose to the 100mg sr just making me feel spacey. Is this common?

#19 Spiritual_Wanderer

Spiritual_Wanderer

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:17 PM

Seems like maybe this medication is too energizing and stimulating for your system. I've only taken the SR version and I had anxiety for the first few days. It is a common side effect, but if it's too extreme or severe for you to function, you should contact your doctor right away. Hope you feel better.

Many Blessings,
SW
goldenvelope1jr.gif

#20 playcrackthesky

playcrackthesky

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:34 PM

Yea the 100mg just makes me feel like I'm in a dream world, I heard that other people had that affect too and it got better. I'm just gonna try it out for another week to see if it helps any. What about the depression part though? If I go get past this rough patch. And the depression is relieved some what.. does it make you actually want to do thing and start caring again?

Edited by playcrackthesky, 17 February 2011 - 05:41 PM.

#21 Spiritual_Wanderer

Spiritual_Wanderer

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:51 PM

Yea the 100mg just makes me feel like I'm in a dream world, I heard that other people had that affect too and it got better. I'm just gonna try it out for another week to see if it helps any. What about the depression part though? If I go get past this rough patch. And the depression is relieved some what.. does it make you actually want to do thing and start caring again?

Well, what I've noticed (only going on 5 weeks) is that it helps me not to dwell on depression and anxiety as much. I still feel it, but it passes a lot faster. I don't think any medicine can just take it all away. It just helps you cope better and seems to lessen the severity of emotional distress.

I've heard people say that it did make them able to go out more and do things. I know I feel more energetic.
Many Blessings,
SW
goldenvelope1jr.gif

#22 playcrackthesky

playcrackthesky

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:38 PM

Thanks for getting back to me. I really want to try to make this med work for me because I have both depersonalzation and visual snow and almost every antidepressant makes either one worse. This is like the only one that doesn't make either of them worse than they already are.

#23 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,850 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 06:36 PM

The purpose of an AD is to lift your mood to enable you to function at a higher level. That means you will basically want to take interest in your appearance, your house, go out with friends, etc. WB is a very energizing SNRI and can have some 3effect on sleep and anxiety. You mentioend taking Xanax in a previous post. We cannot advise you whether to take it or not. That is something you need to discuss with your pdoc.

SEs usually last a few weeks. If they last longer and are increasingly troublesome, time yet again to talk with your pdoc.
Sheepwoman
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#24 playcrackthesky

playcrackthesky

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 06:47 PM

Thank you. So today is my 9th day and I didn't have that strange "high spell" during the day today. But when I woke up, I felt super out of it and I went to the store and felt like I was dreaming. Then when I got home, it wasn't so bad. At about 5pm the super out of it, sleepy feeling/confusion came back to me. Could it be because I'm only on 100mg and by the end of the day, I'm withdrawing from the med? Or will this just past? I sure hope it does, it's scary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users