Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Do Your Symptoms Worsen Before Your Period?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 hopeful rainbow

hopeful rainbow

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:11 AM

I suffer from depression/anxiety and on the whole I can usually keep things together, except just before my period. I actually scare myself with how out of control my emotions and actions can become. I break up with my partner almost every month and I literally cannot function the whole week leading up to my period. I can't go outside, go to work, get out of bed etc and feel extremely suicidal. Does anybody else experience this? I am going through hell!

#2 Trace

Trace

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,085 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:19 AM

Hi hopeful rainbow

This can be really common. Here are 2 links to topics that may help you.

http://www.depressio...-disorder-pmdd/

http://www.depressio...-my-pmdd-story/

Trace
Listen in deep silence. Be very still and open your mind.... Sink deep into the peace that waits for you beyond the frantic, riotous thoughts and sights and sounds of this insane world. - A course of miracles.

True beauty must come, must be grown, from within.... - Ralph W Trine.

Posted Image

#3 tamsynx

tamsynx

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:15 AM

Mine happens the week after my period. The anxiety gets a lot worse and I have trouble leaving the house. I think it's fairly common for things to get worse at the same time as PMS/PMDD, so you are not alone! Yours sounds a bit severe. Are you on medication?
I am not a doctor. All I can do is offer my opinion.

#4 Spiritual_Wanderer

Spiritual_Wanderer

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:25 AM

I suffer from depression/anxiety and on the whole I can usually keep things together, except just before my period. I actually scare myself with how out of control my emotions and actions can become. I break up with my partner almost every month and I literally cannot function the whole week leading up to my period. I can't go outside, go to work, get out of bed etc and feel extremely suicidal. Does anybody else experience this? I am going through hell!

Hi. Yes, I just "started" my period and had insomnia like crazy night before last. I almost had an anxiety attack and thought it was due to a medicine combination, but now it makes me wonder if it wasn't just a PMS thing.

It is very common I think, but in my view, you should try as hard as you can not to "take it out" on your loved ones. You may have pre-menstrual syndrome and might wish to consider if medication might help, especially if it prevents you from working and functioning.

My mom had it real bad and I remember her being in bed for days when she had her period and I was a kid.
Many Blessings,
SW
goldenvelope1jr.gif

Not all those who wander are lost. - J.R.R. Tolkien
Don't let the muggles get you down. ― J.K. Rowling

#5 Steveab63

Steveab63

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:21 PM

PMDD. My wife is on Sarafem, another name for Prozac which is another name for fluoxitine. Same stuff, different marketing. She's completely intolerable @ PMS without, much better with the Sarafem.
Steve

#6 Wilo77

Wilo77

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:27 AM

Nothing seems to be different during that time I am a few days out from mine and I'm feeling fine but its different for everyone so its not a crazy observation your making.

#7 Liliah

Liliah

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:39 AM

Hey,

The week before the period, the side effects of my medication can become more pronounced. I don't have any on the daily, but for two or three days a month, I feel as if I just started up my AD again! It is so strange—the exact same side effects I first had, but they've gone away completely. At least I know how to be prepared for it now. But I think a linkage between mood and your period is common—for anyone. No fun at all. I don't even want kids! :)

—Liliah

#8 Aniela

Aniela

• PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:09 AM

Ya I have noticed I cry more around my period / the week before my period. I used to not get any indicator but now I know it is coming because I get worse and more out of control of my moods. My fiance noticed first before I did. Now I noticed now that I am on medication as I am somewhat "normal" .. until that time.
I try to be strong and not let them see my vulnerability.
I have a chronic need for approval but am told it's not about me.
I really want to belong somewhere and just to be happy....
To be wanted by those around me, especially friends and family.

#9 Spiritual_Wanderer

Spiritual_Wanderer

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:30 AM

When I get insomnia, that usually means "it" is on its way. An interesting tidbit is to start to take notice of the lunar cycle and find out which phase is tied to your menstrual cycle. You'll start to notice that it regulates with a certain phase of the moon more than others. Mine usually occurs during the waning crescent , which is the last part of the cycle before the "new moon." It's an interesting topic!
Many Blessings,
SW
goldenvelope1jr.gif

#10 bisous

bisous

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:37 PM

in the last few months i noticed i became more irritable and mood swingy the week before my period but in the past couple cycles it's been really bad. my last period i still had quite bad symptoms for a few days after my (short) period ended and then a week of calm before the mood swings started again, i think the worst they've ever been. this time my symptoms disappeared as soon as my period started (which is always around the full moon it seems!) i'm really not sure what to think because the fact the symptoms didn't go away as soon as my period started last time made me think it was unrelated, but this time there's a definite correlation.

my mum also says that her depression gets much worse from a week after her period finishes.

i'm worried about a few things if this is the case though. like some of the things i get (like paranoia that has got a bit scarier recently, racing/obsessive thoughts, really disturbed sleeping patterns etc) dont seem to fit the "PMS/PMDD" schema as such. i'm also already dreading it if it comes back because if this happened 2-3 weeks of every month i would probably fail my degree.

i'm also quite a boisterous/aggressive/argumentative person in general (or am i?!?! maybe i'm just constantly PMSing) and i get accused of PMSing a lot, and i'm seen as a not very "feminine" woman or a Biotchy feminist. and if it really was PMDD that was causing my mood swings i would feel SO bad and embarrassed about it i wouldn't be able to tell anyone cos they would just be like "oh she's just PMSing" whether i was or not. and i think to most people it wouldn't sound serious at all even though it FEELS SERIOUS. and even feminists might think i was betraying the cause or something.

i know these are stupid things to think about when you're just trying to keep track of your moods and keep your mood on track... but because sometimes there are a lot of people i am supposed to answer to about work i haven't done or arguments i've started with my friends because of paranoia or stuff around the house i've failed to do that my flatmates have to pick up the slack on... to email my tutors or leave notes to my friends or something that just say "sorry i did/didn't do x, I was PMSing!" it just sounds so ridiculous. my GP told me to email my tutors telling them i was having troubles with my mood and things and i couldn't do it. it just sounds so silly and like a crap excuse - i can't exactly tell them i was too sad to get out of bed! it's like only since the whole thing has sort of evaporated have i really made headway getting on with work because i've been alternately so tired or unmotivated or anxious or irritable or wired and just unable to think about things in a balanced way. it's like i lose the ability to think very far into the past or the future... my memory goes kaput... i don't even recognise myself v much as a whole person.

so i'm really worried about having to explain s*** to people. so yeah basically i hope stuff stops happening or i get some really effective treatment so it doesnt affect me anymore Posted Image

Edited by bisous, 17 February 2011 - 08:39 PM.

#11 savma4

savma4

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:26 PM

Don't feel alone by any means with this. I go through this every month. I have 4 kids and a husband who believes that there really are monsters and mommy becomes one. Sad... I know ... This has been new over the past few months and am really trying to find what to do to fix it... I miss my life.

#12 Spiritual_Wanderer

Spiritual_Wanderer

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:06 PM

I definitely still see symptoms coinciding with my cycle. Sometimes severe ones. I do think it is connected for some people w/o doubt.
Many Blessings,
SW
goldenvelope1jr.gif

#13 starla1979

starla1979

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:42 AM

YES, i get extremely moody/tearful right before. I'm taking a mood stabilizer but I still feel the 'dark cloud' forming in my head at that time

#14 Brokenme

Brokenme

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:49 AM

I have used this app called 'moody me', I tracked my mood daily for almost a year, and it did confirm that my mood does drop quite a bit in the few days before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users